inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: BLACK SNEAKERS

Written By: happydays on 11/11/04 at 9:15 am

does anyone remember when black sneakers came out, i had a pair which i think Reebok made, they had a hard rubber souls. i don't remember if it was the 80's or late 70's.

Subject: Re: BLACK SNEAKERS

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/11/04 at 11:16 am

mid 1980s. I also had a pair of black Reeboks. It was almost rebel to have a pair of black sneakers for a while b/c the norm was white. I just got tired of cleaning my white ones.

Tanya

Written By: Kenosha on 11/11/04 at 5:49 pm

Anybody remember Nike Vandals? They were black canvas high top gym shoes with the velcro strap.

Written By: kairi747 on 11/11/04 at 7:06 pm

yep, i had balck reeboks too!  also had pink reebok high-tops which i adored!  still wear reeboks - most comfortable sneakers out there.  yeah, black sneakers were definitely cool and a little punk, especially if you wore them with shorts and ankle socks that matched your top!  :D

Written By: happydays on 11/12/04 at 9:23 am

does anyone no when they actually came out....1980...1979...1977...???

Written By: bj26 on 11/12/04 at 10:18 am

Anybody remember Nike Vandals? They were black canvas high top gym shoes with the velcro strap.

These were way cool with a silver strap, like Reece wore in The Terminator, that would have been circa 1984.

Written By: Kenosha on 11/12/04 at 1:50 pm

This is sort of off topic but does anyone else call them "gym shoes"?
My wife calls athletic shoes tenny runners or tennis shoes. I was wondering if the term "gym shoes" was a midwest thing. I grew up in Wisconsin by the way.

Written By: bj26 on 11/12/04 at 4:06 pm

This is sort of off topic but does anyone else call them "gym shoes"?
My wife calls athletic shoes tenny runners or tennis shoes. I was wondering if the term "gym shoes" was a midwest thing. I grew up in Wisconsin by the way.

When I lived in Seattle, everyone referred to athletic shoes as tennys.  I think people from the Bronx call them sneakas.

Written By: Kenosha on 11/12/04 at 6:58 pm

When I lived in Seattle, everyone referred to athletic shoes as tennys. I think people from the Bronx call them sneakas.

That is funny because my wife is from Washington state.

Written By: happydays on 11/13/04 at 3:02 pm

the seakers i'm talking about are black,black laces, and a hard rubber bottoms...anyone know the year..?

Check for new replies or respond here...