inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You know you're an 80s child if.....

Written By: 1980schild.com on 08/25/04 at 2:37 pm

You Know you're an 80s child if.......

You knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout."
You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off."
You can name at least half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack."
You know that another name for a keyboard is a "Synthesizer."
You'll always hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future."
You wanted to be a Goonie ("Goonies never say die.")
You knew "The Artist" when he was humbly called "Prince."
You ever wore fluorescent socks or electric blue Jumbo cords....
You could breakdance, or wished you could.
You know who Max Headroom is.
You had a crush on one of the Coreys (Haim or Feldman).
You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.
You have heard of "Garbage Pail Kids" (and perhaps still have a collection of them).
Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away.
You remember the days that hooking your computer into your TV wasn't an expensive option that required gadgets - it was the ONLY WAY to use your computer!
You've recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following phrases:
"When I was younger"
"When I was your age"
"You know, back when..."
"What the HECK is this noise on the radio?"
"Just can't (fill in the blank) like I used to"
You used to hold in your head the thought that all those gold chains on Mr. T actually looked kinda cool and the thought that Mr. T made millions seemed rational to you at the time.
You remember when film critics raved that no movie could ever possibly get better special effects than those in the movie TRON.
You think thirty is not that old afterall
You remember any or all of the following: Musical Youth, New Kids on the Block, Haircult 100, Durran Durran, Weird Science, Breakfast club...
What do you think? Make this list complete - Submit your 80s memory at http://www.maggiethatcher.com/if.html

Subject: Re: You know you're an 80s child if.....

Written By: ferrisb on 08/26/04 at 1:35 pm

What's your definition of an 80's child? Born in the 80's? Or born before?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/26/04 at 2:46 pm

Born before - because if you were born in, it's obvious that you wouldn't know most of these things firsthand. You'd probably know them through re-runs or other indirect experiences.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 08/26/04 at 7:42 pm

You think thirty is not that old afterall

Oh Really,wanna bet 30 is old?  ;D

Howard

Written By: Kryllith on 08/27/04 at 8:19 am

You remember any or all of the following: Musical Youth, New Kids on the Block, Haircult 100, Durran Durran, Weird Science, Breakfast club...
What do you think? Make this list complete - Submit your 80s memory at http://www.maggiethatcher.com/if.html

Durran Durran? Hmmm... original writer must not be a child of the 80s (or the 90s or 2000s for that matter)

Kryllith

Written By: ferrisb on 08/27/04 at 11:57 am

Born before - because if you were born in, it's obvious that you wouldn't know most of these things firsthand. You'd probably know them through re-runs or other indirect experiences.

Tanya

Yep that makes sense. ;D

Written By: Koop on 08/27/04 at 2:34 pm

I went from teen to adult in the 80s, so I wasn't exactly an 80s child, but I identify with a lot of things on that list.  ;)

I can honestly say that I never had a crush on any of the Coreys. (my favorite from The Lost Boys was Jason Patric...he was closer to my age.)  :D

As for thinking 30 isn't that old...heck I'm thinking that forty is quite young these days.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/27/04 at 7:16 pm

You have heard of "Garbage Pail Kids" (and perhaps still have a collection of them).

You know,I still have my collection of GBK cards from 1986 & 1987.It might be worth money someday. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/27/04 at 7:18 pm

I went from teen to adult in the 80s, so I wasn't exactly an 80s child, but I identify with a lot of things on that list.  ;)

I can honestly say that I never had a crush on any of the Coreys. (my favorite from The Lost Boys was Jason Patric...he was closer to my age.)  :D

As for thinking 30 isn't that old...heck I'm thinking that forty is quite young these days.  :)

Well,the reason I said 30 is old cause when I was 15,I never thought of getting to BE 30,it was just a dream now look I got my wish. ;D

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/27/04 at 9:04 pm

I never thought I'd be 30 either.  :o   Even when I was 20 or 21, the age of 30 still seemed so far away.  Well actually technically I'm not yet 30, I turned 29 recently so I'm still in my 20s, but I go ahead and consider myself a 30 year old.  When people only 1 year older then you get to a certain age, it's basically like you are there too.

Written By: kjersti on 08/27/04 at 9:20 pm

You know you're an 80's child if you remember ripping the necks and cuffs off of sweatshirts
You know you're an 80's child if you had a cassette player with/without a radio
You know you're an 80's child if you, at some point, were completely covered in lace and/or rubber
You know you're an 80's child if you if you solved the Rubiks cube by breaking it apart
You know you're an 80's child if you thought Atari was cutting-edge (well, it was!!)
Reebok high-tops
Esprit
Gunne Sack prom dresses
Really pointy shoes in assorted colors
You remember who had the first cd player in your group of friends

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/27/04 at 11:20 pm

You know you're an 80's child if you remember ripping the necks and cuffs off of sweatshirts
You know you're an 80's child if you, at some point, were completely covered in lace and/or rubber
You know you're an 80's child if you if you solved the Rubiks cube by breaking it apart
You know you're an 80's child if you thought Atari was cutting-edge (well, it was!!)
Reebok high-tops
Esprit
Gunne Sack prom dresses
Really pointy shoes in assorted colors
You remember who had the first cd player in your group of friends

My girlfriend, Kelly (who's still my girlfriend today) was the first to have both cable and a cd player!

I had a red Reebok high-tops.

I had an Esprit sweetshirt

I had a cassette with the radio and when one part broke down, the other part took over!

You forgot that you know you're an 80s child when neon anything became your best friend!

Tanya

Written By: Koop on 08/27/04 at 11:59 pm

Well,the reason I said 30 is old cause when I was 15,I never thought of getting to BE 30,it was just a dream now look I got my wish. ;D

Howard

I'm sorry, Howard...I didn't mean to make you think that I was responding or critisizing what you said....I was responding to the comment in the original post.  :)

But I definitely felt the same at 15.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/28/04 at 9:41 am

I never thought I'd be 30 either.  :o   Even when I was 20 or 21, the age of 30 still seemed so far away.  Well actually technically I'm not yet 30, I turned 29 recently so I'm still in my 20s, but I go ahead and consider myself a 30 year old.  When people only 1 year older then you get to a certain age, it's basically like you are there too.

There are friends a few years older than I am but I don't worry about being really old. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/28/04 at 9:44 am

Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away

Yeah,it was 5 years ago.  ;D

Howard

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 08/30/04 at 4:59 pm

You Know you're an 80s child if your watching a video/concert of one of your favorite 80s artist/band and you kid asks "Are those guys still alive"?
Because to them(your kids)in their minds,the 80s might as well be a hundred years ago...

Sorry guys,it's the best I could come up with.. :)

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 7:12 pm

You know, back when..."

You know,these days we are still saying that phrase. ;D

Howard

Written By: simon on 09/22/04 at 1:40 pm

You remember Charlene ' I've never been to me'

Written By: Satish on 09/22/04 at 6:44 pm

It just seems wrong to you to see James Bond being played by anyone other than Timothy Dalton.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/22/04 at 9:26 pm

You're one of the mature grown ups that run the world now, and being a kid is a faded memory.  You're the same age, or say in a 5 year age range of many of the teachers you had in the 80s.

