inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite 80s Fads?

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/23/04 at 8:04 am

What's your favorite 80's fad? Whether it be the Swatch Watch or the LA Gear tennis shoes, big hair, anything?

Subject: Re: Favorite 80s Fads?

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/23/04 at 8:06 am

My Favorite Fad would be  the Metal Hair bands and the Swatch watch fad. I think they are really cool.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/23/04 at 8:33 am

I still think Jean jackets are pretty cool, I don't have one but if I did I would wear it.

Vans are still pretty cool too.  Definelty still loving the 80's music  :D

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/23/04 at 9:11 pm

Puffy sleeve shirts, where there is a puff at the shoulders.  Boy do I love these and would wear them today.  They actually came back in slowly a few years ago and you can still find them on trendy clothes or especially select designer items.  I know Marc Jacobs uses it and numerous other biggees.  I browse 'puffy sleeves' or 'puff sleeves' on ebay and love watching Who's the Boss because Mona, Angela's mother wore them a lot. 

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/23/04 at 9:14 pm

80sFreak or can I call you freak for short, lol, feel free to call me hysteric, lol, do you still wear your swatch?  What do you think about the line now?  They are still making some very cool watches.  I learned how to tell time w/o numbers by borrowing my friends swatch, it was the red green and yellow plaid one that everyone had, wide band, ever seen that one?  Anyway I got a knock off swatch that I just adored and have saved to this day, mind you any and every watch I had through the years made it to the round file but that beauty!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/23/04 at 10:11 pm

video game and calculator watches. i went through at least three of each.

denim jackets and reebok hightops. that was my fashion, there was no other.

anybody remember the back patches that went on denim jackets, there were almost always metal bands. i love those.

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/24/04 at 7:43 am

I liked the Swatches too. I also liked banana clips and the denim jackets too. I liked the neon colors as well.

Written By: 80sfreak1984 on 09/24/04 at 8:11 am

Hysteric I still have my swatches I have about 9 of them and man they are cool. I know I learned how to tell time without the digital watches. I don't like the digital watches now because they are I  don't know, annoying? I mean they beep every hour and it is annoying. I do like some of the new ones but the old one's always just seem to be better. They are the originals. That is another subject swatch watches are coming back. But yes I do like the new but not more than my old ones.

Written By: kylo on 09/24/04 at 8:58 am

I had fat laces in my baseball cleats.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/24/04 at 3:58 pm

I wore the banana clips and I had white L.A. Gears with pink laces.

I also wore a lot of bubble skirts/dresses.

Tanya

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/24/04 at 4:02 pm

Tanya
Those are making a comeback too. Though not quite as "bubbly".  :)

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/24/04 at 4:08 pm

Any type of clothing with bright colors, especially HOT PINK, and jeans with holes in them, usually the knees

Written By: Larry1976 on 09/24/04 at 4:44 pm

Garbage pail kids, by far, was my biggest thing in the 80's.  I also liked the "hanging suspenders" look since we're on fashion.  You know, where you clip them to your beltline and let them drape down each side of your hips??

I also miss the t-shirt and blazer look (like miami vice) and the bandanas around the knee, and the mismatched shoe fad.

Written By: KimberIndy on 09/25/04 at 9:34 pm

I owned zillions of those thin, black rubber bracelets. My sister was the leg warmer queen, but I steered clear of those.  ;)

Written By: krakboi on 09/26/04 at 4:14 pm

Put me down for swatches as well.  I still wear one.

My favorite fad of the 80s would be arcade games though.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/28/04 at 10:45 am

Swatch watches, jean jackets, ripped jeans, those rubber friendship bracelets, calculator watches...

Any of the stuff that could still look cool if the 80s made a full force come back are my favorite 80s fads.  The stuff that will always look eternally retarded should just be left to die with the 80s.

