inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Cheers star attempts suicide

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/28/04 at 2:31 am

How sad that she has reached this point.

Cheers star ODs
November 28, 2004

CHEERS star Shelley Long is recovering after taking an overdose of pain killers.
The 55-year-old actor was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital after the apparent suicide attempt, brought on by the collapse of her 22-year marriage.

Long, best known as waitress Diane Chambers in the long running 1980s comedy series Cheers, is said to have barely eaten or left her bed in the months leading up to the overdose.

Friends said the end of her marriage to securities-broker Bruce Tyson triggered her depression.

A friend told the Sun newspaper "a week ago, Shelley, who lives alone, kept the curtains drawn. She wasn't eating. She has always been thin, but she was almost skeletal."
Details on the November 17 suicide attempt surfaced after Long's mother confirmed to the New York Post that her daughter had just been released after being treated for an overdose at Los Angeles's UCLA hospital.

The Sunday Telegraph - Sydney

Subject: Re: 80s Cheers star attempts suicide

Written By: Richard Head on 11/28/04 at 10:08 am

Whiney rich bitch looking for attention.  People, I've got news for you.  It's not THAT DAMN HARD to kill yourself.  There are many, many formidable ways to do it, if you actually want to die.
 Obviously, Ms. Long didn't want that.  This was simply a "cry for help" (a.k.a. publicity stunt) to get Ms. Long back into the papers and on the news shows.  (Really, when was the last time you heard the name Shelly Long, outside of Cheers?").
 This is, unfortunatly, a Hollywood staple, and it really pisses me off.
 I hate to say this, but if somebody REALLY want's to kill themselves, they will.  These are the people we should be looking out for, and helping, and paying attention to.  But, when a wealthy, selfish rich-(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women) puts on a little "suicide SHOW" to get attention....fudge OFF.

Real people have real problems in the real world.  Ms. Shelly Long. Either pull your head out, or die.   Either way, it won't change my life.....I work for a living.

Cheers star ODs
November 28, 2004

CHEERS star Shelley Long is recovering after taking an overdose of pain killers.
The 55-year-old actor was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital after the apparent suicide attempt, brought on by the collapse of her 22-year marriage.

Long, best known as waitress Diane Chambers in the long running 1980s comedy series Cheers, is said to have barely eaten or left her bed in the months leading up to the overdose.

Friends said the end of her marriage to securities-broker Bruce Tyson triggered her depression.

A friend told the Sun newspaper "a week ago, Shelley, who lives alone, kept the curtains drawn. She wasn't eating. She has always been thin, but she was almost skeletal."
Details on the November 17 suicide attempt surfaced after Long's mother confirmed to the New York Post that her daughter had just been released after being treated for an overdose at Los Angeles's UCLA hospital.

The Sunday Telegraph - Sydney

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/28/04 at 12:05 pm

Whiney rich b*tc* looking for attention.  People, I've got news for you.  It's not THAT darn HARD to kill yourself.  There are many, many formidable ways to do it, if you actually want to die.
 Obviously, Ms. Long didn't want that.  This was simply a "cry for help" (a.k.a. publicity stunt) to get Ms. Long back into the papers and on the news shows.  (Really, when was the last time you heard the name Shelly Long, outside of Cheers?").
 This is, unfortunatly, a Hollywood staple, and it really pisses me off.
 I hate to say this, but if somebody REALLY want's to kill themselves, they will.  These are the people we should be looking out for, and helping, and paying attention to.  But, when a wealthy, selfish rich-(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women) puts on a little "suicide SHOW" to get attention....f*c* OFF.

Real people have real problems in the real world.  Ms. Shelly Long. Either pull your head out, or die.   Either way, it won't change my life.....I work for a living.

What kind of insensitive cheap shot was THAT?! While I agree that people who are truly suicidal will go through with their suicide attempt without breathing a word to anyone, Shelly Long just so happens to be an actress. And the life of any famous person is constantly under a microscope. I highly doubt she intended for the media to hear about her inner tumoil. However, since she is a well-known celebrity, they obviously found out about it. I do NOT think this was any sort of publicity stunt AT ALL. The woman's 22 year marriage fell apart and she sunk into a very deep depression. It happens to a lot of people. Just so happens that the rest of the world found out about her situation because of her fame.

As for how hard it is to kill yourself...a lot of attempts are unsuccessful, you know.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/28/04 at 12:29 pm

What kind of insensitive cheap shot was THAT?! While I agree that people who are truly suicidal will go through with their suicide attempt without breathing a word to anyone, Shelly Long just so happens to be an actress. And the life of any famous person is constantly under a microscope. I highly doubt she intended for the media to hear about her inner tumoil. However, since she is a well-known celebrity, they obviously found out about it. I do NOT think this was any sort of publicity stunt AT ALL. The woman's 22 year marriage fell apart and she sunk into a very deep depression. It happens to a lot of people. Just so happens that the rest of the world found out about her situation because of her fame.

