inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Duran Duran demo 1978

Written By: tinofcornedbeef on 08/18/04 at 5:29 am

thought this might be of interest to some duran fans out there, an early demo of theirs from 1978 has come to light featuring girls on film before simon joined the band and Andy Wickett was the singer. It's an interesting piece of their history and shows the band in it's infancy check out www.andywickett.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk, what do Duranies think of this?

Subject: Re: Duran Duran demo 1978

Written By: ferrisb on 08/20/04 at 1:41 pm

thought this might be of interest to some duran fans out there, an early demo of theirs from 1978 has come to light featuring girls on film before simon joined the band and Andy Wickett was the singer. It's an interesting piece of their history and shows the band in it's infancy check out www.andywickett.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk, what do Duranies think of this?

I' don't qualify for a durani cos I'm a guy but I find the info on this site quite interesting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/04 at 5:31 pm

That must have been when Stephen Duffy was still with the band?
???

Written By: roger on 08/22/04 at 5:23 pm

nope it was after stephen but before simon

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/04 at 6:32 pm

Oh, I guess Duffy wasn't in the band very long.  Apparently, he left because he thought Duran Duran had no future.
;D :-[

Written By: Hairspray on 08/23/04 at 12:24 pm

Oh, I guess Duffy wasn't in the band very long.  Apparently, he left because he thought Duran Duran had no future.
;D :-[

LOL! I guess he thought wrong. ;D

I have no opinion in reference to the Andy Wickett issue, except to say Simon turned "Girls On Film" into what he couldn't or never could have -- a phenomenal success.

Written By: che on 08/27/04 at 5:46 am

i thought you said you had no opinion, duran duran deserve all their success there is no denying that, though girls on film was made successful by the band, recognition by them that the song was originally devised by Andy Wickett wouldn't go amiss, the truth is the song wouldn't have appeared without him

Written By: brummies on 08/27/04 at 5:57 am

i agree, a lot of people in birmingham know the original melody of girls on film came from andy wickett, there is no doubting that duran duran deserve all their success but it seems to me that the guy just wants to be acknowledged as having written the song originally. for the people that know the story, the way he was treated seems hardly fair.

Written By: bombaymixer on 09/05/04 at 2:19 pm

sounds like the guy is after some dough to me!

Written By: Hairspray on 09/06/04 at 11:01 am

i thought you said you had no opinion...

You must not have read the "except to say..." part of my response.

P.S. The last three responses, one to which I replied, are all from the same address even though the guest names are different. Hmm. It is also the same address as the original guest poster.

Pick a name buddy. ;) We don't care if you have conflicting opinions on the same issue. We respect any and all opinions as long as they are expressed within the forum guidelines.

Check for new replies or respond here...