inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Style Coming Back? What Do You Think?

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/21/04 at 8:10 am

Do you think that 80s Fashion should come Back? Do you think that the music should come back?

Subject: Re: 80s Style Coming Back? What Do You Think?

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 8:45 am

Do you think that the music should come back?

YES!!! Bring back the music.... hairbands/metal RULES!!!!!! ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/21/04 at 9:30 am

no. please god, no. as much as i loved my childhood i never want to see the fashions again. as to music, why? yes, today's music is mostly crap but thats why they have 80s radio stations for.

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 10:00 am

no. please god, no. as much as i loved my childhood i never want to see the fashions again.

LOL ;D I will second that one sputnikcorp

as to music, why? yes, today's music is mostly crap but thats why they have 80s radio stations for.

Because we could have MORE stations playing th 80's as opposed to just one. :D Maybe even different formats of 80's music  8)

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/21/04 at 11:51 am

as to music, why? yes, today's music is mostly crap but thats why they have 80s radio stations for.

Thatd be nice, if there were any 80s radio stations around here.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 12:47 pm

I'm also at the front line trying to bring 80s style back in my college. so far, I've seen kids wearing multi colored wrist bands, SUPERSTARS ;), and listening to new wave,even swapping vinyls at first i thought it to be impossible to bring the styles back, but now they caught on!!!
it's fantastic!!!! ;)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 12:55 pm

ITS TIME FOR A NEW WAVE NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Written By: kslack on 09/21/04 at 3:30 pm

today's youth need their own damn style. c'mon be original. you don't know how traumatizing it is for me to see people walking around in terrible clothes that my mom used to buy me, with terrible haircuts my mom used to give me.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 3:51 pm

True. but that's were freedom of choice comes though the subwoofers. im sure u argued your case with your mother buying clothes that you didn't like. ;)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 3:55 pm

some teens today applaud an imitation but reject the real thing.

Written By: kslack on 09/21/04 at 4:14 pm

i'm just thinking "why"??  , the clothes look stupid to me.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 4:17 pm

at first glance, some of it may seem supid, but now we depend on it for new looks. ;)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 4:20 pm

some of us wear supider crap today. (sagging,oversized shirts,etc.) ;D

Written By: Alice on 09/21/04 at 5:10 pm

I think that '80s influence is still all around. The 90's and '00s ambient-techno & electronica scenes were/are heavily influenced by the early '80s and late 080s electro and acid house scenes (Aphex Twin, Banco de Gaia,The Black Dog, Moby, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, Utah Saints...etc.). As these early years of the new century unfold, a new resurgence of new wave-influenced electro-pop is emerging in the form of Nu New Wave and Electroclash with artists such as Ladytron, Fischerspooner, Peaches, Felix da Housecat, and The Epoxies. The garage rock revival, too, is allowing some interesting bands with a retro postpunk and power pop sound like Hot Hot Heat, The Briefs, Interpol, Simian, etc. to gain some much deserved recognition. Very cool to see the energetic and eminently danceable sound of early '80s new wave making a comeback! That old 20-25 year cycle of nostalgia is kicking in, so put the emo-core and rap-metal on the back-burner, if only for a day!
As for fashion, I think it was okay when it was In, because it was something completely new, truly original, never seen before. But returning to it now? No way! I think that nowadays's teenagers should have their very own fashion. They should look into the future, not past creating something truly unique and special.

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/21/04 at 8:47 pm

I think that it should come back because i love the ssyle and it will never be exactly like the real 80's but hey there styles are better than stupid baggy pants and huge shirts, pin straight hair and it looks  retarded. I hope it comes back and the minute i does i am throwing all my old clothes away. The music is so awesome i actually prefer their music from stupid music now because it sucks it has no meaning. I am actually listening to "Fire in the Twilight" by Wang Chung. But i hope that since i missed it the first time around i can be apart of it this time.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/21/04 at 9:51 pm

hey there, I think 80's fashion IS back at least for women.  Le Tigre and Izod are huge right now, as well as a bunch of other fashion flavors of the 80's.  Elle is my favorite fashion magazine and it features a ton of 80's touches, lots of luxe from the 80's.  Also Marc Jacobs, the posh designer has a real 80's flare in his recent line.  I'm lovin it!

