inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You know you're an 80's addict when...

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/21/04 at 7:13 pm

You watch reruns fo shows from the 80's just to see the retro clothes, makeup, hair, interior decorating etc.  and you couldn't care less about the plot and what not.  I love catching Saved by the Bell the early years or even the later ones to brush up on my 90's memories.  And today while watching Who's the Boss, I saw some incredible dusty rose formica end tables, ahhhh...oh and I also browse vintage 80's fashion on ebay on a weekly basis too. Ok here's another...my favorite excercise video is an aerobics dvd burned from a vhs from 1984, 4 more, 3 more, 2 more other side, the 80's was the genisis of aerobics, got to love those striped french cut leotards with the skinny waist belt and leg warmers...

And you...your guilty 80's pleasures?

Subject: Re: You know you're an 80's addict when...

Written By: dcs84 on 09/21/04 at 10:00 pm

I know exactly what you mean.  Let's face it once you have seen a film or television show a couple of times the story quickly loses its relevance.  I watch movies for their classic 80's stylings all the time.  Obvious films that come to mind are Breakfast Club, and Ferris Buellers Day Off (I want parachute material curtains and many posters of Flesh for Lulu, and Bryan Ferry).  I like watching the British Merchant Ivory films because of the young British actors like Rupert Everett, Cary Elwes (not MI, but from a film called Another Country), and Julian Sands, and Hugh Grant.  I'm male, and heterosexual, but just really appreciate that classic borderline androgynous look.

From 'Big', and 'Coming to America' I just have to find a Empire State Building Lamp, from Back to the Future I need a Delorean,  I want to buy a classic synthesiser (the new strataverius).  I could go on and on.  I already have two vintage "Frankie Say" shirts. 

One thing though, if it were one area the 80's let itself down a little it was in interior decor.  Two things I like though: Large indoor plants, and glass bricks.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/21/04 at 10:30 pm

dcs84, I mean this in the most modest way deemable, as I'm a married woman, but I bet we'd have a blast together watching movies from the 80's, observing fashion and decour.  Do you have an interest in interior design?  My parents have the 80's glass bricks in their bedroom and believe it or not I can't remember if they have it in the hallway anymore, I think they do though.  I'm too busy chasing my toddler and hoping he doesn't break her chotchkas(sp).  I also dig the indoor plants.  What 80's tv shows do you remember that you just crave to watch for the stylistic memories?  I have too many to list!  And believe it or not I can't remember the name of a few.  One I am obssessed with though is Double Trouble with the Sagal twins.  I hope you stick around here, I'll be looking for your posts.  I don't know if your name is a reference to 1984, but that is the one year from the 80's that I am most obssessed with too, 1984-85, when I was in junior high.  ok, gotta go dh needs the computer.  oh and lol about your "I'm a heterosexual male" comment.

Written By: dcs84 on 09/22/04 at 10:31 am

Hysteric et vous,

Yes indeed.  I do watch 80's televisual discourse for all that it offers.  I like to watch Family Ties because the interiors displayed in the Keating household were so lush, and thoroughly middle class, I guess I could relate, at least until the camera panned across to what now seems like the oldest sound system in the world.  Also, weren't the christmas specials 'to die for'.  The Alf one in the mountains comes to mind, and any on Family Ties, Happy Days, or Growing Pains.

Some of the other interior decorating touches that I like were the use of coloured light bulbs, you know greens, and blues, and pinks.  And faux blow up plastic palm trees, and neon lights.  I'm babbling.

There was an Australian band in the 80's called "Mental as Anything", and the lead singer was recently interviewed (god knows what for) and he described the 80's thus "In the 80's, and this may sound strange, everything seemed so modern".  I guess this is still how I view the 80's it was such a modern colourful time.

Uncanny, my title is a reference to 1984, isn't it a truly great year.  I was in eighth grade and it was the perfect time when everything was still, somewhat, tinged with innocence.  To this day the height of western civilisation for me began with new years day 1982 and ended with the closing ceremony of the LA Olympics 1984.

Okay enough, or as was said in "Pretty in Pink" I will die of an overdose of nostalgia.

Written By: krakboi on 09/23/04 at 12:53 am

When you can't walk through your garage because it is packed full with the arcade games you grew up playing as a kid.

http://www.krakboi.com/arcades/gameroom.htm

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/23/04 at 7:09 am

All I have to say is...got a quarter?! lol

That is remarkable! I can not believe that?!  How did you ever come to such an acquisition? Do you buy out an old arcade or do you circulate dying pizza pzrlors making your best offer, lol.  You may have Guinness material there, lol.  You may take the prize here my friend, that's just incredible.  Thanks for the pics!

