inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1 40 Most Awesomely Bad Metal Songs

Written By: woops on 11/26/04 at 2:48 am

Another "Awesomely Bad" VH1 list...  ::)

40. Judas Priest "Turbo Love" Not one of their best.
39. Jackyl "The Lumberjack"
38. Grim Reaper "See You In Hell"
37. Iron Maiden "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" Also not one of their best...
36. Creed "Higher" Awful band & song, but Creed's not metal.
35. Green Jelly "Three Little Pigs"  Guilty pleasure.
34. Ace Frehley "Rock Soldiers"
33. Dio "The Last In Line" Not my fave. Though I never heard the song.
32. Guns N' Roses "Estranged" Not one of their best, shouldn't be listed.
31. Loudness "Crazy Nights"
30. Bulletboys "Smooth Up In Ya"  Disagree
29. Accept "B___s To The Wall"
28. Slaughter "Up All Night" Guilty pleasure.
27. Trixter "Give It To Me Good"
26. Helix "Rock You"
25. Marilyn Mason "I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me)" Should be in the top 10.
24. Motley Crue "Without You" Not my favorite song, but shouldn't be listed.
23. Dokken "Breaking The Chains" Disagree
22. Van Halen (with Gerry Cherone of Extreme as their 3rd & final lead singer) "Without You"
21. Quiet Riot "Party All Night"
20. Danzig "Mother"
19. Vixen "Edge Of A Broken Heart" Cheesy song, guilty pleasure of mine...  :-X
18. Manowar "Blow Your Speakers"
17. The Scorpions "Wind Of Change" Not my favorite song, but doesn't belong on this list...
16. Queensryche "Silent Lucitidy"  Ditto
15. Whitesnake "Here I Go Again" Disagree
14. Britny Fox "Girlschool"
13. Insane Clown Posse "Tilt A Whirl"
12. Hear N' Aid "Stars" Funny how this was VH1's #1 Most Metal Moment  ::)  :P Also agree it's bad.
11. Autograph "Turn Up The Radio" Another guilty pleasure
10. Limp Bizkit "My Way"
9. Cinderella "Nobody's Fool" Disagree
8. White Lion "Wait" Disagree
7. Ugly Kid Joe "Everything About You" Disagree
6. Stryper "Honestly"
5. Winger "Seventeen" The only song from Winger I can tolerate. Guilty pleasure
4. Poison "Unskinny Bop" Disagree
3. Kiss "Forever" Strongly disagree!!! It's co written by Michael Bolton. So what it's not like a duet or something, which would've been far worse.
2. Warrant "Cherry Pie" Disagree, another guilty pleasure.
1. Europe "The Final Countdown" Guilty pleasure, shouldn't be on this list.

Strangely, Nelson isn't on the list. And there wasn't a lot of numetal songs nor other bands like Slayer, A  System Of A Down, Kid Rock, POD,  and Slipknot. Not even one from Metallica, post "Load" album. Like "Fuel" :P

How I would've ranked the list:
Leaving out numetal since I'm not a fan of most of the genre. (If Faith No More counts)

10. Twisted Sister "Leader Of The Pack" (Though I like "I Wanna Rock" & "We're Not Gonna Take It")
9.  Danzig "Mother"
8. Helix "Rock You"
7. Manowar "Blow Your Speakers"
6. Accept "B___s To The Wall"
5. Grim Reaper "See You In Hell"
4. Hear N' Aid "Stars"
3. Stryper "Honesty"
2. Winger "Easy Come, Easy Go"
1. Nelson "(Can't Live Without Your)  Love & Affection"

Subject: Re: VH1 40 Most Awesomely Bad Metal Songs

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/26/04 at 3:23 am

I think they listed these songs b/c of their cheesiness. I love many of these songs when they first came out. However, I was a preteen to a teenager at the time (I didn't know any better  :-[ ). While I loved them then, some are laughable now.

Though I still love Unskinny Bop and Here I Go Again.