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/23/04 at 8:01 am

You remember when diet soda was still sweetened with saccharin and everyone told you you'd get cancer if you drank it.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/23/04 at 9:48 pm

You remember the Wendy's commercials with the grumpy old lady asking, "Where's the Beef?"  Guess what my name is?  How much did I hate the guys in junior high taunting me with that one and "hot and juicy" too?!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/24/04 at 3:52 pm

This sums it up for me: You are an 89s child if...

You're PO'd that you couldn't really participate in the 60's, pissed that you were a part of the 70's, think you wasted too much time doing stupid, meaningless things in the 80's, and still have no clue what the 90's are all about.

Tanya

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/25/04 at 1:03 pm

I remember how not that long ago, it was so weird realizing that people born in the 80s were now becoming adults and entering college.  Cause you knew that even people born in the early 80s wouldn't remember the 80s with same detail as the rest of us born in the 70s.  They probably wouldn't even remember the early 1990s with substance.  This was around say 1999-2001/'02 or something like that. 

Even people born in 1980, I thought of them as being like little kids, and it was so strange seeing them as adults that were 17-19 years old. 

Now?  Shoot, now we see big adult looking teenage kids born in 1988 and 1989 walking around going to high school and preparing for college and it's no big deal, we're all so used to them now.  I'm even used to their ignorance about the 80s to mid 90s time, and used to fielding questions.  Kids born in 1992, kids that technically I am old enough to be a parent of, don't phase me either.  I guess going through whole "losing youth" deal when you first saw people born in 1984 driving cars just eased us up to the whole process of being on the older end of things.    

Written By: HKJfordham on 10/17/04 at 11:45 am

1. Russia is still scary.
2. You remember life without the Internet and cell phones.
3. You don't say "what's a tape?"
4. You remember when it was normal for guys to wear shirts that showed their belly buttons but the only girl who did it was Madonna!

Written By: Howard on 10/17/04 at 8:01 pm

2. You remember life without the Internet and cell phones

Yes.I do.I always had to make my calls on a regular payphone and sometimes the darn piece of crap wouldn't work.Thank God for cellular phones. ;D

Howard

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/02/04 at 7:27 am

I was definitely an eighties kid, it started when I was 2, scarily I remember most of it as far back as when I was 3..I still have 7" records and 12" singles and LP's, millions of tapes.  Thirty was old then, but now it's only 3½ years away!, I remember life without computers, life without mobile phones, life without CD's..

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/02/04 at 7:37 am

Sythesizers..they are still very cool..we had a tape recorder, a flat one with big chunky buttons and used to record our fav TV theme tunes, like A Team, Knightrider..etc. I loved BTTF and saw the first one in the cinema when I was 7. I have the trilogy now...still love it..the Goonies I am getting on DVD for Christmas...

Written By: Howard on 11/02/04 at 7:50 pm

you still despise brussel sprouts,lima beans & spinach. :P

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/02/04 at 7:51 pm

Sythesizers..they are still very cool..we had a tape recorder, a flat one with big chunky buttons and used to record our fav TV theme tunes, like A Team, Knightrider..etc. I loved BTTF and saw the first one in the cinema when I was 7. I have the trilogy now...still love it..the Goonies I am getting on DVD for Christmas...

I have a 1987 Yamaha PSS-130 and I've had it for 17 years already and I want to definitely give my organ away. :)

Howard

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/03/04 at 6:06 am

We used to have a Yamaha PSS 230 (it's either 230, 280 or 220 I can't remember)..it 's the one with the 'Just The Way You Are' demo tune...we had it since I was 8, which was 1986...it was supposed to be MY keyboard but my parents sold a small cheaper one along with it without me knowing, about 9 years ago..I was sooo GUTTED!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/03/04 at 7:43 pm

We used to have a Yamaha PSS 230 (it's either 230, 280 or 220 I can't remember)..it 's the one with the 'Just The Way You Are' demo tune...we had it since I was 8, which was 1986...it was supposed to be MY keyboard but my parents sold a small cheaper one along with it without me knowing, about 9 years ago..I was sooo GUTTED!!!

The Demo on my Yamaha is none other than Yankee Doodle. :)

Howard

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/04/04 at 11:30 am

I have a tiny PSS30, which plays Yankee Doodle...

Written By: Joel Welden-Smith on 11/05/04 at 3:05 am

You may not consider me a child of the eighties because I was born in 83, but you're wrong. The eighties were very much a part of my early childhood (the mid and late nineties). Just because a lot of it's fuzzy to me, doesn't mean I don't have some decent memories of growing up in the decade. Most of my memories are of the early and mid-nineties. Why I'm a child of the eighties:

I had a Glow Worm.

I played Girl Talk Date Line with my sister(I was too young to be embarassed).

I watched "The Raccoons". One of the things I remember loving about the show was the intro. It really stuck in my mind. The theme song and animation of the opening was very eighties, instantly recognizable to any child of the eighties.

I watched "Today's Special". Hearing the theme song always brings it back for me. That department store is etched in my memory.

My grandparents had the original Intellivision, which I played whenever I went to their house.

My mom has an old casette of me singing "Somewhere Out There" when I was younger.

I played with my Lite Brite, and I remember watching the commercials for it.

The first song I learned to sing was "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go".

I had a Talking Mickey Mouse and a Teddy Ruxpin doll.

Of course our parents all dressed us up eighties.

I remember watching my friend's older brother play the original Sim City for the computer.

I played with Nintendo's Rob , and I owned the Power Pad and Power Glove.

I remember hearing "Walk Like An Egyptian" and "I Think We're Alone Now" alot. Probably because it was the late eighties, both songs were played on the radio alot, and my sister was probably playing it alot.

I remember listening to music on this really cheesy pastel pink boombox that we had.

I made my first home movies on a Fisher-Price PXL 2000. It made black and white movies on audio tapes, which looked alot like cassettes. The picture was crap and it was hard to find anything that would play the tape, but being a kid I thought it was really cool to finally have my own video camera.

Yeah I remember what it was like long before we had the internet. I remember playing with computers before Windows. The games were on big black floppy things. Later on when Cd-roms first came out they had to be loaded into the computer in a case, we didn't have any games on CD-rom, mostly just a few educational titles.

Well that's what I can think of at the moment, but a lot more will come to me when I think about it more. I grew up on the cartoons, watched many of the movies (that were PG and under), and watched some of the sitcoms with my parents.

Also if you haven't had the chance check out my awesome eighties photo gallery: http://community.webshots.com/user/jwsisliving1

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/05/04 at 5:59 pm

You may not consider me a child of the eighties because I was born in 83, but you're wrong. The eighties were very much a part of my early childhood (the mid and late nineties). Just because a lot of it's fuzzy to me, doesn't mean I don't have some decent memories of growing up in the decade. Most of my memories are of the early and mid-nineties. Why I'm a child of the eighties:

I had a Glow Worm.

I played Girl Talk Date Line with my sister(I was too young to be embarassed).

I watched "The Raccoons". One of the things I remember loving about the show was the intro. It really stuck in my mind. The theme song and animation of the opening was very eighties, instantly recognizable to any child of the eighties.

