inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bands Reunited Revisited

Written By: eightiesfan on 08/13/04 at 9:14 am

VH1 is supposed to be airing new installments of their "Bands Reunited" series and though they haven't announced any airtimes yet, I did see a short list of the new episodes they'll be airing: ABC, Haircut 100, New Kids on the Block, The English Beat, and The Motels.

Which ones would you look most forward to seeing?  I think the NKOTB one would be interesting - I'd also like to see The English Beat.  Flock of Seagulls and Kajagoogoo were my favorite episodes from the batch that aired in January.

Also, any other bands you'd like to see reunite? Among my picks would be XTC and The Vapors (would love to see them perform "Turning Japanese") one more time, and The Romantics (I know they toured with Third Eye Blind a few years ago).

Subject: Re: Bands Reunited Revisited

Written By: bj26 on 08/13/04 at 9:32 am

VH1 is supposed to be airing new installments of their "Bands Reunited" series and though they haven't announced any airtimes yet, I did see a short list of the new episodes they'll be airing: ABC, Haircut 100, New Kids on the Block, The English Beat, and The Motels.

Which ones would you look most forward to seeing?  I think the NKOTB one would be interesting - I'd also like to see The English Beat.  Flock of Seagulls and Kajagoogoo were my favorite episodes from the batch that aired in January.

Also, any other bands you'd like to see reunite? Among my picks would be XTC and The Vapors (would love to see them perform "Turning Japanese") one more time, and The Romantics (I know they toured with Third Eye Blind a few years ago).

I really like these bands but there's just something about them reuniting that makes me sad. I'm all for it especially if it makes folks happy, but I just remember them when we were all younger, and their energy then.  I just want to burn some DVDs of all my favorite groups when they did their original hits, in the order I want them. I think there are some late night MTV specials form the 80s, American Bandstand, etc., I need to work on it.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/13/04 at 9:41 am

I've never seen the show, but apparently it's going to start airing here on MuchMoreMusic. Anyway, of those people on the list, I'd like to see Haircut One Hundred reunite. I liked them. ABC would be good as well.

The bands I would love to see get back together, there's not a hope in hell of that happening because they can't bury the hatchet. >:( And, in the case of one of them, they're getting a bit on in years and it would just be weird to see them reunite performing some of the songs they used to do. Although any of their more "contemporary" songs might still go down well! ;)

As for the other band...I think they're still so wrapped up in legal stuff that a reunion just wouldn't be possible. Besides, their singer's just made a big comeback! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: krakboi on 08/13/04 at 1:25 pm

I am pretty sure the Beat toured here recently, but I don't think it was the original lineup.  Maybe they should do a General Public reunion while they are at it. :P

Written By: ragebass on 08/14/04 at 3:28 am

The Romantics are still together

Written By: KROQ_80s_Fan on 08/23/04 at 7:37 pm

General Public tours with only Dave Wakeling remaining.  He does several English Beat songs.

Berlin is touring with Terri Nunn and a few new guys.

The Fixx tours with Cy Curnin and a new band.

The Psychedelic Furs tour with much of the old band and sounds the best!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 08/23/04 at 9:54 pm

I definetly want to see NKOTB!!  :D

I loved the episode with Berlin.  I had never heard of them and now I really like a bunch of their songs!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/23/04 at 11:44 pm

I definetly want to see NKOTB!!   :D

I loved the episode with Berlin.  I had never heard of them and now I really like a bunch of their songs!

How old are you that you've never heard of Berlin and anticipate seeing NKOTB?

Tanya

Written By: JOJO on 09/04/04 at 3:24 pm

Hi All

Was at the filming of the ABC reunion for BANDS REUNITED series 2. A great night was had by all.  Had a personal invite so got to meet a few people. Tony Hadley and John Keeble (spandau ballet) and Carol Decker (tpau) showed their faces. Attended a party with KAJAGOOGOO in London 3 weeks ago. Martin Fry was there for a short while so was Paul Reynolds (A Flock of Seagulls). Carol Decker, Howard Jones. Bought back a few teenage memories... My camera was on overdrive....
Look forward to seeing the ABC episode when its shown here in the UK

Written By: Xonnie316 on 09/04/04 at 10:32 pm

This is by far one of the best VH1 shows after Behind The Music,

I just simply liked this show, didn't get to see all of the first season's episodes,

But what I enjoyed watching is the reunion of Berlin, Flock Of Seagulls & Frankie Goes To Hollywood,

Just Frankie Goes To Hollywood didn't play :(

But hearing that NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK are makin a reunion on the show,

Its just fudgein wicked !!

