inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 20 year highschool reunion

Written By: RojoP on 09/04/04 at 10:51 pm

Man I feel old!!
I am sure that many of you that read and post here will be having their 20 year highschool reunion soon.  My 20 year will be coming up in just 2 years.  Time sure does fly by. 

I remember it just like it was yesterday - not a care in the world.  The biggest stress in my life back then was homework or what was I going to do for the weekend.  Things were so much easier back then.

Hell, my senior quote was "Try and enjoy the here and now, the future will take care of itself somehow" from Howard Jones.

Today I am married and have a wonderful 9 month baby girl - they both mean the world to me. 

Questions:

Have you attended or will you be attending?
Any funny stories from those that have gone?

Subject: Re: 20 year highschool reunion

Written By: Casey W on 09/05/04 at 7:33 am

I've never gone to any kind of reunion.  Never cared for visiting the past. 

But from what I hear, it seems that people still stay in their old cliques no matter how old they get.  In some ways this is understandable, you may want to hang around people you knew better back in the day or people more like you, but it's still fascinating that it is that way.  I've also heard that many people revert back to their kid attitudes when they are in a reunion.     

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/05/04 at 8:26 am

I just went to my 10 year high school reunion this summer and it was alot more fun than I thought.  I flew to Arizona for it.  I plan on going to my 20 year reunion too.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/05/04 at 9:09 am

The key here is go if you look good and are doing fine.  I went to mine and had a great
of a time.  One thing we noticed was that the women seemed to have aged better than
the men, but didn't realize it until they all got together. Old crushes seem so funny, and
people who you thought you didn't like turn out to be so much better than you thought
they were, people who you thought were so cool, are now just people.  Go! ;)
One more thing, be sure to call the teachers by there first names, that is a real kick.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/05/04 at 1:23 pm

This year was my 20th high school reunion.  Unfortunately, I couldn't attend because I live thousands of miles away now and it would have cost too much to go.  :(

Rojo...about the 'getting old' part, I definitely hear you!  I have now been married for almost 13 years and I have two wonderful kids.  It's hard to believe how time flies!

:) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/04 at 2:53 pm

I went to two different high schools. The one reunion I would have liked to gone to was the school I didn't graduate from. I found out about the 20th reunion on Classmates AFTER the fact. The school that I did graduate from had a 10 year reunion. I found the letter telling me about at my mothers-again AFTER it happened. I said something to her about not telling me about it. She said that I had once said that I didn't want to go but I told her that I could have changed my mind. She didn't give me that option to. Well, number 25 is coming up soon-don't know if they will have anything or if I will have to wait until 30. I now have my name on Classmates on both schools so maybe I will hear about the next one BEFORE the events and then I will decided whether to go or not.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/05/04 at 8:56 pm

I missed my 10 year because my fam moved and they didn't know where I was.  I was recently invited to my 15th but wasn't able to go.  I plan on going to the 20th in 5 years, though.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/05/04 at 9:54 pm

My 10 year reunion just passed last week! I didn't go b/c I live on the other side of the country now. Also, I don't think I'm ready to see that bunch just yet. I will go ten years from now, though.

Tanya

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/07/04 at 3:35 am

I went to I think the Ten or 15 Year reunion.  No idea why.  Friend talked me into it.

I hated highschool - well I hated THAT highschool - it was violent, the teachers feared most of the students so they didnt bother teaching those of us who wanted to learn.  There was serious bashings, bomb threats, and a teacher was killed.

We were constantly on the front page of the papers for all the wrong reasons. 

If I want to know what my class mates are up to these days I check the front page of the paper, the crime pages and the obits.

Worst three years off my life.

But to appease my friend I went with her.  It was two days before Xmas and I had been to a champange breakfast, followed by a champange lunch.  I was pretty smashed by the time she picked me up - I had also broken my ankle and not yet noticed !

Anyway - we dolled ourselves up in our regular nightclubbing clothes - walked in to discover it was "formal" !!

Way to make yourselves immediately noticable.

Headed for the bar.  Got sleazed onto by a guy who made some indecent proposals - finally my friend reminds me he was our English teacher ! ICK ICK ICK

Noticed enough missing faces to realise prison day release had not been agreed to for half the science class !

Discovered I was drunk enough to walk up to several of the "cliques" and told them exactly what I thought of them then, and what I still thought of them. (Yes Casey you are so right - as soon as I walked in I noticed the lunchtime cliques all in place).

Told two boys I thought they were still cute - ooooooh !!  :-[

Crawled home to die.  Awoke to hangover and an enormous foot - about then I discovered it had been severely broken for 24 hours !!