As far as the music, sure that'd be great, but I don't think it's happening just yet...

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/22/04 at 12:58 am

I still don't see much evidence of the 80s coming back, but I do believe it is possible.  After seeing how the 70s came back for the 90s, I can believe that ANY decade can come back in style.   I remember back in my senior year of high school in 1993, kids were talking about how the 70s were coming back in style.  NO ONE could believe it at the time.  No one.  Some people thought it was cool, but truthfuly for the majority of us it was a shock, because we were raised in the 80s and brought up to think 70s styles (bell bottoms, platform shoes) were just flat out ugly and retarded looking.  You couldn't give 70s clothes away in the 80s, not even to homeless shelters, then all of a sudden one day they became the style.

But if the 80s come back, I suspect like how the 70s came back for the 90s, 2000s, it will be a modified form.  Probably a better form.  I always thought the way the 90s and 2000s did the 70s were a lot better then the ugly stuff around during the original 1970s.  For instance leisure suits and that flared out collar look was edited out for the 70s return in the 90s.  Only the stuff that could look cool was brought back, the really stupid things (like leisure suits) that could never be made cool were left to die with the original 1970s.  The bell bottom look that was brought back was not the same exact bell bottoms from the original 70s, it was an updated look for the 90s/2000s.   I suspect that when the 80s come back in full force, it will be the same deal.  A full blown 80s revival will look a lot better then the orignal 1980s and be done the RIGHT WAY.  This time all the really garish and campy stuff will be left out.   

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/22/04 at 8:24 am

But don't all you originals miss the 80's and how it was? I know I would. I mean the music, the movies, the pop culture it would have been so awesome and Man I wish I could be reincarinated to the 80's and spend a day in the 80's. I Wish.

Written By: kslack on 09/22/04 at 8:29 am

of course you tend to look to the past with rose colored glasses. yes, i miss the 80's but probably because I was a kid, just having fun and not having to worry about bills, etc. also because there were alot more arcades around, with better games!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/22/04 at 9:25 am

i agree with Alice, a lot of alternative and EBM/techno bands have used or are using 80s style in their music. apoptygma berzerk, cruxshadows, vnv nation are some of the industrial groups which i like that have 80s new wave influences.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/22/04 at 11:27 am

Its not exactly in our intrest to copy the fashion of the style completely, but to gain inspiration.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/22/04 at 11:33 am

You don't have to worry about us making a complete mockery of the 80s style. some of us actually live on the sight, sound and feel.that is to say we're inspired. I trying to put together a synth group, but no luck with financing. :\'(

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/22/04 at 5:00 pm

I don't want anything to be left out. I am not trying to copy it but like they said it's inspiration. a remake is never good as the original and I think no matter what we have it will never be quite the same 80's that ist really was I hope it will an I wish it could be and I know that it won't so, yea. It will be fun and cool anyway  I hope it comes back.

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/23/04 at 8:00 am

Does anybody feel the same way I do? Does anybody oppose? I just need to know everybody's thoughts.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/23/04 at 10:44 pm

Here's my thoughts 80sfreak, you could never replicate a decade, the REAL feel of it, something that would feel anything more than nostalgic because the recipe of life has changed.  Meaning more ingredients have been mixed in, we're all as a society evolving because of how history, life events have changed us.  Sure we could wear styles that reflect the 80's however tweaked otherwise you look kind of pathetic and time warpy, and the music could as well reflect this but it just can't be the same without sounding like a rip off of something done already or less sophisticated.  I hate to be a downer, believe me I would love to go back in time to visit, I wouldn't want to leave the present that I've made for myself right now with my dh and kids and good friends none of which are from my past.  My belief is that every previous decade has a romance to it, it has a naivete as well because back then they didn't know what we know now.  Idon't know if I've made much sense or just sound confusing and long winded, lol. 

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/24/04 at 8:20 am

Yeah Hysteric i totally agree with you and I get what you're saying iw ouldn't want to leave everything. But yea like you said it would be nice to go back and visit. Thanks for your opinion.

