inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Live aid- dvd

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/18/04 at 3:07 pm

BURBANK, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 07/16/2004 -- Warner Strategic Marketing is pleased to announce that the biggest concert in Rock n' Roll history, Live Aid, will be released on DVD worldwide on November 1st, 2004. The unforgettable global event, staged in London and Philadelphia on Saturday, 13 July 1985, was watched on television by over 1.5 billion people around the world. These concerts led to pledged donations and royalties of over $140 million towards the devastating famine in Africa.

Billed as The Greatest Show on Earth, Live Aid was described by the world's media as "The Global Jukebox," "The Day Rock and Roll Changed the World" and "The greatest live show ever."

Live Aid was cited as the second most memorable event in two generations and only two weeks ago was defined, in a consumer poll, as the single greatest moment in the 50-year history of rock 'n' roll, beating not only the launch of MTV and Elvis' first record but also topping the poll ahead of the seminal festival of the '60s, Woodstock.

Live Aid, the greatest artists playing the greatest music for the world's poorest people and changing the global political agenda forever.

Live Aid was uniquely staged simultaneously on two continents and features an unbelievable line up of major Rock & Pop acts that took to the stage in July 1985 at London's Wembley and Philadelphia's JFK Stadiums.

Even today, after almost 20 years, the line up of stars put together by Bob Geldof in a matter of months remains both remarkable and unsurpassed. It is a who's who of contemporary music; united in their unequivocal support for Live Aid to prevent mass death for starving people.

The extraordinary line-up includes: U2, Sting, David Bowie, Elton John, George Michael, The Who, Madonna, Queen, Paul McCartney, Phil Collins, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, Eric Clapton, Duran Duran, Neil Young, Ozzy Osbourne & Black Sabbath, Spandau Ballet, Dire Straits, Paul Weller, Sade, Paul Young, Adam Ant, The Boomtown Rats, The Cars, Bryan Ferry, Bryan Adams, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Crosby Stills & Nash, The Beach Boys, Judas Priest, The Style Council, Simple Minds, Thompson Twins, Nile Rodgers, Hall & Oates, Status Quo, The Pretenders, Elvis Costello, Howard Jones, Teddy Pendergrass, Alison Moyet, and Kenny Logins.

Since that great day this historic concert footage has remained locked away and the announcement of its imminent DVD release is therefore indeed momentous. Unscrupulous bootleggers have tried to sell the concert on the black market but have been shut down and prosecuted on a number of occasions.

This has forced the Band Aid Trust to seek permission from all the artists to be included in the four-disc Live Aid set, an eventuality that was never anticipated at the time of Live Aid.

Now in time for the 20th anniversary of Live Aid and after 19 years in the vaults, Warner Strategic Marketing will release those unforgettable performances on a Live Aid, 4 DVD package out on November 2, 2004.

Currently in production with the master videotapes and over 10 hours of performances the DVD will be superbly presented and re-mastered in multi-channel surround sound and stereo audio options. Within the set additional gems include the "Food, Trucks & Rock 'n' Roll" documentary (sub-titled in 8 languages) and inspirational Live Aid performances from other parts of the globe.

Live Aid on DVD is the most eagerly anticipated music DVD of the decade.

The Band Aid Trust is obliged to maximize its assets and in a hotly-contested open bidding invitation London-based Warner Vision International secured a licence to represent and distribute, worldwide, the Live Aid 4-disc set. Live Aid remains the asset of the Band Aid Trust.

Warner Vision International's Ray Still commented. "There is only one music event that begs the question 'Where were you on that day?' and that is Live Aid. Over 1.5 billion TV viewers tuned in, on July 13, 1985, to the extraordinary event that was Live Aid.

"It's an understatement to say that it's a great pleasure and an honour for Warner Vision to be involved in bringing all the extraordinary moments and performances that encapsulated Live Aid to DVD for the first time."

Bob Geldof added: "Twenty years ago they not only played 'real good for free,' they took an issue that was nowhere on the agenda of the political world and placed it at the very top.

"They also kept, directly or indirectly, millions of people alive and in so doing they reminded 1.5 billion people that individuals are not powerless in the face of monstrous human tragedy.

"By buying the Live Aid DVD, that day continues far off into some distant but hopefully better future for all those people in whose name those great artists played."

Since the concert the Band Aid Trust in the UK alone has raised over $50 million and continues to operate in famine affected countries in Africa.

(Courtesey Market Wire)

Subject: Re: Live aid- dvd

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/24/04 at 3:50 am

Since that great day this historic concert footage has remained locked away

Hehehe not locked away here !  I have the entire show taped live that day on my treasured Beta VCR plus the 7 hour Australian version taped the day before.

Very treasured tapes they are.

If they are only releasing ten hours on DVD - there is an awful lot cut out.

But I await the dvd with antici.....................................pation.

I should get off my butt and get all my tapes from the day put on a dvd for safekeeping.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 11:36 am

I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I vividly remember watching it on t.v. while it was going on at J.F.K. stadium (may it rest in peace). Yet, we had to pick my dad up b/c he had the night shift and we listened to it on the channel six radio news station.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/25/04 at 2:42 am

while it was going on at J.F.K. stadium (may it rest in peace).

Ohhh has that stadium been knocked down ?  How sad - when you think Wembley Stadium was knocked down late last year (or was it early this year - Philbo ? Karen ?).

Both stadiums gone. :(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 10:48 am

Wembley Stadium is gone? Are you serious? Geez, I feel old.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/25/04 at 9:51 pm

This article said that the Live Aid DVD will be released on November 1st? Hmmm...according to official sources on the Ultravox official website (Midge Ure, of course, being an important part of Band Aid and Live Aid, along with Sir Bob) the DVD is set to be released on the 10th of November. These "official sources" are people who are involved with the former members of the band directly. Anyhoo...I'll look for it on both dates, especially since it's been announced that Ultravox' performance will appear on the DVD!!! ;D I'll be looking forward to that! Same with the rest of the performances too, because I watched almost all of it...but I unfortunately don't remember a whole lot of it.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 10:40 pm

I'm definitely picking up a copy asap!

Tanya

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/26/04 at 12:41 pm

Something I wish to recant from my last post:

I'd said that an "official source" said that the DVD would be released on November 10th. I was mistaken. I looked back and it was someone on the Ultravox official site forum who said this, but not an official source. Just a regular forum poster. Someone else (again, not an offical source), however, posted the exact same article saying it will be released on the first. So I'm a bit confused. I think I'll believe it to be the first of November, since that was what was printed in the press. Sorry for the confusion! :D

I'll be waiting for the DVD with baited breath!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/31/04 at 1:16 am

Wembley Stadium is gone? Are you serious? Geez, I feel old.

Gone indeed Tanya.  And it was a Perth company Multiplex who went over to do the multimillion dollar deed - so I am deeply ashamed to be a Perthite.

If you know anyone with the Queen DVD "Live at Wembley" - one of the extras is called The Towers and its footage of the Wembley towers being destroyed over 2 or 3 days - with Brian and Roger talking about how sad the event is.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 07/31/04 at 9:48 am

Well, Multiplex won the contract to build the new stadium - so I guess they actually had to knock the old one down first! :D Otherwise someone else would have.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/01/04 at 12:51 am

Well, Multiplex won the contract to build the new stadium - so I guess they actually had to knock the old one down first! :D Otherwise someone else would have.

It was offered as two separate contracts.  Initially Multiplex was only interested in the knocking down side of it.  They didnt even bid for the construction side of it until some time later.

Cant move in Perth without running into a Multiplex destruction or construction.  Sad really.

Check for new replies or respond here...