inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Overrated 80s Artist

Written By: Heathcliff on 10/29/04 at 1:31 pm

My vote goes to Duran Duran.... because.  :)

Subject: Re: Most Overrated 80s Artist

Written By: rubixgirl on 10/29/04 at 1:52 pm

I don't really think any of those bands were needlessly over hyped, ESPECIALLY Duran Duran!  :P(IMO) So, I put other

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/29/04 at 2:13 pm

I also put other b/c these groups/artists were good. I just don't have someone to place in other, though!  :-[

Tanya

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/29/04 at 2:26 pm

I picked Madonna, with Wham! a close second.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 10/29/04 at 6:14 pm

Duran Duran

Written By: Paul on 10/29/04 at 6:31 pm

A lot of the above have had, I think, some sort of valid success...

...but I've never been attracted whatsoever to the pontificating, self-righteousness of U2, who have basically been thumping out the same old song since 1983...

Written By: Lanie on 10/29/04 at 6:32 pm

Madonna  :P ::)

Written By: woops on 10/29/04 at 7:43 pm

Even though a artist is "good", not everyone have to like it. Like Michalenglo's statue of David or that Snow White parody many animation historians consider the greatest cartoon short.

Though I would pick Madonna, but I actually like her material from the '80's.

Therefore other:

Journey...  Steve Perry has to be the worst frontman from the '70'S/'80's. And also not pleasing to the eye.

Whitney Houston...her voice wasn't that great.

Air Supply...The Undisputed Kings of Elevator Music  :P

Written By: nightrocker on 10/30/04 at 12:51 am

I voted for U2 but all of them are sorry! ::)

Written By: Davester on 10/30/04 at 3:24 am

I always thought Night Ranger was overrated with their mediocre brand of pop/rock...no catharsis, no mojo...

Written By: Hairspray on 10/30/04 at 8:39 am

One of the awesomest things about the 80's is the fact that there was, in my opinion, no such thing as "overrated".

Any and all groups deserved whatever attention they received.  8)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/30/04 at 8:44 am

One of the awesomest things about the 80's is the fact that there was, in my opinion, no such thing as "overrated".

Any and all groups deserved whatever attention they received.  8)

That was very civil of you, HS  :)

I say Rick Astley   ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 10/30/04 at 8:48 am

Bananarama

Written By: Frank Rizzo on 10/30/04 at 1:12 pm

Gotta be ABC :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(.  They were just awful.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/30/04 at 1:21 pm

i'd say madonna. why is joy divison on that list?

Written By: Heathcliff on 10/30/04 at 2:49 pm

i'd say madonna. why is joy divison on that list?

Joy Division is there if there ARE people who feel they were over-rated (more so in the Uk than in the US) - I personally don't think they were overrated as such, by compiling that list I just tried to represent a broad range of opinions - there are quite a few on the list I certainly don't consider overrated (Madonna for one, who is clearly winning the poll!).  Basically, I plucked a selection of artists I felt were largely popular during the decade and let people cast their own opinions on them for themselves.  Joy Division was thrown into the mix... I'm not quite sure why, i think it was the first band that came into my head as I worked my way down the list! :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/30/04 at 3:02 pm

Soft Cell....ONE hit "Tainted Love" also Rick Astley  :P

Written By: Alice on 10/30/04 at 4:56 pm

Madonna. Followed by Kylie Minogue.

Written By: alana on 10/31/04 at 5:19 pm

I would say any terrible band from that decade who could not sing or had no plain old talent, I can say that because I am a huge 80's fan even though I am only 13. I would have to say that U2 was overrated because of Bono's political views and how suffocating Bono sometimes can be.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/01/04 at 5:32 am

Duran Duran

They were sooooo overrated, and SOOO campy.  Those guys were the ultimate cheeseball band.  They had their comeback hit in the 90s that I liked, but otherwise I despised their overproduced, synthy 80s music.  :P

Written By: Revolution Baby on 11/01/04 at 8:08 am

Aaaaawwww... boo to FussB and RnRFan!
Rick Astley's voice was unique. I remember hearing it for the first time thinking I'd never heard anything like it coming from a white bloke before, and I'm still a big Rick fan... absolutely love him!
I'll agree with 'Tainted Love' tho.... thought I was the only one who reckoned that song sucked  :D

Written By: Sasha J on 11/01/04 at 7:30 pm

Duran Duran

Written By: Maxx on 01/29/05 at 3:29 pm

No one was overrated. They where just like that, one hit mostly. Consumible music, fun no matter what! style (awfull for these days).
But talkin' about bands like U2, Duran Duran, Joy Division and others they passed across the "one hit wonder", they create they own style, excellent music, complex. better than today's pop or "fake punk rock", more crative.
well it seems that I'm a very big fan of the 80s.
peace & love
Maxx
from Argentina

Written By: mr.smith s on 01/29/05 at 5:24 pm

I say Motley Crue because I mean they are touring again trying to have the same old hype. 

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/29/05 at 6:08 pm

Michael Jackson.

Written By: Eve Orzabal Smith on 01/29/05 at 8:31 pm

I agree with AngeFaitore: Michael Jackson was too overrated for me

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/29/05 at 8:55 pm

FHF Here,

I would say Duran Duran or Bon Jovi.  Both are supposedly the bands you must like to be into their respective genres (New Wave and Hair Metal).

I love many New Wave songs and a few bands, but Duran Duran imo SUCK!  No offense to their fans, but they have boring and/or creepy synths, their lyrics are actually very hair-metal often.  IMO they're part of the reason so many people hate New Wave (the main reason being their haircuts and clothes  ;D  )

I can list at least 10 major Wave bands better than DD. 

