inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: cult classic movies of the 80's

Written By: printer on 08/31/04 at 11:04 pm

what was you favorite cult movie of the 80s the best cult movies for me would be uhf and labyrinth

Subject: Re: cult classic movies of the 80's

Written By: woops on 09/01/04 at 1:02 am

"License To Drive", "UHF", "True Stories", and "One of the Boys"

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/01/04 at 8:07 am

Labryinth definitely. Also, Heathers!  :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/01/04 at 9:17 am

adventures of buckaroo banzai
big trouble in little china
red dawn
evil dead 1 and 2
dark crystal
neverending story
the keep
raising arizona
blood simple

Written By: JoeDeertay on 09/01/04 at 9:18 am

Labryinth definitely. Also, Heathers!  :)

Labrynth is one of my all time favorites!

Star Wars V & VI
Gremlins
Conan
Better of Dead
Repo Man
The Blues Brothers
The Breakfast Club
The Outsiders
Porkys
Dirty Dancing
Fast Times at Ridgmont Hight

I could go on cause the 80's RULED!!!

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: JoeDeertay on 09/01/04 at 9:20 am

adventures of buckaroo banzai
big trouble in little china
red dawn
evil dead 1 and 2
dark crystal
neverending story
the keep
raising arizona
blood simple

Oh man! how could I possably have forgotten Rasing Arizona or Evil Dead!?!

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/01/04 at 9:46 am

J.Dirt 8)
Amen!  :D

Written By: JoeDeertay on 09/01/04 at 5:59 pm

Star Wars V & VI
Gremlins
Conan
Better of Dead
Repo Man
The Blues Brothers
The Breakfast Club
The Outsiders
Porkys
Dirty Dancing

J.Dirt 8)

just remembered... Rad! that was a good'n and I have looked all over trying to find this movie >:(

i cain't find it noware :\'(

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/04 at 6:56 pm

just remembered... Rad! that was a good'n and I have looked all over trying to find this movie >:(

i cain't find it noware :\'(

J.Dirt 8)

Amazon has a few used VHS copies of it. It is not yet out on DVD but you can pre-order it on Amazon.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 6:59 pm

UHF with Wierd Al Yankovic was a cult film? I never knew that. ???

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/01/04 at 7:29 pm

Star Wars V & VI
Gremlins
Conan
Better of Dead
Repo Man
The Blues Brothers
The Breakfast Club
The Outsiders
Porkys
Dirty Dancing

J.Dirt 8)

These are not cult movies. Cult movies are defined as  have limited but very special appeal. Cult films are usually strange, quirky, offbeat, eccentric, oddball, or surreal, with outrageous, weird, unique and cartoony characters or plots, and garish sets. They are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions. Most cult films cut across many film genres (science fiction, horror, melodrama, etc.), although they can be very stylized, and they are often flawed or unusual in some striking way.

Many cult films feature or effectively showcase the performance of newcomers or other unknown talented actors/actresses. These often-obscure and cheesy films are usually made by maverick, highly individualistic film-makers with low-budget resources and little commercial marketing. And cult films are rarely, if ever, sequels, since then they would have attained mainstream appeal and widespread success.

Many cult films fared poorly at the box office when first shown, but then achieved cult-film status, developing an enduring loyalty and following among fans over time, often through word-of-mouth recommendations. Sometimes, they were revolutionary, brilliant films 'before their time' (i.e., Fantasia (1940)) and not bound by the conventions of their day.

They elicit a fiery and intense passion in devoted fans, and may cause cultists to enthusiastically champion and become devoted to these films, leading to audience participation, fan club membership, and repetitive viewings and showings. Cult films have tremendous followings with certain groups, e.g., college campuses, 'midnight movie' crowds, independent film lovers, etc. Cult movie worshippers persuasively argue with all about the merits of their choices, without regard for standard newspaper or movie reviews from critics.

Thus, these films are not cult b/c too many people have seen them, too many famous people are in them, and if you have a movie with merchandising (hello, Gremlins), you can forget the term "Cult".

Now, these are my fave cult films of the 80s: Heathers, Labyrinth, The Hotel New Hampshire, and everything John Waters.

Tanya

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/01/04 at 7:43 pm

repo man! i just watched that movie last weekend. that must be an all-time classic cult film.

