inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It really bothers me

Written By: Sammigirly22 on 08/29/04 at 1:25 pm

that I wasn't born in the 80s.  I really feel like I missed out on a ton of wonderful stuff.  I wish I could of been there to experience REAL MTV, and Strawberry Shortcake and Cyndi Lauper and Family Ties and all this wonderful great 80's stuff.  I was born 1988, if I only I was born 10 years earlier.  :(

Subject: Re: It really bothers me

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/29/04 at 1:55 pm

You were born in the 1980s, unfortunately, you weren't a child or teenager in the 80s. The 80s were a great time to be a kid or teen, I offer my condolences!  :\'(

Hopefully, something good will come of the 00s for you!

Tanya

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/04 at 2:16 pm

that I wasn't born in the 80s.  I really feel like I missed out on a ton of wonderful stuff.  I wish I could of been there to experience REAL MTV, and Strawberry Shortcake and Cyndi Lauper and Family Ties and all this wonderful great 80's stuff.  I was born 1988, if I only I was born 10 years earlier.   :(

I actually understand this because I always felt that I was born 5 years later than I should have. It really bothered me when I was younger but now...well, let's just say that I would be 5 years older.  ;)

Cat

Written By: bbigd04 on 08/29/04 at 7:02 pm

You were born in the 1980s, unfortunately, you weren't a child or teenager in the 80s. The 80s were a great time to be a kid or teen, I offer my condolences!  :\'(

Hopefully, something good will come of the 00s for you!

Tanya

I was born 1987, and I love the 90s. I think it was a great time to be a kid. I always tell my younger cousins how great the 90s were.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 7:24 pm

See,I was born in 1974 and I didn't really experience anything till 1984 or somewhat earlier but that's quite alright with me.  :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 08/30/04 at 8:21 pm

See,I was born in 1974 and I didn't really experience anything till 1984 or somewhat earlier but that's quite alright with me.  :)

I was born in 1979 and remember 1982/3 as my earliest years. It was a wonderful time but I suppose you have to live in the real world and not in a state of mind.

Written By: MooRocca on 08/30/04 at 8:48 pm

that I wasn't born in the 80s.  I really feel like I missed out on a ton of wonderful stuff.  I wish I could of been there to experience REAL MTV, and Strawberry Shortcake and Cyndi Lauper and Family Ties and all this wonderful great 80's stuff.  I was born 1988, if I only I was born 10 years earlier.   :(

The times (whether past or current) are what you make of them.  It's great that you enjoy so much of what came out of the 80s and you're right, a lot of good stuff came out of that era.  Just don't get so caught up in longing for decades past that you miss out on discovering, relishing and savoring just how great it can be to be a teen now.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/04 at 1:36 am

I was born in 1969, and my elders who remember "the sixties" STILL act like they're one up on those of us who don't!  You know, it ALL happened in "the sixties," Vietnam, the Kennedy assinations, Dr. Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights movement, Malcolm X and the Black Power movement, the hippie movement, sending astronauts into space, Woodstock, "women's lib," the "sexual revolution," and so and so on.  My parents' generation got from my grandparents' generation, "you darn kids don't appreciate nothin,' you didn't live through the Great Depression, you don't remember the sacrifices we made during the War..."
Every generation gets told they missed great and important events...AND THEY DID!  Someday you'll be telling people born this year about 9/11 and so forth.

Written By: Bobby on 08/31/04 at 5:12 am

I was born in 1969, and my elders who remember "the sixties" STILL act like they're one up on those of us who don't!  You know, it ALL happened in "the sixties," Vietnam, the Kennedy assinations, Dr. Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights movement, Malcolm X and the Black Power movement, the hippie movement, sending astronauts into space, Woodstock, "women's lib," the "sexual revolution," and so and so on.  My parents' generation got from my grandparents' generation, "you darn kids don't appreciate nothin,' you didn't live through the Great Depression, you don't remember the sacrifices we made during the War..."
Every generation gets told they missed great and important events...AND THEY DID!  Someday you'll be telling people born this year about 9/11 and so forth.

A very important post, well done Maxwell.  :)

Written By: kori anna on 08/31/04 at 12:47 pm

ya i was born in 89 i no how u feel but im a big 80's fan i luv all the old school stuff. all the new remakes of 80's toys dont compare! but i did get lucky because my cousin was a kid in the 80's so i got all her cool 80's toys when she didnt want them!

