inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Midge Ure's autobiography

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/21/04 at 4:08 pm

For anyone who might be interested, Midge Ure's autobiography entitled, strangely enough, If I Was, is out sometime next month. It should prove to be very interesting for any fan of his, Ultravox, Visage or The Rich Kids. I can't wait to get my copy!! :D

Absolutely Vile

Subject: Re: Midge Ure's autobiography

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 4:13 pm

"If I was a soldier, Captive arms I'd lay before her, If I was a sailor ,Seven oceans I'd sail to her" ;)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 4:14 pm

GOOD STUFF!!! :)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/21/04 at 4:19 pm

"If I was a soldier, Captive arms I'd lay before her, If I was a sailor ,Seven oceans I'd sail to her" ;)

GOOD STUFF!!! :)

Er...yes...good song. But I'm trying to talk about a book here...::)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 09/21/04 at 4:24 pm

i'm sure it will be intresting. should be a hit among ultravox-faithful.

Written By: Alice on 09/21/04 at 4:40 pm

i'm sure it will be intresting. should be a hit among ultravox-faithful.

Absolutely! I think that Ultravox deserve respect in any case, as they made some of the finest (experimental) electro-pop albums in music's history. Especially "Vienna" (1981) and those three made with John Foxx. It will be interesting to read their making as well as Midge Ure's lookback at the legendary Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" (1984) single and Live Aid spectacle. Looking forward to it!
The aforementioned "If I Was" (1985), his only UK#1 hit BTW, is a fine song though.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/21/04 at 4:56 pm

Absolutely! I think that Ultravox deserve respect in any case, as they made some of the finest (experimental) electro-pop albums in music's history. Especially "Vienna" (1981) and those three made with John Foxx.

I agree! Though I don't think Midge will be able to really comment on the first three Ultravox(!) albums as he wasn't there. We'll have to wait for John Foxx to write his memoirs! (Oooh! Now that would definitely be something worth waiting with baited breath for!)

It will be interesting to read their making as well as Midge Ure's lookback at the legendary Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" (1984) single and Live Aid spectacle. Looking forward to it!
The aforementioned "If I Was" (1985), his only UK#1 hit BTW, is a fine song though.

Indeed it will be interesting to read his side of the Band Aid story. (I know what got Sir Bob started, but really know nothing about how Midge came to be involved in the co-writing of the single. There are also other things that pique my curiosity.) I'm really just interested in anything he's got to say about his career. Also, being a huge Ultravox fan, I'd be interested in knowing what the hell happened...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Alice on 09/21/04 at 5:23 pm

I agree! Though I don't think Midge will be able to really comment on the first three Ultravox(!) albums as he wasn't there. We'll have to wait for John Foxx to write his memoirs! (Oooh! Now that would definitely be something worth waiting with baited breath for!)

That is entirely correct, AV! If both, John Foxx and Midge Ure, would write their memoirs, that would be a damned great overview of the entire Ultravox career then!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/21/04 at 8:13 pm

That is entirely correct, AV! If both, John Foxx and Midge Ure, would write their memoirs, that would be a darned great overview of the entire Ultravox career then!

Oh, if only it would happen! Maybe Mr. Foxx might decide to sit down and write the story of his life. I'd love that! I've read in articles about and interviews with him (plus a really good interview with Warren Cann) how Ultravox came into fruition, but I think the rest of the story of John's life and career would be rather interesting. I'm glad Midge is doing it though. I can't wait 'til this book comes out.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/04 at 2:31 am

Thanks for the heads up, Vile!
I'll have to spring for a copy myself.

Max

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/24/04 at 10:26 am

I'm just hoping I'll be able to find it locally! I'd hate it if I had to resort to eBay or something. They're pre-ordering copies (limited edition signed copies!) now on Midge's website, but they're a bit pricey! I think I'll wait 'til whenever the book officially comes out. :)

Absolutely Vile

Check for new replies or respond here...