Tanya

Written By: Crazy4The80s on 11/26/04 at 3:50 am

Only if I had cable again...oh now how I am itchin to have it since I missed a decent show.  :\'(
Blah no matter...maybe something good might show up on basic tv!  ??? Eh if all else fails...crank up the music and play some video games.  8)
Amy H.  :-*

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/04 at 10:42 am

Wow... they listed some pretty songs!!!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 11/26/04 at 11:25 am

I cant see including #30, 17, 16, 9, 8, 5, 2, 1.  They arent what Id call bad songs.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 11/26/04 at 4:45 pm

I think that dreadful Stryper song is actually called "Honestly". I went to a Christian school and had to put up with the bloody thing ad nauseum. I must admit I loved their rendition of "Battle Hymn Of The Republic", that guy had an awesome voice and he was almost as pretty as Boy George! I would have substituted another Whitesnake song, for "Here I Go Again", a horrible little ditty called "Guilty Of Love". And what about Bon Jovi's "Never Say Goodbye"? PEEEEEEUKE!!!!

Written By: roboqueen on 11/27/04 at 12:15 am

Metal is one of those things that you can't really say you just love it, cause ther are so many bad metal songs. So many bad metal bands.
It's also something you can't really say you just hate either, cause there are so many Great metal songs & metal bands.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/27/04 at 8:38 am

Personally, I could care less if I never heard most of the songs on this list, but one sticks out as a very strange candidate to be there in the first place :

"17. The Scorpions "Wind Of Change" " ?  :o

This is a METAL song ?  :o :o :o :o :o

What defines metal then ?  It doesn't sound very metal to me !  :)

Written By: woops on 11/28/04 at 12:07 am

A song I'd add: "Monkey Business" by Skid Row  :P

I've heard  Rikki Ractman, host of the orignal "Headbangers Ball" and this VH1 special, claimed that he strongley disliked many of the artists (mostly hair bands)  that were played on the show. Which might be the reason why he looked uninterested when he was interviewing the bands & introducing the videos. Atleast he was familiar with the genre. Unlike Adam Curry.

Written By: BM on 11/28/04 at 12:00 pm

It always amazes me how little the music media knows about categorizing music.  Nearly all of the bands on the "metal" list are rock, hard rock or glam rock or grunge.  I used to watch the Headbangers ball and complain about the hair bands that were clearly not metal at all.  I'd be okay if they called it the "VH1 Most Awesomely Bad Songs from the Headbangers Ball...Sorry Folks, These Were Our Fault".  I remember making fun of Stryper fans when I was in grade school.  VH1 always has lists with people who shouldn't be on them.  Their list of the "Top 100 Women In Rock" included Madonna, Salt-N-Peppa, Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah.  I bet they would be just as surprised to find out that they were Rock Artists as Britny Fox would be to share company with Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Metallica in the Heavy Metal category.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/04 at 1:03 pm

I am not a metal fan, but I do agree with...

36. Creed "Higher"

Creed is ok,but that song was over played, beside they are more of Pearl Jam light than anything.

22. Van Halen (with Gerry Cherone of Extreme as their 3rd & final lead singer) "Without You"

Seriously, how many people "actually" bought that album?  ;D  ::)

10. Limp Bizkit "My Way"

I hate the band, and besides Fred Durst is a real jerk an a idiot.

and

Nelson "(Can't Live Without Your) Love & Affection"

Thanks... Now I can't get that stupid song out of my head!  ::)

I disagree with....

