inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite 80's TV ad icon.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 8:45 am

Mine is The California Raisins.

Subject: Re: Favorite 80's TV ad icon.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 9:38 am

I also like Max Headroom as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/04 at 11:27 am

I voted for Spuds McKinzie but I also like Alex (the dog from Stroh's beer) and of course Clara Peller of "Where's the beef?" fame.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 11:37 am

What about Joe Isuzu?  ;D

http://www.notyouraveragejoeinc.com/broadcast/images/school.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 11:56 am

Or Jacko, from the old Energizer ads?

http://www.ciadvertising.org/studies/student/97_fall/how_ad_works/chae/gifs/energizer1.jpg

Written By: onaree on 11/22/04 at 1:00 pm

I always liked the 7-up jamacian type guy.  "Ha! Ha! Ha!"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 1:20 pm

Or the 7UP spot.

http://web.ivenue.com/customphones/images/7upspot.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/04 at 2:19 pm

The Californian Raisins (I still remember their Claymation Christmas Special), the "Where's The Beef" lady, and Ray Charles's "You Got The Right One, Baby, UH, UH)!

Tanya

Written By: Elvis on 11/22/04 at 2:47 pm

The Californian Raisins (I still remember their Claymation Christmas Special), the "Where's The Beef" lady, and Ray Charles's "You Got The Right One, Baby, UH, UH)!

Tanya

Hey Tanya, Oh no not "Where's the beef?" Us guys had to hear that from the girls all the time. By the way Tanya, I looked for your response on the Monday Night Football thread??? Us macho guys need a woman's view on that subject. "Help" (a litttle Beatles for you there)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 2:53 pm

Tanya

I remember see the Christmas special! I especially like the dinosaurs and the waffle song!
::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/04 at 3:57 pm

I remember the waffle song!!! I liked the the glass mosaic. It was out of a church or something.

Tanya

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/04 at 3:59 pm

I remember the waffle song!!! I liked the the glass mosaic. It was out of a church or something.

Tanya

Here we go a waffling.....  ;D Mmmmmmmmmmm..... Waffles....  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/04 at 5:23 pm

Here we go a waffling.....  ;D Mmmmmmmmmmm..... Waffles....  ;D

Ha!  ;D

Tanya

Written By: guest on 08/08/05 at 3:05 pm

Tanya

Uhm....I do believe "You Got The Right One Baby, Uh Huh" was from the early 90's. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 08/08/05 at 4:14 pm

The California Raisins.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 6:11 pm

8) I liked SPUDS..The horrible thing is that right when he was popular one day I was walking to the 7-11 and there was a SPUDS on the side of the road that had been hit..it was soo sad..The raisins freaked me out..

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/08/05 at 11:05 pm

For me on a local standpoint, here in southern cal, it would be

Jim Varney, as ernest in the cerritos auto square commercials. You know wadda mean Vern?
Varney is known for Ernest Goes To Camp.

Cal Worthington, his car dealership in long beach. Loved his jiggle. Go see cal, go see cal.    ???    For those of you who saw his commercials, tell me the truth, did you think it was that? Not me!  ;D

Written By: nally on 08/08/05 at 11:14 pm

Jim Varney, as ernest in the cerritos auto square commercials. You know wadda mean Vern?

Cal Worthington, his car dealership in long beach. Loved his jiggle. Go see cal, go see cal.    ???    For those of you who saw his commercials, tell me the truth, did you think it was that? Not me!  ;D

I grew up seeing both of those guys in their car commercials, being that I've lived in So-Cal all my life. Jim Varney (who passed away a few years back) was always known for saying "Hey Vern!" in those ads.

The Cal Worthington commercials (which I still see these days) were okay too. I, too, remember the "go see cal" jingle from way back when. When I was little I actually misheard them as "juicy cow." ::)

Written By: rip_jeans on 08/08/05 at 11:26 pm

I grew up seeing both of those guys in their car commercials, being that I've lived in So-Cal all my life. Jim Varney (who passed away a few years back) was always known for saying "Hey Vern!" in those ads.

The Cal Worthington commercials (which I still see these days) were okay too. I, too, remember the "go see cal" jingle from way back when. When I was little I actually misheard them as "juicy cow." ::)

Well I guess you didn't have a dirty mind. I always thought it was....p***y cow, for his dog spot, which was a tiger.

Written By: pell on 08/09/05 at 12:40 am

Jim Varney's "Earnest" was actually a nation-wide property. Here in Louisiana he sold aluminum siding.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/09/05 at 8:43 am

Jim Varney was really popular here in Tennessee as well..I loved those old commercials..There is a local commercial running now for a title loan co. with a guy imitating Jim Varney..wierd!

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/09/05 at 9:17 am

OH Yeah I heard it through the grape vine!  ;D

I loved those raisins! Also agree with Jamie on the 7 Up dot.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/09/05 at 7:19 pm

Other: Mc Gruff The Crime Dog.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/09/05 at 8:51 pm

Spuds

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/10/05 at 12:43 am

Though I wasn't born in the 80s, I do recall the California Raisins really well, so I voted for them.

Written By: Chrisrj on 08/10/05 at 1:32 am

I thought the Energizer Bunny was from 1990... oh well, close enough, huh?

I chose the Noid :P

Written By: TC1970 on 08/10/05 at 6:06 am

I picked other and choose Morris the cat.

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/10/05 at 5:34 pm

Other: Mc Gruff The Crime Dog.

Yeah dude! I forgot about Mc Gruff!!!!! He was cool! Have to see if I can find him on line.

Check for new replies or respond here...