Written By: moonbaby345 on 09/02/04 at 12:42 am

The Lost Boys
Gremlins

Written By: JoeDeertay on 09/02/04 at 6:49 am

These are not cult movies. Cult movies are defined as  have limited but very special appeal. Cult films are usually strange, quirky, offbeat, eccentric, oddball, or surreal, with outrageous, weird, unique and cartoony characters or plots, and garish sets. They are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions. Most cult films cut across many film genres (science fiction, horror, melodrama, etc.), although they can be very stylized, and they are often flawed or unusual in some striking way.

Many cult films feature or effectively showcase the performance of newcomers or other unknown talented actors/actresses. These often-obscure and cheesy films are usually made by maverick, highly individualistic film-makers with low-budget resources and little commercial marketing. And cult films are rarely, if ever, sequels, since then they would have attained mainstream appeal and widespread success.

Many cult films fared poorly at the box office when first shown, but then achieved cult-film status, developing an enduring loyalty and following among fans over time, often through word-of-mouth recommendations. Sometimes, they were revolutionary, brilliant films 'before their time' (i.e., Fantasia (1940)) and not bound by the conventions of their day.

They elicit a fiery and intense passion in devoted fans, and may cause cultists to enthusiastically champion and become devoted to these films, leading to audience participation, fan club membership, and repetitive viewings and showings. Cult films have tremendous followings with certain groups, e.g., college campuses, 'midnight movie' crowds, independent film lovers, etc. Cult movie worshippers persuasively argue with all about the merits of their choices, without regard for standard newspaper or movie reviews from critics.

Thus, these films are not cult b/c too many people have seen them, too many famous people are in them, and if you have a movie with merchandising (hello, Gremlins), you can forget the term "Cult".

Now, these are my fave cult films of the 80s: Heathers, Labyrinth, The Hotel New Hampshire, and everything John Waters.

Tanya

But... a cult film is also be defined as:
" a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion" (taken from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, not somebody's web site) ::) in which case the previously mentioned movies would be considered cult movies.

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/04 at 7:53 am

But... a cult film is also be defined as:
" a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion" (taken from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, not somebody's web site) ::) in which case the previously mentioned movies would be considered cult movies.

J.Dirt 8)

That's the definition of a cult, certainly, but I think in this case, Tanya is correct. A "cult" film is generally one that appeals to only a small audience outside the general mainstream movie audience, thereby attracting a "cult" following. :)  Sure, there are larger mainstream films like Star Wars that have followings that could also be considered cults, but it wasn't designed as a cult film. Plus, Star Wars was released in 1977, so it isn't an 80s film. :)

Written By: JoeDeertay on 09/02/04 at 9:24 am

That's the definition of a cult, certainly, but I think in this case, Tanya is correct. A "cult" film is generally one that appeals to only a small audience outside the general mainstream movie audience, thereby attracting a "cult" following. :)  Sure, there are larger mainstream films like Star Wars that have followings that could also be considered cults, but it wasn't designed as a cult film. Plus, Star Wars was released in 1977, so it isn't an 80s film. :)

I guess it's all in perception and what the general discussion is at the time. :)
Sorry for the cornfusion... :-[

BTW - Star Wars Episode IV was 1977. Episode V and VI were 1980 and 1983  ;)

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: Niko101 on 09/10/04 at 8:17 am

Suburbia (1984)
Thrashin
Gleaming The Cube
Now, mind you that the 2nd and 3rd choices are solely based on my 15 year-long crush on Tony Hawk! :-*
I remember when Gleaming The Cube was playing at the $1 theater my sister's friend Richard worked at. He waved me through for free every time I went to see that flick...which was alot. Christian Slater & Tony Hawk made a happy little skater girl!

Written By: woops on 10/10/04 at 10:22 pm

I'll also mention "The Legend of Billie Jean", "Krush Groove",  "The Concrete Jungle", & "Chained Heat".  8)

Written By: Berg Katse on 10/18/04 at 8:58 am

I'll chuck Blade Runner into the mix..... that's another that blurs the edges for a 'cult' film.... From my point of view this wasn't very successful when it was released, but found favour amongst a niche group of fans - making it a cult film.  However, throughout the generations, of film school students for example, I would say this is a much more broadly popular film now - and is lead by a huge A-List actor in Harrison Ford. Throw in Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, and Daryl Hannah, who are more than small-time actors, and out of any context it could be thought of as a bit of a mainstream Hollywood Blockbuster???

