inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help please with some 80's tv show names

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/22/04 at 12:34 pm

There are 3 shows from the 80's that I forgot the names of, and I loved watching these a lot when I was kid with my sister.  I vaguely recall them being on Fri. nights.  Here they are:

1. John Cusak was a teenager and he had a guardian angel that was a woman in her early 40's who maybe was a woman from the 1920's who was a ghost now, only he could see her.  She always wore these outrageous colrful Miss America type gowns or other costumes.  The actresses name in real life was Jennifer and she had bleached blonde shoulder length hair with bangs worn in a center part.  She used to give him advice.  The house had a long and attractive stairwell, it sort of reminded me of the stairwell from Carol Burnet when they would spoof Gone with the Wind.  John had the usual 80's oblivious sitcom parents and annoying little brother(I think).  Anyone know the name or at least remember this show?

2.This one I actually saw on rerun on some cable channel a few years ago, or maybe earlier some time post college.  It starred Jason Bateman and he was around 14 or 15 and smart alecky as usual and he had an older sister, beautiful blonde and a cheerleader.  I remember a checkerboard in the background as the opening credits rolled.  I htink the mom was divorced. Don't remember the name of this one either.

3.Finally the last one that stumps me starred a thirtysomething guy who was an executive and educated.  He hired this hot woman named Mickey, Marilyn Manroesque to be his house keeper.  She was an intelligent ditz and had a soft sexkitten voice and wore shirts that accentuated her busom and suspenders too with blue jeans and white sneakers.  She was blonde as well. 

I would love to know the names of these shows, sure wish there was a way to download old episodes, but that ain't happening at this point in time yet.  Thanks for any help... :)

Subject: Re: Help please with some 80's tv show names

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/22/04 at 1:03 pm

There are 3 shows from the 80's that I forgot the names of, and I loved watching these a lot when I was kid with my sister.  I vaguely recall them being on Fri. nights.  Here they are:

1. John Cusak was a teenager and he had a guardian angel that was a woman in her early 40's who maybe was a woman from the 1920's who was a ghost now, only he could see her.  She always wore these outrageous colrful Miss America type gowns or other costumes.  The actresses name in real life was Jennifer and she had bleached blonde shoulder length hair with bangs worn in a center part.  She used to give him advice.  The house had a long and attractive stairwell, it sort of reminded me of the stairwell from Carol Burnet when they would spoof Gone with the Wind.  John had the usual 80's oblivious sitcom parents and annoying little brother(I think).  Anyone know the name or at least remember this show?

2.This one I actually saw on rerun on some cable channel a few years ago, or maybe earlier some time post college.  It starred Jason Bateman and he was around 14 or 15 and smart alecky as usual and he had an older sister, beautiful blonde and a cheerleader.  I remember a checkerboard in the background as the opening credits rolled.  I htink the mom was divorced. Don't remember the name of this one either.

3.Finally the last one that stumps me starred a thirtysomething guy who was an executive and educated.  He hired this hot woman named Mickey, Marilyn Manroesque to be his house keeper.  She was an intelligent ditz and had a soft sexkitten voice and wore shirts that accentuated her busom and suspenders too with blue jeans and white sneakers.  She was blonde as well. 

I would love to know the names of these shows, sure wish there was a way to download old episodes, but that ain't happening at this point in time yet.  Thanks for any help... :)

1) There is nothing on imdb. Are you sure it was John Cusack? (sounds very similar to the Meatballs 3 movie w/ Patrick Dempsey http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093516/)

2. Jason Bateman was on Silver Spoons for a little while, however I'm thinking it might be It's Your Move. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086737/

3.  Not sure.

Hope this helps.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/22/04 at 1:49 pm

Thank you Rubixgirl.  It's Your Move is what I was looking for!  It makes sense now that there would be that checkerboard thing iin between scenes and in the opening credits then with a title like that.  As far as the other 2 I definitley recall watching them.  The only other details I recall about the first with the guardian angel is that she lived in his closet and that she was for sure from a previous time in history, I want to say roaring 20's because I remember her also dressed as a flapper with the feather in the hair.  I wish I could remember her real name because then I could google her.  She had a made for tv movie about her life that she starred in because she survive breast cancer.  Could her name have Apple in it, I am trying so hard to remember her name, agh!!  I don't think Jon Cusaack was on the show but a guy like him.  Thanks again I appreciate your help :)

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/22/04 at 2:08 pm

Thank you Rubixgirl.  It's Your Move is what I was looking for!  It makes sense now that there would be that checkerboard thing iin between scenes and in the opening credits then with a title like that.  As far as the other 2 I definitley recall watching them.  The only other details I recall about the first with the guardian angel is that she lived in his closet and that she was for sure from a previous time in history, I want to say roaring 20's because I remember her also dressed as a flapper with the feather in the hair.  I wish I could remember her real name because then I could google her.  She had a made for tv movie about her life that she starred in because she survive breast cancer.  Could her name have Apple in it, I am trying so hard to remember her name, agh!!  I don't think Jon Cusaack was on the show but a guy like him.  Thanks again I appreciate your help :)

I think the actress is Ann Jillian and the show may have been Jennifer Slept Here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085038/

I got to say your 3rd one sounds famliair. Do you know any other shows that those actors may have been on? Or anything else?