Step by step Ohhh Babyyyyy !!!

Can't wait to watch it.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/05/04 at 8:00 pm

How old are you that you've never heard of Berlin and anticipate seeing NKOTB?

Tanya

I am 28.  I grew up listening to NKOTB but I really hadent heard of Berlin.  I had never heard "no more words" or "Metro".  I had heard "take my breath away" but I never knew who sang it.  Is that weird?  I grew up in a small town and they didnt have many radio stations around.

Written By: Chipmunk on 09/05/04 at 8:26 pm

All eighties,
I am so excited for the ABC reunion! The Lexicon of Love still remains at the top of my all time needed albums, So many memories. I'll be watching with Heinekin and a joint near by just like it was 1980. I must admit, I got a bit teary eyed when I saw the new wave reunions last year. College and that music; it seems I was born at the right time. I need to get over it, I know. I'm listening to REM-Reckoning right now.

Many Happy Returns (many happy returns),
Chipmunk

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/05/04 at 9:57 pm

I am 28.  I grew up listening to NKOTB but I really hadent heard of Berlin.  I had never heard "no more words" or "Metro".  I had heard "take my breath away" but I never knew who sang it.  Is that weird?  I grew up in a small town and they didnt have many radio stations around.

I understand then. I don't know if I'm ready to see NKOTB. I look at them and laugh. I wonder if I will do that when the show will come on!

Tanya

Written By: Marcella on 09/07/04 at 2:33 pm

How devastating!  Three of the NKOTB people didnt want to do a reunion.  That would have been the best show ever!!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/07/04 at 4:40 pm

Ok well that sucked.  For NKOTB episode, Jordan and Jonathon said yes.  Joey, Donnie, and Danny said no.  Donnie and Danny wouldnt even appear on camera!  Joey said he wouldve done it if it was a long term thing, not just one night.

I think it's really lame that they couldnt do this event for one night, knowing that it would make millions of old NKOTB fans so happy  :(

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 09/07/04 at 10:14 pm

I saw it and I think they were stupid not to do it. Their careers are pretty much dead anyways they may be doing things but most people don't know about them. Some of them have solo CDs but I'm yet to hear them on the radio or see any videos.

Written By: stingr22 on 09/08/04 at 12:25 am

The one band I would LOVE to see back together is

The Police!

Written By: pcxo on 09/08/04 at 11:42 am

Did you see----Jordan Knight is in Vegas singing NKOTB songs. One Word LAME!  sorry I was not a fan, although I thought Jonathan really got better looking with age:)  I'm so excited about ABC:)  I hope after this they tour:)  I loved Terri Nunn in the movie T.G.I.F(thank god it's friday)  her and Valerie Lansburg(kids from fame) trying to sneak into a disco:)

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/08/04 at 12:44 pm

The one band I would LOVE to see back together is

The Police!

They sort of reunited in 1992 when they played at Sting and Trudie Styler's wedding.

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/08/04 at 12:47 pm

Did you see----Jordan Knight is in Vegas singing NKOTB songs. One Word LAME!  sorry I was not a fan, although I thought Jonathan really got better looking with age:)  I'm so excited about ABC:)  I hope after this they tour:)  I loved Terri Nunn in the movie T.G.I.F(thank god it's friday)  her and Valerie Lansburg(kids from fame) trying to sneak into a disco:)

Seems like a lot of former teen idols end up working in Vegas, huh?  David Cassidy and Rick Springfield are a couple of other examples of that.

Anyway, I liked NKOTB when I was 19 and Jordan was my favorite in those days - I had his poster on my bedroom wall.  Nowadays, I think Joey is the cutest one.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/08/04 at 3:51 pm

They can kiss my butt! I can't believe NKOTB didn't do it! What else are they doing? NOTHING! You would've thought they needed some promotion!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 7:19 pm

Kajagoogoo?  ???

