inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need Help Identifying Children's TV Shows

Written By: ethan on 11/01/04 at 11:57 am

Okay, I've been trying to figure this stuff out for the last ten years.  Maybe someone can help me.

I was born in 1985, so I don't remember much about the 80's.  I do remember watching stuff like GI-Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but there are two shows that I don't remember what they were.

The first was a cartoon.  All that I remember was there was a vast array of characters in some sort of crew.  There was some sort of monster truck which was one of the characters.  It had some computer brain, so it was kinda like Nightrider.  All I remember was this one episode where they were racing in the monster truck in some arena, and some other truck laid down some circular saw blade which sliced open the truck's gas tank.
I also seem to recall there being a little segment at either the beginning or the end with some black hip-hop guy (not a cartoon).  I keep thinking it was MC Hammer, but probably not.  This part may have been from something else though.

The other children's television show was not a cartoon.  Kind of along the lines of Sesame Street.  There were some real people, and some puppet thing characters too.  I recall it taking place inside of a museum or something.  One of the characters was a mouse puppet that lived in a hole in the wall.  The only vivid memory of the show was in an episode where the janitor or someone put a bucket in front of the hole while they were cleaning, and the mouse couldn't get out.  I think at the end of each show, they all went up to the roof or something.

If anyone has a vague idea of what either of these shows may have been, please let me know.

Thanks.

Subject: Re: Need Help Identifying Children's TV Shows

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/04 at 12:18 pm

It sounds like a kid's TV show from Canada, called Today's Special, it takes place in a store, and it real charecters, and a couple of puppets a janitor and a mouse, I not sure about the cartoon with the monster truck though.

Written By: ethan on 11/01/04 at 2:25 pm

Holy crap!  I think that's it!!

I'm still looking for the episode that I remember, but I vaguely recognize some of the screenshots, and that mouse looks very creepily familiar.

Thanks!

http://www.schuminweb.com/todays-special/main-page.htm

Written By: ethan on 11/01/04 at 2:34 pm

I think I may have found the answer to my other question.

After trying a lot of different things on Google, I think I finally found it.
The show I came up with was Video Power.

Does anyone else remember this show?  Or can give me more information about it?

Thanks.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/04 at 7:58 pm

http://www.schuminweb.com/todays-special/images/group-photo.jpg

I think I might remember that show. :)

Howard

Written By: gord on 11/01/04 at 10:17 pm

http://www.schuminweb.com/todays-special/images/group-photo.jpg

I think I might remember that show. :)

Howard

:)that picture brings back memories of having a young daughter in the 80's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/02/04 at 12:10 am

I remember that show, it was on TV Ontario (the Canadian version of PBS) for awhile, the mouse, Muffy, was my favorite part.

Written By: lizabeth83 on 11/20/04 at 3:42 am

I LOVED the museum show!

As for the "Nightrider-esque" show, I would read through a list of 80s cartoons with descriptions, and try to find it that way. I know that's how I found a lot of missing memory parts in my head. :)

Written By: tracie on 12/07/04 at 12:26 am

Today's special was about after the store closed at night that lady would put a hat on the manequin's head and say something and he'd come alive.  His name was Jeff...I don't remember her name.  That puppet guy was Sam Krenshaw.  He was always in that room watching the security monitors and I think the mouse would bother him or talk to him or something. 

What were the magic words that made Jeff come alive?

Written By: Rhiannon on 12/07/04 at 12:00 pm

I think I may have found the answer to my other question.

After trying a lot of different things on Google, I think I finally found it.
The show I came up with was Video Power.

Does anyone else remember this show?  Or can give me more information about it?

Thanks.

I think I totally remember Video Power.  Was it a bunch of young kids who got sucked into a video game and were stuck in an alternate universe?  I remember one scene where they were having a funeral because their battery died. ;D

Oh yeah and Today's Special was the best!  God I had a crush on Jeff! ;D

Written By: Webstor on 12/07/04 at 10:35 pm

It was called "Today's Special" and was on Nickelodeon in the early 80's also.

The magic words that JODY would use to make JEFF come to like were "Hocus Pocus Alamagocus"

Written By: tracie on 12/11/04 at 11:17 am

"Hocus Pocus Alamagocus"

YES!  That's it!!!  Thank you!   :D

Written By: Mergal on 12/11/04 at 3:19 pm

I remember that show, it was on TV Ontario (the Canadian version of PBS) for awhile, the mouse, Muffy, was my favorite part.

Muffy was my favorite too!

Check for new replies or respond here...