Written By: Lillbrown on 09/26/04 at 9:35 pm

Hey, some of the 80's styles were mockeries in their own right, (trust me, I was there) so hey, go for it!  For the youngun's that is, for me, it was fun the first time around, but no thanks, now.

Written By: McDonald on 09/27/04 at 9:53 am

A perfct 2k would be a mix of 80s music and pop culture and 2k technology like computers, internet, etc... But let the fashion be merely influenced by the 80s because save for the new wave culture, most of the clothes and styles in the 80s were crap. I mean, if I see someone in a Member's Only jacket I'm going to take 'em out!

I'm a GenY kid so I remember enough of the 80s to stake a decent claim on the pop-culture. I love the movies and I love the music (all save for the hair metal and such), but I would be miserable without computers. And as far as the comeback, I'd like it to be something else, because comebacks come and go... Remember when disco came back in the 90s...? It was for like maybe a year or two. And when the 60s came back in the 80s, everyone made fun of it. I don't want this to happen to the 80s, they're just too good. So let the "comeback" be called a natural retro-progression (?). Late for World Civ. gotta go.

Written By: Koop on 10/09/04 at 9:29 pm

hey there, I think 80's fashion IS back at least for women.  Le Tigre and Izod are huge right now, as well as a bunch of other fashion flavors of the 80's.  Elle is my favorite fashion magazine and it features a ton of 80's touches, lots of luxe from the 80's.  Also Marc Jacobs, the posh designer has a real 80's flare in his recent line.  I'm lovin it!

As far as the music, sure that'd be great, but I don't think it's happening just yet...

I'm noticing it especially in earrings that I see a lot of the teens and/or college age kids wearing....big, clunky earrings made out of different colored plastic, the chandelier earrings, big, silver hoops.  Makes me wish that I still had all of my earrings from high school.  :)

Aqua Net hair is something from the 80s I can do without.  I don't know if my hair could stand it.  :D

Written By: alwayssearching on 10/09/04 at 9:49 pm

I tried on a Poncho the other day while shopping for one with my daughter.  Yeesh!  I realized at that moment that at a certain age you just can't pull some things off anymore.  I guess I won't even try to get my belly button pierced(unless my poncho hides it)!

Laurel

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/10/04 at 9:58 am

I hate the plastic jewellery... i cringe when I look at girls in it.  I have to admit thoiugh I have a couple of ponchos.

I think the most vile thing of all though is the girls haircuts!!!!  It was wrong then and it's wrong now. 

Boys are getting off lightly with this fad.

Written By: Davester on 10/10/04 at 12:49 pm

80's fashion, GAWD no!

Written By: princessofpower on 10/10/04 at 6:13 pm

well I hope the perms don't come back.  They didn't help anybody  :-\\  I've bought a few 80's clothing items recentley but I can get away with it because luckily I don't look my age.  I'm 26.  Just the other week I was asked for id buying alcohol.  Although annoying and imbarrising I suppose it's quite flattering.

All the young girls and women are wearing the flat ski boots with cropped jeans and pink is everywhere.  I quite like it really because these are all the things I wanted to wear back in the 80's when I was child but of course back then it was only for the older girls.  Children dressed like children then and teenagers dressed like teenagers.  Now girls of 8 are wearing the same as what an 18 year old is wearing and I don't think it's right.

Now I get the chance to dress up like Molly Ringwald in Pretty In Pink and allowed to go out like that  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/10/04 at 6:45 pm

I think The Jordache Jeans are making a comeback. :)

Howard

Written By: TimKArdwen on 10/17/04 at 11:36 am

If you go into any Abercrombie you can see for yourself, about 70% of everything is in an 80's style. I think it is coming back, we did the 60's and 70's revival in the 90's, so now the 80's have their turn. I'm just waiting for the day when a straight guy can wear short shirts again. Remember when showing your bellybutton was a guy thing?! LOL

Written By: Pink Ranger on 10/17/04 at 5:06 pm

I walked into the mall a few weeks ago, and all the stores had 80s comeback clothes. I was horrified. The 80s called and asked for the neon colors back, those things are ugly!