Written By: Marian on 09/28/04 at 8:34 pm

;DMarilyn Monroe -type jeans,with high waist and ankle-length.Coming back into style now--kiss those low-rises goog riddance!!!Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 09/29/04 at 7:14 pm

big hair & punk style
baggy jeans
blue jean jackets

Howard

Written By: goodsin on 10/02/04 at 10:49 am

Baggies- like a baggy version of bondage trousers, loads of zips & buckles (used to hurt a lot if you fell over in them).

Psychobilly haircuts- like flat-tops with exaggerated quiffs. I once saw a guy who had a standard flat-top, but with a 6-inch long 'horn' of hair sticking out horizontally from the front of his head.

Goths- I think they may have been around from the 70's (Bauhaus were one of the main "Gothic" groups, and they started in the late 70's) but reached their peak in the 80s; long black boots & coats, long dyed hair, motif-ed T-shirts (often ripped, with more than one worn on top of the other),piercings (although not as many as today, mainly ears & noses), chains (not bling ones), eye-liner....and that was just the males...(reading that back, it sounds very much like Marilyn Manson's wardrobe...)

Deely-boppers- can't remember if they started in the 80's but certainly people saw fit to wear them. Basically, they were a headband with two springs attached, with polystyrene balls attached to the other end- a bit like an insects' antennae. Daft, but people did wear them...

Puffball & Ra-Ra skirts- never wore them myself, but I was a fan of them... ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/04 at 7:46 pm

I would have to say watches that had stop watches on it. I used to play a game on mine-I would hit the start button and then the stop button to see how fast I could do it. I think I had it down to something like 5 seconds. Of course I wore the battery out fast doing that but since I usually got the watches for $5 at Target (or is that Tar-jay), it didn't matter.

Cat

Written By: slwoodward2 on 10/05/04 at 10:46 am

What's your favorite 80's fad? Whether it be the Swatch Watch or the LA Gear tennis shoes, big hair, anything?

Stone-washed jeans that you had to roll up or else you just weren't "cool".
Hair with wings
Big plastic earrings, usually in shades of hot pink, turquoise, white, black & white striped (with bracelets to match)
Blue eyeliner
Trapper keepers

Written By: MLB on 10/06/04 at 7:03 pm

folding yer pant legs and wearing 2 pair of alternating color socks. That got my mother going on about laundry. I always had to rotate the pair on the top and change the pair close to my feet. Oh, and wearing dress shoes with your jeans.  I had these little pumps with an ever so slight heel and they had this wicker toe instep? and were just about salmon pink. They sound awful but I loved them because they were springtime colorful and it went well with the pink blouse I had and contrasted to the pink Vans I owned.  They were all leather, like low rise LA Gears, which I had in white with the velcro flaps.  They were Comfortable and not so expensive as other brands!  Oh, but mom worked at the local VANS store too,  :). Score! cheap shoes for us(ie, employee discount)!

Written By: Howard on 10/06/04 at 7:39 pm

dressing up like your favorite 80's musician such as Michael Jackson,Madonna and Prince.

Howard

Written By: goodsin on 10/14/04 at 10:01 am

dressing up like your favorite 80's musician such as Michael Jackson,Madonna and Prince.

Howard

Hey Howard, did you really dress as all those people? If so, do you still have a brocade jacket, a pointy bra and some lovely peach-coloured stuff?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 4:39 pm

Hey Howard, did you really dress as all those people? If so, do you still have a brocade jacket, a pointy bra and some lovely peach-coloured stuff?  ;D

In 1984,My Brother used to take pictures of me acting like Michael Jackson at the time.Back then, I was infatuated with MJ.Today,I don't give a rat's a** about him. :P

Howard

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 01/13/06 at 2:47 pm

denim jackets

anybody remember the back patches that went on denim jackets, there were almost always metal bands. i love those.

8) Denim jackets with band patches all over them
  I wear one today

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/13/06 at 4:31 pm

I wore the banana clips and I had white L.A. Gears with pink laces.

Tanya

I had LA Gear Runners With Leather Bows & Lace Shoelaces - I miss those....