I watched "Today's Special". Hearing the theme song always brings it back for me. That department store is etched in my memory.

My grandparents had the original Intellivision, which I played whenever I went to their house.

My mom has an old casette of me singing "Somewhere Out There" when I was younger.

I played with my Lite Brite, and I remember watching the commercials for it.

The first song I learned to sing was "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go".

I had a Talking Mickey Mouse and a Teddy Ruxpin doll.

Of course our parents all dressed us up eighties.

I remember watching my friend's older brother play the original Sim City for the computer.

I played with Nintendo's Rob , and I owned the Power Pad and Power Glove.

I remember hearing "Walk Like An Egyptian" and "I Think We're Alone Now" alot. Probably because it was the late eighties, both songs were played on the radio alot, and my sister was probably playing it alot.

I remember listening to music on this really cheesy pastel pink boombox that we had.

I made my first home movies on a Fisher-Price PXL 2000. It made black and white movies on audio tapes, which looked alot like cassettes. The picture was crap and it was hard to find anything that would play the tape, but being a kid I thought it was really cool to finally have my own video camera.

Yeah I remember what it was like long before we had the internet. I remember playing with computers before Windows. The games were on big black floppy things. Later on when Cd-roms first came out they had to be loaded into the computer in a case, we didn't have any games on CD-rom, mostly just a few educational titles.

Well that's what I can think of at the moment, but a lot more will come to me when I think about it more. I grew up on the cartoons, watched many of the movies (that were PG and under), and watched some of the sitcoms with my parents.

Also if you haven't had the chance check out my awesome eighties photo gallery: http://community.webshots.com/user/jwsisliving1

Sorry, you were born in the eighties, so you are a chlild of the nineties. I was born in the seventies, but I'm not a child of that decade. It's okay, I can understand why you wouldn't want to claim the nineties, though!  ;D If I ask you about May 1983 and ask you what was the entertainment story of that month, as a child of the eighties, you could answer it b/c chances are you watched it first-hand, not as a re-run!

Tanya

Written By: roboqueen on 11/06/04 at 2:47 pm

You know you're an 80's child if you owned any of the following :

Parachute pants
a Glitter glove
Burnt Orange/Rust colored Puff pants
Alphabet print clothing
Japanese flag boat neck shirt
A leather/pleather jacket with more than 10 zippers
A pair of earings that came in 1 long, 1 short
pastel purple boombox with neon pink writing
Giant "Slouch" socks (leg warmers w/feet)
A white t-shirt with a white persian kitten printed on it w/ rhine stone eyes (still popular in some places actually)
Patch work leather clothing (all differnt colors)
Electric Youth perfume
Lace palm gloves
A clock necklace (at least 2 inches wide)
Brand new Pre-ripped Jeans
anything with BIG square shoulder pads

Also if you ever did any of these things when it was still "cool" :

Tied a bandana around your leg/arm
Wore dog flap painter's caps
Wore two differnt colors of socks that didn't match your clothes at all
Wore monochromatic make-up (everything one color - like pink, orange or blue)
got a mullet or any other bi-level hair cut

Written By: PeeWee04 on 11/11/04 at 1:29 pm

what if you were born in 1980, are you concidered a child of the 80s?  I consider myself a child of the 80s...

you know you're an 80s child if...

every time you hear Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" it makes you think of the girl next door's mom sunbathing on the back porch with that song playing on the radio...

Written By: chel-bert on 11/12/04 at 1:54 pm

;D If I ask you about May 1983 and ask you what was the entertainment story of that month, as a child of the eighties, you could answer it b/c chances are you watched it first-hand, not as a re-run!

Tanya

I completely consider myself a child of the 80's (born '78) and I have no idea what your talking about. I think being an 80's child has less to do with when you were born than what decade influenced your life. It sounds weird but I think a lot of how you remember your childhood is due largely to your parents. I had fairly young parents in their 20's during the 80's, We had an Atari 2600 that they bought mostly for themselves. They opened a roller rink in 86' so that I wasconstantly listening to the current music, I got up early on Saturday to watch cartoons but my dad was always on the couch with me. He loved Thundercats and Dungeons and Dragons almost more than I did! They took me and my little brother('84) to the ninja turtles in concert, as well as all the movies, including Gremlins and tron.  I am in my twenties now myself and I have tapes and Cd's and radio stations that all are pure 80's music. My husband was born a year before I was and he has almost NO 80's memories and we figured out that his parents were already into their 40's during the 80's and he was not exposed to as much pop culture from that decade as I was, (he still listens to country music) I on the other hand actually attended a New Kids concert and have Milli Vanillis' first album on a cassette that I wouldn't trade for the world as well as "Michael Jacksons thriller" and "Making of Thriller" on the flip sides of a laser disc.  I feel like an 80's child right down to my bones even if I was only 5 in '83.

And you KNOW your a child of the 80s if you still don't know what "Having a Roni" is and everyone you ask looks at you like your crazy.

Written By: Heather on 01/25/05 at 11:55 pm

I was born in78 and I remember watching:
                                                          HEMAN,    JEM,     MIGHTY MOUSE,     SILVER SPOONS,   
FACTS OF LIFE, ALF

Does anyone REMEMBER the name of the children's winter gloves that changed colors when you went from hot to cold weather? They were pretty cool.

Written By: Tam on 01/26/05 at 1:03 am

FACTS OF LIFE, ALF

Does anyone REMEMBER the name of the children's winter gloves that changed colors when you went from hot to cold weather? They were pretty cool.

Born 1971

The only color changing articles I remember are Hyper-Color t-shirts.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 4:47 pm

FACTS OF LIFE, ALF

Freezie Freakies?

Howard

Written By: bubble on 01/27/05 at 9:28 pm

you know you're an 80's child if you used 3 cans of super hold aqua net hair spray to make your hair stand up like a rooster after crimping it and had the best blue eyeshadow on up to your eyebrows . you know you're a 80's child if you owned every plastic charm from the dime machine at the grocery store for all seven charm bracelets you wore. or owned (and wore )more than one watch at a time. owned jelly bracelets and jelly shoes.ever wore layered colored socks with your penny loafers strech pants and a belt over your super large bright orange shirt that hung to your knees.you know you were a 80's child if you have ever tasted hubba bubba bubble gum pink soda and liked it. i remember all the best candy was invented in the 80's.oh and i loved both the corey's!

Written By: 1980schild.com on 08/27/05 at 6:53 pm

http://www.maggiethatcher.com/80prod.JPG

You know you're an 80s child if you had a Spectrum 48k computer with rubber keyboard, or Dunlop Green Flash trainers or an addidas bag like the one pictured.

http://www.topicaltees.co.uk

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/27/05 at 7:31 pm

I know I'm an 80's child because i get misty eyed and cry when I think of how much fun I had back then and how damn repressive the times seem now a days and not to mention, nothing is even remotely as it was back then.

