inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prime Time Soaps of the 80s

Written By: T on 08/10/04 at 12:26 pm

During the 80s when I was a little boy, I remember watching those prime time soaps with my Mom sometimes my Grandmother or Aunt. The prime time soaps I remember watching were: Dynasty, Knots Landing and Dallas. What are some of the memories of any of you'll have watching prime time soaps during the 80s and which prime time soaps did you'll watch?

Subject: Re: Prime Time Soaps of the 80s

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/04 at 12:25 pm

I used to watch Dallas. Saw the very first episode the very first time it aired and thought that was pretty good show. It wasn't until the "who shot J.R." thing came around that I realized how popular it was. I thought I was the only one who watched it. That was about the time I got bored with it and then I switched to Dynasty.

I kind of got bored with Dynasty too but went back to it when they started airing the Colbys-do I watched both of those. Then they all faded.

There was a very short lived one-I can't remember the name (and I did a lot of research on it but couldn't find anything) that had to do with kids. I thought it was good but I guess the critics didn't that is why it didn't last.

Cat

Written By: CosmicPrincess on 08/15/04 at 9:18 pm

I loved all those glitzy, glamourous primetime soaps! I loved how they usually had an old movie star in a supporting role, especially Anne Baxter as Victoria Cabot in 'Hotel' (the lady you see pictured to the left). I'd like to see all of those soaps released on dvd. I'd buy them all!

Written By: ralfy on 10/03/16 at 5:58 pm

"'Dynasty' Reboot in the Works at The CW"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dynasty-reboot-works-at-cw-934334

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/03/16 at 7:55 pm

That was like one of the oldest threads, man. I'm not even being sarcastic with that. I'm really enthused with how you bumped it.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/03/16 at 9:10 pm

Heather Locklear might be the princess of prime time soaps. She was in "Dynasty". She starred in "Melrose Place", and she appeared in Tyler Perry's new series. She's aged like fine wine and good rock.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/12/16 at 10:20 am

It was always the older folks who watched soaps, lol. I didn't care for them since I was just a kiddo.

In the 80s my mom watched All my Children.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/12/16 at 10:40 am

It was always the older folks who watched soaps, lol. I didn't care for them since I was just a kiddo.

All My Children was a daytime soap though. But obviously, Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, and Falcon Crest were the Big Four, and dominated primetime (especially prior to 1986), and IMO this genre was at its peak between the Who Shot JR? episode and the realization that Season 9 of Dallas was just a dream, which began the genre's (and for awhile, CBS's since they had three of the top four) decline for good. NBC tried to get in with "A Year In The Life" in 1987 (following a mini-series from the previous year) and did draw some good reviews from the critics, but by then, the urge to join a new primetime soap was fading in favor of sitcoms and Unsolved Mysteries.

Then you had shows like Moonlighting, China Beach, and Thirtysomething later in the decade that were sort of a cross between a soap and a traditional drama/adventure.

That said, there has never been a definitive era of which primetime soaps have dominated ever since, although there was a brief period in the mid-90s when you had Party of Five, BH 90210, Melrose Place, and Central Park West in the lineup, but got nowhere near the ratings draws of the former.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/16 at 2:34 pm

I used to watch soaps but then I lost interest in them afterwards.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/12/16 at 6:07 pm

I think if you were born around the mid 20th century (1940s-1960s), you would probably understand why it's worth watching soap dramas. I don't think they were popular after the 80s.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/12/16 at 8:59 pm

I think if you were born around the mid 20th century (1940s-1960s), you would probably understand why it's worth watching soap dramas. I don't think they were popular after the 80s.

The '80s was the golden decade for the genre, but Yelimsexa was correct. There were some prime time soaps in the '90s too. There are some today, like "Revenge" and "Scandal". "Empire" comes to mind too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 10:00 am

The '80s was the golden decade for the genre, but Yelimsexa was correct. There were some prime time soaps in the '90s too. There are some today, like "Revenge" and "Scandal". "Empire" comes to mind too.

But you like said, the 80s were the golden age for soap dramas. But after the 80s, there weren't a lot of soap dramas that people could recognize at the time.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/13/16 at 9:10 pm

But you like said, the 80s were the golden age for soap dramas. But after the 80s, there weren't a lot of soap dramas that people could recognize at the time.

The '80s were the golden age. Current ratings showed that current prime time soaps still had many viewers.  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 12:36 pm

The '80s were the golden age. Current ratings showed that current prime time soaps still had many viewers.  :)

Well, I suppose they have the same viewers as the ones from the 80s.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/15/16 at 8:33 pm

Well, I suppose they have the same viewers as the ones from the 80s.

I don't know about that. My guess is that "Empire" has a different audience than "Dynasty".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/15/16 at 8:36 pm

I don't know about that. My guess is that "Empire" has a different audience than "Dynasty".

Well, I know a few friends around my age who likes Empire. So I guess it's like that.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/16/16 at 9:32 pm

Well, I know a few friends around my age who likes Empire. So I guess it's like that.

You also have to look at technology. We have new formats and outlets now. There are more choices, and they affect ratings. Viewers watched "Dallas" at the same time in the same place back then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/17/16 at 2:38 pm

You also have to look at technology. We have new formats and outlets now. There are more choices, and they affect ratings. Viewers watched "Dallas" at the same time in the same place back then.

Unless they watched the episodes recorded on VHS. Even though somebody had to be there to watch it, and then give it to the other person.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/17/16 at 11:14 pm

Unless they watched the episodes recorded on VHS. Even though somebody had to be there to watch it, and then give it to the other person.

I guess that's possible. It wasn't too common back then, though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 7:32 am

I guess that's possible. It wasn't too common back then, though.

Or unless a person with a poor income could afford a VCR in the 80s and 90s, just to record Dallas episodes.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/18/16 at 8:53 pm

Or unless a person with a poor income could afford a VCR in the 80s and 90s, just to record Dallas episodes.

Was "Dallas" the first major prime time soap? Maybe "Peyton Place" was.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/21/16 at 7:01 am

Was "Dallas" the first major prime time soap? Maybe "Peyton Place" was.

The first primetime soap opera (according to Wikipedia) was Painted Dreams, which first aired in 1930 on WGN Radio. The first primetime soap opera was These Are My Children, which first aired in 1949 on NBC.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/21/16 at 9:43 pm

The first primetime soap opera (according to Wikipedia) was Painted Dreams, which first aired in 1930 on WGN Radio. The first primetime soap opera was These Are My Children, which first aired in 1949 on NBC.

Ah, how could I forget THOSE classics? Seriously, I learned something new today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/22/16 at 9:54 am

Ah, how could I forget THOSE classics? Seriously, I learned something new today.

Yeah, it didn't took long to have a primetime soap opera on TV.

Written By: Knew Wave on 10/22/16 at 10:14 pm

Yeah, it didn't took long to have a primetime soap opera on TV.

Old time radio played soap operas too. Some old TV shows started there.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/23/16 at 12:47 pm

Old time radio played soap operas too. Some old TV shows started there.

Well yeah. It aired longer before TV was a mainstream appliance.

Check for new replies or respond here...