Written By: kori anna on 08/31/04 at 1:12 pm

hey samigirly gimme an email at milkywey_07@hotmail.com i no just how u feel and i can share some 80's info i picked up ova time ;) :)

Written By: Marian on 08/31/04 at 1:54 pm

I actually understand this because I always felt that I was born 5 years later than I should have. It really bothered me when I was younger but now...well, let's just say that I would be 5 years older.  ;)

Cat :( :(Me too.I was born in 1965,so I didn't get to experience the 50s firsthand,and witness the birth of rock and roll.I never really got into that 70s stuff1Cheers1
:(

Written By: Howard on 08/31/04 at 3:27 pm

The times (whether past or current) are what you make of them.  It's great that you enjoy so much of what came out of the 80s and you're right, a lot of good stuff came out of that era.  Just don't get so caught up in longing for decades past that you miss out on discovering, relishing and savoring just how great it can be to be a teen now.   :)

That's good advice MooRocca. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/31/04 at 3:29 pm

I wish I was born 10 years earlier so I wish I could have experienced the Disco era.I would've been 15 years old in 1979. :)

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/04 at 7:29 pm

I wish I was born 10 years earlier so I wish I could have experienced the Disco era.I would've been 15 years old in 1979. :)

Howard

I dunno, Howard, Disco ?  I wasn't old enough to partake in the lifestyle in any capacity, but the fashions and the music were pretty fatuous...although no more fatuous than the Britney Spears and low rider jeans stuff of today.
The rallying cry "Disco Sucks!" didn't just come out of nowhere.  Disco REALLY DID suck!  The Disco grooves that had staying power, Bee-Gees, Chic, Donna Summer, were the cream of the crop, the best.  Most of it was utter swill.
However, I add to "Disco Sucks!," "So does Ted Nugent and Boston!"  The band Boston, that is.
:P

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 8:32 pm

I dunno, Howard, Disco ?  I wasn't old enough to partake in the lifestyle in any capacity, but the fashions and the music were pretty fatuous...although no more fatuous than the Britney Spears and low rider jeans stuff of today.
The rallying cry "Disco Sucks!" didn't just come out of nowhere.  Disco REALLY DID suck!  The Disco grooves that had staying power, Bee-Gees, Chic, Donna Summer, were the cream of the crop, the best.  Most of it was utter swill.
However, I add to "Disco Sucks!," "So does Ted Nugent and Boston!"  The band Boston, that is.

Here here!!! I was born in 1972, but I wish I was born in the early-mid 60's so I could have been old enough to appreciate punk rock in its heyday! I also would be old enough to have heard and appreciate (and maybe even have seen!) my favourite artists when they were around or at their best! ;D

By the way, Max, you know what they say about the 60's... "If you remember them, you weren't there!" ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 8:21 pm

I was born IN 1974.The year that disco and funk came together but I experienced the 80's when I was about 10 or 11 years old. :)

Howard

Written By: Marian on 09/01/04 at 8:57 pm

I was born IN 1974.The year that disco and funk came together but I experienced the 80's when I was about 10 or 11 years old. :)

Howard
;D ;D ;D ;DSo there's probably pictures of you as a baby or toddler wearing polyester bell bottoms,widelapels,and a truckin t-shirt somewhere!Cheers! :P

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 9:10 pm

;D ;D ;D ;DSo there's probably pictures of you as a baby or toddler wearing polyester bell bottoms,widelapels,and a truckin t-shirt somewhere!Cheers! :P

I always wore those baby suspenders when I was a toddler in 1977.

Howard

Written By: krysia on 09/08/04 at 9:35 am

Actually, I was born in 1978 (ten years earlier than you), and I still feel like I missed out - too young to appreciate the 80s fully.  I wish that I had been born 10 years earlier, myself! From what I did experience, I remember it as a great time!!  ;D

Written By: bj26 on 09/08/04 at 11:02 am

that I wasn't born in the 80s.  I really feel like I missed out on a ton of wonderful stuff....

Maybe you'll make it to the 2080s ;)

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 09/08/04 at 5:21 pm

I was born in 1980 and I wish I was older so I could have experienced more.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 6:59 pm

Maybe you'll make it to the 2080s ;)

By the time 2080 rolls around I'll be 106 years old. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 7:14 pm

I was born in 1980 and I wish I was older so I could have experienced more.

I was born in 1974 and I also wish I could've experienced more but hey I was born so I can't do anything about it. :(

Howard

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/09/04 at 10:04 pm

I was born in 1973 and I have a fondness for the 80's because that's when I was a kid and teenager.  My memories are strongest from about 1979 and up.  Strawberry shortcake was pretty cool, I never actually had one or any of her possee of friends but my childhood friend across the sreet did, an only child that had a killer playroom, wardrobe the works.  I loved the raspberry doll best, with her lavender hair and the yellow one too.  I just didn't go for the peach one, and to this day I still loathe peach anything, except real fresh peaches and canned too, no peach pie or peach iced tea or you get the gist.

And although I dig disco music myself and dance fever looks like some pretty good times, I def. con't wish i were born any earlier, I'm having a hard enough time of moving into my 30's as it is.

Check for new replies or respond here...