35. Green Jelly "Three Little Pigs"

Really funny and twisted!!!!  ;D

17. The Scorpions "Wind Of Change

16. Queensryche "Silent Lucitidy"

15. Whitesnake "Here I Go Again

1.  Europe "The Final Countdown"

Written By: Powerslave on 11/29/04 at 9:57 pm

Another "Awesomely Bad" VH1 list...  ::)

40. Judas Priest "Turbo Love" -- certainly one of their worst
39. Jackyl "The Lumberjack" -- :)
38. Grim Reaper "See You In Hell"
37. Iron Maiden "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" -- not a good song
36. Creed "Higher" -- Creed is not metal
35. Green Jelly "Three Little Pigs" 
34. Ace Frehley "Rock Soldiers"
33. Dio "The Last In Line" -- disagree
32. Guns N' Roses "Estranged" -- No. This shouldn't be here.
31. Loudness "Crazy Nights"
30. Bulletboys "Smooth Up In Ya" 
29. Accept "B___s To The Wall"
28. Slaughter "Up All Night"
27. Trixter "Give It To Me Good"
26. Helix "Rock You"
25. Marilyn Mason "I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me)"
24. Motley Crue "Without You" -- there are many worse songs than this
23. Dokken "Breaking The Chains" -- whoever thought of this list is on drugs if this song is on it
21. Quiet Riot "Party All Night"
20. Danzig "Mother"
19. Vixen "Edge Of A Broken Heart"
18. Manowar "Blow Your Speakers"
17. The Scorpions "Wind Of Change"
16. Queensryche "Silent Lucitidy"  -- no Queensryche song could make this list
15. Whitesnake "Here I Go Again" -- more drugs
14. Britny Fox "Girlschool" -- even more drugs
13. Insane Clown Posse "Tilt A Whirl" -- ICP aren't metal.
12. Hear N' Aid "Stars" -- this is a bad song.
11. Autograph "Turn Up The Radio"
10. Limp Bizkit "My Way" -- Limp Bizkit aren't metal
9. Cinderella "Nobody's Fool" -- even more drugs
8. White Lion "Wait"
7. Ugly Kid Joe "Everything About You" -- this song is awesome
6. Stryper "Honestly"
5. Winger "Seventeen"
4. Poison "Unskinny Bop"
3. Kiss "Forever" --  :(
2. Warrant "Cherry Pie" -- :)
1. Europe "The Final Countdown" --  ;D 

VH1 is on crack.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/04 at 10:04 pm

The video for "Three Little Pigs" by Green Jelly is one of my favorite videos! It's very funny!

Written By: Chiasmus on 12/02/04 at 7:52 pm

Yes, I also find it strange that "Stars" is on this list, but yet, the concept of Stars was rated #1 on metal moments?..Anything to fill in the slots I guess. I strongly disagree with having Danzig on here, considering they aren't metal at the least, and Mother is one of the greatest songs ever made, not just to old timing music fans, but even high school kids dig it. Creed, ICP, Limp Bizkit? They could have gotten the list mixed up, because those 3 deserve to be on the music performers who should have never met list. Also, I don't understand how Poison is on this list, but Damn Yankees isn't? And "lmao" with "Forever" being at #3! Hell, it shouldn't be on this list, but they had the nerve to put it in the top 10, I've lost a lot of respect for Vh1 after watching this show..

Written By: Powerslave on 12/03/04 at 12:18 am

Yes, I also find it strange that "Stars" is on this list, but yet, the concept of Stars was rated #1 on metal moments?..

I think the concept of "Stars" was great, but the song itself is pretty ordinary.

Written By: migi on 12/03/04 at 6:33 am

Europe is nr.1 in most Awesomely GREAT Metal Songs - not bad!
>:(

Written By: mitch1987 on 12/03/04 at 12:42 pm

IMO, this is a great list of some of my favorite songs. How is breaking the chains by Dokken a bad song? lol..guess its all a matter of opinion. I agree that mother is a great song. As are most of the others. And finally...STARS is awesome!! I have always had the tape and the other day I found the record at a secondhand store for 5 dollars (Canadian).

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/03/04 at 12:49 pm

How can you have that list without including "Bang" by the Soviet metal band Gorky Park?