Written By: dcs84 on 09/24/04 at 10:54 am

That is some "man cave"!  I love it, I would, funds permitting, like to replicate the theme or  something similar.  I believe that Ben Affleck has an upstairs room in one of his abodes that has an 80's arcade, I think that you would give him a run for his money.  There is one game from that era you need to add.... Pooyan.....I used to love it, is there a Frogger?  I can't remember from the pictures.  Well done man, a garage is a small sacrifice for an 80's archive, I'm afflicted with the same fever/passion.  Do what I do, just tell everyone who squeals the ubiquitous "You're crazy/the 80's are over/quit living in the past/get over it"  say "Change equals death".  You're a curator, an archivist. 

"There is a war currently being waged between High Culture and Barbarism, I'm on the side of High Culture, what side are you on?"

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/24/04 at 11:02 am

hi dcs84, i think we're posting at the same time.  I forgot to comment last time that I agree the 80's had a certain modern aspect in their decour.  All of a sudden we can make furniture out of formica and we can see through our coffee tables, (glass top coffee tables) and houses were made with the slanted wood strips don't know what it's called but my parents had theirs like that back then.  And windows were trapezoid and other cool shapes.  I still love it, and want to decorate in a modern/contemporary flavor if not a little 80's too!  I think it's cool that you collect memorabilia, go get that Delorean!

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/24/04 at 11:41 am

There was an Australian band in the 80's called "Mental as Anything", and the lead singer was recently interviewed (god knows what for) and he described the 80's thus "In the 80's, and this may sound strange, everything seemed so modern".

Hmm when did Greedy Smith get interviewed? Anyway, he's a mature adult with presumably considered opinons backed by a lifetime in the industry.

The TV show The Panel last week has as one of its guests a 16-year-old girl who ahd been voted off the talent quest Australian Idol. She came across as taciturn, unprepared for being asked questions, let alone answering them, and inarticulate to the point where you questioned her intelligence.

Back to the original comment: what's odd is that in the 00s, eveything seems so retro! ;D

Written By: krakboi on 09/26/04 at 3:55 pm

I have been building the collection up over the last 3-4 years.  Some come from local auctions, others from local collectors, and quite a few have come through local classifieds.  It really is a moddest collection compared to some out there.

I have played quite a bit of Pooyan, and it is very fun and addicting.  I would love to own one someday.

Written By: Buckeye on 11/30/04 at 10:08 pm

One I am obssessed with though is Double Trouble with the Sagal twins. 

Are you familiar with this website:

www.geocities.com/jean_lizsagal  ?

Written By: the80sgallery on 06/08/09 at 3:06 pm

Hello:
We have good news!  Your Empire State Building Lamp from Big & Coming to America has been found!  We have two of these lamps available for sale, one is currently posted on ebay and this was the specific lamp that was used in the movie!  Feel free to visit our website for more information or visit the ebay auction.
Love Living in the 80's,
Ken & Katie
The 80's Gallery
www.the80sgallery.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/Empire-State-Building-Lamp-Light-Neon-80s-New-York-Deco_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ef5680b89QQitemZ270405208969QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

I know exactly what you mean.  Let's face it once you have seen a film or television show a couple of times the story quickly loses its relevance.  I watch movies for their classic 80's stylings all the time.  Obvious films that come to mind are Breakfast Club, and Ferris Buellers Day Off (I want parachute material curtains and many posters of Flesh for Lulu, and Bryan Ferry).  I like watching the British Merchant Ivory films because of the young British actors like Rupert Everett, Cary Elwes (not MI, but from a film called Another Country), and Julian Sands, and Hugh Grant.  I'm male, and heterosexual, but just really appreciate that classic borderline androgynous look.

From 'Big', and 'Coming to America' I just have to find a Empire State Building Lamp, from Back to the Future I need a Delorean,  I want to buy a classic synthesiser (the new strataverius).  I could go on and on.  I already have two vintage "Frankie Say" shirts. 