As for how hard it is to kill yourself...a lot of attempts are unsuccessful, you know.

Absolutely Vile

Well put, AV.  :)

I feel bad for Shelly Long and hope she is able to pull through this okay.

Written By: Davester on 11/28/04 at 12:55 pm

Yeah, ditto for me.  She really is still a babe.  Kirsty Alley's "Rebecca" never could fill "Diane's" shoes on Cheers, IMO...

After thinking about it for a second and despite her ordeal, I must add her to my Celebrities I'd Like To Spend The Day/Night With", but in this case, day, not day...or um, night, rather...yeah, night...

We're rooting for ya, Shelly...

Okay, okay...I'll shut-up...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/04 at 3:04 pm

Well put, AV.  :)

Ditto on both points.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/28/04 at 6:40 pm

Couldn't have said it any better, AV!

Tanya

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/28/04 at 7:24 pm

That is terrible.  I wish her a speedy recovery (and agree with what Absolutely Vile stated above).

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/28/04 at 7:47 pm

Thanks, all, for the kind words. What pisses me off is ignorance like that, thinking that celebrities themselves are not real people with real problems. Of course they are. If one tries to commit suicide, it's because of a real problem. They are not just trying to get attention. Their lives are constantly put under a microscope and every single move they make is documented by the press. Every part of their private lives is open to the public - even the not-so-glamourous parts that the celebrities themselves would rather the public not see!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 11/28/04 at 8:24 pm

I hope Shelley Long feels better. :(

Howard

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/28/04 at 10:07 pm

Get well soon.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/01/04 at 9:51 am

Thanks, all, for the kind words. What pisses me off is ignorance like that, thinking that celebrities themselves are not real people with real problems. Of course they are. If one tries to commit suicide, it's because of a real problem. They are not just trying to get attention. Their lives are constantly put under a microscope and every single move they make is documented by the press. Every part of their private lives is open to the public - even the not-so-glamourous parts that the celebrities themselves would rather the public not see!

Absolutely Vile

Very well said and so true.

And personally - I just ignore unregistered prats who are honest enough to call themselves what they actually are - ie RichardD*ckHead.  Taking cheap shots anonomously is pretty friggen cowardly.

As for suicide vs cry for help - both are equally traumatic.  I have buried three suicided friends in the past 3 years and have another who overdoses basically twice a month and ends up being locked in the mental ward for days at a time - yes of course its a cry for help - a bloody serious cry for help.  I dont know of anyone thick enough to confuse a cry for help with a publicity stunt.

Anna Nicole Smith is a publicity stunt.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/01/04 at 10:35 am

The link didn't work anymore but THIS is all that was in our local paper....nothing about "Suicide"  ???

"Cheers" actress Shelley Long was back home in Los Angeles after being hospitalized briefly for taking a dose of medication to treat back pain and the drug made her ill, her manager said.
"Shelley took an extra pain pill for her back, which she hurt when she fell on the set of 'Cheers' many years ago," Martin Mickelson told The Associated Press.
"She had a reaction to it....but she is now at home and is doing just fine."

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/01/04 at 7:35 pm

Shelley Long was born in Fort Wayne, so this is very depressing news indeed.  :\'(
Does anyone know why her husband left her? This Tyson guy sounds like a real a**hole, just like Mike. >:(

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 7:43 pm

I'm glad she's at home feeling much better.I wish her the best of luck. :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/11/04 at 6:37 pm

Shelley Long was born in Fort Wayne, so this is very depressing news indeed.  :\'(
Does anyone know why her husband left her? This Tyson guy sounds like a real a**hole, just like Mike. >:(
I still don't think it was a suicide attempt!

Written By: Howard on 12/11/04 at 7:05 pm

Maybe it was fame and fortune. :(

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/04 at 6:13 pm

The link didn't work anymore but THIS is all that was in our local paper....nothing about "Suicide"  ???

"Cheers" actress Shelley Long was back home in Los Angeles after being hospitalized briefly for taking a dose of medication to treat back pain and the drug made her ill, her manager said.
"Shelley took an extra pain pill for her back, which she hurt when she fell on the set of 'Cheers' many years ago," Martin Mickelson told The Associated Press.
"She had a reaction to it....but she is now at home and is doing just fine."

I had heard this too and hope it is true.  Either way I wish her a speedy recovery and if she indeed attempted suicide I wish her the help she needs.

Plus a big "yeah that" to both of AV's posts. :)

Written By: Howard on 12/12/04 at 6:25 pm

I wish her the best of luck.We don't need another death of a TV actress. :(

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...