inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: (Revised) Worst 80s Song By An Actor

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 6:55 pm

I know a lot of these songs are pushing it a little. (Ex.: 'I Wish I Was 18 Again' might have been 1979 or 1980) If you can find a worse 80s song by an actor, let me know so I can post it on here when I edit. Thanks.

Subject: Re: Worst 80s Song By An Actor

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/29/04 at 7:05 pm

all of the above.

Written By: woops on 09/29/04 at 8:28 pm

All of the Above (except Rick Springfield)

But where's Patrick Swayze "She's Like The Wind" & Jack Wagner "All I Need". Two awful stinkers from actors.  ???  :P

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/29/04 at 8:34 pm

All of the Above (except Rick Springfield)

But where's Patrick Swayze "She's Like The Wind" & Jack Wagner "All I Need". Two awful stinkers from actors.  ???  :P

Isnt there one by Bruce Willis too?

Written By: woops on 09/29/04 at 9:34 pm

Isnt there one by Bruce Willis too?

Also forgot. "Respect Yourself" from Bruce Willis.  :P

Written By: migi on 09/30/04 at 7:55 am

Mark Wahlberg as Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights when recording a few songs in 1983. Great tunes - awful singing.

Written By: Kryllith on 09/30/04 at 8:07 am

Yeah, but Mark was singing intentionally bad in that movie, just like in Renaissance Man. He made his break rapping as Marky Mark (and the Funky Bunch) before getting into acting and actually sings pretty well.

If you want to toss in other actors gone singer, Indy Gent, what Patrick Swayze and Philip Michael Thomas?

Kryllith

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/30/04 at 9:15 am

Mark Wahlberg as Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights when recording a few songs in 1983. Great tunes - awful singing.
But I thought that captured the essence of what 80's actor's were doing by branching in to singing.  ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 4:14 pm

I have added those two. Unfortunately, I had to erase the votes that were already cast in order to make it fair to the voters and candidates. So those who had already voted need to vote again. Sorry.

Also got rid of Springfield, so no whining from Springfield fans. ;)

If you want to toss in other actors gone singer, Indy Gent, what Patrick Swayze and Philip Michael Thomas?

Kryllith

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 4:19 pm

Added that too. However, I omitted the "other" and the Springfield song category because it won't let me post any more than 13 options.   :-\\

Also forgot. "Respect Yourself" from Bruce Willis.  :P

Subject: Re: (Revised) Worst 80s Song By An Actor

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/04 at 7:08 pm

all of the above, although I really did like "Party all the time" by Eddie Murphy.

Tanya

Written By: RojoP on 09/30/04 at 10:41 pm

My vote is for "Party All The Time"

Sorry Tanya

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/01/04 at 9:13 am

Okay, RojoP. I don't see your vote on the ballot. Did you cast one? :-\\
My vote is for "Party All The Time"

Sorry Tanya

Written By: kimmers on 10/01/04 at 12:41 pm

Most of them were tolerable but I just can't stand Rodney Dangerfield.  He's got my vote.

Written By: ElFakir on 10/01/04 at 2:59 pm

Can't be Heartbeat by Don Johnson - I walked past a club house for the law students today, and a female student stood on the inside window sill, washing down a large window, with the top half of the window open. She was rocking, and was generally in a good mood, feisty look on her face, swaying her hips to the rhythm of the song that just started on the stereo (she was stepping up on the sill as I first noticed her). The song that came on ? Heartbeat.

It actually took a few seconds before I managed to identify it, but in the time up till that (say 20-30 seconds), I thought it sounded good. I actually did not loathe it back in 1986 either. There definitively were a lot worse songs by actors. This one should not be pulled down, just because it's so well-known. It sold, and got played, for a reason. The worst ones are already far repressed in our memory banks...

Written By: kslack on 10/01/04 at 3:46 pm

c'mon how can you forget the "Superbowl Shuffle" by the '85 Chicago Bears?

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/01/04 at 5:16 pm

I didn't hate the song then either. I had a problem with Don's voice.
Can't be Heartbeat by Don Johnson - I walked past a club house for the law students today, and a female student stood on the inside window sill, washing down a large window, with the top half of the window open. She was rocking, and was generally in a good mood, feisty look on her face, swaying her hips to the rhythm of the song that just started on the stereo (she was stepping up on the sill as I first noticed her). The song that came on ? Heartbeat.

It actually took a few seconds before I managed to identify it, but in the time up till that (say 20-30 seconds), I thought it sounded good. I actually did not loathe it back in 1986 either. There definitively were a lot worse songs by actors. This one should not be pulled down, just because it's so well-known. It sold, and got played, for a reason. The worst ones are already far repressed in our memory banks...

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/01/04 at 7:29 pm

I didn't forget. None of the Bears were actors. :-\\

c'mon how can you forget the "Superbowl Shuffle" by the '85 Chicago Bears?

Written By: Lanie on 10/04/04 at 9:13 pm

All of the Above

Written By: goodsin on 10/14/04 at 10:14 am

"She's Like The Wind" by Patrick Swayze. Or "She's got the wind", as it should be called. It is nice to see Patrick's acting talents are only just eclipsed by his singing... ;D

Written By: bj26 on 10/14/04 at 10:46 am

Going off thread into the 90s but thought these needed mention - forgot the songs, but Ben Afleck in Armageddon singing to his girlfriend, he couldn't carry a tune and the scene was pitiful.  Also Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she was singing in the bathtub - awful.  Anyone recall the two songs?

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 9:57 pm

I voted for Bette Midler.  I never much liked her

A note:  Light of Day was not actually a duet between J. Fox and Joan Jett.  In the film Light of Day, they play brother and sister in a band called The Barbusters.  Actor Michael McKean also appears on the song and in the film as one of the band members.  :)

Written By: vinyl lover on 11/23/05 at 1:31 am

rappin rodney sucks >:(

Written By: Cafe80s on 11/23/05 at 8:41 am

Probably anything done by The Hoffman David Hasselhoff & to make matters worse one of the judges from Australian Idol helped him produce his music -cringe- -shudder-. Although i don't think he did any songs in the 80s, he is a bit of an 80s icon for better or worse, depending on your point of view & an actor who was discovered in the 80s & is best known for staring in an 80s cult TV show. He is kind of a likable guy though cause he's such a dork & totally oblivious to it & he takes all the Hoffmania parody stuff as if it's the ultimate flattery. It's all really humorous though & i just can't help liking the guy. From what i've heard though his music sucks so bad LOL.

Check for new replies or respond here...