inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Duran Duran Still Have It After All These Years!!

Written By: Hairspray on 10/12/04 at 12:22 pm

Duran Duran, Astronaut - On their first studio album in 21 years, the five original members of Duran Duran journey to a faraway planet called the 1980s, where blithe beats, bonny hooks and pure kitsch can still be enjoyed free of self-conscious irony. Mercifully content not to repackage themselves as a more serious or progressive outfit, the former teen idols serve up impeccably produced guilty pleasures suitable for pop fans of all ages, from the bubbly title track to funk-laced confections such as Bedroom Toys and Taste the Summer. Not all acts improve with age, but some are at least well-preserved.

— Elysa Gardner, U.S.A. Today

Their live performance in New York, today October 12, 2004, was excellent! They've retained their energy and sound as awesome as they ever have. They look very good, fit and are every bit the lady-killers they've always been, as was apparent in the positively frenzied crowd. Their music never gets old. It is always as fresh as ever. Their new material is definitely worth checking out. It's also good to finally listen to some well-made, original, good music in today's day and age. I had almost lost hope. I'm very glad they're back together and already making a great and positive difference in the music industry of today. Hopefully they will inspire a new generation of truly talented and original artists of the likes we haven't seen since the mid 1990's. Way to go guys!! 8)

Subject: Re: Duran Duran Still Have It After All These Years!!

Written By: gemini61 on 10/12/04 at 12:27 pm

I saw them on Good Morning America this morning. They sounded and looked great! I hope they're going to tour in my area soon! Would love to see them!  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 10/12/04 at 12:31 pm

I saw them on Good Morning America this morning. They sounded and looked great!

Yeap, that's the one to which I was referring. :)

Written By: rubixgirl on 10/12/04 at 1:26 pm

Oh, I'm sorry I missed that.  :-\\ I think its great that the orginal 5 are back together. I can't wait to get their new album. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/12/04 at 5:24 pm

Did they retain their Duran Duran sound like they used to during the 1980's?

Howard

Written By: Lanie on 10/12/04 at 6:06 pm

Oh, I'm sorry I missed that.  :-\\ I think its great that the orginal 5 are back together. I can't wait to get their new album. :)

Same here. Missed it too. But I am very much looking forward to the new album. :)

Written By: Bobby on 10/12/04 at 6:34 pm

Yep! They are back in the UK charts once again, Hairspray with 'Sun rise'. I saw them on the Jonathon Ross show Friday night. I was a bit worried about their comeback to start with but their single is alright - IMO it is formulaic Duran Duran and that's not bad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/04 at 8:54 pm

My radio station just got a promo copy from their marketing firm.  I saw it today, but I didn't have time to check it out.  I definitely will tomorrow.  I did look at the inner sleeve.  I like that they're still looking like Duran Duran.  Some people might scoff at middle-aged guys dressing like a boy band.  However, they're not dolled up like today's boy bands, they're dressed more like their true legacy as '80s pop superstars.  I can't judge from the photo how well they've aged.  Airbrushing, y'know.
Oh, when I say "boy band," I don't mean to diminish them musically.  There's a whole raft of their songs I absolutely love.  Anyway, they'd be the last guys to deny the label.  They set the standard!
8)
BTW, should clarify Astronaut is not the first album released as Duran Duran in 21 years, but the first with all five members from their international success of the early '80s.  Can't say original members because the 1978 line-up included Steven Duff, and didn't include one or more of the later five.

Written By: woops on 10/13/04 at 1:41 am

I wonder how "Astronaut" does/did well in the charts.  :)

Unfortunately, I doubt it'll be huge with today's TRL crowd.  :-\\
Since today it's mostly pop punk, rap, and even more mindless teen pop.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 10/13/04 at 6:43 am

I thought it was wonderful and I loved every min. of it. :D

Written By: Alice on 10/13/04 at 3:24 pm

I wonder how "Astronaut" does/did well in the charts.  :)

In the UK "(Reach Up For The) Sunrise" reached #5 position (their biggest success in the singles charts since 1993's "Ordinary World" which stopped at UK#6), while its accompanying album "Astronaut" has yet to grace the charts. It was only released this Monday. Wait 'til Sunday when the new one will be published and check it.  ;)

Other UK Top 5 of theirs so far include: "Girls On Film" (Jul 81; HCP: UK#5), "Hungry Like The Wolf" (May 82; HCP: UK#5), "Save A Prayer" (Aug 82; HCP: UK#2), "Is There Something I Should Know" (Mar 83; HCP: UK#1), "Union Of The Snake" (Oct 1983; HCP: UK#3), "The Reflex" (Apr 84; HCP: UK#1), "Wild Boys" (Nov 84; HCP: UK#2) and "A View To A Kill" (May 85; HCP: UK#2).

