inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can someone help me identify this toy?

Written By: francy on 09/26/04 at 8:22 pm

hi there,

i'm searching and searching for a toy, and i can't find any inkling of it in the "google world."  maybe you can help.

it was a kind of yo yo.  it was a hard plastic ball (about the size of a pool ball), and it had an elastic cord connected to it.  the cord would recoil back into the ball as you made it go up and down (that is, it didn't just stay out in the style of a punch bag)).  thus, you really felt like you were yo yo-ing when you used it.  my young son cannot work a yo yo, and i would dearly love to find one of these for him.  i had so much fun with mine.  the ball always recoiled back into my hand.  i felt like a pro!

thanks so much!
francy

Subject: Re: Can someone help me identify this toy?

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/26/04 at 8:55 pm

omg, I remember using this yo yo too as I was a complete yo yo spaz.  But I'm sorry the memory is vague and I just don't remember the name or much of any details related.  I'll check out vintage 80's yo yos or just vintage yo yo on google or ebay.  Good luck!

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/26/04 at 9:02 pm

I remember those..but I think they are more recent...not 80's.

A cousin of mine got one for Christmas like 2 years ago.  It was exactly like you said...a plastic ball with a elastic string and a ring on the end for your finger.  And you could throw it and it comes back to you like a yo yo.

I'm sure they got it at walmart or toys r us.  I have no idea though.  ???

Written By: francy on 09/27/04 at 1:01 am

oh, that would be great if they are still around.  i definitely had mine in the 80's...let's see..about 23 yrs. ago.

i tried walmart and toysrus online, but didn't find anything.  i'll have to check the store.  i want to get one for my son sooooooo much.  he is very frustrated by a regular yo yo (he is only 3), and he wants to yo yo so badly.

thanks for your help!

Written By: Stereofonic on 09/27/04 at 1:39 am

I am going to visit my parents this weekend and will search.. I know I have one.  I used to collect yo-yos in my childhood.  I will post here with my findings and I will sell it cheap because it's going to a child.  I will look hard.  Wish me luck.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/27/04 at 6:58 am

there called yo-balls! my friends and i used to hit each other with them. i had numerous black eyes and bleeding noses from those darn things....*flashback to 80s. curls up in a ball, whimpering in pain*

EDIT: i just did a search, type in yo yo balls...apparantly, some protection groups are calling for a ban on the yo yo balls...choking hazards.

Written By: francy on 09/27/04 at 12:25 pm

i saw that too.  but those are different.  water filled, and with a gummy cord that stretches to 6 feet.

i'll go search for yo ball.

thanks!

good luck stereophonic!

Written By: francy on 09/27/04 at 12:36 pm

i found one, i found one!!!!!! they are still being made.

i'm not sure if this link will work.

11 bucks.  eesh.  prices have gone up since the 80's.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:pW6YjRl03eoJ:216.46.251.197/yoyoball.htm+%22yo-yo+ball%22+-water+-mama+-strangle+-liquid&hl=en

Check for new replies or respond here...