Needless to say - we havent been invited to to 20th reunion this year !!!!!!!  I assume in order to get a bigger turnout - it will be held in the prison !

Dosnt bother me - the only people I liked at school are still my friends today and feel the exact same way about the school and its students.  I dont need to see who is thin or fat, who married who, who is successful etc etc.  Doesnt fuss me one iota.

Written By: Paul on 09/07/04 at 7:04 am

Unless I'm missing something, school reunions aren't really a British thing...

That said, 'Friends Reunited' (a Brit website for dredging up your murky past...) has proved to be popular in recent times...it's also led to the end of some marriages in some cases...!!

So I took the bait, didn't I? A couple of weeks after registering, I got the replies, but then thought 'What on Earth am I going to say to someone I've not seen for nigh on 20 years, and probably didn't like at the time...', so I came to my senses and quickly de-registered...!!

And, as BMG rightly says...

If I want to know what my class mates are up to these days I check the front page of the paper, the crime pages and the obits.

Being in a rough part of town, our pillar of education naturally had some low-life thrown in (though I don't think anyone stooped to bomb threats...!), but there were a couple of kids who met their demise through drugs...fools...

...I had been to a champange breakfast, followed by a champange lunch.  I was pretty smashed by the time she picked me up - I had also broken my ankle and not yet noticed !

Attagirl, BMG...!! What a woman...!!

Dosnt bother me - the only people I liked at school are still my friends today and feel the exact same way about the school and its students.  I dont need to see who is thin or fat, who married who, who is successful etc etc.  Doesnt fuss me one iota.

Exactly my opinions on the whole thing...I've no reason or curiosity to re-visit part of my life that I can't say I honestly enjoyed...

Written By: gemini61 on 09/07/04 at 7:39 am

This year was my 25 yr. reunion. I didn't go, but I did check out some of the pictures on our school website. I could tell from the pics that it was the same bunch, in their same little cliques. So, I'm sure I didn't miss anything.  :)

Written By: jaytee on 09/07/04 at 7:45 am

I went to mine in 1996   :o  and had a great time.   I still hang around with quite a few of my highschool friends - we go out for dinner every couple of months.   We caught up with a lot of people - had a few good laughs.  I enjoyed talking to our teachers - some of them were only about 7 years older than us. :o  The most incredible thing is that out of around 120 kids we had lost nobody - and as far as I know we are all still in the land of the living.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/04 at 11:26 am

I went to I think the Ten or 15 Year reunion.  No idea why.  Friend talked me into it.

I hated highschool - well I hated THAT highschool - it was violent, the teachers feared most of the students so they didnt bother teaching those of us who wanted to learn.  There was serious bashings, bomb threats, and a teacher was killed.

We were constantly on the front page of the papers for all the wrong reasons. 

Worst three years off my life.

But to appease my friend I went with her.  It was two days before Xmas and I had been to a champange breakfast, followed by a champange lunch.  I was pretty smashed by the time she picked me up - I had also broken my ankle and not yet noticed !

Anyway - we dolled ourselves up in our regular nightclubbing clothes - walked in to discover it was "formal" !!

Way to make yourselves immediately noticable.

Headed for the bar.  Got sleazed onto by a guy who made some indecent proposals - finally my friend reminds me he was our English teacher ! ICK ICK ICK

Noticed enough missing faces to realise prison day release had not been agreed to for half the science class !

Discovered I was drunk enough to walk up to several of the "cliques" and told them exactly what I thought of them then, and what I still thought of them. (Yes Casey you are so right - as soon as I walked in I noticed the lunchtime cliques all in place).

Told two boys I thought they were still cute - ooooooh !!  :-[

Crawled home to die.  Awoke to hangover and an enormous foot - about then I discovered it had been severely broken for 24 hours !!

Needless to say - we havent been invited to to 20th reunion this year !!!!!!!  I assume in order to get a bigger turnout - it will be held in the prison !

This sounds like it could be a movie or something. (Michelle and Romy's High School Renunion?).

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/07/04 at 11:38 am

I don't think there are any plans to have a 20 year reunion at my school.  The problem is when would you have it?  20 years after GCE's when some left or after lower sixth when some left (myself included) or after A levels when everyone else left?

I'm still trying to get in touch with a friend of mine from school.  She still lives in the town but I haven't bumped into her recently.  My dad got her phone number and I managed to lose it and her e-mail addy didn't work.  She is about the only person I would like to contact.