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/22/04 at 2:11 pm

*screaming* THAT'S IT!!!!!  omg omg omg! You rock!!! I am ear to ear right now!!!!! :) :) :)

Unfortunately I don't remember any of the actors from that show.  ok wait, maybe the guy that starred in Airplane could he have been the man on the show?  I just don't remember, all I remember was her name was Mickey and she was gorgeous.  Thank you so much you're my 80's info hero!

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/22/04 at 3:29 pm

*screaming* THAT'S IT!!!!!  omg omg omg! You rock!!! I am ear to ear right now!!!!! :) :) :)

Unfortunately I don't remember any of the actors from that show.  ok wait, maybe the guy that starred in Airplane could he have been the man on the show?  I just don't remember, all I remember was her name was Mickey and she was gorgeous.  Thank you so much you're my 80's info hero!
You are very welcome. I'm glad I could help.  :)

Found it!!!! http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0085108/
Here's a pic of Teri Copley (aka Mickey)

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/22/04 at 8:07 pm

That is VERY impressive!  I have no idea how on earth you figured that one out when I even got the plot wrong, it was two guys and Mickey.  I did remember two guys in my head but made the other one a friend that would visit, lol.  I guess in my head I only rememberred sexual tension between one of the guys and Mickey, hmmm.  How wierd is it that these shows were such flops, all the same year I think too 84-85 and that is also the year that I'm stuck on!  I thought it was the best tv of all time in my 11 year old mind!  I did think that We Got it Made was a little like Three's Company but that didn't bother me.  What about the Three's Company spin off, remember that one with just Jon Ritter and his tv fiance Vicki?  Wasn't Vicki's dad from that show also the dad from Too Close for Comfort?  I used to have all these sitcoms I loved then, now the ONLY sitcom I like is King of Queens which is on right now, so I'm gonna split.

I don't mean to sound like a major kiss a$$ but you are the queen of 80's nostalgia and info, I am thoroughly impressed and grateful I no longer have to wrack my brains!  Thanks a million!  :)

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/22/04 at 8:14 pm

what?? My show isn't on... :(  some show about celebrities on Channel 2, oh well.  No biggee actually, the premier(ap) of the bachelor where they choose between two bachelors is on!!  My dh comes home late on Wed. because he goes to a computer(read nerd) discussion group after work, and I can't say I really mind, lol, being the master of the tv and computer, lol!

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/23/04 at 7:56 am

What about the Three's Company spin off, remember that one with just Jon Ritter and his tv fiance Vicki?  Wasn't Vicki's dad from that show also the dad from Too Close for Comfort?  I used to have all these sitcoms I loved then, now the ONLY sitcom I like is King of Queens which is on right now, so I'm gonna split.

I don't mean to sound like a major kiss a$$ but you are the queen of 80's nostalgia and info, I am thoroughly impressed and grateful I no longer have to wrack my brains!  Thanks a million!  :)
You are very welcome. I know what its like to try to put pieces of a memory like that together and can't get it, so I was glad to help.

The Three's Company spinoff was called Three's A Crowd. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086816/. Though the father did look alot like like the dad on Too Close for Comfort, it was actually Soap. He was also in some good 80's movies like Private Benjamin and Zapped!.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/23/04 at 9:52 pm

Wow you're good, do I need surgery to get my l :-* off your cyber but or what?  I'm sad about Jack, Jon Ritter's passing.  I thougt he was so talented and far too young to leave us.  I liked that spin off and thought Vicki had such a pretty face and great hair and that it was cool she was a flight attendant, back then we said stewardess.  What was your favorite 80's show/s?

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/24/04 at 7:38 am

Wow you're good, do I need surgery to get my l :-* off your cyber but or what?  I'm sad about Jack, Jon Ritter's passing.  I thougt he was so talented and far too young to leave us.  I liked that spin off and thought Vicki had such a pretty face and great hair and that it was cool she was a flight attendant, back then we said stewardess.  What was your favorite 80's show/s?
Yeah it was very sad when John Ritter died. Can't believe its been over a year. I had lots of faves, but a big one was Growing Pain I had such a crush on Kirk Cameron.  :-*

Check for new replies or respond here...