inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember Big Wheels?

Written By: Rhiannon on 11/24/04 at 2:51 pm

Awesome toy! Why don't they make them anymore?

Subject: Re: Anyone remember Big Wheels?

Written By: gord on 11/24/04 at 4:42 pm

how funny, I was just asking someone about big wheels a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if they were still being made. I remember them as a kid in the early 70's :)

I'd like to know the reason too why they're not on the market??

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/24/04 at 6:23 pm

how funny, I was just asking someone about big wheels a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if they were still being made. I remember them as a kid in the early 70's :)

I'd like to know the reason too why they're not on the market??

Here's a website that may intrest everyone... hope it helps!

http://www.gearboxtoys.com/bigwheel.html

Written By: jayblaq on 11/25/04 at 7:58 am

Yes of course I remember mine!  Classic!

Written By: JamesMcDone on 11/25/04 at 4:05 pm

I can't believe that they are back.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/04 at 7:08 pm

I think I remember having one when I was about 5 years old.

Howard

Written By: dinikid on 11/25/04 at 8:12 pm

I remeber an urban ledgend going around about Big Wheels. They said this kids front tire wore out (remember they were made of hard plastic) and a piece chipped off and lodged into his skull. Remember click-clacks? they were hard glass balls you banged together hahaha

Written By: Davester on 11/25/04 at 9:30 pm

Hey, wow!  Forgot about these...

Big Wheels were the shiznik with my friends and I.  Everybody had one of these although memories of my Big Wheel are more from the mid/late 70's rather than the 80's.  Got mine at a Toys-R-Us.

Don't know about the urban legend but I do recall the thin plastic wheels wearing out pretty quickly after riding them on the pavement in front of the house, not cool...

Written By: AL-B on 11/26/04 at 2:18 pm

I loved that "spinout lever", which was that hand brake that would lock up one of the back tires and you'd spin out. Also, I remember we'd turn out Big Wheels upside down and turn the front wheel with the pedals and pretend it was an "ice cream machine."

Written By: MLB on 12/01/04 at 7:50 pm

yep, we raced ours(even tho we were "only" girls) up and down the sidewalk all year the christmas we got them. I think it was about 83?  The majority of the body was all blue with I think yellow handles.  We crashed and stopped fast quite often speeding too fast down the sidewalk that had a steep decent right into the street.  usually tho' our condo'complex didn't get a lot of daytime traffic so we were alright.

Written By: tracie on 12/07/04 at 12:09 am

I've still got my Big Wheel out in the garage!  My husband wants me to throw it away, but no way!  It's the pink and blue one.  :)  My front tire is worn all the way through. 

ICE CREAM MACHINE - Ok, my sister and I used to put our Big Wheels upside down and play ice cream machine.  WHY DID WE CALL IT THAT?!  I mean, where does that come from?  When I think of it now I have no clue why we thought it was an ice cream machine.  Is it from something?!

Check for new replies or respond here...