inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spinoff thread: What 80's movies should have had sequels?

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/27/04 at 10:26 pm

you guys really nailed those lousy sequels in that other thread.  Curious to see what you think shoulda had a sequel?

I think a Ferris Beuler 2 would have been neat.  Call it 'Ferris takes another Day' he could be working now and we see his antics as he plays hookey from a day at the office.

Also Splash 2 maybe, I just loved the first and would have liked to see what kind of kids they made lol.

Anyone, Anyone, Ferris?

Subject: Re: Spinoff thread: What 80's movies should have had sequels?

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/28/04 at 8:10 am

They also had a bad habit in the 80's to follow up movies w/ tv series. i.e. Ferris, Working Girl, etc.

But if they could've pulled it off I would've loved to seen a sequel to Heathers and Breakfast Club.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/28/04 at 8:42 am

I agree that The Breakfast Club should have had a sequel.  I'd also have liked to have seen what became of Lloyd Dobbler & Diane Court, so Say Anything 2 would've been cool.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/28/04 at 9:20 am

I always wanted a sequeal to Dirty Dancing.  I saw a show where they said they tried and tried to make one but nothing seemed to fit, so they didnt do it.  They knew it would be a bomb and didnt want to ruin the original.

But I did see Havana nights and its not a sequel at all, kindof like a remake, a different time, place, and people.  I liked it and it dosent ruin my love for the 1st one.  :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/28/04 at 9:57 am

red dawn!...just kidding.

blade runner. i know theres a sequal that came out in a book. i loved that movie's dark atmosphere and it would have made an awesome sequal.

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/29/04 at 12:03 am

They also had a bad habit in the 80's to follow up movies w/ tv series. i.e. Ferris, Working Girl, etc.

But if they could've pulled it off I would've loved to seen a sequel to Heathers and Breakfast Club.

As usual Rubixgirl, you make a great point!

Written By: karen on 09/29/04 at 7:15 am

Also Splash 2 maybe, I just loved the first and would have liked to see what kind of kids they made lol.

I read this and thought I remembered seeing a sequel on TV ages ago.  I searched imdb.com and found this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096159/

Splash, Too is the sequel but it was a made for TV film which probably explains why you haven't seen it.

Written By: Frank Rizzo on 09/29/04 at 1:17 pm

You cant sequal classics.  Look at what they did to Jaws, Blues Brothers and spin offs like Ferris Bueller to tv.  NO people........We have one Planes Trains and Automobiles, ONE Uncle Buck and ONE breakfast club....Lets enjoy the ones we have and laugh at the trash they put out today!

Written By: Niko101 on 09/29/04 at 1:38 pm

I was at http://www.hsx.com not too long ago working on my fake portfolio, when I came across something on this topic. It seems that there could possibly be another Breakfast Club film. The hold-up is that "they" (I'm assuming John Hughes) cannot decide whether it should be a remake or a sequel. Either way, I think they should just leave it alone. I saw a possible sequel listing for Beetlejuice, too. There is no immediate plan for either of these to be made, so no worries for now.

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/29/04 at 2:38 pm

You cant sequal classics.  Look at what they did to Jaws, Blues Brothers and spin offs like Ferris Bueller to tv.  NO people........We have one Planes Trains and Automobiles, ONE Uncle Buck and ONE breakfast club....Lets enjoy the ones we have and laugh at the trash they put out today!

I agree classics should be left alone. But I think when you really like a movie you kind of wonder how your characters would develop, however w/ Hollywood being Hollywood, ALOT of times they mess it up and do it as a marketing tool.

I hadn't heard about the Breakfast Club remake, I knew there was "supposed" to be a follow up to 16 Candles called 32 Candles.

Its such a fine line though...some sequels have done the original justice and followed through in a great way.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/04 at 7:09 pm

or how about should've had another sequel:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Monster's Inc 2
RoboCop 4 or 5
Rocky 6

Howard

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 7:21 pm

E.T.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Amadeus 2: The Execution of Salieri (who cares if he was old as dirt)
10 to Noon (Charles Bronson sequel to Ten to Midnight)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/29/04 at 7:23 pm

E.T.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Amadeus 2: The Execution of Salieri (who cares if he was old as dirt)
10 to Noon (Charles Bronson sequel to Ten to Midnight)

ET 2: elliot's revenge....sorry, i couldn't help it. :-[

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/29/04 at 8:31 pm

I dont see how there could be a (good) Breakfast Club sequel.  The heart of the movie was how they were in their own little world together that day in detention.  They got out, the movie was over, back to reality.  What else could they do for a sequel?  Have another detention with new kids, maybe doing slightly different things this time but trying to recreate the moment, maybe even having Brian as principal and Bender as janitor or something like that?  Or maybe something with the original members but just about what they might be up to nearly 20 years later?  That might be nice but theyd just find replacement actors and actresses anyway.  I think, along with just about any other original movie, that its better just left alone.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/04 at 8:48 pm

