inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lil Abner boots

Written By: fburke on 09/04/04 at 4:18 pm

Somebody awhile ago was looking for Lil Abner boots.  I have looked for years and came across some made by JGEAR shoes and boots at website jgearusa.com under Thorogoode boots and they call them roofer boots.    http://www.jgearusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JSAB&Product_Code=633&Category_Code=MB.    I don't know how to link an address but there it is.  They are a little different because the toe is a dark brown and when we were kids they were much lighter and looked better but thats the closest I ever came to finding them.  Check it out and see.  If you find any better please post  FXB

Subject: Re: Lil Abner boots

Written By: Vanessa on 09/19/04 at 10:36 am

Hello! I've been searching for Lil Abner boots for my mom for the longest time and I've come across your post along the way. If you do find any more information on Lil Abner's please let me know. Thank you so much!

:)

Written By: johnnie on 09/10/08 at 11:24 pm

Somebody awhile ago was looking for Lil Abner boots.  I have looked for years and came across some made by JGEAR shoes and boots at website jgearusa.com under Thorogoode boots and they call them roofer boots.    http://www.jgearusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JSAB&Product_Code=633&Category_Code=MB.    I don't know how to link an address but there it is.  They are a little different because the toe is a dark brown and when we were kids they were much lighter and looked better but thats the closest I ever came to finding them.  Check it out and see.  If you find any better please post  FXB
:)hi these boots look good or better to me thanks i got some and feel good

Written By: Vinny on 11/29/08 at 9:24 pm

hi I read your reply about lil abners and buying them in sept 08 do you have the exact link the one that is shown does not work

Written By: DAYMOND HARDIN on 03/29/09 at 1:04 pm

THE FIRST LIL ABNER SHOES I EVER SAW WERE MADE IN THE MID FIFTIES, THEY WERE ABOUT 20 INCHES LONG & 8 INCHES WIDE.  THE SIZING WAS DONE ON THE INSIDE. THEY WERE MADE OF A COMPOSITE MATERIAL & WERE GREY , YOU PAINTED THEM WHATEVER COLOR YOU WANTED. I THINK THEY WERE SOLD BY FLAGG BROTHERS.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/29/09 at 3:04 pm

THE FIRST LIL ABNER SHOES I EVER SAW WERE MADE IN THE MID FIFTIES, THEY WERE ABOUT 20 INCHES LONG & 8 INCHES WIDE.  THE SIZING WAS DONE ON THE INSIDE. THEY WERE MADE OF A COMPOSITE MATERIAL & WERE GREY , YOU PAINTED THEM WHATEVER COLOR YOU WANTED. I THINK THEY WERE SOLD BY FLAGG BROTHERS.

Dude, you either forgot to undo the cap lock or you're shouting. :P

Written By: tonyp. on 06/05/09 at 3:58 pm

lil abner boots.had them many years ago in brooklyn n.y.look for thorogood boots #633.they call them roofer boots now but back in the day they were abners.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/09 at 4:00 pm

Can eBay help?

Written By: Sue on 06/18/09 at 10:49 pm

Somebody awhile ago was looking for Lil Abner boots.  I have looked for years and came across some made by JGEAR shoes and boots at website jgearusa.com under Thorogoode boots and they call them roofer boots.     http://www.jgearusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JSAB&Product_Code=633&Category_Code=MB.    I don't know how to link an address but there it is.  They are a little different because the toe is a dark brown and when we were kids they were much lighter and looked better but thats the closest I ever came to finding them.  Check it out and see.  If you find any better please post  FXB

This info is great.  In 2002 I was determined to find these boots (I wore them mostly every day back in high school) and received the following info:
"Yes, back in the early 80's we were owned by a shoe company called BATA out of Canada. You might want to try them."  This came from Weinbrenner Shoe Co.
Also:
"The Roofer style has to the best of my research never been manufactured in a women's size range or style.  There might be another style you are thinking about." 

Try:  Goldman Brothers, I believe in Hicksville, NY @ 516-931-0441 (this is where my trail ended since they only carried men's sizes starting at 6

Written By: Bo on 12/26/12 at 1:25 am

The so-called Abner boots by Thorogood (roofer boots #633) bear no resemblance to the boots worn by Lil' Abner in the comic strip.  The Thorogood boots laces go to about the bottom of the toe.  Abner boots have laces that begin at the instep, are ankle high, and have an exaggerated upward bulging toe box.  http://sjvceonews.blogspot.com/2011/05/firebaugh-could-be-ground-zero-for.html

I bought a pair of Abner boots in 1979.  That's exactly what they were called, and that's exactly what they looked like - manufactured by Levi Strauss.  Levi's made shoes and boots for a few years and then stopped.  I think I paid 25 dollars for them and I've worn them ever since.  The leather was incredibly thick, they have a Vibram sole, and the only thing I've had to do is replace the laces.  The laces only lasted 25 years before they started to go.

I'll probably get another 10 years out of these, but I'd sure like to find another pair. 

Check for new replies or respond here...