One thing though, if it were one area the 80's let itself down a little it was in interior decor.  Two things I like though: Large indoor plants, and glass bricks.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/08/09 at 3:28 pm

I am so exactly the same way. I love to watch shows from the 80s and I spend a great deal of time trying to make my hair "big"  ;D And when I get dressed, I do try to put something a little 80s remiscent in it--whether it be crazy eyeshasow or hot pink lipstick. (or frosted mauve, depending on my mood) I'm always playing music from the 80s and I just love everything about it. Though I didn't really "live" through it-- I was born in 86--I am just fascinated by it.

I just miss it and wish I had been born sooner.  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 06/08/09 at 6:18 pm

When you physically hurt those who don't care for the 80's!  ;D

I'm just kidding!

Written By: 90steen on 06/08/09 at 8:35 pm

I watched Heathers (1988 or 1989) the other day with my 10 month old... he was so tired he actually sat on my lap and watched a little bit of it with me  :) and it brought back many memories. I think that movie shows a lot of the good 80's fashions as opposed to the bad and ugly. That was my favorite movie back when I was about 9. Even though it took a few years to fully understand the wild slang terms and words they used throughout the whole movie.

I'm posting this on this thread because it made me very nostalgic and I paid attention to a lot of the fashion and noticed that a lot of what the 3 Heathers were wearing was the type of clothing that was still in style when I was a teenager. My sister and a lot of my girl friends wore outfits like that, but without some of the little late 80's crazes and fads they added to it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/08/09 at 8:47 pm

Off hand, most of my dvds I have are movies, from the 80's.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/09/09 at 6:09 pm

:-[ Right now I'm on Youtube looking at videos for how to get "big hair"  and I"m listening to "PYT" by Michael Jackson.

And in my room i have the ENTIRE SEIRES of "Miami Vice" which I bought because I liked the show, the fashions and I thought Philip Michael Thomas was hot. (then I found out he had an ego the size of Belize)  >:( Can't stand a stuck up man. Well I can stand Prince, but he only comes up to my navel...so.... :D that's the Napoleon Complex.

And I have alot of neon pink in my closet for some reason.  :-\\

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/10/09 at 7:11 pm

When the last few CD's or vinyl records you bought were from the 80s!  :D

Written By: robby76 on 06/11/09 at 5:47 am

... the biggest percentage of your forum post statistics belong to the 80s section.

My posts for the 80s section total 978. Next up is the 90s section with a mere 188.  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/14/09 at 8:18 pm

...when  you think the dress Elizabeth Shue wore in the opening scene of Adventures in Babbysitting (that black and white plaid number) was cute.

I had a red and white version like it when I was two. (in 1988)  :D

When you're looking up 80s videos on Youtube. (watching MJ live on the Bad Tour in 1987)

When you have both the Thriller and Purple Rain albums on vinyl.

When you have more neon in your closet than a Las Vegas sign. (so guilty. I have a ton of hot pink...but purple is my fave color! LOL)

Written By: ILUV80S on 06/20/09 at 6:39 am

... the biggest percentage of your forum post statistics belong to the 80s section.

My posts for the 80s section total 978. Next up is the 90s section with a mere 188.  :)

There are more sections than just the 80's?  ;D  When your iPod holds mostly 80's music and my license plate (see avatar).

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/20/09 at 9:14 pm

...I wore FROSTED lipstick today.  ;D

Written By: midnite on 06/30/09 at 10:17 pm

:-[ Right now I'm on Youtube looking at videos for how to get "big hair"  and I"m listening to "PYT" by Michael Jackson.

And in my room i have the ENTIRE SEIRES of "Miami Vice" which I bought because I liked the show, the fashions and I thought Philip Michael Thomas was hot. (then I found out he had an ego the size of Belize)  >:( Can't stand a stuck up man. Well I can stand Prince, but he only comes up to my navel...so.... :D that's the Napoleon Complex.

And I have alot of neon pink in my closet for some reason.  :-\\

As bizarre as this sounds, I have been watching Miami Vice Season I on netflix recently.
Even more bizarre - its not that bad!!!!!!

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/30/09 at 10:28 pm

As bizarre as this sounds, I have been watching Miami Vice Season I on netflix recently.
Even more bizarre - its not that bad!!!!!!

of course its not that bad!  it was a great show with a mostly great music score!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/30/09 at 10:50 pm

Miami Vice is the best cop show I've ever seen. (With  In the Heat of the Night as a close runner up)

Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were so cool. I even KNOW a guy named Philip Michael Thomas! I swear on a stack of Holy Bibles, that's his name!  :) He didn't look anything like his namesake, but he's a nice guy.

Check for new replies or respond here...