inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First CD

Written By: ferrisb on 10/29/04 at 1:29 pm

Does anyone know the name of the first song/album to be released on Compact Disk medium (and when) :-\\

Subject: Re: First CD

Written By: Bobo on 10/29/04 at 1:33 pm

The first CD to be pressed in the USA for commercial use was Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA", the first CD released to the public was "52nd Street" by Billy Joel (October 1982), but the first CD to be manufactured in the USA was apparently a promotional CD called "The Edison CD Sampler".

Written By: ferrisb on 10/30/04 at 12:51 pm

The first CD to be pressed in the USA for commercial use was Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA", the first CD released to the public was "52nd Street" by Billy Joel (October 1982), but the first CD to be manufactured in the USA was apparently a promotional CD called "The Edison CD Sampler".

Thanks dude for the info. Do you know what their prices were? :)

Written By: Alice on 10/30/04 at 5:02 pm

The very first CD ever released in the world is/was ABBA's "The Visitors". It was pressed and issued two years after its original LP/MC release in 1981. CD age started in 1983.

Written By: ferrisb on 11/01/04 at 12:05 pm

What was the best selling CD of the 80's? :)

Written By: Alice on 11/01/04 at 12:53 pm

What was the best selling CD of the 80's? :)

By the time Eighties had ended Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" (1985) was the best selling CD of the decade. Its big success marked the dawn of the compact disc era.

Written By: Alice on 11/01/04 at 12:57 pm

Also ferrisb, Level 42's "It's Over" (1987) single was one of UK's first CD video discs, predating both CD-ROM and DVD.

Written By: ferrisb on 11/01/04 at 2:11 pm

By the time Eighties had ended Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" (1985) was the best selling CD of the decade. Its big success marked the dawn of the compact disc era.

Thanks Alice for the info. I read somewhere that by 1986 CD sales in U.S. alone was over 53 million. What was the average price of a CD in the mid 80's? :)

Written By: Alice on 11/01/04 at 6:19 pm

Thanks Alice for the info. I read somewhere that by 1986 CD sales in U.S. alone was over 53 million. What was the average price of a CD in the mid 80's? :)

You're welcome!  :)  Yes, that is what I read too. The average price of a CD in the mid '80s was around $22.00 as it was a new technology back then. Some resources say that it was $25.00. Quite lot, isn't it?

Written By: ferrisb on 11/02/04 at 11:57 am

You're welcome!  :)  Yes, that is what I read too. The average price of a CD in the mid '80s was around $22.00 as it was a new technology back then. Some resources say that it was $25.00. Quite lot, isn't it?

That's quite a lot but weren't there any pirated CDs available back then? :)

Written By: Alice on 11/02/04 at 2:00 pm

That's quite a lot but weren't there any pirated CDs available back then? :)

I wouldn't be sure but I think there were. But surely not as many as today. CD-R et al were expensive at the time as well.

Written By: ferrisb on 11/03/04 at 1:23 pm

I wouldn't be sure but I think there were. But surely not as many as today. CD-R et al were expensive at the time as well.

What about laser video disks? Were they as expensive in the 80's? :)

Written By: Alice on 11/03/04 at 4:35 pm

What about laser video disks? Were they as expensive in the 80's? :)

Yep! All the technology (CDs, CD-Rs, laser video discs...etc) which is popular now was expensive in the '80s.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...