Written By: rudie on 10/17/04 at 5:13 pm

Ya, lots of come backs..  Neville Staple of the Specials and fun boy three has a new CD,which is really good.  you can find out more at www.rudeboymusic.co.uk

Written By: lytheoney08010 on 11/07/04 at 9:30 am

I think that it should come back because i love the ssyle and it will never be exactly like the real 80's but hey there styles are better than stupid baggy pants and huge shirts, pin straight hair and it looks  retarded. I hope it comes back and the minute i does i am throwing all my old clothes away. The music is so awesome i actually prefer their music from stupid music now because it sucks it has no meaning. I am actually listening to "Fire in the Twilight" by Wang Chung. But i hope that since i missed it the first time around i can be apart of it this time.

Somethings gotta give, at least back then the songs didn't go Balla's-hustla's-ho's-b's-tricks-sluts- Nig#@'s-Sean Jean- Polo-airforce ones-bling bling-ride a die-iced out-pass my clip-rollin on dubs-shake ya a@%- drop it like its hot all while somebody's singing it like its seriouse in the background  ;D

Written By: PeeWee04 on 11/11/04 at 1:10 pm

fashion...no; music...definite yes!!!  I agree that the 80's music is so much better than most of today's stuff.  80's music seemed so much happier...  Richmond, Virginia (where I live) had a 80's radio station for about a year or two but I guess they were bought out or something because it's yet another oldies station....I guess I'll have to wait until I get xm satellite radio...

Written By: snowguy716 on 02/15/05 at 10:37 pm

I sure hope the 80s aren't coming back!  (Although I see it a lot in womans' fashion)...

I think the 70s are being revived though too.  I think people of my age group (late high school/early college) really lived the full "rejection" of the 80s in high school, and are carrying it into college.  Our parents grew up in the 70s... and their love for music, dance, and uh well, interesting clothes (can we say earth tones?) was passed down to us.

I guess what I just find most interesting... how did the transition from the 70s to the 80s take place?  They were so opposite of eachother!.. 1979-1982 must have been a bit weird.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/16/05 at 1:30 am

I think the music is.  Numetal is giving in to softer, acoustic/synthy sounds (just older sounding not necessary 80s sounding, just not 1991-2003 Post-Rock sound).  Pop is also becoming more popular, commercialized, and one-hit-wonderish. 

The fashion?  In some ways, but no kid would admit it looked eighties.  Big, poofy and long hair is coming back in style, Punk clothing is returning.

Also kids today are more conservative than late 60s, 70s, or 90s kids.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/16/05 at 6:57 am

Do you think that 80s Fashion should come Back? Do you think that the music should come back?

Yes, too both.

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/16/05 at 8:42 am

The Music,yes..Did it ever really leave though? It was still heavily played in the early 90s, then died down a wee bit in the mid to late 90s,and now I hear it being heavily played again.

The cloths noooooo..
Everyone keeps saying the 70s came back in the mid 90s...yeah with the females it did...Other then the longer style leather jackets,it never caught on right away with the guys...it's just now catching on with the guys..

I had my kids in some of those trendy clothing stores shopping for cloths for them and one of the store sales people asked me if I needed some help.So I just kind of laughed and said no thanks I didnt like the saggy style the guys wear these days.He said about 90% of the jeans they sell to the guys now are the flares.

Written By: bendergoonie1987 on 02/16/05 at 8:44 am

yes! i think that the people from the 80's don't really appriciate/are horrified by it since they actually lived it.
i didn't actually lived during the 80s, and i try to incorporate something 80's into my wardrobe every day. not even joking... lol.
i admire it so much!
;D

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/16/05 at 2:17 pm

Absolutely 100 % YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHY NOT MAN THE 80's ROCKED...AND WILL CONTINUE TO ROCK....I'M TELLING U THE 80'S ARE COMIN BACK!!!

