inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Big Audio Dynamite

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/28/04 at 10:09 am

Anybody remember them?

Subject: Re: Big Audio Dynamite

Written By: Heathcliff on 10/28/04 at 10:22 am

I think my dad has a copy of "E=MC2" somewhere on vinyl... not bad :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/28/04 at 10:48 am

yep. i bought their last album, f-punk a few years ago.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/28/04 at 11:36 am

Yup!

Tanya

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/29/04 at 9:30 am

I remember the name, but not much else  :-\\

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 10/29/04 at 10:35 am

"this is big audio dynamite" was a good start. I think i like it better than their stuff from the 90s.

Written By: Paul on 10/29/04 at 1:16 pm

I think my dad has a copy of "E=MC2" somewhere on vinyl... not bad :)

How that little phrase can make one feel so old...!!

I've actually still got the thing, and my Dad didn't buy it...I did...!!

Did make a promising start (being Mick Jones' first outing after The Clash and all), but it all went rapidly southward soon after...

Written By: MLB on 10/29/04 at 2:16 pm

I don't care how long it lasted I loved, E=MC2 and Medicine Show!  Just for the samplings of the western movies and the "we don't think it's nice of you laughing...duck you sucker, bam bam bam" It tells a story.    Oh, yea well I did buy it on tape, their album and that was 3-4 years ago, and now my stereo is busted and i can't play it at all.  sigh]

Written By: zcrito on 10/29/04 at 8:56 pm

I remember their early '90s song "Rush".
;)

Written By: Heathcliff on 10/30/04 at 8:58 am

How that little phrase can make one feel so old...!!

I've actually still got the thing, and my Dad didn't buy it...I did...!!

...yeah, I think my terminology there wasn't as sensitive as it should've been!  The fact remains that even though I was -1 when the record came out, I still enjoy it to this day - my Dad brought me up on 70s and 80s Music (specifically The Stranglers - scary), yet now he's a big Green day and Blink 182 fan whereas I'm the one who spends his nights listening to Scritti Politti and Tears for Fears. How things change... the song still remains in my "nostalgia list" along with half a dozen Stranglers tracks and an uncharted record by Fischer-Z :)

Written By: Alice on 10/30/04 at 5:11 pm

Yep!

"This Is Big Audio Dynamite" (1985) was a distinctly modern hybrid worth listening to. Taken from it "Medicine Show" rates as one of the best pop songs of the decade. The Clash would've sounded like this if they hadn't split. No doubt!

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/06 at 4:49 pm

I liked their early 90's stuff the best.  Rush and The Globe were awesome 8)

Of their 80's stuff, I loved The Bottom Line and E=MC

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/06 at 4:53 pm

B.A.D. tried to incorporate hip-hop trends into their music. They had some good songs, but a lot of it was rubbish.

Written By: woops on 06/03/06 at 9:38 pm

I liked their early 90's stuff the best.  Rush and The Globe were awesome 8)

Of their 80's stuff, I loved The Bottom Line and E=MC

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 10:03 pm

I liked what I heard of them - 'Rush' and 'm = emc2'. I wonder if they released any other stuff?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/07 at 1:24 pm

I remember E=MC² very well

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/15/07 at 2:57 pm

B.A.D. tried to incorporate hip-hop trends into their music. They had some good songs, but a lot of it was rubbish.

This is true, they were all over the place by the mid '80's. Most of it was bad or missed the target. There were a lot of bands (anyone remember Pop Will Eat Itself?) that were doing similar things.
I did like the energy and direction they were trying to go, you could see influences of Reggae, early parts of hip-hop and rave coming out of their sound. Definitely were the sound of things to come.

My favorite track was Dial a Hitman, from "10 Upping Street" (I know, I'm the only one who bought that album  :-X).
The track has some dialogue between a person hiring a hitman in a phonebooth. He gets a little to pushy and gets the tables turned on him. Listen closely, the voices are that of Matt Dillon and Laurence Fishburne!

Written By: fishryc on 08/15/07 at 7:09 pm

Let's not forget Mick Jones along with CLASH????

When he was 21, he (and Paul Simonon) saw Joe Strummer singing in a pub and asked Strummer to join their new band. Jones said in an interview in 1979 for the NME: "With Joe I could see he was a great performer saddled with a duff band." Simonon later thought of the name of the band (The Clash) by looking at the Evening Standard.

And then:

After his expulsion from The Clash, Jones was briefly a founding member of General Public. However, by the time that band's debut album appeared, Jones was no longer an official band member, although he did play guitar on many of the album's tracks.

Leaving General Public behind, in 1984 Jones formed Big Audio Dynamite (often shortened to B.A.D.) with film director Don Letts, who had directed various Clash videos and later the Clash documentary Westway to the World. The band's debut album This Is Big Audio Dynamite was released the following year, with the song "E=MC2" getting heavy rotation in dance clubs, and both singles "Medicine Show" and "E=MC2" charting in the UK Singles Chart.

For Big Audio Dynamite's second album, No. 10 Upping St., Jones reunited with Strummer. Together, the two wrote several songs on the album, including "Beyond the Pale", "V. Thirteen", and "Sightsee M.C."; Strummer also co-produced the album. Their reunion did not last long, and following that collaboration, the two did not work together again for some time.

Big Audio Dynamite's third album, Tighten Up, Vol. 88, featured cover art painted by the ex-Clash bassist, Paul Simonon. Shortly following its release, Jones developed pneumonia and spent several months in hospital. After his recovery, Jones released one more album with Big Audio Dynamite, Megatop Phoenix, before reshuffling the line-up and renaming the band Big Audio Dynamite II and releasing The Globe album.

In 1991, Jones was featured on Aztec Camera's song "Good Morning Britain", with Roddy Frame.

The band's line-up was reshuffled again in 1994, and they released the album Higher Power under the name Big Audio. In 1995, a greatest hits album, Planet B.A.D. was released as well as a studio album called F-Punk under the original Big Audio Dynamite name. A further album, Entering a New Ride was recorded in 1997, but was only released on the internet due to disagreement with Radioactive Records, their then record label. One more "best of" collection, called Super Hits, was released in 1999.

Pasted it because I couldn't have said it better myself..............................................

Check for new replies or respond here...