inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you could time travel...

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/12/04 at 11:58 am

Here's something I was thinking about last night while trying to fall asleep(not too difficult of a task after chasing around two little boys all day, well three if I include my dh).

If you could time travel backwards what year would you pick?  You get to spend 48 hrs. in that time period.  And it's not like Back to the Future, whatever goes down when you go back is NOT going to affect your present or future.  And if you are literal minded like myself you don't have to worry about who will do your job or take care of your kids in the present.  There's a clone of you that'll be you when you're gone(I'm having a Total Recall moment).  So would you do it? And what year and why that year?

Does anyone else out there use their mind like a dvd player or vhs?  I do, I go back in time in my head and try to remember details and things and memories in general and I can relive them.  I don't do it all the time, just every so often, it's a cool feeling.

I still don't know what year I would pick.  Maybe...(I'm thinking, I'm thinking) 1984.  It was the year I switched from private to public school and it was a pretty fun year.
I was in sixth grade. It was also my first time having sort of real crushes and boys interested in me.  But I was definitely still a girl I was a late bloomer. But I more than made up for it;)  Ok, your turn...

Subject: Re: If you could time travel...

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/12/04 at 1:28 pm

i'd go back to 1989 and pursue the girl that i fell in love with. she ended with my best friend and i gave up. 15 years later and i'm now with that woman, she told me i could have had her had i been more forward. i felt that i have lost out on 15 years...now i have to make up for it..at least it has a happy ending.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/12/04 at 3:47 pm

That is so sweet sputnikcorp.  What a touching story.  Can I ask some questions? Well I'll ask but you of course don't have to answer my incredibly nosey inquiring mind.  How did you guys end up meeting up again and when?  Do you think she's the one and you guys will get married?!  Everyone loves a good love story!  Here's mine...my dh and I were a blind date, we dated for 3 mos. and were married almost 3 mos. later, we're married with 2 kids for a little over 4 yrs. 

You know as far as making up for lost time and wishing you guys had always been together, one way to look at it is this... If let's say you got together then and for some reason broke up because kids do stuff like that for thousands of reasons, immaturity, not ready for real commitment, wanting to explore more, not knowing a good thing when you got it, the grass is greener thinking.  I think you're better off this way w/o ever having broke up and gotten back together and having to deal with all that stuff because it's rare for a couple to meet so young and last.  Most people aren't ready, I know I wasn't ready for my dh until the year I met him.  Two years earlier I would have rejected him based on some stupid rule I was following at the time such as dating guys only a certain height or # of years older than me.  Anyway, just something I thought about, don't know what you think about that?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/04 at 7:37 pm

If I could relive 48 hours over again, it would be Oct 17th and 18th of last year. That was the day before and the day I married my best friend.  ;D

Cat

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/12/04 at 11:26 pm

we met up again after i bumped into her at our local bookstore in march of this year. she's going through a divorce (not the same guy) and i came out of an unpleasant relationship so we decided to renew our friendship. of coarse one thing lead to another....we decided not to get married, at least not for sometime. we love each other madly, to have a foundation of friendship that we have is great, there are no pretenses, no awkwardness, we've seen each others bad sides and know how we feel. of coarse theres the regret about our past, but like i said, we have the rest of our lifes to catch up.

Written By: Steve2891 on 09/13/04 at 5:42 am

I wanna travel back to 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1994.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/04 at 8:50 pm

I would like to go back to 1983 the summer I went to camp and enjoyed myself somewhat till I got beat up so much by punk kids cause I was 9 years old. :(  ;D

Howard

Written By: Mayleneo on 09/13/04 at 8:59 pm

I dont even wanna go back to anytime in my lifetime. :P dont get me wrong... Ive had a great life...i just would wanna try somthing new...ok here goes and this is a bit crazy :o :o :o :o

Id want to go be a hipppy....... burn my bra, protest the war...smoke weed when it was hip ..LOL...travel around from protest to potest on busses and VW's just like you see it on TV....

I know that there was some bad stuff from that time...but im intentionally :):) romantisizing it for my own fun and imaginations:):)

Written By: Howard on 09/13/04 at 9:25 pm

I dont even wanna go back to anytime in my lifetime. :P dont get me wrong... Ive had a great life...i just would wanna try somthing new...ok here goes and this is a bit crazy :o :o :o :o

Id want to go be a hipppy....... burn my bra, protest the war...smoke weed when it was hip ..LOL...travel around from protest to potest on busses and VW's just like you see it on TV....

I know that there was some bad stuff from that time...but im intentionally :):) romantisizing it for my own fun and imaginations:):)

I agree with you.Why would I wanna travel back in time and change the things I did? I'll just move forward. :)

Howard

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/13/04 at 11:40 pm

i'd love to go back to 1977..it would be so much fun to be surrounded by so much retro stuff(i was only eight that year but do i ever wish i could have experienced a disco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Written By: Atari on 09/14/04 at 10:02 am

1983. Best year of my life. Everything sucked from 1984 to 1998  :\'(

Life is good now  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/14/04 at 10:06 am

If I could travel back in time it would be in 1984 the day I wound up with braces and then see what life would be 20 years later if I still had them on. ;D

Howard

Written By: Icemaidnrebix on 11/02/04 at 9:00 am

I would also have to say 1984, I wasn't old enough to buy records and I don't remember seeing Nik Kershaw on TV until 1988 (I was 10) so I'd love to time travel back to then to experience some of the stuff I wasn't old enough to, which I missed out on.