The 80's strikes back...or Return of the 80's.....hmmm it cant be the orignal 1980's but hey it owulod be cool if we got some style back, some BETTER TV shows, and movies

Written By: george78 on 02/16/05 at 2:42 pm

I don't know where you guys are from, but I'm from Chicago.........the 80s style has been back for a few months now. I guess you have to live in an urban area to know this. I've seen girls wearing legwarmers, the big bright earrings, over the shoulder tops, bright colored heels, etc. I remember last summer, the ripped jeans were in for a bit. Don't get me wrong it's not full blown 80s, but there are elements from the decade in city styles. These are being worn by a lot of the "urban hipsters", "trixie" type girls......you know, the ones that stop and get their Starbucks in their Jetta and shop at upscale department stores.  8)

Written By: joedeertae on 02/17/05 at 10:52 am

... but hey it owulod be cool if we got some style back, some BETTER TV shows, and movies

and MUSIC!!!

Written By: Sweetheart4JTE on 02/17/05 at 6:49 pm

YES YES YES YES!!!! The music...the men...the hair...the clothes...the innocence! And to the poster 'woops' should know what I mean! *nudges woops'*

Written By: ADH13 on 03/24/05 at 7:09 pm

Yes and no.  Although I think alot of the current clothes are HORRIBLE, I do like the fact that because of all the different styles you see, there isn't a whole lot of "unacceptable" clothing.  I think it would be great if the 70's, 80's, 90's and even the yucky clothes of today could be available so we could wear any combination of it without looking too out of place.

Personally I love the 80's clothing styles but I'm not too crazy about the colors.  I can do without the bright orange, chartreuse, neon green, hot pink, coral, turquoise, etc.  I prefer burgundy, black, gray, tan, white, plum, navy blue, etc.

I do, however, love the tapered leg jeans, tight shirts, etc.  I also am happy to see the return of white thread on dark blue jeans.  :)

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 03/25/05 at 8:47 am

i'm still in high school and the 80s fashion/music is still big around here. i think it's coming back little by little, and that makes me extremely happy.
you people who actually lived in the 80s in high school have no idea how lucky you are. i'm sorry you're traumatized by it, but i want it so bad!

Written By: 90s boy on 03/25/05 at 9:22 am

what i wanna see come back in 90's fashon and 80's and 90's sounding Music thats all i want im seeing a little bit of 80's fashion comeing back and im also see some 90's fashion comeing back too

Written By: Aideen on 03/30/05 at 6:39 pm

OMG!!! i sooooooooo hope the 80's are coming back. Today's style is slutty and annoying. 80's are awesome. And the hair was the best part.

Written By: cagesundercage on 03/30/05 at 7:00 pm

heh heh heh

Written By: Xer on 03/31/05 at 10:10 am

I've noticed that the dimonds are comeing back.  Do you remember those? :D

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/31/05 at 3:50 pm

ITS TIME FOR A NEW WAVE NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

why not...im all for that...see how the 80's will take over this land once more!!

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/02/05 at 12:32 pm

I wish women had more creative hairstyles. I'm just tied of the thin, straight hair. There's just too much of it. Will the trend ever end? Straight hair is a lot more interesting, when there's less of it. I'm not calling for outrageous hairdos, just more creative. Kind of like a lot of the early 90's hairstyles women had.

Written By: JonBender666 on 04/04/05 at 8:51 pm

OK so I guess the style is coming back but who really cares what the stlye is. Right now Im wearing moon boots,2 swatch watches, a Human League tshirt,and I have a mohawk. People do look at me strange but whatever. I also have a pair of 80's sunglasses I wear, their like one side normal the other is triangle(hard to explain but very 80's).

Written By: JonBender666 on 04/04/05 at 8:56 pm

Oh and I wear a members only jacket. I have an assortment of five colors to choose from

Written By: migi on 04/05/05 at 2:10 am

I have a moderate mohawk (not too long - I'm working at office!) You can see pastell colors this summer in fashion. There are yellow and pink.
I just wish music would come back also.  Too much hip hop -> sick of p.diddy

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/05/05 at 9:40 am

I just bought one of those cropped tailored jackets that looks very 80's style.

With regard to hairstyles, my boyfriend is a hairdresser and has said that a lot of the 80's elements have come back, such as the bright hair colours, like Cyndi Lauper. Plus, I had asymetric hair recently, but i think it was a little bit too Human League!