As for Bon Jovi, they're good for Hair Metal but I think all hair bands suck except G'n'R and some Def Leppard.
and Europe's Final Countdown 

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/29/05 at 9:00 pm

Duran Duran

They were sooooo overrated, and SOOO campy.  Those guys were the ultimate cheeseball band.  They had their comeback hit in the 90s that I liked, but otherwise I despised their overproduced, synthy 80s music. 

I agree!  Cheeseville!

Written By: woops on 01/30/05 at 1:41 am

Sade... A great singer?  ::)  IMO, she sounds like if Boy George was yawning.  :P (BTW, I like a couple songs from Culture Club)

Written By: WindOfChange on 01/30/05 at 2:44 am

Kylie Minogue. The song that made her popular was a cover version

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/30/05 at 5:33 am

None of them where overrated.

Written By: jiminy on 01/30/05 at 12:20 pm

before you say duran duran don't forget their Australian clone, INXS who by the way are auditioning for a new singer, are you free Simon Lebon?

Written By: Howard on 01/30/05 at 6:36 pm

Michael Jerkson ;D

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/30/05 at 9:17 pm

before you say duran duran don't forget their Australian clone, INXS who by the way are auditioning for a new singer, are you free Simon Lebon?

INXS aren't a DD ripoff in my book.  They're hardly even New Wave.  Cake, they sound a lot like INXS. 

To compare the 1977-1983 New Wave Movement to the 1991-1995 Grunge Movement, DD are like Pearl Jam and Devo are like Nirvana.  DD have some descent songs (i guess  :P ) and DID help New Wave get big, but they're by no means the chief mover of the genre.  I mean Gary Numan, for instance was putting stuff out in 1979.  And while I hate the B-52's with a passion, they were imo more important to New Wave the Duran Duran ever were.

-FHF

Written By: az kat on 02/01/05 at 11:09 am

Men at Work. They were constantly crammed down our throats on MTV.
Even though I was a headbanger I could still understand the appeal of artists that were different than what I liked. I could understand why my sister loved Adam Ant and Duran Duran. I could understand the appeal of Wham, Culture Club, Stray Cats, Cyndi Lauper, and kooky songs like the Safety Dance, Mexican Radio and Come on Eileen. But I absolutely could not understand how anyone could actually like the boring songs that Men at Work pumped out. Kids were convinced by MTV that they were suppose to like Men at Work. Their label must've paid MTV and radio stations plenty for the airplay. What other explanation could there be for such tripe?!  Geez, what a horrid band that was!

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 02/01/05 at 3:20 pm

Hi.  Haven't posted in ages, but what the heck...

The Smiths
Joy Division
Jason Donovan

These can't have been overrated, cuz at least in the US, who were they, and what did they ever do?

The Smiths is probably the most overrated on this forum, but as for at the time - who?

So, I have to stick to acts that actually were known and popular - even if only once.  Actually, it would probably have to be a 1-hit wonder, at least going by your list.  ;)

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 02/01/05 at 3:31 pm

I would say any terrible band from that decade who could not sing or had no plain old talent, I can say that because I am a huge 80's fan even though I am only 13. I would have to say that U2 was overrated because of Bono's political views and how suffocating Bono sometimes can be.

OK, I have to go w/the guest 13yo.  U2, altho I despise Bono's bonehead politics not to mention the irritating fact he spouts it all he can as if he were some expert, I also at that very time didn't like their noise.  I still hate it.  It's just constant, incessant guitar-string vibrating over 2 or 3 chords at a high frequency (rate, not octave).  Never mind the screaming/straining of certain overrated lead "singers".  Lots of noise if you ask me.  Gives me a headache.  They got too much in the rave dept then, same now.  Every1 knew them then, every1 went nuts for them then, they were popular, but they stink.  That = overrated.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 4:37 pm

Madonna

Howard

Written By: woops on 02/01/05 at 5:08 pm

New Kids On The Block

Sure they're a joke, but they were everywhere around the end of the 1980's (1988/1989).  :P

Written By: stingr22 on 02/03/05 at 10:30 pm

That is the most "off the mark" comment I have seen on this board, ever!  ???  INXS and Duran Duran sound nothing alike.  INXS had a sound all their own and didn't have to copy anyone!  They are two entirely different bands altogether!  Where do you even get that?  Have you even listened to either band?  ???

Besides, if Simon LeBon were to tour with INXS, it would be a little difficult to do Duran Duran's U.S. tour which begins Feb. 11. 

Written By: stingr22 on 02/03/05 at 10:40 pm

Most overrated?  I will have to say Twisted Sister.  If it weren't for Dee Snider's makeup and stupid hair, nobody would even remember them today.  Couple that with the fact that everytime I turn it to VH1, there he is with his dumb mullet giving his opinion on something that happened in the 80s.  No disrespect to him.  He seems like an alright guy, but Twisted Sister's music is utterly forgettable!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 02/04/05 at 10:57 am

Aaaaawwww... boo to FussB and RnRFan!
Rick Astley's voice was unique. I remember hearing it for the first time thinking I'd never heard anything like it coming from a white bloke before, and I'm still a big Rick fan... absolutely love him!

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. If Rick Astley's voice was so unique, then why did Jason "I'm A Yuppy!" Donavan sound soooo similar when he tried to sing? I voted for Jason, BTW, can't stand him, never could. Apart from Dead Or Alive, I pretty much hate all the Stockcube, Ancient and Wateringcan clones.
Cheers,
Dee  :-*

Check for new replies or respond here...