inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mtv's 120 Minutes

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/14/04 at 4:50 pm

the only show on MTv that played anything interesting after 1985 ended

http://www.altmusictv.com/index.html

I sure do miss it.

Subject: Re: Mtv's 120 Minutes

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/04 at 4:56 pm

I remember this show! Didn't it use to come on Sunday evenings? Good show - sooo long ago  :\'(

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 5:04 pm

What was 120 Minutes about?

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/04 at 5:20 pm

It was a two hour show showcasing alternative music of the late 80s and 90s. It had different guest hosts each week. It would come on Sunday evenings.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 5:34 pm

I kinda wish that was still on these days.I'm tired of seeing the crap they have on MTV. >:(

Howard

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/14/04 at 8:11 pm

I even taped a few of the shows because it was way past my bedtime. I enjoy all the new and different bands.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/15/04 at 12:27 pm

90's show?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/04 at 3:58 pm

I even taped a few of the shows because it was way past my bedtime. I enjoy all the new and different bands.

if you still have some of those tapes, the people at the above link are interested in tape trades and playlists.  Wish I had taped it, I saw some cool stuff on there when I remembered it was on (though it was so late, I generally never saw it).  Too bad it's gone now that I have a Tivo clone.

Written By: Niko101 on 10/15/04 at 11:15 pm

My two fav shows from the "real" Mtv days were 120 Minutes and Post Modern. I remember when they changed the time on Sundays to 12am. I wrote a letter to the show complaining that I could no longer stay up to watch it. Instead, I had to set the VCR and watch it after school on Mondays. A few weeks after I sent the letter, I received a reply and an autographed pic of Kevin Seal (still have it). Of course, we all know that the time-slot never changed, but it was cool to get a response when I didn't even ask for one. I probably have about 10 tapes of old episodes, but the A/V quality is very low. My dad would only toss me one new tape per month, so I recorded at the slowest speed to get the most shows on each tape. If I knew then what I know now, I would have done it right.  :-[

My tapes aren't worth dubbing/trading, but I think I made some playlists on one of my other computers years ago.

I remember tuning in to 120 Minutes back in the mid-90s and laughing my butt off. Every song was from the regular rotation! What a joke. I've said it before to my friends..."alternative" in current music is non-existent. The only "underground" I know of is in the dance scene (breaks/trance/dnb/etc.).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/04 at 1:47 am

When "alternative" went to H#ll in the early '90s with grunge and that inane Manchester sound, so went "120 Minutes."  That's my personal bias.  I've only begun to like anything "alternative" in the past few years with the evolution of electronica.  Anyway, Dave Kendall was the best, and I didn't care for Matt Pinhead.

Written By: Alice on 10/16/04 at 5:52 pm

It was one of my favourite shows on the original MTV Europe back in the first half of the '90s. It was moderated by Paul King of King fame ("Love And Pride", 1985 single). It was full of great interviews, videos and live performances.

I want my good ol' MTV back!  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 10/16/04 at 6:26 pm

It was one of my favourite shows on the original MTV Europe back in the first half of the '90s. It was moderated by Paul King of King fame ("Love And Pride", 1985 single). It was full of great interviews, videos and live performances.

I want my good ol' MTV back!  :\'(

Well,unfortunately Alice MTV will never be the same as it used to be 15-20 years ago,sorry to say. :(

Howard

Written By: Alice on 10/17/04 at 7:49 am

Well,unfortunately Alice MTV will never be the same as it used to be 15-20 years ago,sorry to say. :(

Howard

I know Howard. *shudders* 10 to 20 years ago MTV meant all, alternative, pop, hip-hop, dance, metal, classics, top live performances...etc, whereas now it only means 5 to 10 constantly the same featured artists like Britney Spears, Eminem...etc plus lots of reality kind of shows that don't have anything to do with music at all. If it says Music Television it should be all about music then, shouldn't it? MTV2 is nothing better either.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/04 at 8:10 pm

I know Howard. *shudders* 10 to 20 years ago MTV meant all, alternative, pop, hip-hop, dance, metal, classics, top live performances...etc, whereas now it only means 5 to 10 constantly the same featured artists like Britney Spears, Eminem...etc plus lots of reality kind of shows that don't have anything to do with music at all. If it says Music Television it should be all about music then, shouldn't it? MTV2 is nothing better either.

I agree Alice.MTV is nothing but crap.Now,they put out a lot of teen garbage that no one really cares about. :P

Howard

Written By: Alice on 10/18/04 at 5:06 pm

I agree Alice.MTV is nothing but crap.Now,they put out a lot of teen garbage that no one really cares about. :P

Howard

Ditto!

I'm watching a whole lot better VH-1 (all of them) these days instead.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/04 at 7:55 pm

Ditto!

I'm watching a whole lot better VH-1 (all of them) these days instead.

You can always turn to VH1 Classic.They have the better oldies music. ;)

Howard

Written By: Alice on 10/19/04 at 5:55 am

You can always turn to VH1 Classic.They have the better oldies music. ;)

Howard

VH-1 Classic is superb!  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/19/04 at 5:04 pm

VH-1 Classic is superb!  :)

I watch it just about every night.I'm addicted. :)

Howard

Written By: Alice on 10/19/04 at 5:17 pm

I watch it just about every night.I'm addicted. :)

Howard

I'm addicted to it as well! Loadsa great stuff from the '60s, '70s and '80s. I have both, the US and UK one.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/04 at 5:22 pm

I'm addicted to it as well! Loadsa great stuff from the '60s, '70s and '80s. I have both, the US and UK one.

You have the UK version of VH1 Classic? How is that possible? ???

Howard

Written By: Alice on 10/19/04 at 5:32 pm

You have the UK version of VH1 Classic? How is that possible? ???

Howard

Yep! Digital satellite TV system, buddy!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...