Written By: joedeertae on 11/02/04 at 10:02 am

I would have to say 81/82-ish. :) Anywhere in there when I was 11/12 y/o but I would want to take my kids with me so they could see what it was like to take off in the woods (I grew up on a farm) and be gone all day long fishing, playing in the creek, climbing trees or riding the horses w/out having your family worry that you got picked up by some koo-koo bastich or worse. And when you heard Grandpa honk the truck horn you got about 5 minutes to get back to the house or else!

Those were the days....................... unfortunately now long gone. :\'(

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/02/04 at 10:47 am

^ that sounds like fun  :)

Written By: Elvis on 11/02/04 at 4:31 pm

July 1954 to Memphis, back to the moment just before I walked into Sun records and the wild ride started. A few things I'd done different a few not. Oh well, I did stir up things and have been blessed.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/02/04 at 5:35 pm

July 1954 to Memphis, back to the moment just before I walked into Sun records and the wild ride started. A few things I'd done different a few not. Oh well, I did stir up things and have been blessed.

whoa...the King is here...*bows in his holy light*

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/02/04 at 5:41 pm

I'd go back to April 26, 2001 and get to the subway restaraunt and save my son's life

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/02/04 at 5:46 pm

i'd love to go back to 1977..it would be so much fun to be surrounded by so much retro stuff(i was only eight that year but do i ever wish i could have experienced a disco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'd go back with you! I was only one at the time, so I missed out!

Tanya

Written By: joedeertae on 11/02/04 at 7:26 pm

^ that sounds like fun  :)

it was  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/02/04 at 7:36 pm

1979,the day I took my Mother's scissors and snipped my own bangs.I didn't know back then cause I was only 5 years old at the time.unfortunately for me,I had to have my pictures taken with that bald spot in the middle of my forehead and it was an ugly site.It took about a couple of months to grow back. :(

Howard

Written By: Todd Z on 11/03/04 at 3:03 am

Man, not only would I love to go back! I would want to stay there Too!  1983 would be good, I was in first grade! Man how great it would be to be that age again! :)

Written By: Howard on 11/03/04 at 7:54 pm

1984.I wish I could time travel so I could be 10 years old again.

Howard

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 11/08/04 at 11:37 am

Do I get to pick the place, too? If so, then 1988 and Gaddesden Place in the U.K. As I never have seen a movie being made, I would like to see one being made, and one of my favorite films, "The Lair of the White Worm," was made there that year.

Written By: roboqueen on 11/08/04 at 12:14 pm

I would go back to right before I was even born, like 1970 or something.
But only if I could go back knowing then what I know now.

Then I would break the time machine so I'd have to stay.
And I would become a millionare 'cause I would know what all was gonna be a hit & what all was gonna make money & stuff like that.

I would buy all the right stock & move to the right places, make all the right envestments.
And hell, while I'm at it, why not just be a rock star?
I wouldn't steal any future hits from anyone or anything. Just get famous knowing what was gonna be in style & stuff.

I say I would do this, but only if I had never had children, really.
I wouldn't wanna leave them in the future or take them back with me either.
'Cause I couldn't just stay a few days or so, I'd have to do it forever or nothing.
So I guess, I actually wouldn't go anywhere, then, huh?

Written By: roboqueen on 11/08/04 at 12:16 pm

Forgive my spelling, by the way.

Written By: eightiesfan on 11/08/04 at 1:54 pm

I'd go back to 1987-89, my junior and senior years of high school.  8)

Written By: Howard on 11/08/04 at 6:14 pm

1988-The day I started High School.

Howard

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/08/04 at 7:27 pm

back to 1989 when i met the woman who would rip my heart out 15 years later. i would walk the other way, never to have met her...would i be happier i wonder?

Subject: If you could time travel...

Written By: Dude111 on 02/17/18 at 9:43 pm

Hmmmm I only get 48hrs??

I would goto 1983 and buy 100s of dollars worth of plain m&ms! (They changed them to skim milk in 2000 (from whole milk :())

I would goto my school and order hamburgers!! (Ahhhhhhh I love them all thru my school years -- LOADED WITH CATCHUP!!)

Written By: Howard on 02/18/18 at 7:29 am

I'd want to time travel back to 1980 back when I was just 6 years old.

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/25/18 at 1:24 pm

1987, the best year of my life.

Written By: graciee on 02/25/18 at 1:35 pm

I would go back to 2012 to relive my childhood!

Written By: Class of 84 on 03/01/18 at 9:26 pm

I'd go back to a weekend in the summer of 84, to relive a few days with my wife when we were just 18, before all the health issues, and life's problems took their toll.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/18 at 9:37 am

First today, I would buy a copy of Gray Sports Almanac 1950-2000, then head back in time!

Written By: robby76 on 03/02/18 at 10:35 am

1984 seems like a popular year and I agree. I was only 7 or 8 yrs old but I would love to go back to my old house and just spend the day watching old tv shows, playing with all my 80s toys and just spending time with my family. There were 4 kids in the house, so there was never a dull moment. Also played outside a lot on the street with our neighbours. Great days!

Check for new replies or respond here...