inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Madonna Song

Written By: eightieschick53 on 11/16/04 at 8:43 pm

Mine would have to be Crazy For You.  :D  8)

Subject: Re: Best Madonna Song

Written By: woops on 11/16/04 at 9:17 pm

On the poll: "Lucky Star"

Though I also like "Open Your Heart"  8)

Written By: zcrito on 11/16/04 at 10:47 pm

For the '80s my favorites from her are

Into the Groove
Cherish

It's difficult for an artist to make it out of the decade in which they start. For me, except for "Ray of Light" in 1998, she didn't have much to listen to after the '80s ended.

:)

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/16/04 at 11:36 pm

ok,another impossible poll for me..

i chose Lucky Star VERY closely followed by Holiday,Borderline,Express Yourself,Into The Groove and Dress You Up with an honorable mention for Love Don't Live Here Anymore..can you tell i'm a big fan of her early stuff? :)

Written By: rubixgirl on 11/17/04 at 9:13 am

Hard to pick old school Madonna faves...but I will pick Crazy For You.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 11/17/04 at 11:23 am

Papa don't preach, True Blue, Dress you up.....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/17/04 at 12:23 pm

La Isla Bonita and Like a Prayer.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/17/04 at 12:54 pm

"Borderline" has always been my favorite.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/17/04 at 12:57 pm

Borderline and La Isla Bonita.

Tanya

Written By: onaree on 11/17/04 at 1:33 pm

Has to be Crazy for You.

I tend to agree that a lot of her newer stuff isn't that great.  I think her greatness ended with the Blonde Ambition tour. 

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/17/04 at 2:15 pm

La Isla Bonita, definitiely

Written By: rubixgirl on 11/17/04 at 2:27 pm

Has to be Crazy for You.

I tend to agree that a lot of her newer stuff isn't that great.  I think her greatness ended with the Blonde Ambition tour. 
That's my feeling too.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/17/04 at 4:23 pm

It was one of a few songs that me and my ex liked...Crazy For You

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 11/18/04 at 8:36 am

Crazy for you

Written By: McDonald on 11/18/04 at 7:51 pm

Wow, you left a great many out! For her 80s stuff, I like "Holiday" the best I think, but I like the others too.

Written By: Bobby on 11/18/04 at 7:53 pm

My preference was other in the form of 'Cherish'. However, I love almost every single she brought out between 1983 - 1990.  :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/19/04 at 2:24 am

right on,Bobby  ;)

Written By: RojoP on 11/19/04 at 2:52 am

other

"Live to Tell"

Written By: zcrito on 11/19/04 at 10:15 am

My preference was other in the form of 'Cherish'. However, I love almost every single she brought out between 1983 - 1990.  :)

"Cherish". Good pick!
:)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/21/04 at 9:49 pm

White Heat!  ;D

Written By: nally on 11/23/04 at 7:30 pm

Wow, you left a great many out!

Yeah! "Like A Surgeon"...I mean Virgin, "Like A Prayer", "Into The Groove", "Live To Tell", "La Isla Bonita", among numerous others! Those are good. ;)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/23/04 at 7:35 pm

"Like A Prayer", though I hated it when it first came out 1989. Got right into it when I turned 20 and started to go out dancing (1996!)

Written By: Raven on 11/23/04 at 8:22 pm

Without a doubt,I'd have to say,Crazy For You.

Written By: Hairspray on 11/24/04 at 12:12 am

From this list offered here, Crazy for You. Too tough to choose otherwise. :)

Written By: mandamoo on 11/24/04 at 7:09 am

Other - 'Like A Virgin'

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/24/04 at 7:27 am

Other - "Papa Don't Preach"

Written By: micah on 11/24/04 at 5:38 pm

'whos that girl ' is my favorite

Written By: Alice on 11/25/04 at 7:53 am

"Like A Prayer" (1989). No contest!

