inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Purple Rain, best soundtrack ever?

Written By: Frank Rizzo on 10/30/04 at 1:14 pm

Outside of Pink Floyds The Wall and The Blues Brothers, anyone think of a movie that had a better soundtrack than Purple Rain?

Subject: Re: Purple Rain, best soundtrack ever?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/30/04 at 1:19 pm

pink floyd's the wall was released 3 years before the movie came out. as to a better soundtrack....i'd say heavy metal, although purple rain is an excellent soundtrack.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/30/04 at 2:43 pm

I can't think of one of that time that would be better than Purple Rain. Footloose had a good soundtrack. Is it better than Purple Rain? No.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/30/04 at 2:57 pm

EVER? No...what about Grease, Saturday Night Fever....I'll find more next post!  As for 80's "Dirty Dancing"...."Roadhouse" ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/30/04 at 3:00 pm

Continuing with better soundtracks....IMHO, Flashdance, Risky Business, The Big Chill AND The Lost Boys!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/30/04 at 3:29 pm

Mark, these are good soundtracks. However, they only had a couple of tracks that I loved. As for Purple Rain, the entire album was played in my house!

Tanya

Written By: zcrito on 10/30/04 at 4:08 pm

I never cared for Purple Rain the movie or its music. I liked the '80s before Prince and Bruce Springsteen took over the decade. And before Michael Jackson started messin' with his face and acting weird.

Sort of longing for the days before and after songs like "1999","Born in the USA" and "Beat It" were being played. That's why I like the '90s more than the '80s - things were getting back to normal.

Oddly enough the only Prince song I like came out in '91/'92.

:(

Written By: Alice on 10/30/04 at 4:32 pm

I think "Purple Rain" (1984) is a class soundtrack as well as album as a whole, much better than its accompanying movie which seems somewhat untold and unfinished to me. It is melodramatic and bombastic and it catapulted him into the big league. Its standouts are the pulsating hit single "When Doves Cry", the narcissistic anguish of "The Beautiful Ones", and the anthemic title track. It absolutely deserved to be one of the world's biggest selling records of the '80s. Prince never came close to have such a massive commercial success with either of his records to follow later.
I wouldn't know if it's the best one to appear ever ir not though as an objective picture is very hard to tell because there were lots of other as class soundtracks alongside it too. "Saturday Night Fever" (1977), "Grease" (1978), "Flashdance" (1983), "Footlose" (1984), "Top Gun" (1986), "Dirty Dancing" (1987), "Trainspotting" (1996) and "24 Hour Party People" (2002) spring to mind.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 10/31/04 at 3:20 pm

Footloose and Dirty Dancing.  I never really liked Purple Rain.

Written By: kairi747 on 11/08/04 at 8:37 am

Although it came out in the 70's, the best soundtrack EVER would have to be "Jesus Christ Superstar!"

Written By: 80-s freak on 11/08/04 at 2:25 pm

I like the "Valley Girl" soundtrack myself. Just look at the songs and you will see the true soundtrack of the 80's. That soundtrack started the whole thing.

Written By: onaree on 11/09/04 at 7:46 am

I think "Purple Rain" (1984) is a class soundtrack as well as album as a whole, much better than its accompanying movie which seems somewhat untold and unfinished to me.

Actually, there was another movie after Purple Rain that involved The Kid and Morris Day.  It was Graffiti Bridge.  It was sort of a sequel of sorts.

Written By: whistledog on 11/09/06 at 3:18 am

I never really cared for Purple Rain

IMO the great soundtrack of the 80s was "Teachers" (1984).  It was not as big a success as "Purple Rain" was, but it did ok ...

http://www.jackblades.net/images/CD26.jpg

01 | "Teacher Teacher" by 38 Special
02 | "One Foot Back in Your Door" by Roman Holliday
03 | "Edge of A Dream" by Joe Cocker
04 | "Interstate Love Affair" by Night Ranger
05 | "Foolin Around" by Freddie Mercury

06 | "Cheap Sunglasses" by ZZ Top
07 | "Understanding" by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
08 | "I Can't Stop the Fire" by Eric Martin
09 | "In the Jungle (Concrete Jungle)" by The Motels
10 | "(I'm the) Teacher" by Ian Hunter

Written By: Chasey on 11/09/06 at 5:49 am

Good post Alice...and thumbs up from another Jean-Michel Jarre nut!  ;)

I think "Purple Rain" (1984) is a class soundtrack as well as album as a whole, much better than its accompanying movie which seems somewhat untold and unfinished to me. It is melodramatic and bombastic and it catapulted him into the big league. Its standouts are the pulsating hit single "When Doves Cry", the narcissistic anguish of "The Beautiful Ones", and the anthemic title track. It absolutely deserved to be one of the world's biggest selling records of the '80s. Prince never came close to have such a massive commercial success with either of his records to follow later.
I wouldn't know if it's the best one to appear ever ir not though as an objective picture is very hard to tell because there were lots of other as class soundtracks alongside it too. "Saturday Night Fever" (1977), "Grease" (1978), "Flashdance" (1983), "Footlose" (1984), "Top Gun" (1986), "Dirty Dancing" (1987), "Trainspotting" (1996) and "24 Hour Party People" (2002) spring to mind.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/09/06 at 2:17 pm

I am a big fan of Prince and love the Purple Rain soundtrack.  I think it is tied with the Forrest Gump soundtrack - it sat in my player for months.

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/09/06 at 11:54 pm

Purple Rain is the best motion picture soundtrack from the 80's, IMO.

Check for new replies or respond here...