If anyone develops a time machine back to the 80's I am now stating I will be a volunteer to see if it works. I'd rather die trying to get back there than continue on this path. Just am not having much fun these days

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 08/27/05 at 7:57 pm

Well I consider myself a child of the 80s, I am turning 30 next year :o and it's scary, cos I do feel old!
M-M-M-Max Headroom, was he a legend or was he a legend?
I got through that many radio cassette players, a coupe of which were in "fashion colours" I might add :D
What IS that noise on the radio??? I don't think I wanna know! It's not music and that's for sure! I only listen to the radio at work, cos I have no choice and I do so enjoy the "80s mix", every day at midday.
I love looking out the window of the bus and seeing all the 80s fashion that has come back, it is a beautiful thing! I love the fact that I can shop for an "80s gig" outfit in a trendy boutique, rather than spend all day rummaging in the op shops. If only it weren't so expensive!
I can always seem to find someone who loved and misses the 80s as much as I, but funnily enough most of them are at least 5 years older!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/05 at 8:01 pm

I know I'm an 80's child because i get misty eyed and cry when I think of how much fun I had back then and how damn repressive the times seem now a days and not to mention, nothing is even remotely as it was back then.

If anyone develops a time machine back to the 80's I am now stating I will be a volunteer to see if it works. I'd rather die trying to get back there than continue on this path. Just am not having much fun these days

Totally man, I'll be right behind you on that trip! :)

I can't believe how far we've come - the world itself isn't that different, but it's also far enough away that it's a notable change, if that makes sense. Even in the 90's, it was still "in reach" since it was only a decade earlier. Yeah, the pop culture was very "un 80s" but it still felt close enough, but now it's like, that was 20 years ago.

People look noticeably different from back then. The little kids of the 80's are all adults or very late teenagers now.

The most painful thing, I think, about going forward is seeing people I love getting older. Especially my parents. It just doesn't feel "real" to me - I'm so used to my mom being more like a big sister and friend to me, in the 30s and maybe 40, but 51? No way. And not talking of retiring in 15 years!

I sure as h-ll get sad when I think of my dad being 67 and slowly turning into a senior citizen, when my perception was always that of a super entertaining middle aged guy. I care about that far far more than any change in trends or video games or music.

I also have an uncle in his 70s who still smokes, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't worry he was in his last ten or so years. Ironically, the fact that pretty much everyone in my family acts and looks notably younger than their real ages makes it all the more harder to realize this. :(

^ Sorry to go off on that bit of depressing talk, but I really think that's the most painful/hard thing about going into the future. Stuff you know gets less familar and further away every day and there's not a d@mn thing you can do to stop it.

Written By: robby76 on 08/28/05 at 8:24 am

A nice reflective note there Marty... my Pops is 68 and already he's slowed down considerably, and I hear your concerns. And I too hate the fact that each year takes us further and further away from the 80's and a less hectic time. Skyscrapers are coming up so fast where I live... and i mean super-skyscrapers... all my childhood places and quiet neighbourhoods are literally being demolished.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/05 at 10:07 am

^ Thanks for understanding, dude - you're right too.

For the record, my dad is still VERY not "67" in personality or tastes in certain TV/music/hobbies, but age is age - 3 years from 70 and 13 years from 80. My mind still perceives him as, like 49 or at least a logical outgrowth of that.

Time slipping away is scary because it happens alot faster than you ever thought it would.

To a far less personal extent, I even feel the same way when I see celebrities looking considerably older than in the era I was introduced to them in. Like Bill Murray for instance, he's only 55 or so and looks ancient now (in the last ten years, he seems to have physically aged about 30 years) with that old man beard and white hair. It's like Venkman and Bob Wiley and all those other characters are long gone now.

Or with Rod Stewart in his 60's and doing standards, tons of other examples too, but you get the idea.

I hear ya about neighborhoods too - reminds me so much of the Kinks 80's comeback hit "Come Dancing", the words of that always got to me since I could identify with it so much. It fits those kind of situations perfectly.

Written By: robby76 on 08/28/05 at 10:22 am

I hear ya about neighborhoods too - reminds me so much of the Kinks 80's comeback hit "Come Dancing", the words of that always got to me since I could identify with it so much. It fits those kind of situations perfectly.

Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell fits that bill too.

Written By: Acidpiss on 08/28/05 at 12:18 pm

You know you're an 80s child if...

You saw E.T. in the theater.
Every year you got a new Trapper Keeper for school. This was a very big deal to you.
Velcro shoes were the preferred means of annoying teachers without getting caught easily.
You remember girls at school bringing in their Cabbage Patch Kids and having mock weddings with them.
You had a flip-top desk at school.
You had a top-loading VCR that you had to practically slam close with both hands.
Your breakfast cereals included Kaboom!, Cabbage Patch Kids, G.I.Joe Action Stars, Pac-Man, Sunday Funnies, King Vitamin, Boo Berry.
You remember cartoons like Kidd Video, Hulk Hogan's Rock and Wrestling, FooFur, Wyldefire, Glowfriends, Super Friends, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Dungeons and Dragons, Blackstarr, Top Cat, Heathcliff, Danger Mouse.
Getting a cassette walkman was a huge deal.
You wore Vision Street Wear.

Yeah, I could go on for a while.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/29/05 at 9:32 am

;D  I wanna hop on that time machine too Metal...

Written By: Acidpiss on 08/29/05 at 10:09 am

80smuzikhead -

I'm turning 30 next year as well. Feel...so...old.

Is it just me, or did 1-19 go by really slowly and then 20-29 go by really quickly?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/29/05 at 3:00 pm

it's not just you, acid. I feel the same way. Yes, I'll be 30 next year, too! boo-whoo!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/29/05 at 3:13 pm

I never believed "the adults" or "grown ups" when they kept saying you would go from 16 to 30 in no time, and how it all goes by so fast.  I thought it was just crazy talk by older people. 

Until it started happening to me....

Now we're the adults.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/29/05 at 7:14 pm

8)  Hey ...you guys make me feel real old!!! Im gonna be 39 this year!!!!

Written By: rip_jeans on 09/01/05 at 8:18 am

80's child if you wore these name brands:

T & C Surf Design
Maui & Son
O.P.
Vaurnet
Sideout
L.A. Gear
British Knights (aka BK)
Reebok "Pump"

if you are female, wore super tight denim jeans or short black skirt, drove a VW Cabriolet
if you are male, had a pony tail

watched these TV shows

Differen't Strokes
Facts Of Life
Silver Spoons
Who's The Boss
Growing Pains
Three's Company

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/01/05 at 4:34 pm

::)  yep  Ocean Pacific....I still have a pair of op shorts that I actually still wear...they are grey Courderoy..LOL..they are ugly but Soo comfortable!!

Written By: Kelly on 10/04/05 at 7:06 am

Do you know where i can get the hubba bubba cans of soda, i cant find one anywhere.

Written By: okeypokey on 10/04/05 at 7:12 am

i remember hubba bubba soda .Do you know where i can get hold of a can of hubba bubba soda, as i have been searching forever for one

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/04/05 at 7:37 am

I had velcro shoes once, they were easy to put on!  ;D

Written By: drewbru on 10/04/05 at 9:45 am

I had velcro shoes once, they were easy to put on!   ;D

I also had a pair of velcro sneakers back in the early 80's.  It was very nice not having to worry about your shoelaces getting knotted, or coming untied!  Nowadays, the only velcro shoes I see are for kids who are too young to tie their shoes;  I guess that velcro is no longer considered to be stylish  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/04/05 at 9:32 pm

Remember Spuds MacKenzie, the original party dog!

http://www.breweriana.com/coasters/mat00568.jpg

And the equally controversial Joe Camel!  ;D

Written By: TC1970 on 10/05/05 at 6:35 am

You know you're an 80s child if....

