inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need a light?

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/12/04 at 7:26 pm

Hey guys, just curious as to how many people smoked cigarettes back in the 80s. Nowadays everything has gone smoke-free and smokng is less socially acceptable. In the 80s there was no legal age to buy cigarettes (where I live anyways), you could smoke anywhere, and everyone that I knew smoked. It was just the cool social thing to do. Was this the case for you and your friends?  :D 

Subject: Re: Need a light?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/04 at 7:32 pm

I didn't smoke (too young back then) and still don't, but I knew people who where heavy smokers, and you pretty much smoke anywhere.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 7:59 pm

Now,people are smoking outside instead of inside.I guess people are paranoid of starting fires in the house. :-\\

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/04 at 8:19 pm

They are scared of the Smoke  Police.... 

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 8:24 pm

There was a time when people could smoke inside their homes after that law was passed you could only smoke a certain amount of feet away from the building. ::)

Howard

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/12/04 at 8:52 pm

There was a time when people could smoke inside their homes after that law was passed you could only smoke a certain amount of feet away from the building.  ::)

People can't legally smoke in their homes anymore where you live? That's pretty harsh. Where I live its just illegal to smoke inside public buildings and workplaces, and that only came into effect last year.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 9:00 pm

People can't legally smoke in their homes anymore where you live? That's pretty harsh. Where I live its just illegal to smoke inside public buildings and workplaces, and that only came into effect last year.

No,Gordon.they can't.NYC just passed a rule here. ::)

Howard

Written By: RojoP on 11/12/04 at 10:41 pm

Howard

Wow!!

They just passed and ordinance here in SoCal where you cannot smoke on public beaches. 
That I agree with.  In the home, no.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/13/04 at 4:02 am

Last night, on the train going home, I encountered a couple of arrogant youngsters, who insisted on having a smoke in the carriage. Pretty stupid, concidereing the fine for doing so is around $1000.
Back in the 80s, the driver of my school bus (a private chartered bus) would often smoke a pipe and there were often ashtrays behind the seats. Can anyone remember if it was legal, particularly in Australia, to smoke on board public transport?
Tell you what, the bus would really stink after people had been smoking in it, not to mention the harm factor for young children. From memory, the legal age for smoking in Australia was raised from 16-18 around the mid 90s.

Written By: Davester on 11/13/04 at 4:20 am

Started smoking cigs around '90 while in the service...

In the 80's I was in high school and didn't smoke cigs, just weed where and when I could get it.

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/13/04 at 7:45 am

Back in the 80s, the driver of my school bus (a private chartered bus) would often smoke a pipe and there were often ashtrays behind the seats. Can anyone remember if it was legal, particularly in Australia, to smoke on board public transport?
Tell you what, the bus would really stink after people had been smoking in it, not to mention the harm factor for young children. From memory, the legal age for smoking in Australia was raised from 16-18 around the mid 90s.

I'm not sure about the laws in Australia because I'm a Canadian. However, I do remember my school bus driver smoking while kids loaded the bus at the end of the school day, but not while he was driving. There was a big "No Smoking" sign at the front of the bus but i'm not sure if it was actually against the law to smoke on the bus or just a bus rule. Either way, my bus was the only one at the school with a smoking bus driver. I guess all the other bus drivers just knew better. oh well  :D 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/13/04 at 9:17 am

I actually found an old newspaper article the other week about smokers on Perths public transport complaining about NON SMOKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was dated 1967 I think.  It was outlawed in the early 70s.

Some Sydney beaches private councils have commenced banning smoking on the beach in the past couple of months.

I did take a couple of puffs at the bus stop back in 83 - because it was "the" thing to do if you didnt want to get beaten up by the tough chicks.  After a while I started walking way down to the next bus stop to avoid them !

I was never able to learn how to enhale - so I didnt bother taking up the habit.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/13/04 at 9:33 am

i never smoked in the 80s, i took up the habit when i was 20 in '91. i remember my school had these infamous back doors called the 'smoke doors'. at breaks, several hundred students would pile outside those doors and puff away, the stench would waft back into school...many times you could even smell the pot smoke. nowadays, those doors are used exclusively as a fire emergency door and the students now have to smoke off school property.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/13/04 at 10:15 am

i never smoked in the 80s, i took up the habit when i was 20 in '91. i remember my school had these infamous back doors called the 'smoke doors'. at breaks, several hundred students would pile outside those doors and puff away, the stench would waft back into school...many times you could even smell the pot smoke. nowadays, those doors are used exclusively as a fire emergency door and the students now have to smoke off school property.

Same here!!!!!!! Except I didn't start 'til 1992 but I was about the same age and in university. Our high school had "smoking doors" as well and you could smell the stench from the doors everytime someone would come in, and yes, it was crowded out there. I have no idea what those doors are used for now. Probably the same thing. I haven't been back to visit in years...

You weren't living down here back then, were you?? :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/13/04 at 10:19 am

no, sorry vile, i wish i did though. ever notice how those smokers would huddle together for warmth in the -30C weather. a person could 'hotbox' in that..lol

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/13/04 at 10:24 am

no, sorry vile, i wish i did though. ever notice how those smokers would huddle together for warmth in the -30C weather. a person could 'hotbox' in that..lol

Oh yeah! I mean, I was never actually out there back then because I didn't smoke and I couldn't stand the smell, but when someone came in, you could see the kids all huddled together in one big clump keeping warm and puffing away. :P

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 11/13/04 at 4:16 pm

It must be that the cigarettes warm them up.I find that to be ridiculous. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/13/04 at 4:19 pm

As for me,I never smoked during the 80's but in High School I took a couple of puffs here and there but never inhaled. :P

Howard

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/14/04 at 1:20 am

yes, back in high school our smoking area was referred to as "the pit". It was right outside the back doors and the smoke always travelled right inside the school. That whole wing of the building permanently smelled like smoke. Though being a smoker I didn't really care. haha....and between classes it seemed the WHOLE school would pour out into the pit. I think things at high schools are alot different now because its illegal to smoke on school property.

Written By: bj26 on 11/15/04 at 12:25 pm

I worked for the airlines then and had to clean airplanes, almost every seat's ashtrays were always full of butts.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/15/04 at 12:32 pm

Howard

Last night, on the train going home, I encountered a couple of arrogant youngsters, who insisted on having a smoke in the carriage. Pretty stupid, concidereing the fine for doing so is around $1000.

We'll Howard, how do they know?

Yeah, i kid you not, on the bus once on the way home, the driver came upstairs, kicked 2 people off for smokeing, and when i got off the bus he was sat there puffing away... selective ignorance

Written By: karen on 11/15/04 at 12:40 pm

I used to smoke in the 80s. At school I had the occasional one either up on the top footie pitch at school or nipped through the fence into the local woods.

Didn't start in earnest till I left school in '86.  Back then we could smoke at work (though not in the lab area where I worked).  Then in about '88 they made it a group decision for shared areas if it was to become no smoking.  If you had your own office you could smoke if you wanted as long as you shut the door.  That was the situation for a long time.  Now you can't smoke indoors in any of the buildings so you see huddles of smokers standing around every doorway.

I gave up smoking in about 1990 because I was ill so often.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/04 at 7:41 pm

We'll Howard, how do they know?

Yeah, i kid you not, on the bus once on the way home, the driver came upstairs, kicked 2 people off for smokeing, and when i got off the bus he was sat there puffing away... selective ignorance

I think it was Michael Bloomberg who had made it up. ::)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...