inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anime of the 80s

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/16/04 at 3:38 pm

maybe you saw some of this stuff in your days?(no, I don't mean poke`mon :P) :) Akira, ThunderCats, transformers, project A-ko, dragon ball Z, sailor moon, Gall Force, robotech? perhaps there were a few your parents didn't let you see, or maybe you just plain never heard of this stuff?

Subject: Re: Anime of the 80s

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/16/04 at 4:09 pm

i was a fan of robotech. transformers were only an american attempt at anime, cashing in on the transformable mechas made popular by robotech.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/18/04 at 3:54 pm

oh lets not forget the gundam series. that was when cartoons got a bit more grown up interms of plots, subjects and emotional depth. :)

Written By: Berg Katse on 10/19/04 at 3:27 am

How about Ulysses 31... a French/Japanese collaboration basing the old Greek myth in a futuristic space-age environment.... I loved that when i was a kid in the 80s. Another French/Japanese cartoon was Mysterious Cities Of Gold... that seemed to go on forever but it was pretty decent. They must have been shown in America too - but is it counted as Anime?

Thundercats was great too. Also, even though it wasn't the best version, I'll have to mention G-Force Guardians of Space - even thought the anime is technically 70s, it is the 80s rehash.

Written By: Niko101 on 10/19/04 at 3:36 am

"Back in the day," we called it Japanimation. I guess none of us were bright enough to shorten the name then.  ;) The two I remember the most was Vampire Hunter D and a series called Vampire Princess Miyu. There was many a geek-fest night with some of my friends where we would watch Japanimation, old Samuri/Martial Arts films and play Street Fighter and Eternal Champions until dawn. Big surprise...I was the only girl in the gang.  ::)

Written By: Todd Z on 10/19/04 at 1:48 pm

Tha great Mazinger (Tranzor Z)

Written By: Hairspray on 10/20/04 at 4:16 pm

Tha great Mazinger (Tranzor Z)

Awesome! I haven't seen or heard of anyone else who remembered it as I do. Good to know there's another fan out there. 8) The Japanese call it, phonetically spelled, "Mah-yingha".

I watched most of what was available for japanimation in the late 1970's and early 80's. I enjoyed most of it and it was good to have that variety. Nowadays, most toons seem to be japanimation-inclined, even those produced in the States. No originality and no terribly impressive variety anymore.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/21/04 at 11:10 am

So true.isn't as exciting as it used to be.

Written By: Todd Z on 10/22/04 at 1:54 am

Awesome! I haven't seen or heard of anyone else who remembered it as I do. Good to know there's another fan out there. 8) The Japanese call it, phonetically spelled, "Mah-yingha".

I watched most of what was available for japanimation in the late 1970's and early 80's. I enjoyed most of it and it was good to have that variety. Nowadays, most toons seem to be japanimation-inclined, even those produced in the States. No originality and no terribly impressive variety anymore.
Yeah, you can still buy a lot of those episodes of Tranzor and other shows on Ebay! I heard when they aired it in the U.S they edit out a lot of stuff and change the episode's completely?

Written By: Hairspray on 10/30/04 at 7:48 am

Yeah, you can still buy a lot of those episodes of Tranzor and other shows on Ebay! I heard when they aired it in the U.S they edit out a lot of stuff and change the episode's completely?

I know of the editing but can't confirm the heavy episode changes. I've only been exposed to complete episodes in the English and Spanish variations, not enough of the Japanese to notice great difference.

Check for new replies or respond here...