inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 80s music - I NEED HELP HERE!

Written By: Karen* on 09/24/04 at 11:05 am

Basically, I urgently need some knowledge about the 80s music.  :-\\
Because of the project iam doing now, the topic is on Music and Iam suppose to search up on the 80s. But iam not very sure about it.

I'ld like to know whats the trend of the 80s? Like, what kinda music? rock 'n' roll? jazz? i've got no idea!
And list me some of the superstars' name?

This would give me a brief idea and a good start for my proj.
I need ALL of your help! Because i believe you have a better knowledge of this than iam.
ThankYou all!!  :)

Subject: Re: The 80s music - I NEED HELP HERE!

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/24/04 at 11:34 am

Here's a good link...
http://www.inthe80s.com/music.shtml

Written By: Niko101 on 09/24/04 at 1:13 pm

"I'ld like to know whats the trend of the 80s? Like, what kinda music? rock 'n' roll? jazz? i've got no idea! And list me some of the superstars' name?"

Well, that's not really an easy question to answer. When you think about current music, you can put most of it into labels: Pop, R&B, Rap, "Alternative" (wink, wink), Rock, Techno (house, trance, breaks, jungle, d&b, etc.), Jazz, Classical, etc. The same was true then. There were those of us that preferred New Wave/Alternative/Electronic, Heavy Metal, Pop/Top 40, early Rap, etc. There wasn't any one category to put the entire decade into. Here's a few artists for some of the classifications that might help you out:

Pop/Top 40: Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, George Michael, Expose, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie, Gloria Estefan

Heavy Metal/Hard Rock: Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, ACDC, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Poison, Warrant, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Heart, Metallica, Queen

Rap: Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Grandmaster Flash, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Public Enemy, Wee Papa Girls, Salt N Pepa, MC Lyte, De La Soul, Black Sheep, A Tribe Called Quest, Digable Planets, Ice-T, LA Dream Team

Alternative/Punk/Modern Rock: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Blondie, Ramones, the Clash, INXS, Psychedelic Furs, Echo & the Bunnymen, Tears For Fears, Love & Rockets, the Smiths

Ska: Fishbone, the Specials, Madness, English Beat, Selector

Industrial: Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Ministry, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Revolting Cocks, Front Line Assembly, Nine Inch Nails

New Wave/Progressive Electronic: Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran, the Cure, New Order, A Flock Of Seagulls, Berlin, Missing Persons, OMD, Yaz, ABC, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Culture Club, Wham!, Eurythmics

Of course, if you want to do a report on one artist, I suggest David Bowie. He created a variety of different sounds in the 80s. Some of it was more New Wave-ish, but most of it was Modern Rock/Alternative. Hope this helps you out a bit. If you need/want any more advice regarding the last 4 categories, let me know. Depending on your due date, I might be able to burn some tracks for you. Good luck!  :)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/24/04 at 7:13 pm

Don't forget Cyndi Lauper, New Kids on the block (big time boy band the NSYNC of the 80's), Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, very pop!

Alot of hairbands like Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Skid row... were very popular.

I am a 80's child and I loved all the above mentioned plus Michael Jackson, Goerge Michael, Whitney Houston, Cher, Wham, and tons more. 

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/24/04 at 7:15 pm

Another thing I could add is that Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson were idols to us back then and now they are frowned upon  ???
I still like them but they have gotten strange!

Written By: crybabygirl07 on 09/26/04 at 6:43 pm

I did a project too! What a coincidence. Well some that i heard about were like Motley Crue, Ozzy,duran duran, pink floyd, beastie boys, cher, dolly parton, u2, van halen, def leopard, michael jackson, ac/dc, bon jovi, madonna, and depeche mode. So I hope you get somewhere with those> Good luck!

Written By: Lillbrown on 09/26/04 at 9:27 pm

Pop songs with names as the titles were huge, also.

Sara by Starship
Nikita by Elton John
My Michelle by Guns N Roses
Amanda by Boston
867-5309 (Jenny) by Tommy Tutone
My Sharona by The Knack
Carrie by Europe
Kayleigh by Marillion

I suppose you could consider that a fad, although it took place before the 80's, and certainly is still going on, now, it just seemed more predominant during the 80's. 

Also there was a predominant theme of guns, knives, and violence in music, particularly in heavy metal, but in other gendres of music, as well.

Band names: Guns and Roses, L.A. Guns, 38 Special

Song quotes: "Time won't heal your broken gun"  from L.A. Guns The Ballad of Jayne
"Shot through the heart and you're to blame"  from Bon Jovi's You Give Love a Bad Name
"He was stopped on a dime with a switch blade knife" from Motley Crue's On With the Show
"Cuts like a knfe" by Bryan Adams
"You strutting into town like you're slinging a gun" from Cher's Just Like Jesse James
"Hot Razors in my Heart" by Crack the Sky

Check for new replies or respond here...