inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harry Truman song

Written By: whiskers4me on 07/23/04 at 2:02 pm

In May of 1980, after Mt. St. Helens blew, there was a song about Harry Truman.  I think it was called "Oh, Harry Truman (Your Spirit Lake is Gone).  Does anyone know if this is right and who sang it and where I can find it?

Subject: Re: Harry Truman song

Written By: rubixgirl on 07/23/04 at 2:40 pm

Lyrics for Harry Truman Song by Chicago

America needs you
Harry Truman
Harry could you please come home
Things are looking bad
I know you would be mad
To see what kind of men
Prevail upon the land you love

America's wondering
How we got here
Harry all we get is lies
We're gettin' safer cars
Rocket ships to mars
From men who'd sell us out
To get themselves a piece of power

We'd love to hear you speak your mind
In plain and simple ways
Call a spade a spade
Like you did back in the day
You would play piano
Each morning walk a mile
Speak of what was going down
Eith honesty and style

America's calling
Harry Truman
Harry you know what to do
The world is turnin' round and losin' lots of ground
Oh Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love
Oh woah woah woah

America's calling
Harry Truman
Harry you know what to do
The world is turnin' round
And losin' lots of ground
So Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love
Oh
Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love
Harry
Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love

Written By: whiskers4me on 07/24/04 at 7:03 am

Thanks but Chicago is not the song about Harry I am looking for.  The lyrics I can remember goes like this:  Oh, Harry Truman, your Spirit Lake is gooone, but OOOOOOOOH, Harry Truman, your spirit will live on and on.
This song was about Harry and Mt. St. Helens.  It was a one hit wonder, and they played it on the radio for about 2 months after the volcano erupted and then I never heard it again except on my 45.

Written By: helpful dude on 08/21/04 at 5:05 am

he're's alittle part of it!!! http://www.castlerock.wednet.edu/Elementary/mtsthelens/harry%20truman/Your%20Spirit%20Lives%20On.wav

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/04 at 6:39 pm

What did the Mount St. Helens eruption have to do with Harry Truman?  Or is that just the event you associate with it?

In 1981, my grandparents came back from a trip to Oregon, and gave me a little jar of Mount St. Helens ash.  I have no idea what became of it.
:P

Written By: danootaandme on 08/22/04 at 6:45 pm

What did the Mount St. Helens eruption have to do with Harry Truman?  Or is that just the event you associate with it?

In 1981, my grandparents came back from a trip to Oregon, and gave me a little jar of Mount St. Helens ash.  I have no idea what became of it.
:P

There was a guy who lived on Mt. St. Helenes whose name just happened to be Harry Truman. 
He refused to leave when they evacuated the mountain.  He died.

Written By: bj26 on 08/23/04 at 7:33 am

I lived in WA State then and remember when dust from Mt. St. Helens covered much of the land east of the Cascades.  I wish I'd have collected a jar full of it, but thought it was a pure nuisance at the time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/04 at 3:19 pm

There was a guy who lived on Mt. St. Helenes whose name just happened to be Harry Truman. 
He refused to leave when they evacuated the mountain.  He died.

Oh, the old geezer who wouldn't leave.  I remember that guy, I fogot his name was Harry Truman, though.

Written By: Rallen on 03/19/08 at 2:20 pm

My name is Ron Allen. I wrote and sang the Harry Truman song and recorded it with my music partner, Steve Asplund the day after the mountain blew. I can be reached at: Rallen@stgco.com or you can view the entire song along with video of the eruption on Youtube.com type in "Harry Truman Song" and double click on the picture of Harry Truman standing on his front porch with a bourbon and coke in hand.  I hope you enjoy the song which is now 28 years old.

Ron Allen

Written By: Atari on 03/19/08 at 3:40 pm

Wow. And there you have it...

Written By: Emma on 06/12/09 at 5:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGwa3N43GB4
i too have been looking to downlaod this song to play at my party cos i love it! :D

Written By: Michael Wrann on 07/13/10 at 1:59 pm

Check eBay for a title called "Harry And The Mountain" by Jerry Dare. It's a 1980 song about Harry Truman and the eruption.

Check for new replies or respond here...