inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hottest 80s styles for guys?

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/11/04 at 3:58 pm

In your opinion, what were some of the hottest clothing styles for guys in the 80s? How about hairstyles? :D

Subject: Re: Hottest 80s styles for guys?

Written By: rubixgirl on 11/11/04 at 4:09 pm

I thought the new wave style and the post apocolyptic styles (ala Duran Duran) were sexy. (see also the hair styles too)
http://www.microla.com/ltpages/ltimages/duranduran3.jpghttp://members.aol.com/baronumf/duran16.jpg

However I also liked Poison's and Bon Jovi's look.
http://www.angelarose.com/PoisonPlaypen/NothingBut2.jpghttp://www.balynce.com/jovi/jovi6.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/11/04 at 5:29 pm

tails in the back of the head and baggy pants are what guys mostly wore.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/11/04 at 5:55 pm

Or, the ever popular Mullet-with the back permed and dyed blonde :)

some people actually support a mullet these days. :o

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/11/04 at 5:56 pm

or how about Hawaiian shirts?

Howard

Written By: kairi747 on 11/11/04 at 7:04 pm

definitely the mullet!  loved it.  would definitelly like to see it make a comeback.  way cool.  also the "duran duran" hat (from hungry like the wolf.  how about capezios (oh my gosh, guys wore white capezios in the 80's!  can you imagine??!)  members only jackets!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/11/04 at 7:50 pm

I liked the preppy look! With the alligator insignia on the shirt and all!

Tanya

Written By: Revolution Baby on 11/12/04 at 7:26 am

tails in the back of the head and baggy pants are what guys mostly wore.

Howard

Hehehehe... I sported a foot-long plaited rat's tail which was beaded at the end  :-[

Written By: kairi747 on 11/12/04 at 9:18 am

hey, and about that mullet - i don't remember that hairstyle having a name inthe 80's.  i never heard the term "mullet" until the late 90's or early 00's.  how about anyone else?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/12/04 at 10:42 am

in my hometown, denim and reebok hightops. as to hair, long since most guys in my town were into metal, long was in.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/12/04 at 10:58 am

John Foxx, Warren Cann (of Ultravox), and David Sylvian (of Japan). All had great hair, and I looooove a man in a suit!!! 8) <drool!>

Absolutely Vile

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 11/12/04 at 11:22 am

Too many to mention!  Just like for us girls!

As for hair - that's easy.  Spiked shorter hair.  Like my Billy Idol  <-----

Spikes were cool on us girls too.    :) :D

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 11/12/04 at 11:26 am

hey, and about that mullet - i don't remember that hairstyle having a name inthe 80's.  i never heard the term "mullet" until the late 90's or early 00's.  how about anyone else?

I never heard of it either till I hit these boards!  Of course, while I liked looking in-tune wild in the '80s like any1, I didn't pay attention to just what everything was called.  Not big into studying details of pop culture, just indulging in it.  So I may be the wrong person to ask anyway!

Of course, I also hardly ever saw "mullets" in real life - every guy wore spikes who had anything "odd-ball" where I lived.  There were a tiny few who mite be called "mullets" but on the shorter side, for most part - just frizzed-out hair that didn't go beyond the neck.

And I still prefer spikey hair.  Hell, I wore it!

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/12/04 at 12:12 pm

That sort of short, shaggy feathered over tips of ears with anime bangs look (That looked best on blonde guys). 
A long sportcoat with scrunched sleeves :) and big reflective sunglasses! 
I also liked Steve Guttenberg's look in the 80s. I still think that he was a hottie in Short Circuit.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 11/12/04 at 12:27 pm

The only mullet I dig is Dave Gahan's. It looks really new wave. :)

Written By: rubixgirl on 11/12/04 at 2:34 pm

The only mullet I dig is Dave Gahan's. It looks really new wave. :)
yeah the new wave mullets didn't look that bad b/c they were styled..it was the Billy Ray Cyrus kind of looking do that gained notiarity

Written By: Gordon on 11/12/04 at 6:18 pm

I'll will have to agree with that. Even though i had a couple of friends with mullets back then, I don't remember actually hearing the term "mullet" untill the 90s. And then there were the people with rat tails...lol  :D

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 8:16 pm

some people these days still support mullets.also the girls back then dyed their hair either purple,green or red. ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/04 at 8:34 pm

Clothing wise.... the Miami Vice look, I like the fact that Crocket and Tubbs didn't wear socks at all. Chessy clothing ideas where the zipper jacket (like the one Michael Jackson wore) and the skinny clip on tie.

Check for new replies or respond here...