inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pop Singer Laura Branigan Has Died

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/29/04 at 12:35 am

I just found out that singer Laura Branigan has died.  I am truly saddened by this, as she was so young!  :\'(

This is the article from AP.....

NEW YORK - Laura Branigan (news), a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit "Gloria," has died. She was 47.

Branigan died of a brain aneurysm Thursday in her sleep at her home in East Quogue, said her brother Mark Branigan. He said she had complained to a friend of a headache for about two weeks before she died, but had not sought medical attention.

"Gloria," a signature song from her debut album "Branigan," stayed atop the pop charts for 36 weeks and earned her a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocalist, the first of four nominations in her career.

She also made television appearances, including guest spots on "CHiPs," and in the films "Mugsy's Girls" and "Backstage."

Branigan released seven albums after her debut "Branigan," including "Solitaire," "Self Control," and "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You," which was co-written with Michael Bolton (news). Her songs also appeared on soundtracks for the films "Flashdance" and "Ghostbusters."

Branigan was born July 3, 1957, and grew up in Brewster, N.Y. She attended the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Manhattan. During the late 1970s, she toured Europe as a backing vocalist for Canadian singer and songwriter Leonard Cohen. She signed as a solo artist with Atlantic Records in 1982.

After her run of success in the 1980s, her releases in the early 1990s attracted little attention. In 1994, she sang a duet with David Hasselhoff (news) called "I Believe" for the soundtrack of the television show "Baywatch." She released a 13-track "Best of Branigan" LP the next year.

After the death of her husband, Lawrence Kruteck, in 1996, Branigan stopped performing but returned to the stage in 2001. In 2002 she starred as Janis Joplin in the off-Broadway musical "Love, Janis," which earned her rave reviews.

Branigan recently had been working on material for a new release.

She is survived by her mother, two brothers and a sister. Funeral services were scheduled for Monday.

Subject: Re: Pop Singer Laura Branigan Has Died

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/29/04 at 3:07 am

I just found this out and I am still shocked and saddened by the death of this 80s icon. I hope she had enough songs for her album. She'll be missed. :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: hornet on 08/29/04 at 3:38 am

:\'(  ..another great singer gone to music heaven,i can't believe this !  .....only found this out 1 hour ago.

far too young, along with many others that should'nt have left us...

my fav's songs of hers ( gloria & solitaire ) will now remind me of the good ol' days as it always did, and unfortunately this weeks  event !

its scary to think whose gonna be next, it really is !......robert palmer was another that suprised me not so long ago.

R.I.P  -  Laura Branigan   

http://www.laurabraniganonline.com/

Written By: Paul on 08/29/04 at 4:04 am

A tragic shame, and way too young...

Although never huge over here, she did achieve success with a couple of tunes which will always be part of a lot of people's lives (mine included)...

RIP - Laura...

Written By: Howard on 08/29/04 at 10:44 am

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40013000/jpg/_40013550_braniganap_203.jpg

I couldn't believe the news when I heard she died of a brain anyeurism. :\'(
But 47 years old,what a shame.I wonder who's next to pass away?  :(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/29/04 at 10:47 am

A tragic shame, and way too young...

Although never huge over here, she did achieve success with a couple of tunes which will always be part of a lot of people's lives (mine included)...

RIP - Laura...

My favorites were Gloria,Self Control & Solitare. :(

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 08/29/04 at 11:50 am

Wow! What a shame. I loved Gloria and Self Control.  :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/29/04 at 11:54 am

Truly tragic. I suppose Laura is now in the 80's section of Rock N'Roll Heaven with Robert Palmer, Michael Hutchence, Falco, and Joe Strummer. Sadly, I think brain aneurysms are all too often mistaken for migraines(but I could be wrong). I kinda wondered what happened to her after "Gloria", I recall no other hits after that. Not to speak ill of the dead, but to me the video looked like it was shot on the set of a high school play, at least it made me laugh.
Our thoughts should go out to her family, feels like another pop music star gone too soon. To quote your song, Laura: How are we supposed to live without you?

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: zcrito on 08/29/04 at 12:41 pm

Truly tragic. I suppose Laura is now in the 80's section of Rock N'Roll Heaven with Robert Palmer, Michael Hutchence, Falco, and Joe Strummer. Sadly, I think brain aneurysms are all too often mistaken for migraines(but I could be wrong). I kinda wondered what happened to her after "Gloria", I recall no other hits after that. Not to speak ill of the dead, but to me the video looked like it was shot on the set of a high school play, at least it made me laugh.
Our thoughts should go out to her family, feels like another pop music star gone too soon. To quote your song, Laura: How are we supposed to live without you?

Your Pal,
Doc

Sure the video "Gloria" looked cheap, and so was Michael Jackson's "Rock With You" video. They were made right before cable television and MTV took off, so why spend alot of money on a video that will be seen only once on a Friday night's music show hosted by Wolfman Jack?
:)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/29/04 at 1:54 pm

Too sad and sudden!  :\'( I will miss her! I loved Gloria! I can't believe the news.

Tanya

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/04 at 4:59 pm

It is pretty sad.  Shows that you need to go to the doctor if you have a persistant headache.  It's not always a headache.