Sorry Tanya1976, I would say the Repo man is as much of a cult film as Hotel New Hampshire... How many 'stars' is too many? Hotel New Hampshire has Rob Lowe, Joely Richardson, Jodie Foster, Beau Bridges, Nastassja Kinski.... and that guy from ER. After Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez i'm struggling for the Repo Man.... but I'm sure anyone out there can pick out the others from this film who have 'made it'.

Sorry to use your examples Tanya1976... but you were the brave one who got the debate started... and i like all the films you mentioned... nice one...  ;)
Feel free to pick me up on stuff.

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/24/04 at 11:05 pm

Definitely the following:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension

and

The Wizard of Speed and Time

Written By: Alice on 11/25/04 at 7:34 am

Here's yet another definition of Cult Movies:

A cult film is a movie that attracts a small but devoted group of obsessive fans or one that has remained popular over successive years amongst a small group of followers. Often the film failed to achieve mainstream success on its original release, but this is not always the case. Sometimes the audience response to a cult film is somewhat different to what was intended by the filmmakers, although usually a film that becomes "cult" started out with unusual elements or subject matter.

A film reaches cult status due to an audience's relationship to the film. This makes the designation of cult status to a film difficult, however continued success amongst a subset of moviegoers many years after the film's original release is a key defining factor. A hint of cult status is a sequence of midnight showings over a period of many weeks.

In most cases, these films tend to enjoy long runs on video, thus being issued in more video "runs" with more copies than other movies. Also, they are more likely to be the films that will be issued on any newer video technology in the technology's early days on the market. If allowable, these films may also enjoy more repeat screenings on cable, pay-per-view or network TV channels.

Many cult films are from such genres as horror, science fiction and world cinema. The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which combines the elements of science fiction, horror—not to mention transvestitism, incest and homosexuality—and, amazingly, is a musical, is considered by many the first true and seminal cult film.

The construction of meaning within the cult film text, the nature and epistemology of cult film and its audiences is now studied academically.

An instance of how cults differ between societies include the elevation of the British comedy film actor Norman Wisdom into a cult icon in Albania during the years of Communism under Enver Hoxha, at a time when his family-friendly style almost certainly ensured that 'cult' would be the last term on earth to be applied to him in the West. Curiously he and his films are now acquiring nostalgic cult status in Britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_movies

Written By: Alice on 11/25/04 at 7:39 am

Suburbia
and
Evil Dead 1 & 2

are some of my favourites.

Written By: jayblaq on 11/25/04 at 8:01 am

repo man for sure

Written By: Mangoo on 11/25/04 at 8:03 am

Toxic Avenger that movie was hilarious.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/25/04 at 9:51 am

Mine are:

Red Dawn
Gremlins
UHF
This Is Spinal Tap
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Labyrinth
The Lost Boys
The Dark Crystal
Repo Man
The Blues Brothers
The Breakfast Club
The Last Starfighter
An American Tail
The Secret of NIMH
Dreamscape
Adventures of  Buckaroo Banzai
Big Trouble In Little China
Raising Arizona
The Neverending Story

Wheeew!!!!!!  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/04 at 11:04 am

I forgot about Near Dark and The Wraith.

Written By: roboqueen on 11/27/04 at 12:24 am

ALL OF THEM !!!!!

I love them all!  I can't get enough of them!

I watch them all over & over, all the time.

Even the absolutely horrible ones like "Killer Clowns From Outer Space".

My most worn out ones are:
Labrinth
Rocky Horror
Blade Runner
Wizards
Heavy Metal

Written By: roboqueen on 11/27/04 at 12:30 am

OH !!!

I forgot Spinal Tap & Dark Crystal.

I listened to the soundtrack of "the Lost Boys" so many times over the years that the tape finally broke.
Now I gotta try to find it on the net. Cause no one has it, at least not here in my state.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/04 at 12:47 am

Also on my list The Dead Zone, Strange Brew, and Legend.

Written By: Davester on 11/27/04 at 2:27 am

ALL OF THEM !!!!!

I love them all!  I can't get enough of them!

I watch them all over & over, all the time.

Even the absolutely horrible ones like "Killer Clowns From Outer Space".

