inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELP!!Outfit emergency!

Written By: Ashley on 09/27/04 at 9:38 pm

Ok ...Im a Senior in high school and totally love the 80s...this weds is blast from the past day for spirt week and my mom says my outfit is totally not 80s...I cut a sweat shirt like in flashdance and did splatter paint in different colors all over the front and a purple tank top underneath it , I have credit card earrings like in Earth girls are easy, I'm dying a white skirt hott pink and wearing lime green bike shorts underneath so the bottoms show, then I'm wearing my white chuck taylors with pink legwarmers..oh and big hair...if there are any tips on how to get hair to get really 80s big I would appericate it..I've been putting alot of mouse in it and some gel then defusing it and using a pick and cripping it a little...thanks so much for any advise. :)

Subject: Re: HELP!!Outfit emergency!

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/27/04 at 10:11 pm

wow sounds like fun and your outfit sounds creative albeit a lot going on, lol!  I remember the look of bicycle shorts peeping out of a flarey type skirt and a tank top or spandexy top on top the whole look is very fitted and the midriff is usually exposed think Jennie Garth on 90210.  If you go with the flashdance top then you could pair that with a micro mini with leggings underneath and maybe legwarmers too, but i don't know if it goes with the skirt and peekaboo shorts kind of difft timesin the 80's.  flashdance tops were early 80's and the bottom of your outfit was late 80's.  leg warmers are also early to mid 80's and were out by the late 80's.  As far as hair you could do a scrunchy where you pull some hair from the top up high on your head and off to the side and the rest hangs down.  Or you could blow dry your hair so that the part by the ear sticks out a bit, very Brooke Shields circa 1985, the way to do this is to hold the brush in one hand and blower in the other and then hit it with some spray(we loved aqua net and stiff stuff).  Have fun I bet you'll look great!

Written By: ashley on 09/27/04 at 10:13 pm

Thanks so much.... :)

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/27/04 at 10:30 pm

You know I'm brainstorming here and I think the bike shorts peeking out of the mini skirt thing was at best 1989 it may have been an early 90's look.  But the spandex mini also called micro mini was definitely a solid 80's item!  It's a mini that hits the mid thigh and is waaaaaay tight made of spandex or lycra and cotton.  I wore mine with flats that coordinated and a tank top bra and a cotton blazer or a sweatshirt that had a boatneck and a coodinating tank that showed.  And slouch socks were in then too. 

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/28/04 at 9:22 am

Sounds pretty 80's to me.  Especially the crimping of the hair!

Check for new replies or respond here...