Written By: nicole on 04/28/05 at 5:48 pm

i know that everyone loves and misses the 80s deep down! i know there coming back .......why do u think mischa barton is modeling keds??????????????? or why do u think everyones wearing skirts over pants////?????? the 80s are coming back, believe me! everyone loves that time period! why do u think such good music, songs clothes came out??? why do u think start me up the song came out??? cuz reagan was the president and life was good and we were just starting to get out of the slums and starting to become a good country! doesnt everyone get it!!! the 80s was the best time of their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/28/05 at 6:21 pm

The 80's died hard and should not be brought back to life EVER.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/28/05 at 8:09 pm

I'm seeing some signs of the 80s styles coming back around here too. Some of the stuff my daughter is wearing reminds me of the stuff I used to wear,but I bite my tongue and not say anything.

Can't wait till all the styles are back.

Written By: sarah0000 on 09/16/05 at 6:11 pm

yes go for the 80s!
my generationt these days sucks everyone in and it would be wonderful if we could make 80s a wonderful comeback

as a user said, we like the imitation but we reject the real thing

back then your own opinion not what your friends style is why people looked so happenin if i do say so myself

lets get rid of the emo its eating up my friends

back then it was about having fun, at least lets get that back

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/05 at 6:14 pm

I just want the music to come back.  The 80's was a day and age when songs on the radio were fun.  These days, it's loud guitars, racey lyrics, pretty much just some dude screaming  ::)

Written By: Criz on 09/17/05 at 3:01 pm

Musically, there is so much synth inspried indie stuff around - and I absolutly love all of that. Think Killers, The Bravery etc...

With fashion, it's bizzare beacuse there are so many 80s inspired trends, yet they're mixed in with a modern feel. Ra-ra skirts have been big for a while now, but they're not frumpy like in the 80s, they're more flattering. And skirts and trousers tends to be worn lower on the wasit now, which I guess also makes the look more flattering.

Personally, I adore the 80s. However, I'm not about to go walking around in a neon-over sized jumper, with a big ol' perm and tight stone-washed jeans. I'd wear stone washed jeans that flare out a little at the bottom, a slogan t-shirt, my curly hair would not be puffed out, but I'd have tidy ringlets, or straighten my hair. You can mix and match bits from the 80s but not over-do it.

Stuff in my wardrobe that's very 80s would be my footless tights. I love those things!! I wear them all the time with my denim skirt, chunky belt (also 80s inspired :P) and a vest top. I also have a load of off-the-shoulder tops/jumpers, a pair of pixie boots, flat ballerina shoes, stripy jumper, ripped jeans, and that's to name but a few! I love belts and long beaded necklaces, oh and big earrings, I have tonnes of them! 

So to those who say 'don't bring the 80s back', I say you're atlking rubbish! Bring some pieces back, but don't over-do it - less is always more nowadays, and it was totally the opposite in the 80s :)

Written By: rip_jeans on 09/19/05 at 4:38 am

If you live in the Los Angeles area, just walk down Melrose, most of the shops there are geared towards 80's clothing.  At a Footlocker store I found a pair of Converse Cons that I had as a kid growing up. (same colors too) At another store I found the alligator shirts that was hand me downs from my brothers back in the 80's. Used ones $50, new ones would set you back $75. Ouch. I remember them being $20 for new ones back in the days. So I guess it just all depends where you live.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/19/05 at 6:23 am

Musically, there is so much synth inspried indie stuff around - and I absolutly love all of that. Think Killers, The Bravery etc...

With fashion, it's bizzare beacuse there are so many 80s inspired trends, yet they're mixed in with a modern feel. Ra-ra skirts have been big for a while now, but they're not frumpy like in the 80s, they're more flattering. And skirts and trousers tends to be worn lower on the wasit now, which I guess also makes the look more flattering.

Personally, I adore the 80s. However, I'm not about to go walking around in a neon-over sized jumper, with a big ol' perm and tight stone-washed jeans. I'd wear stone washed jeans that flare out a little at the bottom, a slogan t-shirt, my curly hair would not be puffed out, but I'd have tidy ringlets, or straighten my hair. You can mix and match bits from the 80s but not over-do it.