Howard

Written By: kimmers on 09/09/04 at 12:55 pm

Hi All

Was at the filming of the ABC reunion for BANDS REUNITED series 2. A great night was had by all.  Had a personal invite so got to meet a few people. Tony Hadley and John Keeble (spandau ballet) and Carol Decker (tpau) showed their faces. Attended a party with KAJAGOOGOO in London 3 weeks ago. Martin Fry was there for a short while so was Paul Reynolds (A Flock of Seagulls). Carol Decker, Howard Jones. Bought back a few teenage memories... My camera was on overdrive....
Look forward to seeing the ABC episode when its shown here in the UK

I just saw this episode last night.  Too bad 2 of the members didn't show but the other 2 did a great job I thought.  I hadn't realized how much I really liked their music.

Written By: bj26 on 09/09/04 at 2:08 pm

I really like these bands but there's just something about them reuniting that makes me sad. I'm all for it especially if it makes folks happy, but I just remember them when we were all younger, and their energy then. 

I wish to rebuke myself for being kind of down on the band reunited scene.  I saw ABC last night and they were friggin great!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/09/04 at 7:20 pm

Tonight they are doing The Beat (English Beat to many)! It's a good episode!

Tanya

Written By: Uncreative Username on 09/09/04 at 11:17 pm

They sort of reunited in 1992 when they played at Sting and Trudie Styler's wedding.

The Police reunited to play their Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.  Last year, I think?  It was good.

Written By: bj26 on 09/10/04 at 7:13 am

Tonight they are doing The Beat (English Beat to many)! It's a good episode!

Tanya

The English Beat is one of my favorite groups and I missed the show :\'( Please tell me they didn't do "That's Entertainment," maybe my favorite song of the decades! I must catch the Beat next time.

Written By: Niko101 on 09/10/04 at 7:48 am

"Please tell me they didn't do "That's Entertainment," maybe my favorite song of the decades! I must catch the Beat next time."

"That's Entertainment" was by The Jam, wasn't it?

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/10/04 at 8:07 am

That's what I thought! Though Morrissey has also covered it...;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: bj26 on 09/10/04 at 9:14 am

"Please tell me they didn't do "That's Entertainment," maybe my favorite song of the decades! I must catch the Beat next time."

Oooops, you're right, heh heh a little embarrassed here (at least I didn't miss my favorite song :)), anyway, when is the Jam gonna be on, or have they reunited?

Written By: bj26 on 09/10/04 at 12:09 pm

when is the Jam gonna be on, or have they reunited?

To answer my own question, the Jam probably won't reunite, they were a 70s punk group, pure and tough. If the group has mellowed over the years, which I doubt, they could reunite but who knows. Sorry to go off thread, but here is some info from Allmusic: 

The legacy of the Jam is apparent in nearly every British guitar pop band of the '80s and '90s, from the Smiths to Blur and Oasis. More than any other group, the Jam kept the tradition of three-minute, hook-driven British guitar pop alive through the '70s and '80s, providing a blueprint for generations of bands to come.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/10/04 at 12:10 pm

Only four members of the Beat reunited (Peter Cox and someone else didn't show). The semi-performed with a re-creation of the Beat at the end of the show.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 09/10/04 at 6:48 pm

What about bands with the one hit wonders such as Right Said Fred. Are they re-uniting?

Howard

Subject: Haircut One Hundred

Written By: Hunter on 10/31/04 at 8:51 pm

Please check out the bands site:

http://www.haircut100.net

Written By: topgun68 on 12/27/04 at 6:41 pm

To answer my own question, the Jam probably won't reunite, they were a 70s punk group, pure and tough. If the group has mellowed over the years, which I doubt, they could reunite but who knows. Sorry to go off thread, but here is some info from Allmusic: 

The legacy of the Jam is apparent in nearly every British guitar pop band of the '80s and '90s, from the Smiths to Blur and Oasis. More than any other group, the Jam kept the tradition of three-minute, hook-driven British guitar pop alive through the '70s and '80s, providing a blueprint for generations of bands to come.
There has been many claims that the Jam will reform for one off gigs. Even far back as live aid to june this year in the british paper "the sun" . Weller (god) is doing his own works with the new album out (studio 51) and after foxton taking over bass for stiff little fingers. he is touring with a new band . Rick is no longer in  the bizz .
As the authour said , The Jam did inspire most of the guitar bands for the mid 80's till upto now.  if you like them try checking out  Secret Affair, Purple hearts and the  obscure  The prisoners.  brit mods rule

Check for new replies or respond here...