inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Do They Know It's X-mas?"-a BAD cover for a good cause!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/19/04 at 6:27 am

A couple nights ago at work, I heard the remake of "Do They Know It's X-mas?" on the radio -and I really hate to say it, but it SUCKS! The new singers, whoever they are, don't sing with nearly the same passion and conviction as Boy George, George Michael and the rest of the original cast, even Bono sounds kinda lacklustre! While the message may not have been lost, the spirit of the original recording is nowhere to be found. :\'(
Long live the 80s!
Dee

Subject: Re: "Do They Know It's X-mas?"-a BAD cover for a good cause!

Written By: Geggs on 11/19/04 at 6:31 am

yes, i agree it did suck trunk but it is however for a good cause.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/19/04 at 12:23 pm

Ohhhhh...I was going to start a thread about this myself, but obviously I was beaten to it! :) Anyway, this is a very heavily discussed (with disgust) topic on the Ultravox forum!!! How could Midge  (and Bob Geldof, of course) let this happen?! This latest incarnation of Band Aid is just horrible and pathetic. I really wish they had just reunited the original lot from 1984 and re-recorded the single for a true 20th Anniversary rendition. I'd rather just donate to the charity directly than buy this single. I'm faithful to the original which I have loved for the past 20 years.

Oh, and if you think the Band Aid 20 single is terrible, take a look at the cover...

Absolutely Vile (indeed!)

Written By: rubixgirl on 11/19/04 at 2:21 pm

Who sings on the new version??

P.S.
The album cover looks terrible.  :P

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/19/04 at 2:43 pm

P.S.

Chris Martin (Coldplay), Dido, Robbie Williams, Sugababes, Fran Healy (Travis), Bono, Will Young, Jamelia, Ms Dynamite, Beverly Knight, Group Of 10 (not sure if this is a band or just a group of ten people), Joss Stone, Tom Chaplin (Keane), Justin Hawkins (The Darkness), Dizzee Rascal (yep, there's rap in this one!), and Busted are all featured...

The cover is beyond words....>:(

Absolutely Vile

Written By: rubixgirl on 11/19/04 at 2:45 pm

Chris Martin (Coldplay), Dido, Robbie Williams, Sugababes, Fran Healy (Travis), Bono, Will Young, Jamelia, Ms Dynamite, Beverly Knight, Group Of 10 (not sure if this is a band or just a group of ten people), Joss Stone, Tom Chaplin (Keane), Justin Hawkins (The Darkness), Dizzee Rascal (yep, there's rap in this one!), and Busted are all featured...

The cover is beyond words....>:(

Absolutely Vile

I've not heard it but I don't really want to either. Thanks for the warning. Rap??? Ugh!  >:(

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/19/04 at 2:56 pm

I've not heard it but I don't really want to either. Thanks for the warning. Rap??? Ugh!  >:(

Yeah, some dodgy rap takes the place of the "Raise a glass for everyone" and "Underneath that blinding sun" bits, I think. They completely ruined the original. ::)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: rubixgirl on 11/19/04 at 3:11 pm

Yeah, some dodgy rap takes the place of the "Raise a glass for everyone" and "Underneath that blinding sun" bits, I think. They completely ruined the original. ::)

Absolutely Vile

It would seem so...very sad and dishearening to me.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 11/19/04 at 5:02 pm

Why is Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer on the cover? It sucks. >:(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 11/19/04 at 5:05 pm

P.S.

Well Rubix I haven't got a chance to hear it myself yet so I'll give you my opinion next month. ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/19/04 at 7:01 pm

I heard :48 secs of the "new" version, dear sweet god, it sounds like crap!!!! I like the original one better so far. Even "We Are The World" sounds better than the "new" version. I'll think I do myself a favour, and just buy Live Aid on DVD instead. The cover looks bad too...

By the there is a website where you can download the song (both single and double track version), there is also a video there too.

http://www.7digital.com/downloads/bandaid/choosemix.asp

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/19/04 at 7:06 pm

I heard :48 secs of the "new" version, dear sweet god, it sounds like crap!!!! I like the original one better so far. Even "We Are The World" sounds better than the "new" version. I'll think I do myself a favour, and just buy Live Aid on DVD instead. The cover looks bad too...

I wouldn't even buy the Live Aid DVD. The whole thing isn't there. It's not complete.

By the there is a website where you can download the song (both single and double track version), there is also a video there too.

http://www.7digital.com/downloads/bandaid/choosemix.asp

Unfortunately, it's not free...:(

Absolutely Vile

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/20/04 at 3:01 am

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks its awful.  The rap bit is crap and the weird faded ending is awful.

And I seriously think I have heard of three of the singers who took part !

My radio station is playing it to death already so imagine how sick of it I will be by xmas !

Written By: Howard on 11/21/04 at 7:50 pm

I wonder when they're gonna be playing it in New York? ::)
I'd like to hear it. :P

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/21/04 at 9:46 pm

When I first heard that on the Today Show, I cringed.
'Do They Know It's Christmas' is one of my favorite 80s songs because so many wonderful British 80s artists worked on the song.
Everyone from Holly Johnson from Frankie Goes to Hollywood all the way to Phil Collins.
I'm angry that a bunch of posers are covering the song.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/21/04 at 10:46 pm

I really think they'd have been better off just re-releasing the original, perhaps with a funky remix or 3 thrown in. I have also heard that the new singers did not all record in the one place. Some, such as Bono, recorded their bit part, wherever they happened to be around the globe and forwarded it on. That being the case, how could they even hope to recreate the beautiful spirit of 20 years ago. Being a HUGE Boy George fan, I have to say that "Do They Know...." was one of his finest moments vocally........it's sad, very sad :\'(
Merry X-mas, feed the world,
Dee  :-*

Written By: woops on 11/22/04 at 12:12 am

Even though I like (though only a few songs) Busted, The Darkness, & Dizee Rascals, it's a very awful cover.  :P

Especially Bono, who's the only singer who also was part of the orignal...  :-[

I wonder this will be released in the US along with the "We Are The World" cover  ::)  :P

Today's music really bites.

Written By: migi on 11/22/04 at 1:06 pm

Hi! As a huge fan of the original version it was tough to hear the new one. However it wasn't THAT bad. Strangely I've also heard another version of band aid 20 which was like remix of the original one. It lasted about 7 minutes and all the singers wished merry christmas one by one. What is this version? Maybe b-side of the original or the new one? Anybody?

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/22/04 at 1:19 pm

Hi! As a huge fan of the original version it was tough to hear the new one. However it wasn't THAT bad. Strangely I've also heard another version of band aid 20 which was like remix of the original one. It lasted about 7 minutes and all the singers wished merry christmas one by one. What is this version? Maybe b-side of the original or the new one? Anybody?

On the B-side of the 7 inch single of the original song, several members of Band Aid send their Christmas wishes. The B-side of the 12 inch has that, plus a remix of the song by Trevor Horn (The Buggles, Asia) which mixes the song and the Christmas wishes together.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 11/22/04 at 5:46 pm

This version is gonna suck when it's played here in The United States.I don't understand why ruin a good thing. :-\\

Howard

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/22/04 at 6:26 pm

I really think they'd have been better off just re-releasing the original, perhaps with a funky remix or 3 thrown in.

Oh wow... I have not yet heard the remake, though I admire the desire to contribute to a worthy cause.  However, with this particular song, I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought.  I have to agree with 80smuzikhead on this one. 

Check for new replies or respond here...