inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stars from yesterday that are still popular today

Written By: Rob on 08/16/04 at 1:01 am

My wife and I were trying to figure out actors that were up and coming or popular during the 80's who are now legitimate stars today.

Here is what I came up with:

Diane Lane = "Cherry" from the Outsiders
John Cusack = B.O.D (the best 80's movie in my oinion)
Brad Pitt = Growing Pains
Jamie Foxx = In Living Color
Tom Cruise = Risky Business
Anthony Edwards = Fast Times
George Clooney = cannot remember the sitcom
Kevin Bacon = Footloose
Sean Penn = At Close Range

Subject: Re: Stars from yesterday that are still popular today

Written By: rubixgirl on 08/16/04 at 8:28 am

My wife and I were trying to figure out actors that were up and coming or popular during the 80's who are now legitimate stars today.

It was Facts of Life and Roseanne

Leonardo DiCaprio - Growing Pains
Nicholas Cage: Fast Times, Valley Girl

Written By: ferrisb on 08/16/04 at 1:40 pm

Diane Lane = "Cherry" from the Outsiders
John Cusack = B.O.D (the best 80's movie in my oinion)
Brad Pitt = Growing Pains
Jamie Foxx = In Living Color
Tom Cruise = Risky Business
Anthony Edwards = Fast Times
Kevin Bacon = Footloose
Sean Penn = At Close Range

What about Meg Ryan does she qualify?

Written By: rubixgirl on 08/16/04 at 2:54 pm

What about Meg Ryan does she qualify?
I would think she would. As well as Demi Moore.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/16/04 at 7:20 pm

It was Facts of Life and Roseanne

Don't forget E/R.  He played Ace.  The show starred Elliot Gould.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/04 at 9:13 pm

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/87/36/12m.jpg

lately,I've been seeing Scott Baio around on TV and he's gonna be 44 next month. :o

Howard

Written By: Wendy on 08/18/04 at 8:01 pm

How about Brooke Shields?  I loved her then and still adore her.  She guest stars still on that 70's show and I'm with her, but the latter I believe was canceled.  I still remember playing with my friend's Brooke Shields doll, and have even looked it up on ebay, lol.  Courtney Thorne Smith (she was in a movie about summer school in the 80's and then in the 90's was in Melrose Place of course(made her famous) and then is staring today on a show with Belushi where she's got 2 daughters,  I don't watch it.  Salma Hayek was also in that summer school movie and so was Halle Berry I believe.  And so was Keirstie Allie but she's not going so strong these days Pier 1 gave her the boot for the queer eye for the straight guy rep. 

By the way HI my eighties folk, I haven't introduced myself formally, I'll have to find that thread and do that :)

Written By: wendy on 08/18/04 at 8:08 pm

George Clooney was on the Facts of Life when Blair, Joe, Natalie and Tootie had that really cool store that sold gadgety novlety items.  I still remember the neon light sign in the store and the bolwn up palm tree.  Fun thread.

Written By: wendy on 08/18/04 at 8:11 pm

ooops! I saw that rubixgirl already set the record straight about the George Clooney mystery.  Yeah I remember also seeing him on roseanne, he dated the sister maybe?

Written By: Howard on 08/18/04 at 9:33 pm

How about Brooke Shields?  I loved her then and still adore her.  She guest stars still on that 70's show and I'm with her, but the latter I believe was canceled.  I still remember playing with my friend's Brooke Shields doll, and have even looked it up on ebay, lol.  Courtney Thorne Smith (she was in a movie about summer school in the 80's and then in the 90's was in Melrose Place of course(made her famous) and then is staring today on a show with Belushi where she's got 2 daughters,  I don't watch it.  Salma Hayek was also in that summer school movie and so was Halle Berry I believe.  And so was Keirstie Allie but she's not going so strong these days Pier 1 gave her the boot for the queer eye for the straight guy rep. 

By the way HI my eighties folk, I haven't introduced myself formally, I'll have to find that thread and do that :)

Brooke Sheilds has to be in her 40's and she still looks as good as she used to be. :o

Howard

Written By: onaree on 08/19/04 at 10:18 am

Don't forget E/R.  He played Ace.  The show starred Elliot Gould.

I was going to mention this show.  I used to love it.  I thought he was good looking even then.

Written By: rubixgirl on 08/19/04 at 10:41 am

Salma Hayek was also in that summer school movie and so was Halle Berry I believe.  And so was Keirstie Allie but she's not going so strong these days Pier 1 gave her the boot for the queer eye for the straight guy rep. 