R.I.P. Laura

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/29/04 at 5:03 pm

Pretty blunt, Dagwood. But true. :-\\

It is pretty sad.  Shows that you need to go to the doctor if you have a persistant headache.  It's not always a headache.

R.I.P. Laura

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/04 at 5:19 pm

I'm Numb just plain numb :\'(

Written By: rubixgirl on 08/30/04 at 7:57 am

RIP Laura...So very sad.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 7:19 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

It will be hard to live without her but her music just like the rest of the music artists will always be played. :\'(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 7:20 pm

R.I.P. Laura

You just can't put it off and say you feel fine.You have to do it or it'll get worse. :(

Howard

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/30/04 at 9:03 pm

I always liked Laura Branigan.  Her Best Of Branigan CD is one of my most faves from my collection.  I think she was pretty underrated, she did a several songs that others later redid but nobody mentions her version.

She definitely died too young.  I knew someone who had "migraines" a lot and died of the same thing, at 30 something.  Whats tough is that youll probably never get diagnosed properly because doctors these days seem to prefer quantity over quality.

Her CD is actually in the changer in one of my cars right now.  I wont listen to it and feel the same again.  She will be very much missed.

Written By: nally on 08/30/04 at 10:36 pm

I found out about this yesterday morning after I came online. Poor thing. :\'( She was way too young.

My favorite songs of hers are "Gloria" and "Self Control".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/04 at 1:29 am

:\'(

I heard she had died on Sunday.  I didn't realize how many memories I have associated with her songs until I started thinking about how popular she was in the '80s.
My favorite Laura Branigan song is "Self Control."

If you have a persistent headache it's worth getting it checked out.  My mother had a cerebrovascular accident at the age of 41.  Hers was minor, but even so, she was in intensive care for weeks, and it took nearly 8 months for her to fully recover.
Mind you, an aneurysm is different from a stroke, but any condition involving the brain tissue must be taken very seriously.

Written By: Hairspray on 08/31/04 at 9:01 am

It's sad news indeed. :\'(

I have suffered from headaches most of my life. I even remember undergoing a C.A.T. scan in my youth. I guess it was concluded I suffer from migraines. I think I'll be asking for another scan after my next episode. It's definitely time for an update. Too bad it took the death of an 80's icon to remind me. :-[

May she rest in peace.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/04 at 3:39 pm

It's sad news indeed. :\'(

I have suffered from headaches most of my life. I even remember undergoing a C.A.T. scan in my youth. I guess it was concluded I suffer from migraines. I think I'll be asking for another scan after my next episode. It's definitely time for an update. Too bad it took the death of an 80's icon to remind me. :-[

May she rest in peace.

Hope you're feeling better,Hairspray. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/31/04 at 3:47 pm

Let's just pray that no one else passes away. :\'(

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/04 at 5:00 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

I think "Gloria" was on VH1's list of the 100 Worst Videos of all time.

One of the commentators theorized that the producers of the video said "We have to do this on the cheap!  Somebody go out and rent some disco balls... small ones, mind you!"

Heh heh...  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/04 at 7:18 pm

Let's just pray that no one else passes away. :\'(

Howard

Well, you gotta go sometime, Howard, it's in the contract!
;)

Written By: Hairspray on 08/31/04 at 11:31 pm

Hope you're feeling better,Hairspray. :)

Howard

Thanks Howard.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 8:15 pm

Well, you gotta go sometime, Howard, it's in the contract!
;)

I'm praying for James Brown, Carlos Santana,Mickey Rooney and a few others.  :(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 8:15 pm

Thanks Howard.

You're welcome. :)

Howard

Written By: moonbaby345 on 09/02/04 at 12:41 am

I found out about this yesterday morning after I came online. Poor thing. :\'( She was way too young.

Same here.

Written By: ferrisb on 09/02/04 at 11:36 am

Couldn't agree with you more. She died way too young.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/04 at 7:36 pm

Couldn't agree with you more. She died way too young.

Ferris,It seems like singers these days pass away way too young. :\'(

Howard

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 09/02/04 at 8:14 pm

RIP Laura

I don't think Entertainment Tonight or any other entertainment show even mentioned this. It's sad if you don't have a hit song or tv show or movie out at the moment they ignore you when you die.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/04 at 8:20 pm

RIP Laura

I don't think Entertainment Tonight or any other entertainment show even mentioned this. It's sad if you don't have a hit song or tv show or movie out at the moment they ignore you when you die.

It's like they pretend you're nothing. >:(

Howard

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/03/04 at 11:46 am

RIP Laura

Same thing when Layne Staley from Alice In Chains died.  It happened to be just about the same time Left Eye from TLC died, and guess who got all the attention.  The airwaves were jammed with stuff about Left Eye, all day tributes and all.  I never saw one mention of Layne Staley.  Yet both singers had a tremendous fan base.

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/04/04 at 4:57 pm

Not to cast aspersions, wagonman, but there may be other factors affecting degree of coverage. Age might play a part, name recognition(did he do anything outside the band?), cause of death, family's wishes, and maybe even the number of questions the news can(or can't!) answer. Left Eye died pretty senselessly in a car accident, but the AIC guy died mysteriously, despite his long involvment with drugs. I'm not condoning it, but perhaps sometimes that's the way the news works.

Your Pal,
Doc

Check for new replies or respond here...