You had your tape deck  record/play and pause held in waiting all day to record your favorirte songs. ;D

Written By: drewbru on 10/05/05 at 8:15 am

You had your tape deck  record/play and pause held in waiting all day to record your favorirte songs. ;D

YES!  I used to do this all the time on my Panasonic boom-box (using Maxell tapes, of course!).  One thing I like about listening to my 80's tape mixes (the few that have survived, that is) is that they contain snippets from the DJ's faded into the beginning and ending of the songs.  It gives the songs a sense of "presence", of being in the time and place in which they were recorded.

Written By: TC1970 on 10/05/05 at 6:39 pm

YES!  I used to do this all the time on my Panasonic boom-box (using Maxell tapes, of course!).  One thing I like about listening to my 80's tape mixes (the few that have survived, that is) is that they contain snippets from the DJ's faded into the beginning and ending of the songs.  It gives the songs a sense of "presence", of being in the time and place in which they were recorded.

I must http://www.entheogen.com/images/smiles/bowdown.gif to you and your 80's presence. . :)  How many times did you play the songs back in order to get the lyrics?

Written By: drewbru on 10/05/05 at 7:47 pm

I must http://www.entheogen.com/images/smiles/bowdown.gif to you and your 80's presence. . :)  How many times did you play the songs back in order to get the lyrics?

I like your Wayne's World - "we're not worthy, we're not worthy" smiley, TC1970!  Never seen that one before -- I'll have to bookmark the URL for future reference.  My mixture tapes have been played back literally hundreds of times (some of them, I still can't make out the lyrics for!  Of course, with the Web, you can Google the lyrics to almost any song, whiich takes much of the fun out of it).  The two artists that I made a serious effort to learn the lyrics for were Pink Floyd and Sting -- both are very intelligent songwriters, IMHO.  By 1987, I had a CD player, and since most CD's come with liner notes containing the lyrics, I could get them from that.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 10/05/05 at 7:49 pm

You might be an Australian child of the 70s/80s if...
You remember Hector the Road Safety Cat sing: "look to the right, look to the left, and look to the right again; then if the road is clear of traffic; walk straight across the road, DONT RUN!, walk straight across the road"
You remember the Ma-na-ma-na song - done by the MUPPETS.
20c worth of mixed lollies could last you hours...and 50c, well only older kids could afford that much. Icypoles were 5c and paddle pops were 20 c.
Sunnyboys and poppers were your stable school diet.
You decided against rushing out and buying a CD player because you objected to the fact that you were being forced to change your collection.
Picture this ... after your nightly bath, in dressing gown, ugg boots or moccasins, bean bag, Milo, dumadumadumaduma-COUNTDOWN!!
Summers were long and hot.
Coke adds life!
Fanta tasted like fanta should.
There was Tang and Tab.
Hey Hey Hey, it's Fat Albert time.
You wondered how the Coke girls and boys got inside that big clear beach ball.
You remember the advent of AIDS, Ecstasy etc etc.
You remember spending the whole day at the beach with no sunblock at all ................ whats more, you didn't get burnt - much.
You wore a leather band around your wrist and believed that any boy/girl that broke it, you had to sleep with them.
Basketball was only played by Americans.
Dunlop Volleys were a viable option.
Sneakers in general were sneakers and not more advanced than your fridge.
Doctor Who scared you silly.
You remember the FIRST space invaders (someone in your street had an Atari right?).
You queued up to see The Village People Movie.
You saw Grease and ET at the movies.
You went to a Drive-in with your parents...in your pyjamas.
You had a $50 walkman that had FAT headphones and chewed tapes after the first three days.
You had a Commodore-64 that took hour to load each game.
Microbees were advanced.
Floppy disks were ACTUALLY floppy.
You actually went through at least one pair of thongs a year because you wore them so much.
You remember when the first people in your street got a video machine, it was top loading and there was no such thing as a remote control.
Beta vs VHS wars.
You remember a few years later they developed a remote control - but it was attached by a cord to the video that was always too short to operate it from the lounge anyway.
Tommy Lee was known to you only for his musical abilities, not the ones shown in the video with Pammy Lee.
I love rock and roll, so put another dime in the jukebox baby...
It's the final countdown da na na na ...
You were at school on Ash Wednesday.
You remember real water restrictions.
You desperately desperately wanted one of those cool six wheeled buggies that the Banana Splits drove.
Stubbing your toe whilst running across the road in summer barefoot, trying not to burn your feet raw was an annual experience.
You remember those plastic "Peters" icecream signs glowing at the top of the milkbar.

You watched Hey Hey It's Saturday..... before breakfast!
You remember the fuss over the swearing in ET...did you hear the one about the father who dragged his kid screaming out of ET because of the"Penis breath" remark??
High schools were high schools and Techs were techs...none of this Secondary College rubbish.
Bogans used to ride their bikes to Tech...remember the modified racer with the wide wide wide handle bars...remember the older kids popping a mono that lasted the whole length of the street.
Tab, so right for beautiful people.
You remember Azaria Chamberlain.
You used to go to Victorian Football League matches to see the South Melbourne Swans.
Leopard footprints on the soles of your schoolshoes were ace!
You saw Star Wars in the cinema (the first time).
You remember buying Wham! on LP.
Matchbox cars or Barbies were essential to your development.
Girls had cardboard dolls that came with books of paper clothes that you tore out and stuck on the doll.
The kid with the pool was your best friend...until someone got an INGROUND pool. wow!
The only place you could get a pizza was Pizza Hut - and it was expensive !!!
You put chip packets in the oven to make shrinkies.
An essential part of your packed lunch in highschool was a Prima juice, unless you bought a frozen Sunny Boy.
You played dress-ups in your parents funky clothes that you would kill to get your hands on now.
You had a terry toweling hat that had yellow plastic sunglasses built into the brim that came down over your face.
You weren't wearing flannelette because it was cool.
You didnt want the hairdresser to cut above your ears until late high school.
You actually went through at least one pair of thongs a year because you wore them so much.
Fags were called fags and nobody batted an eyelid when 8 year olds walked down the street with a lolly cigarette hanging out their mouth.
There were swap cards in with the bread that was wrapped in wax paper.
Ice cream came in tins made of metal, not plastic pots.
You got tough summer feet every summer without trying.
You remember when electric typewriters came in.
You werent old enough to go to Alien.
I was made for loving you baby....
You can't stop the music...
Video killed the radio star....
Hey mickey what a pity you don't understand...
I come from a land down under...

Any of this ring a bell?