Written By: Howard on 10/13/04 at 6:18 pm

I saw them live this morning on Good Day New York and they still have those Duran Duran hairstyles after 20 years.Don't they ever get gray hair? ;D

Howard

Written By: Durania on 10/14/04 at 10:20 am

It's been great hearing/seeing so much about them on tv and in magazines again.  Almost makes me want to start working on my scrapbooks again!
They look and sound great.  My main question is: what's up with Andy and the shades all the time?  On GMA it was understandable, the sun was probably in their eyes.  But he had them on for Regis & Kelly yesterday too. 

Did anyone buy the version of the cd with the bonus dvd clip?  I'm curious to know what the clip is.  I bought the regular cheaper version  :-*

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 4:35 pm

It's been great hearing/seeing so much about them on tv and in magazines again.  Almost makes me want to start working on my scrapbooks again!
They look and sound great.  My main question is: what's up with Andy and the shades all the time?  On GMA it was understandable, the sun was probably in their eyes.  But he had them on for Regis & Kelly yesterday too. 

Did anyone buy the version of the cd with the bonus dvd clip?  I'm curious to know what the clip is.  I bought the regular cheaper version  :-*

Maybe Andy is allergic to the light or something? But,Duran Duran never seems to grow old.Maybe they dye their hair or something to make themselves look like their back in 1983. ;D

Howard

Written By: Jennifer on 10/15/04 at 3:47 pm

;D
I have missed them so much after all these years I am a 80's child and I remember seeing my first concert with Duran Duran and screaming for Johnny Boy the whole night.  I am glad they are back they look wonderful and as exciting as they looked back then. Thank God for comebacks I will be there if they come around here again for a concert tour!!!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/04 at 4:05 pm

I bought the more expensive one (I got to listen to most of the album off of Amazon before it arrived as a result of buying it through them).  I haven't watched it yet, but it's a 45 minute show from Wembley Aud. this year during the reunion tour.

I love the album... a lot of the reviews dumped pretty mightily on their last two albums (and I happen to like Medazzaland better than anything else they did during the 90s) but overall the reaction has been positive in the press.

It certainly helps that the boy bands of today are all manufactured by the labels, and have zero talent.  Duran Duran positively shines when compared with what the public has had to endure on the radio/tv for the past few years.  I've always hated that the press dumps on bands that are clearly geared towards pop and appeal to young girls, but considering what has been passing for boy bands the past few years, ugh, who can blame them.  Duran Duran is better compared to the ultimate boy band, the Beatles.  The Beatles wrote their own music (after performing a lot of covers, which Duran Duran didn't do until well past their peak), and were mobbed by young fans.  They were self taught and not formed by some marketing firm. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/04 at 4:11 pm

BTW, should clarify Astronaut is not the first album released as Duran Duran in 21 years, but the first with all five members from their international success of the early '80s.  Can't say original members because the 1978 line-up included Steven Duff, and didn't include one or more of the later five.

You can say original lineup.  Stepehen Duffy was in the band for a matter of months.  Very little of his initial input made it into what appeared on the original album.  It's like saying Boy George was a member of Bow Wow Wow, even though he was quickly shuffled out of the band before they recorded anything with him.  It's a neat piece of trivia, but it's certainly silly to refer to anything but the lineup of the band that recorded the first album as the original line up.  It's the standard the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame uses after all. Duran Duran is eligable now for the RnR Hall of fame, though I doubt they'll make it anytime soon considering the snobish attitude towards their videos over the years.

Written By: Alice on 10/18/04 at 7:49 am

"Astronaut" debuted at #3 in the UK albums chart yesterday. It is their biggest success in the UK albums charts since 1993 and album "Duran Duran (The Wedding Album)" which got to UK#4 position.

Other UK Top 10 albums of theirs include: "Duran Duran" (Jun 81; #3), "Rio" (May 82; #2), "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" (Dec 83; #1), "Arena" (Nov 84; #6), "Decade" (Nov 89; #5), "Liberty" (Sep 90; #8) and "Greatest" (Nov 98; #4).

Written By: KROQ_80s_Fan on 10/22/04 at 8:53 pm

"Astronaut" debuted at #3 in the UK albums chart yesterday. It is their biggest success in the UK albums charts since 1993 and album "Duran Duran (The Wedding Album)" which got to UK#4 position.

Other UK Top 10 albums of theirs include: "Duran Duran" (Jun 81; #3), "Rio" (May 82; #2), "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" (Dec 83; #1), "Arena" (Nov 84; #6), "Decade" (Nov 89; #5), "Liberty" (Sep 90; #8) and "Greatest" (Nov 98; #4).

Um, that would make it their biggest success on the UK charts since "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" in 1983.

The CD entered the US charts at #17, selling in excess of 54,000 copies in its first week.

Written By: Alice on 10/23/04 at 4:31 pm

Um, that would make it their biggest success on the UK charts since "Seven And The Ragged Tiger" in 1983.

The CD entered the US charts at #17, selling in excess of 54,000 copies in its first week.

Indeed! But "Duran Duran (The Wedding Album)" was the last truly big album success of theirs if we don't count "Greatest" which was a compilation.

I'm pleased to see them doing so well in the US with their new album.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...