Written By: Chiasmus on 12/03/04 at 8:05 pm

I as well like a lot of the songs on this list, however some are well deserved.  I'm not a fan of Cherry Pie, nor Final Countdown, or Turbo Love, and for that matter, as being a big Manowar fan, Blow Your Speakers was one of their worst.  However, Forever, Breaking the Chains, Wind of Change (Still remains one of the greatest songs),Silent Lucitidy, The Last in Line are all great songs. Ugly Kid Joe doesnt deserve to be on this list, because of the name, and the lyrics of Everything About You are cool as heck yo, haha. I always did like that song..

Written By: Warstar on 12/04/04 at 3:33 am

What The hell, I knew they would put the final countdown on this list I just predicted it.
For some reason Vh1 seems to  hate europe and this particular song. funny though because when europe released the Final Countdown in 1986 it went #1 in 18 different countries (including the U.S.), and sold over 6 and 1/2 million copies. Also wind of change by the scorpions should not be on that list at all! I guess it is kind of understandable that the final countdown was on there considering there are alot of people these days who hate this kind of music these days (times have changed)http:// but wind of change?
come on, that song has alot of meaning to it.
  Anyway if Vh1 even put these songs on that list the people who thought up that show are a bunch of dumbasses. >:(             

Written By: woops on 12/04/04 at 4:51 pm

What The hell, I knew they would put the final countdown on this list I just predicted it.
... considering there are alot of people these days who hate this kind of music these days (times have changed)http:// but wind of change?
come on, that song has alot of meaning to it.
  Anyway if Vh1 even put these songs on that list the people who thought up that show are a bunch of dumbasses. >:(               

I also don't get why these bands are trashed today. (Or since the '90's, think of those  "Beavis & Butt-Head" video commentaries)

Though it might changed. Remember when disco was considered as garabage (Though I still don't like disco) until it made a comeback in the mid 1990's.

Other "Awesomely Bad" VH1 lists:  :P

"Top 100 One Hit Wonders" ...many of the artists had more than one hit. Like Quiet Riot, Men Without Hats ("Safety Dance" & "Pop Goes The World"), A-Ha ("Take On Me", "The Sun Always Shine On TV"), Twisted Sister, and a couple others. Not to mention lacking one hit wonders from the early '60's & 1950's.

100 Greatest Women In Rock...mentioned on another post, many artists aren't rock like Madonna, Salt N' Pepa, Dolly Parton, and the #1 artist Aretha Franlkin, she's one of the greatest singers, but she's more R&B than rock.

Top 80 of the '80's... a music video list. "Thriller" ranked at #8 while "Billie Jean", also from Michael Jackson, is placed at #1.

Top 40 Hair Bands of All Time... some of the artists (Kiss, Tesla, The Scorpions) aren't really hair bands. And Posion was ranked at #1. I like Poison, but I think Def Leppard or Motley Crue should've been on the top spot.
Well atleast they didn't ranked Nelson.

Top 50 Teen Idols... "B.S." is #1. And no Madonna, Elvis Presley, The Beatles,  Rick Nelson, and mostly current top acts listed. C'mon. Atleast  Debbie Gibson had more talent than any of today's over sexed pop singers. 

200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons  Some of their lists have nothing to do with music and this is a good example. Oprah was ranked #1. Enough said. :P And many current junk ranked higher than legends like The Beatles & even Bugs Bunny.

Top 100 Greatest Music Videos... So & So...it's the only fair list. Though there's many junk like Britney Spears, Creed, Cher, Shania Twain, "Thank U" Alanis Morissette, etc. I prefer MTV's 100 Greatest List instead.

I agree that  those people from VH1 are a bunch of dumb___es.  :P

Either they're on drugs or ranked by picking folded paper from a hat.  Whatever happened to the good ol' days when it was music videos ("The Big 80's", "Rock Show", "History of Music Video A to Z", etc). The same for MTV.

Written By: Pun1$3r on 12/12/04 at 12:22 am

I wasn't alive when most of these songs were released in the eighties but I love the music and some of the songs are an insult for being on that list. Those songs kick ass (except for ICP, Limp Bizket, and Cred)

Check for new replies or respond here...