My most worn out ones are:
Labrinth
Rocky Horror
Blade Runner
Wizards
Heavy Metal

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the definition of a "cult classic", but it's not from the 80's.  1975.

Little Shop of Horrors wouild be the 80's version of Rocky Horror...

I'd add The Road Warrior (Mad Max II, as it is known Down Under...)  to the list of 80's cult classics, like it's predecessor Mad Max in the 70's

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/04 at 10:41 am

The Road Warrior is also my list, it's alot better than Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

Written By: Davester on 11/27/04 at 1:45 pm

The Road Warrior is also my list, it's alot better than Mad Max: Betond Thunderdome.

Yeah, I think so, too.  MMBTD is so far removed from the other two as to not even be part of the series.  I mean, hell, it almost seemed like a comedy, at times...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/04 at 3:01 pm

Strange Brew.  :D (Take off, eh, you hoser  ;))

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/04 at 4:05 pm

Strange Brew.  :D (Take off, eh, you hoser  ;))

Cat

Good call!!!!!!!!!!

"I was the last one left after the nuclear holocaust, eh. The whole world had been destroyed, like U.S. blew up Russia and Russia blew up U.S. Fortunately, I had been offworld at the time. There wasn't much to do. All the bowling alleys had been wrecked. So's I spent most of my time looking for beer. "

One of my favorite scenes from the film!  ;D

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/28/04 at 10:14 pm

How about Time Bandits and Flash Gordon?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/04 at 10:43 pm

How about Time Bandits and Flash Gordon?

Like Time Bandits, Hate Flash Gordon..... too cheesy even for me!

Love the theme song by Queen though!!!!

Flash - Ah - Saviour of the universe
Flash - Ah - He'll save ev'ry one of us

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/04 at 1:39 pm

Like Time Bandits, Hate Flash Gordon..... too cheesy even for me!

Love the theme song by Queen though!!!!

Flash - Ah - Saviour of the universe
Flash - Ah - He'll save ev'ry one of us

"Flash, Flash I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth."  ;) :D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/04 at 2:00 pm

"Flash, Flash I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth."  ;) :D

Cat

LOL!!!!!!!! Now that is a cheesy song!!!!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/04 at 2:06 pm

Also on my list..... CRITTERS!

http://www.hillcity-comics.com/movie_reviews/movie409.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:34 am

What about Robocop?

http://www.mgm.com/mgm/images/posterart-other/ROBOCOP-03SP1-poster_hires.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/04 at 12:50 pm

What about Robocop?

http://www.mgm.com/mgm/images/posterart-other/ROBOCOP-03SP1-poster_hires.jpg

What about it?  ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist  ;D)

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 4:36 pm

What about it?  ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist  ;D)

Cat

It's one of my favorite films!  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 6:25 pm

It's not one of my favorites, but it is a weird film...  ::)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092115/

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009PY4I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/30/04 at 10:14 pm

It's not one of my favorites, but it is a weird film...  ::)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092115/

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009PY4I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The "original" Harry Potter.  ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:55 pm

The "original" Harry Potter.  ;)

The singing monsters creeped me out!  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 12:10 am

Speaking of a creepy cult 80's movie that I like...

http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/91/149191.jpg

Written By: sputnikcorp on 12/01/04 at 8:09 am

i watched the wall last weekend for like the 300th time.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 11:20 pm

What about Silent Night, Deadly Night? It's not one of my favorites, but it's an interesting film none the less.

http://www.alyon.org/generale/theatre/cinema/affiches_cinema/s/seu-smo/silent_night_deadly_night.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/04 at 1:26 pm

Speaking of a creepy cult 80's movie that I like...

http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/91/149191.jpg

Ah yes, The Wall. Great flick. I have two versions of it-the orginal and the "Live at the Berlin Wall" with an "all-star" cast. Great concert. Bryan Adams, Cyndi Lauper, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Sinead O'Connor, the Scorpions, Thomas Dolby , The Band, just to name a few who were involved in this.

Cat

Written By: _adam_ on 12/04/04 at 5:30 pm

By me:
Blade runner
War games
Ghostbusters
Spinal tap
Revenge of nerds
Terminator
Ferris Bueller
Top gun
Platoon
Dirty dancing
Robocop
Rain man
Abbys

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 5:31 pm

I like War Games and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I also like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Throw Momma From The Train, Spaceballs, Spies Like Us, Ruthless People, and The Three Amigos. 

