inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: San Francisco Earthquake

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/15/04 at 7:37 am

The 15th anniversary of the San Francisco earthquake is coming up soon. Does anyone remember where they were or what they were doing when the news broke?

I was at home watching tv (48 Hours I think) when they broke in with that story - I couldn't believe my eyes when they showed the bridge collapsing.

Subject: Re: San Francisco Earthquake

Written By: RojoP on 10/15/04 at 8:25 am

I was away at college watching the World Series with some friends.  All I remember is looking at the skyline of San Francisco and seeing all the fires erupt from within the city.  I also remember looking at the Bay Bridge and the freeway that collapsed (hwy 80 or 880?)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/04 at 1:49 pm

I was in Greece and didn't hear about it until a few days/weeks after.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/15/04 at 5:01 pm

I was in High School at the time so I don't seem to remember it.

Howard

Written By: nally on 10/15/04 at 5:05 pm

I remember hearing about it on TV. The World Series was going on at the time, between the Oakland Athletics and the San Francisco Giants. They had to postpone Game 3 for several days, as I recall. At the time, I was 9 years old, in the 4th grade.

By the way, Sunday will mark the 15-year anniversary.

Written By: krakboi on 10/15/04 at 5:57 pm

I was at home watching TV and hid for cover as it provided a pretty good jolt.  At the time I lived in Novato/Marin County and was a good 30 miles away too.  Saddest thing was that my friend who lived across the street lost her dad.  Her family sat there waiting for him to come home or hear from him and they never diid.

Written By: 80-s freak on 10/15/04 at 7:00 pm

I also was living in Novato CA. at the time. I was on the Cypress Freeway almost everyday before the quake. It was pretty scary but the scary thing for me was all night long we kept having aftershocks and you just didn't know how strong they were going to be. My heart went racing as soon as they started.

Written By: Marian on 10/15/04 at 7:38 pm

:DI was at home in san Jose and it was the biggest one i ever felt.Our house is plac ed so relatively few things broke,but we got quake straps on some of the heavier furniture.Cheers!

Written By: Dagwood on 10/16/04 at 10:09 am

I turned on the tv to watch the ball game and couldn't figure out why Roseanne was on instead.  My boyfriend took me to dinner that night and that's when we heard about it.

I have a friend that was at the game.  She said she was in the nosebleed section and it was the scariest thing she ever did.  Still goes to the games, though.  Rabid Giants fan, ya know. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...