Stuff in my wardrobe that's very 80s would be my footless tights. I love those things!! I wear them all the time with my denim skirt, chunky belt (also 80s inspired :P) and a vest top. I also have a load of off-the-shoulder tops/jumpers, a pair of pixie boots, flat ballerina shoes, stripy jumper, ripped jeans, and that's to name but a few! I love belts and long beaded necklaces, oh and big earrings, I have tonnes of them!

So to those who say 'don't bring the 80s back', I say you're atlking rubbish! Bring some pieces back, but don't over-do it - less is always more nowadays, and it was totally the opposite in the 80s :)

I pretty much agree with this.

I guess you could say the 80's are "more accepted and liked" yet without truly making a comeback, if that makes sense. The faux late 90's culture in the air simply won't let it happen - it's like a monster in a horror movie that, no matter how many times you attack it or try to outrun it, simply won't die. ;D

Too many people are listening to rap and rap-inspired music for synthesizers and big guitars to fully re-enter the mainstream - even in an updated form. Too many sequels and remakes, as well as "frat house" style comedies are flooding the industry for that many original movies (ala John Hughes) to be embraced by the masses.

Yet despite all that, people are still saying, "Yeah the 80's rocked" on a far more regular basis than they were in 1995. It's like the concensus is, They rock but I still don't want 'em back. Weird.

Truthfully if we're this far into the new decade and the late 90's still haven't let go yet (well, the 90's themselves are definitely outdated, but its influences aren't), I don't think they will for awhile.

Basically, I'd say if the 80's fashion comes back, we'll have to wait until everything 90's just completely drops off the radar. The rest of the 00's probably won't change too much. I'd say around 2010 is when pop culture will shift again. By then, 1985 will be almost a quarter century ago, and it'll be time. :)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 09/19/05 at 7:23 am

I was shopping in a store called Dress Barn a few weeks ago and I saw sweaters on the racks with shoulder pads in them.  I never thought they'd bring those back!  (I must confess, though, I had a few outfits with shoulder pads when I was in my early 20's)  :-[

Written By: Criz on 09/21/05 at 8:43 am

Yet despite all that, people are still saying, "Yeah the 80's rocked" on a far more regular basis than they were in 1995. It's like the concensus is, They rock but I still don't want 'em back. Weird.

I actually have a t-shirt that says 'The 80s Rock' :D

I agree with you on a level, a lot of people don't want them back. But people like me who didn't really experience the 80s first hand (as I was born in 84) tend to love the popular culture of the decade.

I couldn't remember the unemployment, the riots, the threat of nuclear war etc...and that's what a lot of people do remember about the 80s. But because those things don't associate with how I view it, it's therefore easier for me to appreciate the pieces of music, fashion, film or fads that I like.

You tend to look at films or photos and think, oh my god, what did they look like. But at the time, surely they thought they looked good? Or cool, or whatever really. Even now, I look at my clothes and think that in the future I wont look back and think, 'Oh how dreadful!' - but the truth is, I probably will!

The 80s was a decade of excess, and I do think that the 00s is much the same when you focus on factors like technology and consumption. A lot of this is all to do with advertising, and that's not going to stop. So in one way, the 80s have never left us. But in another way this current decade is totally different.

Things can constantly get revived, and you can't really stop them. I like this whole nostalgia thing. I like things in an 80s style, things that remind me of childhood, things which I can relate to some point in my life and think - oh yeah, that was a great time. I think in 20 years time, I'm going to look back on y life between the age of 16 to 20 and think, ‘that's when I had my whole 80s revival thing going on’. And I think that's kinda nice that I get to appreciate things that we have in the contemporary world and also stuff from a previous decade that I liked :)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/22/05 at 11:07 pm

