inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite snacks of the 80s

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/15/04 at 5:51 pm

Anyone remember the original Tostitos nacho cheese?  I do.  I also absolutely loved the picante sauce when it was in a can.  Or how 'bout Salsa Rio tostitos or something like that.  I think they had the most flavor of any tortilla chip product.  Now for the tough ones.  Frito lay's Fantastiks.  I could and did eat 3 to 4 bags or 'em a week( I could never make up my mind, Onion or Au grauten)  Now an inquiry,  What were the snacks that Frito lay's made in 1986, they were tubes(not pretzel) filled with cheese or french onion dip type fillings?  I used to get them at the grocery store at the Naval Air Station, in Meridian MS, at first and still could later in MN but all of a sudden they dissappeared.  Just curious and hungry!
God lyk!

Subject: Re: Favorite snacks of the 80s

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/15/04 at 7:11 pm

Let's not forget Jell-O first came out with their pudding pops in the 80's I can't remember a flavor that I didn't try at least once. But my favorite snack back then(and now) is Orville Redenbacher's Microwave Popcorn. OK, they didn't have the movie theater butter flavor in the 80's, but the original was just as delicious. May I also recall Fruit Roll-Ups and all Keebler's E.L. Fudge cookies(best variation was the chocolate w/peanut butter filling!). What other snacks were there? Anyone?

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Howard on 07/15/04 at 7:21 pm

http://theimaginaryworld.com/chocchip.jpg

small chocolate chip cookies. :)

Howard

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/15/04 at 9:46 pm

I remember these cookies from the early 80s called Yum-Yums.  I only had them once, they were kinda like Girl Scouts Samoas.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/04 at 9:55 pm

Ben & Jerry's
Cherry Garcia
ice cream

I also liked Jello Pudding Pops, Nestle Crunch ice cream bars, Fruje Glaje (or whaever that premium ice cream was called), Haagen Dazs bars, and Dove Bars, and thats just frozen treats!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/15/04 at 9:58 pm

Man those pudding pops were good...why the heck would they stop making those???

I remember there used to be Taco Doritos...those were very good.  They have some taco flavored rolitos now but they just arnt as good. 

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/15/04 at 10:07 pm

I remember there used to be Taco Doritos...those were very good. 

Mmm!  They still make Taco Doritos!  At least they still were a couple years ago.

Haha.. I am such a big fan of Doritos, I grossed everyone at my lunch table out every single day.. I would buy at least one or two bags of Doritos at lunch!  One of the guys I sit with can't stand the smell! ;D

Back on topic.. since I was born in '88, I obviously don't remember any snack foods of the 80s. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/16/04 at 7:19 pm

Lick-M-Aids were good.you'd get a vanilla flavored dipping stick then you would dip in 3 flavors Cherry,Lemon Grape! :P

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 7:27 pm

Ben & Jerry's
Cherry Garcia
ice cream

I also liked Jello Pudding Pops, Nestle Crunch ice cream bars, Fruje Glaje (or whaever that premium ice cream was called), Haagen Dazs bars, and Dove Bars, and thats just frozen treats!
Ben and Jerry's CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH was my ice cream of choice in the '80s as well as Pathmark's(store brand)HEAVENLY HASH ice cream(sorta like rocky road but better)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 7:33 pm

Choco Taco ice cream bars! As well as Klondike bars...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 7:35 pm

Choco Taco ice cream bars! As well as Klondike bars...
Fruit Roll-Ups were cool too! Not like those junky 'fruit'snacks around today!!

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/17/04 at 11:19 am

Now an inquiry,  What were the snacks that Frito lay's made in 1986, they were tubes(not pretzel) filled with cheese or french onion dip type fillings?  I used to get them at the grocery store at the Naval Air Station, in Meridian MS, at first and still could later in MN but all of a sudden they dissappeared.  Just curious and hungry!
God lyk!

These sound like Combos, a popular snack around here today.  I don't think Frito Lay makes them, though.  I don't know if this is for sure what you were talking about.

Look familiar?:
http://www.danfun.net/livsmedel/combospizza.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/04 at 11:53 am

I kept a drawer in my desk full of eatibles (in case I didn't get out for lunch or if I got the munchies throughout the day). I had cup-o-noodles (great to quickly heat up in the microwave for lunch), beef jerky and Little Debbie's oatmeal cookies-still love those.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/17/04 at 2:48 pm

These sound like Combos, a popular snack around here today.  I don't think Frito Lay makes them, though.  I don't know if this is for sure what you were talking about.

Look familiar?:

Yeah,those were good.Pepperoni Pizza was my favorite Combo snack. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/17/04 at 2:56 pm

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics3/ca17.jpg

How about the Marshmallow Rice Krispies Treats? ;D

Howard

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/17/04 at 6:34 pm

Little Debbie's oatmeal cookies-still love those.

Before Dr Atkins took over my diet, I could, ( and on a couple occasions did,) eat a whole box of those delectable delicacies! Besides being 2bits a piece!  I, however, grew quite fond of the Little Debbie Fudge Rounds!
God lyk!

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/17/04 at 6:37 pm

Look familiar?:

Nope, These came in a foil bag with a sealable top.  I don't believe Combos ever came in a french onion dip flavor.  Also they were not filled pretzels.  I can't find any evidence of their ever existing but I also can't find any evidence of Fantastiks either!
God lyk!

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 07/19/04 at 12:06 am

I too miss the Jello pudding pops. They have some new ones out now but they just aren't the same  :-[

Written By: Carrie on 07/20/04 at 1:25 am

Man those pudding pops were good...why the heck would they stop making those???

I remember there used to be Taco Doritos...those were very good.  They have some taco flavored rolitos now but they just arnt as good. 

I agree about the Pudding Pops!

They make Taco Doritos (at least around where I live) but they do not taste the same. The old ones tasted so good.

Also...
New York Seltzer or Zeltzer Seltzer. I loved this! It was flavored seltzer water. There were other similar drinks to this, it was a big fad for a while.
Blizzards from Dairy Queen... I remember when these came out in the 80's and I thought they were soooo cool... mixing candy bar pieces in ice cream... ingenious!  :P

Written By: bj26 on 07/20/04 at 6:57 am

My favorite snaks were the nachos you could fix yourself in the 7-11 stores. You got to douse the chips with as much processed cheese sauce and jalapenos you wanted, that was good eatin ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 11:48 am

http://theimaginaryworld.com/chocchip.jpg

small chocolate chip cookies. :)

Howard

I loved those cookies! I got a box after church every Sunday. I remember pudding pops too. I liked the vanilla and the banana. The variety pack rocked!

Check for new replies or respond here...