inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Think "Old School"

Written By: Crazy4The80s on 11/06/04 at 2:44 am

Okay...let's jump back to about 1984 I think...could be wrong....but let's jump back to the days of NES.  :o What games did you play and beat over and over again?  :P AND do you still own a NES?  8) Don't be shy now...
Amy H.

Subject: Re: Think "Old School"

Written By: gord on 11/06/04 at 7:18 am

Yeah, we still have our system, I think we got it around 88, our kids grew up with it. I remember playing tetris alot, mario bros., the kids loved the Roger rabbit game. :)

Written By: joedeertae on 11/06/04 at 11:02 am

Still got my NES too! ;D it's in the attic in a box though :(
Some of the games I played were:
Zelda (favorite)
Dungens and Dragons
Ghosts & Goblins (favorite#2)
720 deg.
Battle Tanks
Battle Toads
there were more but I can't remember them right now.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 11/06/04 at 11:26 am

Yep, I still have mine too.  My 5-6 year old nephews play with it sometimes.  I still like to play the Original mario.

I remember:

Mike Tyson's Punch out
Kung Fu
Super Mario
Paperboy
Ghosts and Goblins
Ice Climber
Top Gun
Wheel of Fortune
Zelda
Link
I had that Roger Rabbit game too! 
Donkey King
Excitebike

I still have most of these and I recently bought Goonies and Home alone at Gamestop.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/04 at 8:59 pm

I used to play Super Mario Brothers and Mike Tyson's Punch Out 15 years ago from back in the days. :)

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/07/04 at 6:54 am

Every kid in middle school would brag about getting past Super Macho Man and then fighting Mike Tyson back in the late 80s.  And if you beat Tyson, then you really had bragging rights.  Then there were the guys who thought they were cooler because they had a Sega.

On a side note, the NES came out in 1985, not 1984.  People still had Atari games in '84.  But the NES did not really take off until 1987.  '87 is the year I remember Nintendo just skyrockted in popularity.  I always thought Nintendo was "the" video game system of the 80s, moreso then Atari or Coleco Vision.  As great as Atari was in the early 80s, Atari always came across as left over 70s technology to me...rather then a true 80s system.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/07/04 at 1:41 pm

Donkey Kong
Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros.
Double Dribble

Tanya

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/04 at 1:53 pm

Yup-still have the system. I bought it second hand what it was just about passe for one reason-ZELDA. My sister introduced me to Zelda and still love it. Now, I'm trying to find old games that people are selling for about a $1 or less. The other games I like are Dr. Mario (which I don't have but I'm looking for it-at a really cheap price) and Dragon Warrior. We have several others but those are the ones that I really like.

Cat

Written By: Todd Z on 11/07/04 at 2:10 pm

Heck yeah, Ghosts N Goblins is STILL one of the geatest games ever! (played it just last week) It's good to see other people mention this game! I remember playing it for the first time in the arcade around 86 and I was hooked! The NES version was almost identical to the arcade.  Some other great games from that time.. Sky Shark & 1942!

Written By: Todd Z on 11/07/04 at 2:33 pm

Yup, good point. The first time I remember seeing a Nintendo commerical was late 86. I remember it having clips of Super Mario Bros. Duck Hunt, Urban Champion, and it also had that Rob The Robot thing that didn't last long.

Written By: KimberIndy on 11/07/04 at 3:54 pm

Yep, we still have an old NES around here somewhere. I used to play Tetris and Dr. Mario, but my favorite game was Kid Icarus. I still get obsessed with it from time to time and go on a playing bender. I don't play any other games or systems--for some reason, they don't interest me at all.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/04 at 7:32 pm

My favorites were:

Super Mario Brothers
Kung-Fu
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Baseball
Basketball
Wrestlemania

Howard

Written By: _adam_ on 11/10/04 at 4:14 am

In past i loved  played NES
Some of my favorites:
Mario
Contra
Super Contra
Force Contra
Ninja gaiden
Green berets
Hockey
Adventure island
Flintstones
Cobra commander
California games
Ninja cats
Prince of persia
Balloon fight
and more

Written By: Jennifer028 on 11/10/04 at 5:02 pm

Heck yeah, Ghosts N Goblins is STILL one of the geatest games ever! (played it just last week) It's good to see other people mention this game! I remember playing it for the first time in the arcade around 86 and I was hooked! The NES version was almost identical to the arcade.  Some other great games from that time.. Sky Shark & 1942!

I still try to play the game too but I suck at it, I cant get past the second level!

Written By: Howard on 11/10/04 at 6:04 pm

Mike Tyson's Punch Out was hard.Anyone remember this guy that you had to beat towards the end of the game: ;D

http://members.aol.com/gallery7v/punch13.jpg

Howard

Written By: PeeWee04 on 11/12/04 at 1:32 pm

I had my NES up until recently, I couldn't get it to work so I trashed it.  I'm planning on finding myself one of the top-loaders though 'cause they were better than the standard front-loaders.  I still have all the accessories that came with the unit.  I still have some of the games too:

-Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
-Rescue: The Embassy Mission (probably the only NES game that I beat...)
-Dick Tracy
-a few others whose names I can't presently think of...

I remember playing alot of the standard hits like...

-Legend Of Zelda
-one of the Ninja Turtles games
-Mario 2 (I really liked this game)
-Mario 3
-Ninja Gaiden
-RC Pro-Am (really fun game)
-Double Dragon
-one of the Castlevania games
-BattleToads
-Paperboy
-Back To The Future
-Total Recall
-Snake's Revenge
-many more...

