inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1 Past and Present

Written By: eightiesfan on 11/19/04 at 2:13 pm

How many people watched VH1 in its former incarnation as a baby boomer version of MTV?  (Incidentally, this coming New Year's Day marks the 20th anniversary of the show's debut) Is it a better channel now than it was then?

Nowadays, the programming is geared more towards people who grew up in the 70's and 80's - I enjoy watching Behind the Music and, of course, Bands Reunited, but like MTV, they only play music videos in certain blocks.

Personally, I've considered getting digital cable so I can get the VH1 Classic channel.

Subject: Re: VH1 Past and Present

Written By: woops on 11/19/04 at 10:18 pm

IMO, VH1 was ai its best in the mid/late 1990's with shows like "The Big 80's", "Sex Appeal", "Behind the Music", "Pop Up Video", "Rock Show", etc.  8) And repeats of "Solid Gold", "American Bandstand", and movies like "Pink Floyd: The Wall", not the junk like "Glitter", non music related "Austin Powers" (A great film, but shouldn't be on VH1), and lame made for VH1 movies.  :P Though now it's mostly a hybrid  of current MTV &  E! entertainment television, but has a few good specials like "I Love the 80's".  :)  Though now it's mostly junk about celebrities (current pop stars, actors, etc) and worthless "Top 100" lists.

Written By: RojoP on 11/19/04 at 10:31 pm

Personally, I've considered getting digital cable so I can get the VH1 Classic channel.

VH1 classics is the only music channel I watch these days.  It's the best if you want to see old videos.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/04 at 8:05 pm

VH1 changed so much.I just tune in to VH1 Classics for my oldies fix. :)

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/21/04 at 10:19 pm

I agree that VH1 is too much like E! and E! is annoying. I do like I Love The 80s, but I Love The 90s was pushing it.
I like to watch VH1 Classic, but they don't show enough 80s stuff and too much of Classic's programming is overplayed easy to obtain public domain clips of artists from the 60s and 70s. Most of the footage isn't very great for the music that goes with it either.
I remember when VH1 Classic was a digital sample network with VH1 Soul thrown in with it until Viacom created spinoffs such as MTV Jams, MTV Hits and VH1 Hits.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/04 at 5:57 pm

VH1 is not the same as it used to be.It just caters to the teenagers. :(

Howard

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/22/04 at 7:57 pm

I began watching VH1 around Summer 1990 and I'd have to say that was my favorite incarnation.  They regularly had 1 hour segments devoted to different kinds of music (i.e. "Jazz it Up on VH1" where they did an hour of jazz videos)... shows like "VH1-to-1" and "History of Music Videos A-Z".  On occasion, they would show videos of a particular artist(s) for 24 hours (i.e.  one Sunday, they showed only videos by Michael, Jermaine, Janet, Rebbie & Marlon Jackson...or any combination of them).

Written By: woops on 11/22/04 at 7:59 pm

"History of Music Videos A-Z". 

I remember that from the mid '90's. Aired during the Fourth of July weekend.  8)

Written By: stingr22 on 11/22/04 at 10:57 pm

I remember when VH1 first came out.  It appealed to my more mellow side.  Now, if you find a video, you're lucky. 

I will testify that the extra 5 bucks or so per month is well worth the price to get digital cable and VH1 Classic.  The only commercials are for VH1 and concerts they sponsor and the videos... oh, the videos!  Seeing so many videos from the 80s and before are priceless.  Not just the mainstream videos either.  You can see plenty progressive, metal, hair bands, etc.  Just a word of warning:  It is addictive!!!!  8)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 11/23/04 at 12:08 pm

VH1 is not the same as it used to be.It just caters to the teenagers. :(

Howard

Yeah thats true. It sucks. It used to be about VIDEOS, not fashon. You got enough of that in the videos! same thing with MTV. the 1990s came along (1992 and beyond. 1990 and 1991 were the best!) and screwed that up by trying to get a hip hop vibe to it. I like hip hop, but that was ridiculous.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/04 at 5:00 pm

Yeah thats true. It sucks. It used to be about VIDEOS, not fashon. You got enough of that in the videos! same thing with MTV. the 1990s came along (1992 and beyond. 1990 and 1991 were the best!) and screwed that up by trying to get a hip hop vibe to it. I like hip hop, but that was ridiculous.

Yes Abercrombie.I hope one day they make an MTV Classic Station just like VH1 has already. :(
Howard

Written By: Alice on 11/23/04 at 5:08 pm

VH1 changed so much.I just tune in to VH1 Classics for my oldies fix. :)

Howard

Same here!  ;)

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/24/04 at 8:18 pm

Same here!  ;)

Me three!

VH1 has become Mtv.

VH1 Classics rules!

Written By: Andrew Marc Gormley on 11/25/04 at 3:37 pm

:\'( :\'( \\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ why oh why oh why oh why do bloody vh1 classics have to play 80's all the time.. they've stop for the moment and are playin indie 500 on continuous playback but it'll probably return to the worst decade ever (other than 1660's) fairly soon!!! :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...