inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you miss the most about the 80's?

Written By: Gtaman56 on 07/25/04 at 4:00 pm

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but share with us what do you miss the most. :)

Subject: Re: What do you miss the most about the 80's?

Written By: T on 07/25/04 at 4:19 pm

I miss the good quality television shows, the fashion, and the great moments I had in the 80s such as: spending time with family and many many more moments.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 07/25/04 at 5:52 pm

Just being a kid.

:)

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/04 at 5:59 pm

Just being a kid.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Chris.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 10:54 pm

Just being a kid. It was a better time to be one. I think the kids growing up in the nineties and now are being screwed royally.

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/26/04 at 7:38 am

I miss the music and the cool clothes!  8)

Written By: rubixgirl on 07/26/04 at 8:11 am

What don't I miss about the 80's... :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/26/04 at 11:45 am

There was more common sense in the world.

This can be expanded to cover many aspects of the 80s.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/26/04 at 12:34 pm

That's my feeling too. I'll list some things off the top of my head:

Arcades
Drive-Ins (movies)
Roller Skating Rinks
Discotheques
80's Original, Fun and Diverse music, styles and fashion
  8)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/26/04 at 12:40 pm

Everything.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/04 at 9:04 pm

The Children's television programming. :(

Howard

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/26/04 at 10:30 pm

THE MUSIC!

It was so original back then. There were still new things to explore, and thus music still was capable of some originality. Nowadays, it just seems to be a rehashment of past decades. Nothing new.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/27/04 at 8:27 am

Rollerskating

Written By: TC1970 on 07/27/04 at 8:57 am

Just being a kid.

TOTALLY!! Plus the music rocked! Unlike now, the music is "in your face"  The innocence of being a kid in the 80's.. You don't have that anymore. Kids are not kids thse days.

Written By: conker on 07/27/04 at 12:06 pm

THE MUSIC!

It was so original back then. There were still new things to explore, and thus music still was capable of some originality. Nowadays, it just seems to be a rehashment of past decades. Nothing new.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/04 at 12:20 pm

My TWENTIES!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/27/04 at 12:22 pm

Not too many people, if any. No one mainstream anyway. If there are any original artists out there, you have to really dig for them.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 07/27/04 at 5:45 pm

definitely being a kid. Damn,what happened to half my life these days? :o

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/27/04 at 7:03 pm

definitely being a kid. darn,what happened to half my life these days? :o

Howard

If you find out, make sure you pass it on to me.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 07/27/04 at 7:06 pm

If you find out, make sure you pass it on to me.

Tanya

I sure will Tanya.I think I miss growing up. ;D

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/04 at 1:13 am

What do I miss most about the '80s?

Um, the future, uh, opportunities...boy, I blew it!  I mean, I really f**ked the dog, as they say!
;)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/28/04 at 6:19 am

Same here

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/28/04 at 7:17 am

What do I miss most about the '80s?

Um, the future, uh, opportunities...boy, I blew it!  I mean, I really f**ked the dog, as they say!
;)

Yeah, what happened to Vienna? :P ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/28/04 at 7:49 am

I miss the great music and my new wave hairdo!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/28/04 at 7:55 am

I still have one! Well, not right now...I got lazy. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: bj26 on 07/28/04 at 10:47 am

I miss living in Seattle '80 - '84 and in Denver '84 -'88.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/04 at 8:31 pm

I miss the music and I used to have a crewcut.  :(

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 07/28/04 at 8:37 pm

REAL video arcades--you know, the ones where all the cigarette-smoking hoodlum teenagers hung out, as opposed to all these watered-down "family fun centers" they have now.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/04 at 8:39 pm

REAL video arcades--you know, the ones where all the cigarette-smoking hoodlum teenagers hung out, as opposed to all these watered-down "family fun centers" they have now.

Yeah Al,I miss those too.  :(

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/04 at 9:21 pm

Not too many people, if any. No one mainstream anyway. If there are any original artists out there, you have to really dig for them.

Absolutely Vile

There are a lot of interesting artists in the pop music genre, but you can only hear them on your finer college and independent radio stations.  I was just quoting from Belle & Sebastian the other day.  I can never remember the names of artists off the top of my head, but here are some links I recommend if you are looking for interesting artists in the Rock/Pop genre:
http://www.subpop.com/index.php
http://www.secretlycanadian.com/secretlycanadian/
http://www.bubblecore.com/
http://www.kindercore.com/page.asp?content_id=5934
http://www.asphodel.com/
http://www.smellslikerecords.com/slr/
http://www.soleilmoon.com/
http://www.jeepster.co.uk/index.htm

My own interests have gone over to avant-garde chamber music, electroacoustic music, modern jazz, ethnic, and experimental musics.  I still remain loyal to the pop groups I discovered in the '80s.

