inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Whitney Houston

Written By: T on 07/15/04 at 2:00 pm

Whitney Houston is one of my favorite entertainers and I just wonder was she a better entertainer in the 80s or 90s, or a better entertainer now. I really haven't heard any news about her lately but I wish her the best.

Subject: Re: Whitney Houston

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/15/04 at 9:40 pm

She was the bomb in the 80's, pretty good in the 90's.  Not much of anythign now...which makes me sad.  I loved her when I was in Junior high and High School.  I loved her vidoes and every song she made.
She has a album out now called "just whitney" but I dont know how good it is.

I have her greatest hits dvd of videos and i watch it alot its cool to have flashbacks and see her funny videos.  I love I wanna Dace with somebody.

I was bummed when i saw the interview with her and Barbara or soemone liek that and she acted like she was on drugs.  I really thougth she was great and it has ruined my happy memories of her...and Michael Jackson too  :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/04 at 9:46 pm

She was the bomb in the 80's, pretty good in the 90's.  Not much of anythign now...which makes me sad.  I loved her when I was in Junior high and High School.  I loved her vidoes and every song she made.
She has a album out now called "just whitney" but I dont know how good it is.

I have her greatest hits dvd of videos and i watch it alot its cool to have flashbacks and see her funny videos.  I love I wanna Dace with somebody.

I was bummed when i saw the interview with her and Barbara or soemone liek that and she acted like she was on drugs.  I really thougth she was great and it has ruined my happy memories of her...and Michael Jackson too  :-[

Hey, Whitney's the one who sang, "No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity..."  So go figure!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/15/04 at 9:56 pm

Man I look like I can't spell in my last post  :o

I forgot to mention that I love the movie "The bodyguard" and I love the soundtrack to it.  I had never seen it till a few months ago...now I own it.  man Kevin Costner is CUTE in that movie!

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/15/04 at 9:59 pm

Not a big fan, but if anything, her 80s music is the best.  I do like a few songs from her here and there--back from when she used to have talent.  :-\\

Does anyone remember from a couple years ago the reason why she skipped her father's funeral?  Well, it was an early morning service, and she said she was a night owl.  Isn't that terrible? ???

Written By: zcrito on 07/15/04 at 10:02 pm

Hey, Whitney's the one who sang, "No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity..."  So go figure!

"Greatest Love of All".
The Whitney trashed that song.  >:(
It was originally done by George Benson and used in the Muhammad Ali movie "The Greatest".

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 10:30 pm

Whitney Houston is one of my favorite entertainers and I just wonder was she a better entertainer in the 80s or 90s, or a better entertainer now. I really haven't heard any news about her lately but I wish her the best.
I liked her in the 80's and the "Bodyguard" movie....she used to seem happier...I guess getting beaten up by bobby brown would sadden anyone though :(

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/16/04 at 11:07 am

I just wonder was she a better entertainer in the 80s or 90s,

The 80's

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/16/04 at 11:46 am

Not a big fan, but if anything, her 80s music is the best.  I do like a few songs from her here and there--back from when she used to have talent.  :-\\

Does anyone remember from a couple years ago the reason why she skipped her father's funeral?  Well, it was an early morning service, and she said she was a night owl.  Isn't that terrible? ???

OMG.. now thats just hideous.  Unless you get in a wreck on the way there or something, theres no excuse for that.

As far as her music, I really liked her 80s stuff.  The last thing I liked was "Im Your Baby Tonight" but that was getting transitional to 90s feel.  Anything after that I just hated.  "I Will Always Love You" just makes me wanna put in earplugs, unfortunately it would still cut through.  (Dolly Partons version of it was great.)  And anything else she did in the 90s just sounded too Celine-Dion-ish whose music I also hate with a passion, with the exception of her extremely early stuff which was ok.

Written By: prettypete on 07/17/04 at 12:36 am

The 80's. I think her hit "you give good love" came out in the summer of 85 which happens to be my favorite summer of all time so that song always brings back great memories.

Written By: JT74 on 07/17/04 at 2:06 am

Her career definitely peaked in the 80s/early 90s.  Now she's nothing more than a drugged out shell of who she used to be. 

Most people know that she was hooked on cocaine/crack and probably still is.  That garbage sucked out every bid of talent she once had.

Written By: Bobby on 07/17/04 at 6:54 am

I preferred Whitney around 1985 - 1988. Everything beyond that was quite flat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/04 at 11:56 am

I like "One Moment in Time" (I think that was Whitney) that was the theme for one of the Olympics-1984 (?)

Cat

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/17/04 at 9:29 pm

She sang the Star Spangled Banner pretty darn good too...I recently heard it on the 4th :)

Written By: Howard on 07/18/04 at 1:36 pm

http://www.whitney-houston.com/graphics/top/live04.jpg

I remember she had good music back in 1984-1985 after that I never cared for her that much anymore. :P

Howard

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 07/19/04 at 1:49 am

Was never a HUGE fan, but I would say in the 80's she was better.  Course, to ME, some of that stuff sucked too..but by the 90's (with the exception of The Bodyguard), and after she married Bobby Brown (I never COULD understand that myself--ODD couple!) it seemed to me that she was more tabloid fodder than an entertainer.  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...