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 7:03 pm

Nike Leather Cortez tennis shoes with the powder blue stripe
Zena or RD Simpson baggy jeans
Hair Metal Bands
cropped tops
capri jeans
jeans that you safety pinned at the ankles to make them even more narrow
the mini heart print turtlenecks with rainbow sweaters
my first leather jacket that I wore all through winter here in Minnesota and it only had a nylon lining.. (I wanted to look cool)
Rock Concert T Shirts
Levi 501 button fly jeans with holes in the butt
Big Doorknocker Earrings in all colors of the  rainbow

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/14/06 at 11:07 am

Jean Jackets

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/14/06 at 11:09 am

I had LA Gear Runners With Leather Bows & Lace Shoelaces - I miss those....

I had those too.

Written By: Abix on 01/14/06 at 3:16 pm

colored mascara,  Electric Blue, Fuschia, Jade Green, Bright Purple
those little beaded safety pins we all wore on our tennis shoes
Rubiks Cubes keychains
Love's Baby Soft
Jean Nate' Bath Splash
Rubiglo Earth Powder  in the clay jars..
Village Lip Licker Lip balm in the little rectangle tins. I Loved those.
Member's Only Jackets
Ski Jackets w/ Zip off Sleeves
Sun In spray on/blowdry hair high lights

Written By: Nesman on 01/21/06 at 8:38 pm

Mesh Shoes
Camoflauge Pants (or Back from Beirut pants as some people called them)
Chip and Pepper shirts (not sure if this was just a Canadian thing ... they were the tie-dyed shirts big in '87)
Neon coloured clothing

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/06 at 11:50 pm

Favorite 80s Fads? My favorite is

FAD GADGET
http://www.newwavephotos.com/FadGadget1/08295FadGadget.jpg

(nee John Francis "Frank" Tovey
August 9, 1956--March 4, 2002)

http://www.newwavephotos.com/FadGadget1/08297FadGadget.jpg

http://www.fadgadget.co.uk/

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/24/06 at 2:56 am

My favourite would have to be baggies. A lot of them were different to the '90s baggies because they had pleats (even if it was denim!), and the legs tapered to the ankle.

The fashion fads that were around in the '80s were fun, like punk and the sk8er boy look. I also thought the way Madonna dressed when she first became famous was cool. A lot of girls copied her style, which she says she invented.

During the first half of the '80s there was the Nintendo "Game And Watch", which are pocket-sized games, but you couldn't change the game.

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/06 at 11:58 am

Paisley shirts, rolling the pant leg in, swatches (I had the one that smelled like banana), jelly shoes. Anything florescent. Those damn shades that looked like half open window blinds. :)

Written By: Watcher29 on 01/24/06 at 2:33 pm

Jean Jackets

This was probably mine too. I wear one now, and the funny thing is I didn't back then.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 2:14 pm

NeW WaVe

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/25/06 at 5:10 pm

Kangaroo Shoes
Arcade Games (especially the smaller versions)
Rubik's Cubes
Wacky Wall Walkers
Pogo Ball
Choose Your Own Adventure books

Written By: STAR70 on 01/25/06 at 6:00 pm

crimped hair

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/25/06 at 11:08 pm

8) Denim jackets with band patches all over them
   I wear one today
  8)Def denim jackets..I had one with a Rebel Flag across the back and tons of buttons on the front..Peace sign, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, ACDC, and many..many others....also Pink high top Reeboks...and my Fave shoes..Checkered Vans..( from the movie " Fast Times At Ridgemont High"..)...And from that movie, my SexWax T-shirt...Parachute pants, painters pants..remember the white ones with the side pockets and loops??..I still wore Bell Bottoms too...The Black eyeliner, from Maybelline..that you could light with a lighter and get it warm and line the inside of your eyes!! SOO much more I just cant remember it all now!!

Written By: ragebass on 01/26/06 at 2:32 am

Members Only jackets
OP clothing
parachute pants
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...