That said I bumped (literally) into a gorgeous bloke going into a lift the other day.  he recognised me from school.  turns out that he was the short annoying pipsqueak of the photography club.  Boy has he matured well!

Written By: Howard on 09/07/04 at 6:30 pm

My High School reunion will be in 2012. 8 years from now.Who the hell knows if I'll be going anyway. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/07/04 at 6:32 pm

This year was my 20th high school reunion.  Unfortunately, I couldn't attend because I live thousands of miles away now and it would have cost too much to go.  :(

Rojo...about the 'getting old' part, I definitely hear you!  I have now been married for almost 13 years and I have two wonderful kids.  It's hard to believe how time flies!

:) 

It's hard to believe that I was a sophmore about 15 years ago.time does fly when you're having fun. :)

Howard

Written By: stingr22 on 09/08/04 at 12:07 am

My 20 year reunion was this year, too.  I couldn't attend due to a prior engagement.  I did play softball with some guys in my class at our school's alumnit softball tournament (biggest in the U.S.) 2 weeks prior to the reunion.  Same guys, same nicknames, same jokes, and thankfully an appreciation for the same music!  I couldn't make the reunion, but that was the next best thing!  8)

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/08/04 at 12:53 pm

Somebody from my graduating class was supposed to be planning a 15-year reunion this year, but so far it's hasn't happened.  If we had one, I might go just out of curiosity.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/11/04 at 5:17 am

This sounds like it could be a movie or something. (Michelle and Romy's High School Renunion?).

Cat

Hey I did enjoy that movie - mainly cos I understood the insecurities etc and the need they had to pretend to be someone else in case they didnt need live up to others expectations.

The year my reunion took place I was full of those insecurities - hence the unconscious desire to consume roughly 6 bottles of champagne before attending.

Today I am a stronger girl - I really dont give two hoots what people think of me anymore.

Unless I'm missing something, school reunions aren't really a British thing...

That said, 'Friends Reunited' (a Brit website for dredging up your murky past...) has proved to be popular in recent times...it's also led to the end of some marriages in some cases...!!

So I took the bait, didn't I? A couple of weeks after registering, I got the replies, but then thought 'What on Earth am I going to say to someone I've not seen for nigh on 20 years, and probably didn't like at the time...', so I came to my senses and quickly de-registered...!!

And, as BMG rightly says...

Being in a rough part of town, our pillar of education naturally had some low-life thrown in (though I don't think anyone stooped to bomb threats...!), but there were a couple of kids who met their demise through drugs...fools...

Attagirl, BMG...!! What a woman...!!

Exactly my opinions on the whole thing...I've no reason or curiosity to re-visit part of my life that I can't say I honestly enjoyed...

So true Paul - I lost a lost of school friends to drugs and also suicide.  the ones in jail are not and were never my friends.  Half my science class were sentenced to life for taking part in a bashing murder back in 86 or 87.  Many others are in jail for prostitution, drug manufacturing, murder, rape, fraud, embezzling etc.  Nice lot they were !

I registered on the schoolfriends.com.au out of curiousity just to see who was doing what - but have not answered any of the messages I was sent by former classmates - like ou said - what do I have in common with them 20 years later ?  And do I really want to know ?

Somewhere I have a spectacular photo of the broken ankle !!  It was soooo ugly - I actually thought it was a sprain and walked around on it for a further 3 months before getting xrays !  Apparently it was completely snapped thru and had I stumbled at all in those three months the bone would have come thru the skin !!!!!!!!!!!!  Obviously champagne was the correct brand of painkiller !  Needless to say I got a very strong lecture from my doctor !

Written By: Howard on 09/11/04 at 8:54 am

Is anyone a member of Classmates.com.I am,but I get people from my old high school who had already signed up and I get a lot of replies in my e-mail.Who knows if I'll be attending my high school reunion. ;D

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/04 at 10:05 am

Is anyone a member of Classmates.com.I am,but I get people from my old high school who had already signed up and I get a lot of replies in my e-mail.Who knows if I'll be attending my high scholl reunion. ;D

Howard

I am. I only heard from one person, an old friend who I was in the military with.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/13/04 at 7:51 pm

I am. I only heard from one person, an old friend who I was in the military with.

Cat

I've been out of High School for about 12 years and who knows how many people now had signed up with Classmates.I'd like to know when my reunion will be. :(

Howard

Written By: Heavymetal on 09/15/04 at 4:15 pm

My twenty year reunion is in November. I'm going.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/04 at 8:16 pm

So,Who would I call to find out if there will be a High School reunion in 2012?

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...