inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Overrated '80's Artist

Written By: woops on 07/22/04 at 1:07 am

My choices: Journey & Whitney Houston

Subject: Re: Most Overrated '80's Artist

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/22/04 at 2:54 am

RUN DMC!  Those diety condemned pioneers of rap.
God lyk!

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/22/04 at 7:09 am

I love Duran Duran. Sorry I miss understood the question.

Written By: redhead007 on 07/22/04 at 7:11 am

Madonna, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and Whitney Houston. But Madonna probably takes the cake.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/22/04 at 8:23 am

Other:  David Lee Roth solo :P

Written By: rubixgirl on 07/22/04 at 8:46 am

Duran Duran

You think DD is overrated??  ??? :o

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/22/04 at 9:55 am

huey lewis and the news. i never got them and i never saw there appeal.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/22/04 at 11:05 am

My choices were Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Whitney Houston.

...And what's Depeche Mode doing on the list?!  ???

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/22/04 at 11:07 am

Duran Duran

Erm...are you sure you didn't misread the question? I thought you were a fan! ???

Absolutely Vile

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/22/04 at 11:15 am

Other: New Kids On The Block

Written By: Mangoo on 07/22/04 at 11:46 am

I chose Cyndi Lauper I found her voice so annoying.

Written By: Koop on 07/22/04 at 11:51 am

My choices: Huey Lewis and the News, John Cougar Mellencamp, Wham/George Michael, Whitney Houston and 'other' Phill Collins.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/22/04 at 12:11 pm

huey lewis and the news. i never got them and i never saw there appeal.

What are you, sputnik? Some kind of metalhead? Huey's appeal was that they didn't resort to stupid gimmicks and horror-movie stunts to reel in an audiences. They actually took the time to write good music and played straight with their fans. People go to their concerts to hear them play music, not shock them with idiocy. NTM, they've recorded some excellent rock tunes! You want overrated? Try Madonna & Jacko!

Your pal,
Doc

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/22/04 at 12:47 pm

...And what's Depeche Mode doing on the list?!  ???

Absolutely Vile

I was wondering the same thing about Journey.  ??? :(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/22/04 at 12:48 pm

In no particular order....

Madonna
Michael Jackson
Whitney Houston  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/22/04 at 12:50 pm

What are you, sputnik? Some kind of metalhead? Huey's appeal was that they didn't resort to stupid gimmicks and horror-movie stunts to reel in an audiences. They actually took the time to write good music and played straight with their fans. People go to their concerts to hear them play music, not shock them with idiocy. NTM, they've recorded some excellent rock tunes! You want overrated? Try Madonna & Jacko!

Your pal,
Doc

Well said, Doc!  :)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/22/04 at 2:06 pm

Madonna.. I never saw her appeal.. :P

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/22/04 at 2:48 pm

Your pal,
Doc

Pardon me for saying...but who are you to criticise and insult someone for their opinion? No one's opinion is either right or wrong, and you have no business judging them.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/22/04 at 3:51 pm

Pardon me for saying...but who are you to criticise and insult someone for their opinion? No one's opinion is either right or wrong, and you have no business judging them.

Absolutely Vile

AV, I don't believe Doc was criticizing sputnik...he was simply asking if he was into 'heavy metal', as opposed to regular rock and roll.  Then he went on to point out the good things about Huey Lewis & The News.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/22/04 at 4:10 pm

AV, I don't believe Doc was criticizing sputnik...he was simply asking if he was into 'heavy metal', as opposed to regular rock and roll.  Then he went on to point out the good things about Huey Lewis & The News.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

I didn't see it that way at all. It doesn't make any difference what kind of music someone is into. If they don't like a certain group, that's their choice! I don't understand why Doc Brown would assume that Sputnik is a "metalhead" (which I don't think he is) simply because he doesn't like Huey Lewis. I don't like them either, and I'm certainly not a "metalhead!!" Doc can also point out all the merits he wants about Huey Lewis, but I don't think it's going to change Sputnik's, mine, or anyone else's mind.

If someone was to tell me that they didn't like any of my favourite groups, I wouldn't be throwing a hissy-fit! I'd accept it as their opinion and move on with my life...unless, of course, that person attacked a particular group personally. Then I'd have to have words.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Dagwood on 07/22/04 at 6:27 pm

Madonna, Michael Jackson and INXS.

Written By: RolandOrzabalFan on 07/22/04 at 8:07 pm

Why is The Cure on the list? They wern't overrated, they were underrated!
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

P.S. : I am also Alana!!! Look 4 me using RolandOrzabalFan!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/04 at 7:06 am

Whitney Houston
Bon Jovi
Wham
Run DMC
INXS
:P

Written By: Powerslave on 07/23/04 at 7:16 am

Well I'm a huge heavy metal fan and I like much of Huey's material. I wouldn't say he was over-rated however. If I had to pick someone from that list, my vote would be for Whitney Houston. Just about all the rest had at least some level of artistic integrity. Houston was just a diva singer with little or no say over her own career.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/23/04 at 10:38 am

whoa...for the record, i wasn't a metalhead. i like a few metal bands but i never copied the style. i was also into new wave and goth and the music i most listen too in the 80s was 50s,60s, and 70s classic rock. huey lewis and the news would definitly fit into the sound i was in to (soul and blues), but i never cared for them.

and no, i'm not offended. i don't post often on these boards for many of the regulars to really know who i am.

Written By: Gtaman56 on 07/24/04 at 11:41 pm

I chose Cyndi Lauper I found her voice so annoying.

I think Cyndi Lauper has a great voice.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/10/05 at 11:41 am

You think DD is overrated??  ??? :o

No,Sorry I miss understood the question.

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/29/05 at 1:12 pm

Soft Cell

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/29/05 at 1:31 pm

ah, this topic again. for the record, huey lewis blows. comformist rock at it's very worst, sorry my pal doc... :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/29/05 at 2:48 pm

New Kids On The Block

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/29/05 at 3:04 pm

I think a BIG part of Huey Lewis' appeal was that he was so squeaky clean, kiddy pop if you will. I quite liked "Power Of Love" and "Stuck With You" at their time of release, but had definitely grown out of them, come the end of the 80s. Never could stand "Perfect World" or "Doin' It All For My Baby". "Hip To Be Square" is another of those songs that I hate more than life itself, having rehearsed it way too many times with my highschool concert band, OH MY EARS! :-[
IMO, one seriously overrated 80s artist was Marylin. He would not have sold aquat, had he not been Boy Gerrge's best friend/worst enemy, depending what day of the week it was. Boy George had a voice and a personality. All Marylin had going for him was a pretty face and come the release of "Baby, You Left Me", a bad haircut. Incidentally, when I first moved to Sydney, I had a drink at the Exchange hotel and chatted with the same manager who had Marylin thrown out, on that fateful night, back in 1984. ;D

Written By: cagesundercage on 03/30/05 at 2:07 pm

duran duran, definetly.

Written By: ShortCake on 03/30/05 at 5:26 pm

motley, G'N'R and Bon Jovi... theres just somethings and music that are better without seeing whats in the group... :)
im so over the use of fireworks in video clips.. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...