Other Madonna songs from the '80s worth mention IMO are:

"Burning Up" (1983)
"Into The Groove" (1985)
"Crazy For You" (1985)
"True Blue" (1986)
"Live To Tell" (1986)
"Papa Don't Preach" (1986)
"La Isla Bonita" (1987)
"Express Yourself" (1989)
and
"Cherish" (1989).

I despise(d) "Like A Virgin" (1984) from the bottom of my heart. Never could stomach it. Irritating as hell.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/22 at 5:54 pm

Based on my internet research, Madonna didn't truly become famous until very late in 1984 with Like A Virgin, like November, or December. Then by the end of the Virgin Tour she was fully blown famous (June 1985). Her Like A Virgin era was when she truly became famous.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/29/22 at 8:14 pm

I would say LIVE TO TELL is probably her best 80s song!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/22 at 7:22 pm

My favorite Madonna song was/is Borderline. What simple pop song. Madonna was not famous yet but it has become a pop classic by its own self.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/31/22 at 7:31 am

TO clarify Madonna's rise I just watched the 1984 MTV VMAs last weekend (on the same day that the 2022's were being held, the last hint of the network's music roots), and there was no mention of Madonna at all. Cyndi Lauper, the host, was the most famous female pop star, with Pat Benatar still the #2. It really shows since Lucky Star is just your basic white walled video with a couple dancers, not too unlike Toni Basil's "Mickey". But just a couple months later, the November 1984 issue of Tiger Beat features a story of Madonna entitled "Multi-talented and Mysterious", and mentioning that she's suddenly blown onto the national scene, with the typical for a rising star question of "Who is she and where does she hail from?" That winter of 1984-85 really saw her explode with her Like A Virgin and Material Girl videos, and by spring 1985 she was literally unavoidable in even the most mainstream of media- Time and Life magazines.

My choice is still the Like A Prayer album. It still has the fun feel of her earlier '80s albums with songs like Cherish, Keep It Together, and Express Yourself, while hinting at her more serious material with the title track and some of the album cuts. I'd select Express Yourself as my overall pick.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/01/22 at 10:44 am

TO clarify Madonna's rise I just watched the 1984 MTV VMAs last weekend (on the same day that the 2022's were being held, the last hint of the network's music roots), and there was no mention of Madonna at all. Cyndi Lauper, the host, was the most famous female pop star, with Pat Benatar still the #2. It really shows since Lucky Star is just your basic white walled video with a couple dancers, not too unlike Toni Basil's "Mickey". But just a couple months later, the November 1984 issue of Tiger Beat features a story of Madonna entitled "Multi-talented and Mysterious", and mentioning that she's suddenly blown onto the national scene, with the typical for a rising star question of "Who is she and where does she hail from?" That winter of 1984-85 really saw her explode with her Like A Virgin and Material Girl videos, and by spring 1985 she was literally unavoidable in even the most mainstream of media- Time and Life magazines.

My choice is still the Like A Prayer album. It still has the fun feel of her earlier '80s albums with songs like Cherish, Keep It Together, and Express Yourself, while hinting at her more serious material with the title track and some of the album cuts. I'd select Express Yourself as my overall pick.

Yes, by July 1985 it was de rigueur that Madonna be one of the performers at Live Aid. I saw it all in real time. She sang live and randomly ran up and down all over the place, but her bellowing was tuneless. The fact that it was so unlistenable is likely what made her then resort to lip synching and other onstage trickery in later performances.

By the way, absolutely nobody would remember this, but a candid moment was caught live on camera just before Madonna went onstage. Bette Midler (who did not perform but was one of the announcers) repeatedly calls out "Madonna...Madonna...good luck..." by way of wishing her a good performance. Madonna utterly ignores Midler. Hilarious! I taped Live Aid and have this uncomfortable moment on VHS somewhere.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/22 at 10:48 am

My favourite Madonna comes from the 1990s, so therefore as this is 1980s' Madonna songs, I cannot discuss it here.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/01/22 at 6:25 pm

What was its title buddy?

Check for new replies or respond here...