Absolutely Vile wrote:
Yeah, what happened to Vienna? 

Absolutely Vile

I like to vary my avatars a bit. I guess "The Collection" isn't quite as good as "Vienna," but I'm still sticking with Ultravox avatars for a while.

Written By: eddiescharmed1 on 07/29/04 at 12:43 am

I miss the clothes and my C.C De Ville hair ;D

Written By: prettypete on 07/29/04 at 4:29 am

Time. It seems like you had all the time in the world to go hang out with your friends, go swimming, call girls you liked(not callgirls), go partying, spend all day in your room listening to your records, playing tennis at any given day with my best friend, and my city.It used to be you could walk down any street anytime of the day and not have to worry about getting jumped or shot. Our children can appreciate some of our stories now!

Written By: ferrisb on 07/29/04 at 12:05 pm

I miss the music and movies of the 80's

Written By: Hairspray on 07/29/04 at 12:23 pm

Not only that, but I'd need a small fortune to play the very few games that would possibly warrant my personal attention. It's like $2.00 to get started and then pop-in more dollars to continue!! >:( ??? Long gone are the days of playing a game, as long as you could before losing/dying, on the same .25 cents. :\'(

I've also observed absolutely no pin ball machines available. It's just sad.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/29/04 at 12:57 pm

Indeed.  :(

I miss 80's clothes and going dancing when the music played in clubs was good.  *sigh*

Written By: AL-B on 07/29/04 at 6:55 pm

Not only that, but I'd need a small fortune to play the very few games that would possibly warrant my personal attention. It's like $2.00 to get started and then pop-in more dollars to continue!! >:( ??? Long gone are the days of playing a game, as long as you could before losing/dying, on the same .25 cents. :\'(

I know. I remember that a lot of the "old school" arcades usually had one or two pool tables, an air hockey table, a foosball table, and maybe a jukebox. And they were always really dark inside. And there'd always be a bunch of mean-looking high school kids with Metallica shirts hanging around and smoking cigarettes and the guy running the place wouldn't care.
      Now the only places left that have any resemblence to arcades are either Chuck E. Cheese's or "family fun centers." And they're all these happy fun squeaky clean places with clowns and balloons and crap, and they have absolutely none of the element of danger or rebellion that used to make arcades so cool. Why did they have to go and Flandersize everything??? :(

Written By: Howard on 07/29/04 at 8:04 pm

Same here Ferris!  :(

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 07/30/04 at 6:29 pm

You know what I miss the MOST about the 1980's??? The ready availability of cheap, 1960's and 70's American muscle cars (and land yachts) that were built like tanks and had BIG V8's. Back then you could find a beat-up yet decent-running old GTO, or Road Runner, or Chevelle for under $1000. (And if you were really low on cash, you could always get an AMC Javelin.) In the 90's these cars suddenly became valuable and people began restoring them and stashing them away, but in the 80's these cars were still a dime a dozen and teenagers had no qualms about beating the crap out of them.
    I went through 3 cars in high school. I had a '71 Oldsmobile Cutlass (in which I blew the tranny out) and two 1968 Impalas (I traded the first, a 4-door, for the second, a 2-door. I still wish I could've hung onto the 2-door and fixed it up. That's still one of my all-time favorite cars that I've owned.)

Written By: Howard on 07/31/04 at 9:59 am

Having many friends like I used to during the 80's.Now it's basically down to 1 or 2 old friends. :(

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 12:09 pm

I miss the cheesy t.v. shows like Kids Incorporated, Silver Spoons, and Make Your Move (does anyone remember that show with Jason Bateman and the guy who played Steve on Married with Children?)

Tanya

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 01/12/06 at 1:40 pm

Time. It seems like you had all the time in the world to go hang out with your friends, go swimming, call girls you liked(not callgirls), go partying, spend all day in your room listening to your records, playing tennis at any given day with my best friend, and my city.It used to be you could walk down any street anytime of the day and not have to worry about getting jumped or shot. Our children can appreciate some of our stories now!

8) Me too!

Written By: 80sforever on 01/12/06 at 4:27 pm

amen!!

Written By: BCRichrocker on 01/12/06 at 4:29 pm

Everything.