Written By: triciamarie1972 on 12/05/04 at 5:31 pm

I love so many 80s movies!

Heathers
Fast Times at Ridgemount High
Last American Virgin
Breakfast Club
Can't Buy me love
The Heavenly Kid
Cocktail
Sixteen Candles
Goonies
weird science
mermaids ( oh that was 1990 or 91 )
i could go on and on !!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 5:35 pm

Goonies, Weird Science, and Sixteen Candles are some of my favorites, I also like Young Sherlock Holmes.

Written By: triciamarie1972 on 12/05/04 at 5:36 pm

I forgot Ferris Bueller!!! thats one of my favorites and The Lost Boys

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 5:42 pm

I also like The Serpent and The Rainbow and They Live.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum!" One of my favorite quotes from a film!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 10:03 pm

I also forgot to mention Escape From New York and Street of Fire.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 10:15 pm

But the most weirdest film of the 80's would have to be...

Ice Pirates!  :D  ;D

Written By: Lord Dark Helmet on 12/07/04 at 3:08 am

You cannot forget about Indiana Jones.

I made my mom by me a bull whip after seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark. I never felt so cool!

Even with all the whip marks on my face ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/07 at 8:46 pm

Streets of Fire takes top prize for me.  Still love it!

Also liked ...

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Young Sherlock Holmes
The Goonies

Written By: Kaliki on 06/28/08 at 3:09 pm

what was you favorite cult movie of the 80s the best cult movies for me would be uhf and labyrinth

totally forgetting

Killer Klowns from outerspace and howard the duck

Written By: Atari on 06/28/08 at 9:26 pm

Android
Joysticks
Tron
Midnight Madness (MJ Fox's first movie)
Hamburger U (a ka Hamburger: The Motion Picture)
Blade Runner
North Shore

and from the 70s- Logan's Run and Soylent Green

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/29/08 at 10:59 pm

You cannot forget about Indiana Jones.

I made my mom by me a bull whip after seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark. I never felt so cool!

Even with all the whip marks on my face ;D
............................  what a great movie trio!  but not quite a "cult  classic"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/08 at 1:17 am

............................   what a great movie trio!   but not quite a "cult  classic"

There are, however, nerds who are cultish about Spielberg.  They'll watch "Duel" over and over again!

I highly recommend the original (1985) "Toxic Avanger."

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/30/08 at 10:14 am

There are, however, nerds who are cultish about Spielberg.  They'll watch "Duel" over and over again!

...............  i would consider duel as a cult classic!...  most cult classic movies didnt do very well when they opened,  movies like farhenheit 451, night of the living dead, christine, monty pythons holy grail are just some that i consider cult classics, oh and the #1 cult classic????  of course its gotta be "rocky horror"

Written By: cinnabon on 06/30/08 at 7:56 pm

Better Off Dead (featuring John Cusack)
Valley Girl (first starring film for Nicholas Cage, though he had a bit part in Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
Earth Girls are Easy (with a then lesser-known Jim Carrey in a supporting role)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/30/08 at 9:18 pm

Karma for TROMA!

Troma Films made some of the best B-movies ever.  Surf Nazis Must Die, Class Of Nuke 'Em High were staples late-80s cult movie nights between my friends.  We got together a few years afterwards to see Tromeo and Juliet, which had considerable fan input from the Intarwebs, and Troma did it more than a decade before Snakes on a Plane made the idea to the mainstream.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/08 at 10:58 pm

Karma for TROMA!

Troma Films made some of the best B-movies ever.  Surf Nazis Must Die, Class Of Nuke 'Em High were staples late-80s cult movie nights between my friends.  We got together a few years afterwards to see Tromeo and Juliet, which had considerable fan input from the Intarwebs, and Troma did it more than a decade before Snakes on a Plane made the idea to the mainstream.