Written By: Gwen on 11/12/04 at 3:11 pm

I still have my NES and all my games  :D

Legend of Zelda (still my favorite video game ever!)
Super Mario Bros 3
Dragon Warrior
Castlevania
Rygar
Excitebike
Faxanadu
Road Blasters
Ultima:Exodus

Written By: onaree on 11/12/04 at 3:29 pm

I never got to play much because my brother hogged it!  I could probably tell ya how to beat Mario 1, 2 and 3 just by watching him play.  He had Mike Tyson's Punch Out,  (I can still hear the sound of some of the guys being punched) JAWS (boring game), Zelda, and some skateboard game that I can't remember the name of.

I remember when Mario 3 came out and how it was like "the" ultimate in video graphics.  Ha!

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/12/04 at 7:00 pm

Some of my favorites were Excitebike, Zelda, Dr. Mario, and some racing game with a red Ferrari type car. I remember how excited i was when i finally got the NES Game Genie one christmas. Although once i got used to playing all of the games with cheat codes, it was hard to go back to playing them the normal way. Beat alotta games with that thing though!  :D

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 8:12 pm

In Super Mario Brothers,I always got almost up to the last level.It took a couple of hours but it was worth it. :P

Howard

Written By: Todd Z on 11/13/04 at 1:05 am

I still try to play the game too but I suck at it, I cant get past the second level!
I know, I remember how hard the second level used to be when I first played it. The big house of Trolls is probably the most frustrating though! Because it's sort of a long level and they only give you a certain amont of time before you run out!

Written By: Todd Z on 11/13/04 at 1:07 am

Some of my favorites were Excitebike, Zelda, Dr. Mario, and some racing game with a red Ferrari type car.
Rad Racer

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/13/04 at 7:51 am

Rad Racer

RAD RACER!! That's the one. Now that I remeber what its called I may just have to download it for my NES emulator. haha...won't be the same without Game Genie though. Thanks Todd  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/13/04 at 4:30 pm

http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb/nes/ha/shot-1.jpg

Hogan's Alley was my favorite shooting game.Sometimes by accident,I'd shoot the good guys by mistake.Who here had trouble with this one? ;D

Howard

Written By: Todd Z on 11/14/04 at 2:00 am

RAD RACER!! That's the one. Now that I remeber what its called I may just have to download it for my NES emulator. haha...won't be the same without Game Genie though. Thanks Todd  ;D
When you download a game, is it still as good as the original? Or is it sort of a rough copy? Because you could probably buy the original game cart off ebay or funco land for just a couple bucks? (probabaly get a game genie cheap too!)

Written By: Todd Z on 11/14/04 at 2:04 am

http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb/nes/ha/shot-1.jpg

Hogan's Alley was my favorite shooting game.Sometimes by accident,I'd shoot the good guys by mistake.Who here had trouble with this one? ;D

Howard
That's one game I never got around to play. In fact the only gun games I've played are Duck Hunt and Gumshoe?

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/14/04 at 3:06 am

When you download a game, is it still as good as the original? Or is it sort of a rough copy? Because you could probably buy the original game cart off ebay or funco land for just a couple bucks? (probabaly get a game genie cheap too!)

I find the games I download for the NES emulator to be of original quality but i could be wrong. The main downside is having to use the keyboard and not having an actual NES controller. I really need to find another NES console because I got rid of mine a few years ago and now i regret doing that. Oh, and I need another game genie too!!  :D

Written By: Howard on 11/15/04 at 7:53 pm

http://img.neoseeker.com/image_deliver.php?lz=R2FtZXMvTmludGVuZG9fRW50ZXJ0YWlubWVudF9TeXN0ZW0vQXJjYWRl&f=donkey_kong_image2.jpg

Anyone remember playing "Donkey Kong"? ;D

Howard

Written By: Mac Tonight on 11/16/04 at 1:32 am

I was and am an 8-bit NES freak.  I had about 50 games as a kid, sold them all in my teens, bought most of them back (plus about 50 more) in my adult years (most from ebay complete with boxes and instructions) and lost them all in my divorce.  One of these days, I'll end up buying them again for a THIRD time.

Among my collection were...

all of the Mario's
all of the Castlevania's
all of the Mega Man's
all of the Dragon Warrior's
both Zelda's
Tetris
Dr. Mario
Final Fantasy
Shadowgate
Faxanadu
Deadly Towers
Duck Tales (AWESOME game)
The Goonies 2 (nothing like hearing 8-bit Cyndi Lauper in your game!)
A Boy & His Blob (one of the greatest game concepts of all time)
Maniac Mansion (I still laugh when I think of when I first nuked the gerbil)

among many, MANY others

Man, I miss being a kid who could spend all day playing these!

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 11/16/04 at 2:29 pm

Anyone remember R-Type?

Written By: Howard on 11/16/04 at 5:30 pm

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/919774_20040608_screen008.jpg

Anyone remember Super Mario Bros? ;D

Howard

Written By: hersheyrose23 on 11/16/04 at 5:42 pm

If I knew I was going to still be obsessed with mario I would have kept mine. I play the original super mario brothers all the time on dreamcast. Weird that it's a sega system lol.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/04 at 5:48 pm

Anyone remember The Power Glove?

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...