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/05/05 at 9:59 pm

8)
You might be an Australian child of the 70s/80s if...
You remember Hector the Road Safety Cat sing: "look to the right, look to the left, and look to the right again; then if the road is clear of traffic; walk straight across the road, DONT RUN!, walk straight across the road"
You remember the Ma-na-ma-na song - done by the MUPPETS.
20c worth of mixed lollies could last you hours...and 50c, well only older kids could afford that much. Icypoles were 5c and paddle pops were 20 c.
Sunnyboys and poppers were your stable school diet.
You decided against rushing out and buying a CD player because you objected to the fact that you were being forced to change your collection.
Picture this ... after your nightly bath, in dressing gown, ugg boots or moccasins, bean bag, Milo, dumadumadumaduma-COUNTDOWN!!
Summers were long and hot.
Coke adds life!
Fanta tasted like fanta should.
There was Tang and Tab.
Hey Hey Hey, it's Fat Albert time.
You wondered how the Coke girls and boys got inside that big clear beach ball.
You remember the advent of AIDS, Ecstasy etc etc.
You remember spending the whole day at the beach with no sunblock at all ................ whats more, you didn't get burnt - much.
You wore a leather band around your wrist and believed that any boy/girl that broke it, you had to sleep with them.
Basketball was only played by Americans.
Dunlop Volleys were a viable option.
Sneakers in general were sneakers and not more advanced than your fridge.
Doctor Who scared you silly.
You remember the FIRST space invaders (someone in your street had an Atari right?).
You queued up to see The Village People Movie.
You saw Grease and ET at the movies.
You went to a Drive-in with your parents...in your pyjamas.
You had a $50 walkman that had FAT headphones and chewed tapes after the first three days.
You had a Commodore-64 that took hour to load each game.
Microbees were advanced.
Floppy disks were ACTUALLY floppy.
You remember when the first people in your street got a video machine, it was top loading and there was no such thing as a remote control.
Beta vs VHS wars.
You remember a few years later they developed a remote control - but it was attached by a cord to the video that was always too short to operate it from the lounge anyway.
Tommy Lee was known to you only for his musical abilities, not the ones shown in the video with Pammy Lee.
I love rock and roll, so put another dime in the jukebox baby...
It's the final countdown da na na na ...
You were at school on Ash Wednesday.
You remember real water restrictions.
You desperately desperately wanted one of those cool six wheeled buggies that the Banana Splits drove.
Stubbing your toe whilst running across the road in summer barefoot, trying not to burn your feet raw was an annual experience.
You remember those plastic "Peters" icecream signs glowing at the top of the milkbar.

You watched Hey Hey It's Saturday..... before breakfast!
You remember the fuss over the swearing in ET...did you hear the one about the father who dragged his kid screaming out of ET because of the"Penis breath" remark??
High schools were high schools and Techs were techs...none of this Secondary College rubbish.
Bogans used to ride their bikes to Tech...remember the modified racer with the wide wide wide handle bars...remember the older kids popping a mono that lasted the whole length of the street.
Tab, so right for beautiful people.
You remember Azaria Chamberlain.
You used to go to Victorian Football League matches to see the South Melbourne Swans.
Leopard footprints on the soles of your schoolshoes were ace!
You saw Star Wars in the cinema (the first time).
You remember buying Wham! on LP.
Matchbox cars or Barbies were essential to your development.
Girls had cardboard dolls that came with books of paper clothes that you tore out and stuck on the doll.
The kid with the pool was your best friend...until someone got an INGROUND pool. wow!
The only place you could get a pizza was Pizza Hut - and it was expensive !!!
You put chip packets in the oven to make shrinkies.
An essential part of your packed lunch in highschool was a Prima juice, unless you bought a frozen Sunny Boy.
You played dress-ups in your parents funky clothes that you would kill to get your hands on now.
You had a terry toweling hat that had yellow plastic sunglasses built into the brim that came down over your face.
You weren't wearing flannelette because it was cool.
You didnt want the hairdresser to cut above your ears until late high school.
Fags were called fags and nobody batted an eyelid when 8 year olds walked down the street with a lolly cigarette hanging out their mouth.
You got tough summer feet every summer without trying.
You remember when electric typewriters came in.
You werent old enough to go to Alien.
I was made for loving you baby....
You can't stop the music...
Video killed the radio star....
Hey mickey what a pity you don't understand...
I come from a land down under...

Any of this ring a bell?
  Absolutely!!!! Im not from Australia..but pretty much all rings true!!...So Very True!!!

Subject: SUPER SUNDAY(Jem, Bigfoot & The Muscle Machines, Robotix, Inhumanoids)

Written By: Ryan Lepore on 05/13/06 at 9:17 pm

Super Sunday and Super Saturday fans of Jem, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Robotix, and Inhumanoids, please sign the Super Sunday Petition, and please visit this Super Sunday website too. 8)

SUPER SUNDAY PETITION:

http://www.petitiononline.com/celtics/petition.html

SUPER SUNDAY WEBSITE (Robotix & Bigfoot):

http://www.transformerscds.com/frames/SuperSunday.htm

Written By: 80s fanatic on 05/13/06 at 11:28 pm

That sounds just like me !!!! I was grounded alot, so I spent alot of time in my room listening to my radio. I would have to buy lots of cassette tapes because they'd get filled up fast. I still have a couple of them left today.

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/06 at 11:34 pm

I know I am an 80's child because I remember loads of 80's songs when they were popular in the 80's  8)

Written By: Ryan Lepore on 06/10/06 at 7:29 pm

Super Sunday fans of Jem, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Robotix, and Inhumanoids, please go to the Super Sunday on DVD voting poll on TV SHOWS ON DVD.COM and cast your vote for Super Sunday on DVD now. 8)

SUPER SUNDAY ON DVD VOTING POLL (TV SHOWS ON DVD.COM):

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/showinfo.cfm?showID=10080

Written By: wndysbg on 06/10/06 at 8:05 pm

I also went from a teen to an adult in the '80's and can identify with this list very well.  Of course, my crush in the '80's, and still today, is the most beautiful Johnny Depp.  He has aged wonderfully and he just turned 43!!!

I agree Koop - 40 is NOT old!!!      ;D

Written By: wndysbg on 06/10/06 at 8:09 pm

Oh - I did that - many times

I remember my brothers and I thinking we had the best Xmas gift EVER!!!

Reebok high-tops

Gunne Sack prom dresses

Wore one of those - even went to the factory in San Fran to buy it  :)

Great memories

Written By: wndysbg on 06/10/06 at 8:12 pm

I'm sorry, Howard...I didn't mean to make you think that I was responding or critisizing what you said....I was responding to the comment in the original post.  :)

But I definitely felt the same at 15.  ;)

I rememer as a senior in high school - 1984 - my English teacher telling us that we should go and see the world, travel, college, do all the fun things before we settle down and raise a family.  She said she had waited until she was 30 to get married and now at 33 had a young daughter.  I remember my friends and I talking about HOW OLD she was.  She just seemed so old and mature at 30.  I wish I was 30 again.  :)

Written By: wndysbg on 06/10/06 at 8:14 pm

You remember the Wendy's commercials with the grumpy old lady asking, "Where's the Beef?"  Guess what my name is?  How much did I hate the guys in junior high taunting me with that one and "hot and juicy" too?!

We share the same name and I heard the same jokes.  I KNOW exactly how you felt.