Hey, thanks!
;)

Further recommendation is any movie with the word "Cannibal" in the title, including "All The Fine Young Cannibals."  There a couple of these, whatchamecallit, junglesploitation pictures in particular: "Cannibal Ferox" and "Cannibal Holocaust."  They're a riot!  The Italians were into this theme for a while.  I think "Cannibal Holocaust" was the one that got the director in front of the magistrate to explain the possible murder of his actors.  Whatever those people were smoking to make them think somebody was getting killed on camera, I want in!  If you're squeamish about turtle guts on the other hand...
8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/08 at 11:02 pm

Wow, I can't believe no one mentioned Rock 'N Roll High School...it is my absolute favorite cult classic!  Even though it came out in 1979...it definitely has an early 80's feel to it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/08 at 8:52 pm

Wow, I can't believe no one mentioned Rock 'N Roll High School...it is my absolute favorite cult classic!  Even though it came out in 1979...it definitely has an early 80's feel to it!

Well, it's aged better than "Kiss Meets the Phantom" or whatever!
:D

Bottom line on RNRH:  The Ramones were totally cool, the movie was toldy cheesy, but that didn't stop the Ramones from being totally cool in it! 

Something like that.

Only if you do not hold The Beatles sacrosanct...and a lot of folks do...can you appreciate the Walley World homage to the Fab Four: "Sgt. Peppers's Lonely Hearts Club Band--The Movie"  Now, technically that came out in 1978 to rock-bottom critical reception, but some signficant curiosity.  We went to see it with my mom!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/life.gif
Pure Hollywood squalor: George Burns as Sgt. Pepper, Peter Frampton as Billy Shears, Sandy Farina as Strawberry Fields, The BeeGees as the Hendersons...well, you get the general idea!
In the '80s with the advent of every movie available on VHS, it got to be a cult movie.  Same thing with Rep Man!
I mean the main problem with the movie was not the writer, it's the arranger, the conductor, and the performers...perhaps the librettist needs to take a little blame!
8)

Pre-MTV music video.  Aerosmith as the Future Villain Band!

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/02/08 at 1:52 pm

The Hollywood Knights is my favorite.

Last American Virgin comes in a close second.

Written By: NoPosers on 07/04/08 at 2:27 am

No mention of "Brazil"? Whats wrong with you people?  ::) ;)

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/04/08 at 10:19 am

...............    brazil??        um , isnt that a country somewhere?

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/08 at 2:41 pm

We liked the movie, what's wrong with us is that we never filled out form 27b/6, which would give us permission to say so.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/04/08 at 3:05 pm

The Outsiders

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/08 at 3:08 pm

...............    brazil??        um , isnt that a country somewhere?
Terry Gilliam!

One of his best films!

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/04/08 at 4:48 pm

We liked the movie, what's wrong with us is that we never filled out form 27b/6, which would give us permission to say so.
;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/08 at 4:52 pm

One of the greatest swashbucking pirate movies of the 80s:  Nate and Hayes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_and_Hayes

Written By: bee bee hornet on 07/07/08 at 12:50 am

Mel Gibson's "Mad Max" began as a cult film that gained such momentum it became mainstream. Another example would be "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (although I believe that's a 70s example). How about "A Boy and His Dog" with a very young, extremely gorgeous Don Johnson before anyone had ever laid eyes on him? dd

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/08 at 9:57 pm

Terry Gilliam!

One of his best films!

"Brazil" is a very strange and convoluted (in a good way) film.  More than even my favorite "Time Bandits," "Brazil" has its own following with its own scholars!

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/09/08 at 8:56 pm

i remember seeing a boy and his dog with mad max at a drive-in,  and yes i watched both movies!  lol! ;D

Written By: ralfy on 04/20/16 at 10:45 am

"I ♥ RETRO: BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA – 30TH ANNIVERSARY"

http://www.orpheum.com.au/wp-cinema/movie/OBIGTROUBLE/I+RETRO+BIG+TROUBLE+IN+LITTLE+CHINA+-+30TH+ANNIVERSARY/

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/16/16 at 7:01 pm

Monty Python's Meaning of Life.
Short Circut
Firestarter
Edward Scissorhands
Spaceballs

Written By: Starlighter on 05/24/16 at 7:30 pm

Monty Python's Meaning of Life.
Short Circut
Firestarter
Edward Scissorhands
Spaceballs

Short Circuit was pretty good and Spaceballs was hilarious.

Written By: ralfy on 08/17/16 at 12:43 pm

Related:

"The Outsiders author on 50th anniversary: 'I could never be that un-self-conscious again'"

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/17/se-hinton-outsiders-50th-anniversary

Check for new replies or respond here...