inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Post Punk

Written By: bj26 on 07/28/04 at 2:47 pm

The Punk movement of the 70s died in about, 78 but punk rock was still there. Groups like Pere Ubu, Gang of Four, Sonic Youth, Husker Du, even REM, and one of my faves Mission of Burma still produced the punk sound in the 80s.  It was'nt all new wave early on, post punk was there. Anyone know any music you think was post punk?

Subject: Re: Post Punk

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/29/04 at 10:00 am

DEAD KENNEDYS!!!

They were a great post-punk band, though I'm not sure...but I think they started during the punk era.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: bj26 on 07/29/04 at 10:41 am

DEAD KENNEDYS!!!

They were a great post-punk band, though I'm not sure...but I think they started during the punk era.

Absolutely Vile

Dead Kennedys were/are wicked great! also X and Black Flag were early 80s punk.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/29/04 at 10:57 am

Dead Keendys were/are wicked great! also X and Black Flag were early 80s punk.

Yep, good groups as well! I don't know if anyone outside of Canada is familiar with this group, but D.O.A. were excellent too. Theirs is the only verson of "Takin' Care Of Business" I'll listen to!!! ;) ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: krakboi on 07/29/04 at 12:59 pm

Some bands that were part of the era continued to release great Music.  Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, and the Clash come to mind.

Minor Threat, Agent Orange, and Bad Brains are a couple others that come to mind that are fitting with the bands mentioned above.  All good stuff.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/29/04 at 3:13 pm

joy division and nick cave and the bad seeds are my two fave post-punk bands.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/29/04 at 3:24 pm

Suicidal Tendencies
Agent Orange
Bad Brains
Generation X
Exploited
DOA
DRI
TSOL
JFA
Government Issue
Black Flag
The Vandals
Minor Threat
....I could go on all day....I love it all ;)

Written By: Powerslave on 07/30/04 at 2:37 am

The Birthday Party.

I think post-punk can only really be applied to British bands that survived the fallout of the UK punk movement: Joy Division, The Cure, Blondie, Souixsie and the Banshees, etc. Bands like Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Discharge etc. were American bands that came later still and laid the basis for the US hardcore scene.

Check for new replies or respond here...