Written By: EveHarrington79 on 01/12/06 at 7:42 pm

OMG, where do I begin?? Good television shows that were actually SCRIPTED; movies that were original and sincere and didn't have to have some sort of irony or sarcasm thrown in; Yes, there were a few 80s movies that were remakes (Scarface, The Razor's Edge) but they were VERY few and far between and were actually good, unlike now where immortal classics like 'The Maltese Falcon' and 'The Ten Commandment's are being rehashed and bastardized just for the sake of being the 'latest summer blockbuster'...don't be surprised if we see a remake of 'Gone With the Wind' starring Carson Daly and Jessica Simpson in 2009; the complete and total disrespect that people have for one another and the lack of common sense that is now the norm. Back in the 80s, being a kid meant just that: being a kid. Now there is practically no difference between a 10 year old and a 20 year old as far as being 'jaded'. I know a girl who is only 13 and I swear, she knows more about sex than I did when I was in college! It's so sad!! MUSIC! In the 80s and the 90s, there was such a huge variety to choose from and originality. Now it's all RAP, RAP, RAP or whiny bands like Blink-182 and Maroon 5 who all sound EXACTLY alike. Remember how in the 80s and 90s fads and trends changed from year to year? I mean, compare 1981 to 1987. It's 2 totally different eras! And 1995 was worlds away from 1990, but compare and contrast 2005 to 2000. Couldn't find a difference?? Yeah, me neither. Why, oh WHY is someone like Paris Hilton famous??? Back in the 80s, someone like that would never have gone over...

I could go on for hours and hours...

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/06 at 8:16 pm

OMG, where do I begin?? Good television shows that were actually SCRIPTED; movies that were original and sincere and didn't have to have some sort of irony or sarcasm thrown in; Yes, there were a few 80s movies that were remakes (Scarface, The Razor's Edge) but they were VERY few and far between and were actually good, unlike now where immortal classics like 'The Maltese Falcon' and 'The Ten Commandment's are being rehashed and bastardized just for the sake of being the 'latest summer blockbuster'...don't be surprised if we see a remake of 'Gone With the Wind' starring Carson Daly and Jessica Simpson in 2009; the complete and total disrespect that people have for one another and the lack of common sense that is now the norm. Back in the 80s, being a kid meant just that: being a kid. Now there is practically no difference between a 10 year old and a 20 year old as far as being 'jaded'. I know a girl who is only 13 and I swear, she knows more about sex than I did when I was in college! It's so sad!! MUSIC! In the 80s and the 90s, there was such a huge variety to choose from and originality. Now it's all RAP, RAP, RAP or whiny bands like Blink-182 and Maroon 5 who all sound EXACTLY alike. Remember how in the 80s and 90s fads and trends changed from year to year? I mean, compare 1981 to 1987. It's 2 totally different eras! And 1995 was worlds away from 1990, but compare and contrast 2005 to 2000. Couldn't find a difference?? Yeah, me neither. Why, oh WHY is someone like Paris Hilton famous??? Back in the 80s, someone like that would never have gone over...

I could go on for hours and hours...

For the most part I agree. I think the differences in entertainment are the most prevalent in TV shows. For instance, Full House -- while obviously a "fun" show -- would always have some valuable lesson in the end, and even when they were p**sed at someone else, you knew the family really all loved each other. Also, those commercials circa 1983, with the "talking vitamins" warning little kids not to mistake them for candy.

Stuff like that would be considered too cheesy to pass today, most likely. And that's kinda too bad. The music of course, tended to be more fun and happy, not to mention "safe" enough for older folks (i.e. over 40) and young kids (like me at the time!) to get into.

I think the pop culture was more innocent. The world was basically the same though.

I kinda see what you're saying about kids too. It's interesting for me to comment at my age now because, for the record, I hated "being a kid" when I was one.

Looking back now, I believe this is because I wanted to be looked at as having individuality, depth and respect by older people. In other words, if I was 9 and pretty much only interested in the playground or interacting with other kids for instance, I felt that was kinda boring.

(When I got to high school, and certainly once I was 17 or 18, I started regretting this. Once I was about to become an adult, I realized being a kid wasn't so bad after all. Hell, mentally speaking I'm probably more of one now than in my actual childhood. ;) )

So I do understand why kids today would want to be like that, assuming they do it for the same reasons I did. However I do agree we've gone too far the other way if you see 8 year old kids acting like a bling bling rapper, or cussing people out. And someday those kids are gonna have their own.

I'd hate to see how 2020 or 2030 turns out if that's the case, LOL.

Written By: Electric Youth on 01/12/06 at 8:38 pm

IMO, tv in the 1990's was better and most cheesy sitcoms were horrible, which the only show I like is a current teen sitcom featuring a telanted young actress...though I'm a few years older than it's demo.  I also prefer cartoons from  the 1940's and 1950's instead since many in the '80's were commercials for toys, don't get me wrong I liked "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"...but now I can't sit through an entire episode.

Though I agree that the music was, still is, far better than  many of the junk that's out now.

