inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help me remember this toy!!! Please

Written By: christina on 08/31/04 at 10:22 pm

Ok, I remember the commercial from this toy when i was little but no one else seems to "Melvin's ookie uddie cause he wants to be your buddy, all he wants to do is eat worms." The toy was a bird that you had to feed worms to. If anyone remembers what this game was specifically called or has any other information please let me know...so people wont think i am making it up! thanks a bunch.

Subject: Re: Help me remember this toy!!! Please

Written By: JoeDeertay on 09/01/04 at 6:22 am

sounds like Melvin, the looney gooney bird game.
Check it out here just scroll down thru the "M"s to Melvin.

http://tinyurl.com/iq1f

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: Christina on 09/01/04 at 3:52 pm

Thanks so much!! That's it!!

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 8:12 pm

It needs to be supported in PDF file. mine doesn't have that. ???

Howard

Written By: Jon V. on 09/19/06 at 10:12 pm

I certainly remembered the game called MELVIN THE LOONEY GOONEY BIRD, a game made by Milton Bradley since 1989, but for me, I remembered to see it upfront since 1991. The object of the game was to pick up an assorted color of worms with the stick that matched the color. The colors were Red, Green, Blue, & Yellow. You were to only pick up the worms by using your stick & not your fingers, even with the stick in your hand. The object was to get all the worms of your own color in Melvin's mouth first. I remembered the commercial as well, since it started out as an egg(hence the idea for the ad). It started with a cartoon clip of an egg being hatched, and out came Melvin, which gives the term "Born to eat worms" something to think about. I've always wanted the Looney Gooney Bird since I've seen him, and note...I was 5 in 1991, since the commercial was laid out in 1989, and I had no memory about that commercial until the 1990s, so you get what I'm sayin', right. Melvin was such a cute little bird with an appetite for earthworms, I'm not surprised that he hadn't got a line of other merchandise. Like video games being made into series, Melvin should have been made into a cartoon phenomenon, like the late-1980s version of PoKeMoN, except it's with something a little different. It's now 2006, and I'm surprised that Hot Topic doesn't have a clothing line for him, let alone a costume that is made for the Looney Gooney Bird in all of us. I LOVE MELVIN ALOT. And he's been a good game for me. I'd give him an infinity amount of stars, since he's the only bird who could look and act by the title of his name, LOONEY GOONEY. And to Christina who had posted that message from back on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 @ 10:22:10PM, you question is finally answered, and you rock;) MELVIN 4EVER:)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/17/11 at 11:20 pm

I don't think we have any threads that have gone 7 years, folks, but this'll do.  

The original poster got the lyrics a bit wrong, but it was good enough for someone else to solve the problem, and the Internet fills in all gaps.

(no audio)looniest gooniest bird was born! His name?  ("MELVIN!")

Melvin's goofy nutty, and he wants to be your buddy,
And all he wants to do is eat worms!
Melvin bops up and down, Melvin dances all around,
For those wiggly, jiggly little worms!

Melvin!  It's a wacky kind of race!
Melvin!  It's a race to feed his face!

("Five worms! I win!", "Melvin, we love you!")

Melvin, the loony goony bird game from Milton Bradley.

gIQcVderfew

For you hardware freaks out there, can anyone remember if the distortion in the first couple of seconds of the videotape-to-digital transfer is characteristic of VHS or Betamax?

And for anyone who remembers Melvin, the first few words in the commercial weren't recorded in the Youtube sample.  So we're still not done.  Does anyone remember the first lines of the commercial, before the animated Melvin hatches out of his egg?

Written By: Megan on 09/02/11 at 6:15 pm

http://youtu.be/ehIBVuPBwVw?t=4m52s

The Melvin commerical, in full, is on this video from 4:52-5:22.

The beginning of the commerical is as follows...."Once upon a time, the looniest, gooniest bird was born. His name? MELVIN!"

Check for new replies or respond here...