Written By: kbundy on 06/11/06 at 12:04 am

the other day my microwave broke and it took a minute to remember how to heat lasagna up in a pan on top of the stove.bet my kids wouldnt even have a clue.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/11/06 at 3:37 pm

the other day my microwave broke and it took a minute to remember how to heat lasagna up in a pan on top of the stove.bet my kids wouldnt even have a clue.

I tried to explain to my students (7th/8th graders) what life was like before microwaves and they looked at me like I was from outer space.  Life before microwaves - never heard of such a thing.  ;D

Written By: Kryllith on 06/15/06 at 1:42 pm

I tried to explain to my students (7th/8th graders) what life was like before microwaves and they looked at me like I was from outer space.  Life before microwaves - never heard of such a thing.   ;D

Bring in some plain popcorn kernals and show them where it comes from. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 3:27 pm

hahahhahah my greatest trick!!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/16/06 at 3:40 am

You remember BOTH the old woman AND the old man from the "Wendy's" commercials.
You can remember how to do 'The Robot', 'The Neutron', and 'breakdancing' without killing yourself.
You still get freaked out when "Michael Jackson's Thriller" video gets played on Halloween night.
You can quote every verse in the song "We Got the Beat", WITHOUT looking at any source material!
You still think Pat Benatar, Joan Jett & Sheena Easton are the hottest women on the planet.
You offer advice to people that you remember from "The Karate Kid" and "Band Of the Hand".
You tell your co-workers that your boss reminds you of either Mr. Hand, Skeletor, or The Whammy.
You shout, "Big Bucks!" when someone tells you you're "pressing your luck".
Someone tells you, "Do I have to spell it out for you?", and you ask to buy a vowel.
Your wardrobe resembles something Doctor Who would wear.
You can actually quote anything from the "Micro Machines" commercials.
You look at a video game and wonder where the power pellets and hammers are.
You model your hairdo after Wink Martindale, Jon Bon Jovi or the lead singer from Flock Of Seagulls.
You can name at least 7 game-show hosts of the '80s, and the shows they were on.
You tell your doctor you have Pac-Man Fever.
You freak out if you see hockey masks, knives, gloves, or green coveralls.
You got nervous when "Mike Myers" first appeared on SNL.
You answer your phone by saying, "Hey, bud. Let's party!"
You remember Michael Jackson BEFORE he became a plastic chamelion.
You plot revenge on your boss by watching "9 To 5".
You can remember when "crack" was a sexual reference.
You can remember when Tony Danza was a popular actor.
You play air guitar to "that bitchin' song" at your best friend's weekend party.
Your best plan to score with a woman is to play Side 2 of "Led Zepplin IV".
You hear about an airplane disaster, and wonder where Robert Hays, Leslie Nielsen and Lloyd Bridges were.
Your only response to any foul odor in the area is, "Oh, aw! Dude!!!"
You want to introduce your teenager to sex by showing them "The World According To Garp".
AND! My personal favorite of all-times:
Spandex is a critical part of your wardrobe, and you have at least 3 pants in neon pink, red, or green.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/16/06 at 1:53 pm

You know you're an 80's child if....

You had a lunchbox still made of tin (and later graduated to Thermos brand)
You had crimped hair from time to time.
You had the Little Twinstar cups and crayons, etc.
You wore tennis shoes that had velcro and for dress up days you wore patent leather.
You watched old episodes of Yogi Bear, the Pink Panther, Spy vs. Spy, Disney cartoons, Heathcliff, Alvin and the Chipmunks.
You wore clips in your hair which had your name on it.
Most of your parents kitchenware was made by Tupperware and looked very '70s (oranges, browns, reds, etc)
You had less than 40 channels to watch
You listened to records more than CDs, and cassettes were the top dog.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/16/06 at 2:14 pm

You would wait for MAD Magazine to come out, just to see "Spy Vs. Spy".
You own at least one of the 3 Spy Vs. Spy computer games.
Your hair colors were layered at least 3 times.
You think that there is only one proper slang term for various parts of the human anatomy.
You cried when they announced "Cheers" was going off the air.
You know at least 20 slang terms for flatulence.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/16/06 at 3:53 pm

... if you were forced wearing 1970's style leisure suits that were made for children, but their parents thought they were still cute and fashionable.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/16/06 at 5:07 pm

If you answer any question with either "Fer shurr!", "Bitchin'", "Gnarly", or "Gag me with a spoon!"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/16/06 at 5:11 pm

If you answer any question with either "Fer shurr!", "Bitchin'", "Gnarly", or "Gag me with a spoon!"

... or "Neato Burrito," "Fresh," "Awesome."

Written By: wndysbg on 06/16/06 at 5:31 pm

My best friend in high school ALWAYS said, " Oh my GAWD!" in a real high squeeky voice, plus using the word "like" every other word.  At our 10 year reunion I did not recognize her - she actually changed that much - but once she said, "Oh my GAWD - I'm like so sure" I KNEW EXACTLY who she was.

Written By: FLaLa on 06/17/06 at 12:05 pm

What's your definition of an 80's child? Born in the 80's? Or born before?

If you looked like this your freshman year in high school:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/lauralea2/LauraLea85.jpg

Yes.  That is me, circa 1985.  Right smack in the middle of it all.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/20/06 at 12:08 pm

I LOVE the Bonnie Tyler "Total Eclipse Of the Heart" look!
Very nice!

If I'd've known you back then, I'd've taken you to the prom!
Fer shurr!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/20/06 at 3:04 pm

I tried to explain to my students (7th/8th graders) what life was like before microwaves and they looked at me like I was from outer space.  Life before microwaves - never heard of such a thing.   ;D

Mircowave oven, best invention ever!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 4:33 pm

Hell, I still do that (although I didn't start making tapes myself until c. 1994 when I was around 12). :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 4:44 pm

Hell, I still do that (although I didn't start making tapes myself until c. 1994 when I was around 12). :D

I don't do that quite as often, but even as late as maybe 3-4 years ago, I still taped stuff quite often. During the '80s, though, I think I killed off some tape recorders doing that.. I used to pause it a certain way, where I could make one song go into the next and make it sound like it was a continuous play. You thought of all kinds of crap when you didn't have a computer to keep you busy.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 4:49 pm

I don't do that quite as often, but even as late as maybe 3-4 years ago, I still taped stuff quite often. During the '80s, though, I think I killed off some tape recorders doing that.. I used to pause it a certain way, where I could make one song go into the next and make it sound like it was a continuous play. You thought of all kinds of crap when you didn't have a computer to keep you busy.  ;D

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but around 12-13 I did discover a little trick I still have fun with -- sometimes it works better with certain tapes/machines, but if you hold the pause button down just right, it'll speed the tape up. So if you're recording, once it plays back, it's way slower ('cause the tape covers more ground).

Although I'm sure that can't be good for the machines! I'm actually a semi boombox/electronics collector in the last few years (i.e. thrift stores and such). I'm pretty anal about taking care of them and all, but that's the one thing I still can't resist doing. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 4:56 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but around 12-13 I did discover a little trick I still have fun with -- sometimes it works better with certain tapes/machines, but if you hold the pause button down just right, it'll speed the tape up. So if you're recording, once it plays back, it's way slower ('cause the tape covers more ground).