Deborah Gibson was popular, don't know why many people aren't familiar with her later material since she's really a great/talented artist.

Written By: livinonthe80s on 01/12/06 at 11:09 pm

Just being a kid.

Yep....My youth and EVERYTHING else that the 80s was, were, and has been!!!  To me the 80s was the better decade compared to the 70's and 90's.

Written By: EveHarrington79 on 01/12/06 at 11:14 pm

For the most part I agree. I think the differences in entertainment are the most prevalent in TV shows. For instance, Full House -- while obviously a "fun" show -- would always have some valuable lesson in the end, and even when they were p**sed at someone else, you knew the family really all loved each other. Also, those commercials circa 1983, with the "talking vitamins" warning little kids not to mistake them for candy.

Stuff like that would be considered too cheesy to pass today, most likely. And that's kinda too bad. The music of course, tended to be more fun and happy, not to mention "safe" enough for older folks (i.e. over 40) and young kids (like me at the time!) to get into.

I think the pop culture was more innocent. The world was basically the same though.

I kinda see what you're saying about kids too. It's interesting for me to comment at my age now because, for the record, I hated "being a kid" when I was one.

Looking back now, I believe this is because I wanted to be looked at as having individuality, depth and respect by older people. In other words, if I was 9 and pretty much only interested in the playground or interacting with other kids for instance, I felt that was kinda boring.

(When I got to high school, and certainly once I was 17 or 18, I started regretting this. Once I was about to become an adult, I realized being a kid wasn't so bad after all. Hell, mentally speaking I'm probably more of one now than in my actual childhood. ;) )

So I do understand why kids today would want to be like that, assuming they do it for the same reasons I did. However I do agree we've gone too far the other way if you see 8 year old kids acting like a bling bling rapper, or cussing people out. And someday those kids are gonna have their own.

I'd hate to see how 2020 or 2030 turns out if that's the case, LOL.

Hey there,

I'm really not that bitter of a person, really  ;D It's just that so many things about the here and now are really starting to grate on my nerves, first and foremost being the craptastic REMAKES that Hollywood is shoving down our throats. I mean, nothing is sacred anymore. Another major thing that bugs me about this day and age is the constant need for irony and sarcasm in EVERYTHING. Nobody can be sincere anymore without being laughed at.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/06 at 11:34 pm

^ Nah, it's cool - I pretty much agree with your original post (sorry if it may have came off differently, LOL).

Yeah, things are definitely less original in movies I think. 2002-now will be remembered in the future as "remake/sequel mania". ;D

I see what you mean about sarcasm too - don't get me wrong, I think that can be funny sometimes (David Spade's entire career wouldn't have worked otherwise!), and there have been times in recent history where you couldn't get away with much humor, but it does sort of feel like we've gone too far the other way now.

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/12/06 at 11:38 pm

Rollerskating

so i saw this thread and thought 'rollerskating!!' and wondered if i had replied to it back when..sure enough  :D ;D

Written By: EveHarrington79 on 01/13/06 at 12:40 am

^ Nah, it's cool - I pretty much agree with your original post (sorry if it may have came off differently, LOL).

Yeah, things are definitely less original in movies I think. 2002-now will be remembered in the future as "remake/sequel mania". ;D

I see what you mean about sarcasm too - don't get me wrong, I think that can be funny sometimes (David Spade's entire career wouldn't have worked otherwise!), and there have been times in recent history where you couldn't get away with much humor, but it does sort of feel like we've gone too far the other way now.

No Prob!! I like irony and sarcasm, but I think we've got to the point where NOTHING can be considered 'hip' or 'legit' without having bitterness thrown in for good measure. Also, I think ppl nowadays do things that are considered 'edgy' just for the sake of being edgy. People just need to relax and be themselves! The few good movies from the 00's are actually among some of my all-time favorites (Spirited Away, A.I.: Artificial Intellegence,) and there have been some great comedies (Zoolander, Legally Blonde, 13 Going On 30) as well. I just wish we could see more originality in entertainment.

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/06 at 1:41 am

I miss Game Shows.  Back in the 80's, I was an addict.  Watched 'em all the time.  Often cut class just to watch them too

Written By: woops on 01/13/06 at 5:17 pm

Though was a '90's kid  and early 2000's teen, I miss music on MTV & VH1

And Looney Tunes & Disney cartoons on tv

Written By: RockRoyaltyQueen on 01/15/06 at 3:57 am

Most definitely the music.http://Tesla, Ratt, Cinderella, Poison, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, just to name a few.    I miss cruisin' and jammin', chasing the boys, being the only girl to know all the words to the songs (the guys just dug that!)(So did I!), being an original, wearing what I wanted to, where I wanted to, with who I wanted to!   ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...