I dont see how there could be a (good) Breakfast Club sequel.  The heart of the movie was how they were in their own little world together that day in detention.  They got out, the movie was over, back to reality.  What else could they do for a sequel?  Have another detention with new kids, maybe doing slightly different things this time but trying to recreate the moment, maybe even having Brian as principal and Bender as janitor or something like that?  Or maybe something with the original members but just about what they might be up to nearly 20 years later?  That might be nice but theyd just find replacement actors and actresses anyway.  I think, along with just about any other original movie, that its better just left alone.

They could call the sequel "The Dinner Club". ;D

Howard

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/30/04 at 9:13 am

or how about should've had another sequel:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Howard
There was  sequel called Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101452/

Written By: RojoP on 09/30/04 at 10:54 pm

Excellent choice.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/04 at 7:41 pm

Footloose 2
Flashdance 2

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/04 at 7:49 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Cat

Written By: Koop on 10/03/04 at 10:09 pm

I can think of a couple of films where a sequel was promised, but never delivered.....

History of the World Part II
The Wrath of Mom (from Doctor Detroit)
Tourista (from Making the Grade)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/04 at 11:29 am

I can think of a couple of films where a sequel was promised, but never delivered.....

History of the World Part II
The Wrath of Mom (from Doctor Detroit)
Tourista (from Making the Grade)

You are right about that (but never saw the third one on your list). The other 2 probably would have been funny-even though the orignals are classics.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/04/04 at 6:06 pm

La Bamba 2
Back To The Future 4

Howard

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/01/04 at 12:37 pm

I know that The Secret of NIMH had a couple of sequels but they were lackluster at best.

A well written sequel should still be made.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 7:08 pm

My choices for films that should had sequels:

Blade Runner
The Thing
E.T. 
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 8:05 pm

Back To The Future 4
Problem Child 3
Teen Wolf Also

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/01/04 at 8:09 pm

Back To The Future 4
Problem Child 3
Teen Wolf Also

Howard

Ummm.. it's done already....  ::)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114188/

Problem Child and Problem Child 2 where bad movies (in my opinon) to begin with.  ::)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 8:11 pm

Ummm.. it's done already....  ::)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114188/

Problem Child and Problem Child 2 where bad movies (in my opinon) to begin with.  ::)  ;D

I meant Problem Child 4 or a Teen Wolf Also.

Howard

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/02/04 at 4:09 pm

La Bamba 2
Back To The Future 4
Howard

Are you nuts? What would happen in La Bamba 2, Ritchie Valens comes back from the dead? It was a true story!

As much as I would've loved more BTTF movies, I don't see where else the storyline could go once Marty was reunited with Jennifer, I married Clara, The future we saw was erased, and the Dolorean was destroyed. Although at the end, Marty & Jen could've hopped aboard and rode with me on the Time-Train! Maybe someone else has an idea? Let us know!

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/02/04 at 4:26 pm

There WAS a short lived BTTF cartoon series. :P

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 4:44 pm

Are you nuts? What would happen in La Bamba 2, Ritchie Valens comes back from the dead? It was a true story!

As much as I would've loved more BTTF movies, I don't see where else the storyline could go once Marty was reunited with Jennifer, I married Clara, The future we saw was erased, and the Dolorean was destroyed. Although at the end, Marty & Jen could've hopped aboard and rode with me on the Time-Train! Maybe someone else has an idea? Let us know!

Your Pal,
Doc

You're right Doc.La Bamba 2 would suck.So I guess you could nix that idea but as for Back To The Future 4,Marty could go way back 1000 years in the future or 1000 years in the past. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 4:48 pm

Revenge of The Nerds 4 Or 5
The Breakfast Club could be entitled The Dinner Club?
Say Anything could be entitled Say Everything?

Howard

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/05 at 10:37 pm

Streets of Fire II: Raven's Return  ;D

Actually, if they ever did do a Streets of Fire 2, I'd definately go see it  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/05 at 1:48 pm

"Blue Velvet" should hav had a prequel in which you got to see how Frank Booth and his gang of dope fiends kidnap nightclub singer Dorothy Vallens and her family.

The E.T. sequel I wanted to see was the invasion.  E.T. gets back to his planet, and the government grills him and the other botanists about Earth and its inhabitants.  It also turns out their civilizationis on the brink of collapse from infectious disease, and only the Earth plants can save them....but they'll need so much vegetation they'll have to kill off all life on Earth to get it....
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...