inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Diet Shasta Commercial

Written By: jacklyn on 10/06/04 at 11:10 pm

My son was born in 1980. When he was just a few weeks old, I noticed that he'd  get excited whenever a certain Diet Shasta TV jingle was played. The tune was sung by a baritone voice and began with the words, "You wear it well, Diet Shasta..." Then the singer would sing about all the flavors of Diet Shasta like "Old-timey root beer, etc." while the camera showed fashion models in hats and various outfits.  Anyway, my son was too young to roll over but he'd perk up and try to lift his head each time that song was played. No other tune got a razzle out of him but the Diet Shasta song. I've often told him about the song and he's very curious about it and would like to hear it. Does anyone know where I might find the jingle? Thanks for any leads! 

Subject: Re: Diet Shasta Commercial

Written By: bj26 on 10/07/04 at 7:15 am

Pretty funny story, maybe the commercial contained some subliminal message that only newborns could attune to.  Did you ever notice him kicking before he was born when you might have heard the commercial? ::)

Written By: jacklyn on 10/07/04 at 12:23 pm

Now that you've mentioned it, I somewhat remember him kicking a bit when I'd hear that commercial during my pregnancy. It was so unusual watching a newborn lying there peacefully when all the other music on TV was playing, but when the Shasta song would come on, he'd arch his back and move his head to hear the song better -- every time! I agree that there must have been some subliminal message in that song. Of course he doesn't remember all that but he'd like to hear the song.
Thanks for your note! 

Pretty funny story, maybe the commercial contained some subliminal message that only newborns could attune to.  Did you ever notice him kicking before he was born when you might have heard the commercial? ::)

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/07/04 at 4:21 pm

The Shasta website http://www.shastapop.com/theater.html has several of their old commercials you can watch. I didn't see the "You Wear It Well" one, but it says to keep checking back, that eventually they'll have more commercials on the site.

Written By: Jacklynn on 10/07/04 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the website! I will definitely check it out. Perhaps it will eventually lead me to the tune. Take care!

Jacklyn 

The Shasta website http://www.shastapop.com/theater.html has several of their old commercials you can watch. I didn't see the "You Wear It Well" one, but it says to keep checking back, that eventually they'll have more commercials on the site.

Check for new replies or respond here...