The girl looks alot like Selma Hayek but its actually Fabiana Udenio (she also played Alotta Fagina in Austin Powers). Halle Berry wasn't in summer school but Kelly Jo Minter.  :)

Written By: ferrisb on 08/19/04 at 11:34 am

The girl looks alot like Selma Hayek but its actually Fabiana Udenio (she also played Alotta Fagina in Austin Powers). Halle Berry wasn't in summer school but Kelly Jo Minter.  :)

Which Austin Powers movie did Fabiana Udenio starred in?

Written By: rubixgirl on 08/19/04 at 12:21 pm

Which Austin Powers movie did Fabiana Udenio starred in?
The first one...International Man of Mystery

Written By: Bobby on 08/19/04 at 3:35 pm

Hello Wendy!  :D

Get registered and then introduce yourself on the 'Welcome new users to the colony' section (if you haven't already) and we will give you a grand welcome.  :)

Written By: Wendy on 08/19/04 at 6:57 pm

Hey again, here's the thing Bobby I registered yesterday as 'hysteric et vous', and I can't seem to activate my code thing :(  I checked my email adress for accuracy and they said that they reactivated it and sent me it again in my email but nothing comes to me.  I have no idea, so it looks as though I have to stay as a guest I guess :(  I wanna really be here though as a member.  Anyone know anything about faulty registrations like I'm having?  I really really LOVE the 80's!  Although I'm pretty content with my current lifestyle and the 80's weren't any better or worse for me I have a major pull towards this decade.  The time of my innocence, lack of responsibility, my fashion awakening, lol.  On that note,  I even added some 'jappy' 80's brands to the informational home page regarding 80's clothes and none of them came up.  The screen name I chose 'hysteric et vous' was a brand I was nuts about. Totally can't find it on ebay. Any other 80's japs out there? hee hee.  Looks like this site has a lot of guys on it, not that there's anything wrong with that ;) ahem I am married and told my dh about the predominance of men at the site and if he minded me talking to them, and 'he' said, what straight guy likes the 80's? hmph! Again not that there's anything wrong with that, lol!.  My son's teacher is gay and we love him :)  And well I'm not going to go on in that vein as I feel myself on the verge of babbling if I haven't already been that is :p  By the way dh is foreign so unfortunately we don't share the same 'history' in terms of our memories, he came here as a teenager in 1989, poor guy missed our 80's! 

Written By: Howard on 08/19/04 at 9:20 pm

The first one...International Man of Mystery

Was her name Allota Vagina?  ;D

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/04 at 11:24 pm

What about David Hasselhoff and his perennial popularity in Europe?

KNIGHT RIDER MOVIE DUE OUT IN 2005
It will indeed star D.H., and is directed by Chinese actor Sammo Hung (Sammo Hung Kam-Bo), who's been in dozens of karate flicks.  He was in "Around the World in 80 Days" with Jackie Chan.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/04 at 7:53 pm

Morgan Freeman is still way popular these days and he's making movie after movie. :o

Howard

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/04 at 8:59 pm

Hannibal Lechter-aka Anthony Hopkins.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 08/20/04 at 9:15 pm

Sarah Jessica Parkerin Footloose and Girls just wanna have fun :D

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/20/04 at 9:57 pm

How about Eddie Murphy?  He seems to be just as popular today as he was 20 years ago.

Written By: Rob on 08/20/04 at 10:52 pm

I forgot Drew Barrymore in E.T.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/04 at 10:00 am

Pam Grier still as hot as she was 30 years but now stars in The L Word on Showtime.

Howard

Written By: Heavymetal on 08/25/04 at 1:03 pm

How about Anthony Micheal Hall - Now on The Dead Zone.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/04 at 7:11 pm

James Garner now on 8 Simple Rules.

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/04 at 9:53 pm

Sarah Jessica Parkerin Footloose and Girls just wanna have fun :D

How could you forget the short-lived sit-com "Square Pegs"?  You know, "Square Pegs, squaaaare square pegs..."
http://imdb.com/title/tt0083482/

http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/photosearch/Previews/PLX061965.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/26/04 at 7:55 pm

How could you forget the short-lived sit-com "Square Pegs"?  You know, "Square Pegs, squaaaare square pegs..."
http://imdb.com/title/tt0083482/

http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/photosearch/Previews/PLX061965.jpg

Sarah Jessica Parker turned out to be one hell of a woman. :D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/26/04 at 7:57 pm

http://www.absolutely.net/applegate/index.jpg

Christina Applegate

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...