Although I'm sure that can't be good for the machines! I'm actually a semi boombox/electronics collector in the last few years (i.e. thrift stores and such). I'm pretty anal about taking care of them and all, but that's the one thing I still can't resist doing. ;D

Yeah, it's something like that but what I did was:

1. Tape the song
2. Stop it.
3. Rewind to the tail end of the song
4. Press pause and record at the same time.
5. when the next song you like comes on, I'd unpause it and it would then record.

Written By: Davester on 06/20/06 at 5:01 pm

1. Tape the song
2. Stop it.
5. when the next song you like comes on, I'd unpause it and it would then record.

Heheh...exactly...!

Also, unless I'm mistaken, you could avoid recording that clicking sound between songs with this method...

You kinda said that already, though...

Me to myself:  "Hmmm...I think I still owe someone an A-Ha tape..."

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 5:06 pm

1. Tape the song
2. Stop it.

Oh yeah, so they're "right on top" of each other? It does mix for a second or so while the old recording "fades out", just becausse the erase head is an inch or so before the record/play head.

Sometimes I do that, but I always had a thing for "fadeouts" (ask my parents, lol - when I was a kid, I was damn near obsessed with fades! ;D ) and liked a song to at least fade most of the way out before stopping it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 5:12 pm

Heheh...exactly...!

Also, unless I'm mistaken, you could avoid recording that clicking sound between songs with this method...

You kinda said that already, though...

Me to myself:  "Hmmm...I think I still owe someone an A-Ha tape..."

Exactly. And that's why I did it, I hated any crackles or pops. I would spend hours making these tapes, that I actually made up my own tape service and illegally sold them to kids at school. They gave me their order and I made them their tape..  ;D They loved my technique... but supposedly I wasn't the only one who did it this way - shucks  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/06 at 7:32 pm

I always had a thing for "fadeouts" (ask my parents, lol - when I was a kid, I was damn near obsessed with fades! ;D ) and liked a song to at least fade most of the way out before stopping it.

...if you ever wanted to strangle a DJ for being quiet when a song faded in, when the song faded out, but did a station ID and status report on the people dancing in his club, right in the middle of the 12" extended remix of the song you'd spent every weekend trying to record off his live-to-air show for two months.

(...and if, 20 years later, when you've got the mix on vinyl, CD, and MP3, you keep the old tape around, because after Clear Channel killed radio, you kinda miss the idea of having a real DJ accompanying you on those cross-country trips.)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/20/06 at 10:02 pm

you refuse to set foot in a bar, lounge, or nightclub unless they have at least 50 songs of the '80s on the jukebox.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/21/06 at 4:30 pm

Mircowave oven, best invention ever!  ;D

Won't hear any argument from me.  I do not know how to live without one now.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/21/06 at 7:38 pm

you.ve ever screamed "One More Time!" at a fairground concert where you heard "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" played twice.

Written By: Ryan Lepore on 10/08/06 at 8:09 pm

Please sign the BRING BEVERLY HILLS TEENS ON DVD PETITION: 8)

http://www.petitiononline.com/bht/petition.html

Written By: karen on 10/09/06 at 7:58 am

Any of this ring a bell??

Yes, you posted the same list about a year ago.  See page 5 of this thread.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 10/09/06 at 8:16 am

My bad *embaressed*

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/11/06 at 12:37 pm

... you feel tempted to purchase tight black leggings with a jean mini skirt, studded with gems.

Written By: Nostalgic on 10/11/06 at 8:55 pm

^ and match them with say, a thin red belt with studs, wrapped around your waist at least twice.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/12/06 at 6:13 pm

^ Yeah, and then get a really cute bob hair cut with bangs. Man, never did I think I would look back at the '80s with such fondness  ;D

Written By: KKay on 10/12/06 at 8:48 pm

you still have 100 black rubber bracelets

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/13/06 at 2:16 am

1. You can remember the names of at least 50 Smurfs.

2. You remember every single word to the song "Valley Girl", without having to use lyrics sheets, or cheat via the Internet.

3. You remember when Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Rich Hall, Martin Short, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Tim Kazurinsky were all cast members of SNL.

4. You still own that favorite "parachute suit" that you had in '83.

5. You think there should be a show called "Breakdancin' With the Stars".

6. You remember Alex Trebek before he went white-haired and lost the soup-strainer.

7. You remember the issues of Playboy that featured Vanna White and Dian Parkinson.

8. You think "Laser Tag" should be considered as an Olympic Sport.

9. You remember when they tried to make Pinball & Video Games into Olympic Sports.

10. You keep wondering where the rest of the "21 Jump Street" cast is, in any Johnny Depp film.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/13/06 at 2:13 pm

Couldn't wait to come home and play Super Mario Bros.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/06 at 11:30 pm

1. You can remember the names of at least 50 Smurfs.

2. You remember every single word to the song "Valley Girl", without having to use lyrics sheets, or cheat via the Internet.

3. You remember when Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Rich Hall, Martin Short, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Tim Kazurinsky were all cast members of SNL.

4. You still own that favorite "parachute suit" that you had in '83.

5. You think there should be a show called "Breakdancin' With the Stars".

6. You remember Alex Trebek before he went white-haired and lost the soup-strainer.

7. You remember the issues of Playboy that featured Vanna White and Dian Parkinson.

8. You think "Laser Tag" should be considered as an Olympic Sport.

9. You remember when they tried to make Pinball & Video Games into Olympic Sports.

10. You keep wondering where the rest of the "21 Jump Street" cast is, in any Johnny Depp film.

hahaha

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/06 at 11:33 pm

... you feel tempted to purchase tight black leggings with a jean mini skirt, studded with gems.

I kind of do, but my 30 year old mind won't let me do it.

Written By: Ryan Lepore on 10/28/06 at 9:37 pm

Please sign the BRING BEVERLY HILLS TEENS ON DVD PETITION: 8)

http://www.petitiononline.com/bht/petition.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/06 at 1:55 am

You ever tried to do THIS with your hair...

http://www.csindy.com/csindy/2005-08-18/sixtyseconds-1.gif

Regardless of whether or not you succeeded!

Written By: Hot Rod on 10/30/06 at 2:05 am

You Know you're an 80s child if.......

This means to me that you were a teenager during this period.  And then you would remember this era quite well.  I believe it was the A-Team that made me want to go into the Special Forces when I grew up heheh.

Written By: karen on 10/30/06 at 3:43 am

You ever tried to do THIS with your hair...

http://www.csindy.com/csindy/2005-08-18/sixtyseconds-1.gif

Regardless of whether or not you succeeded!

Did a mates hair like that once or twice.  Then we shaved it into a mohican.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/30/06 at 1:51 pm

... wore a Rainbow Brite Halloween costume made of vinyl and it also came with a freakish looking mask.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/06 at 4:06 pm

Did a mates hair like that once or twice.  Then we shaved it into a mohican.

So did I!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/30/06 at 10:46 pm

... wore a Rainbow Brite Halloween costume made of vinyl and it also came with a freakish looking mask.  :)

I knew someone that wore one and yes the mask was indeed freaky!

Check for new replies or respond here...