8)  This is really true if you look at the past....ALL trends come around again....The clothes...In my life I have worn my parents clothes....mine from 20 years ago..that are now cool again....it all comes around again....the Music...well....I Think of course there are some bands that are just CLASSIC.....will never go out of style....but also I think it depends on your upbringing....Since my kids were little..( They are now..19..16..9..)...they have been listening to what me and my husband listen to... and they love it!!!!  My 9 yr old daughter was Jammin..( Air Guitar!..)...last nite to HEART....she LOVES rock and Roll................She has her own CD player and she CHOOSES to buy rock...I give her the choice and she loves rock...Kid has great taste..LOL...I think all...the clothes..music...whatever will always come around again...but the main thing to me is.....I do not conform to the Current Fashion...I wear what I want....I dont care what PPLE think...I told my kids...Be your own person....dont Go with the "CROWD"...wear what you want..say what you want...Be an INDIVIDUAL...I have always givin them the CHOICE....AND..the best thing is..they are all...very independant...self minded little PPLE...love them!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Criz on 09/23/05 at 10:32 am

8)  This is really true if you look at the past....ALL trends come around again....The clothes...In my life I have worn my parents clothes....mine from 20 years ago..that are now cool again....it all comes around again....the Music...well....I Think of course there are some bands that are just CLASSIC.....will never go out of style....but also I think it depends on your upbringing....Since my kids were little..( They are now..19..16..9..)...they have been listening to what me and my husband listen to... and they love it!!!!   My 9 yr old daughter was Jammin..( Air Guitar!..)...last nite to HEART....she LOVES rock and Roll................She has her own CD player and she CHOOSES to buy rock...I give her the choice and she loves rock...Kid has great taste..LOL...I think all...the clothes..music...whatever will always come around again...but the main thing to me is.....I do not conform to the Current Fashion...I wear what I want....I dont care what PPLE think...I told my kids...Be your own person....dont Go with the "CROWD"...wear what you want..say what you want...Be an INDIVIDUAL...I have always givin them the CHOICE....AND..the best thing is..they are all...very independant...self minded little PPLE...love them!!!!!!!!!

That's so true. I think when I was younger I did tend to follow the crowd, but when I hit 16 everything strated to change. I now wear what I want, whgen I want. I remember being at sixth form and EVERY girl would be wearing jeans - and I'd be in a skirt. I didn't care - I just wore what I liked and I think that's the way you have to be to be happy. Nobody should conform just to be accepted. You're more likely to be accepted by better people if you are your own person.

Written By: jlee on 09/24/05 at 7:35 pm

I would love to see the fashion trends (and the music) of the 80s make a major comeback...everything from ripped jeans and parachute pants to two layers of color coordinated socks!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/18/06 at 6:07 pm

I'd say, yes, they are.  Some of them. 

Except for tattoos and body piercings, '90s fashion is dead.  Not everyone is obsessed with straight hair, flannel is only for grungy people, and I only rarely see kids wear overalls.  In the '90s, everyone dressed like hicks, today, I see wilder fashions.  Perhaps the most noteworthy '80s comeback is the hoop earrings.

Written By: scarlet on 05/21/06 at 2:20 am

look at paris's runway its full of 80's fashion....i fear its working its way back one leg warmer at a time :-\\

Written By: Criz on 05/21/06 at 1:30 pm

Are we speaking of Paris the city or has Paris Hilton started designing clothes *shudders* ???

Written By: LiL SiS on 06/07/06 at 11:42 am

DEFINATELY!!!! IM 15 YEARS OLD AND I LIVE IN THE WASHINGTON, DC AREA. WE WEAR THE BIG HAIR, HEADBANDS, LEGWARMERS, LEGGINGS, RIPPED JEANS, VANS, AND CONVERSE CHUCK TAYLORS. OF COURSE WE ADDED OUR MODERN TWIST BUT ITS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!! WE ALSO USE A TOUCH OF OLD MARILYN MONROE GLAMOUR....SHE'S A FASHION ICON AROUND HERE TOO. A LOT OF PEOPLE LIKE TWIGGY ALSO.

Written By: Gis on 06/07/06 at 11:58 am

I would love to see the fashion trends (and the music) of the 80s make a major comeback...everything from ripped jeans and parachute pants to two layers of color coordinated socks!
In the U.K it has taken over completely, just about EVERY fashion is an 80's rehash at the moment  :(

Written By: Criz on 06/17/06 at 4:38 pm

In the U.K it has taken over completely, just about EVERY fashion is an 80's rehash at the moment  :(

Not quite everything, but I know what you mean - but what's wrong with that?

Check for new replies or respond here...